1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strategies Follow Rules, But Rules Are Made To Be Broken

Discussion in 'General Forex Talk' started by mayorspread, Dec 3, 2008.

1. mayorspread

mayorspread Recruit

I have been studying about Technical Analysis for about 3 years now. I have used some strategies that have worked really great. But I have come to understand that successes don’t depend of the indicator or the strategy you use; it depends on how good you use the tools you have. And for tools I mean indicators, resources and knowledge. You must have the knowledge to indentify which indicator is the best to use in a particular situation and how much of your account you are willing to risk.

In order to make myself clear I give you an example. I develop a simple strategy. I use Bollinger Bands and a 15 EMA cross to confirm the signal and I trade under trendlines channels. So, I was trading in my 5 mins timeframe on December 1th as usual with a simple strategy. I was selling within this tunnel when I identify a very familiar pattern. At the beginning I didn’t recognize what it was, but I was shocked when I realize that I was facing a perfect Elliot’s wave formation. I have studied about this patterns formations and honestly I thought it was something very difficult to understand and very unlikely to happen. But look at the chart!!!

So I take advantage of the situation and I enter when the 5th wave formation was confirmed. I set my target in the support trendline. When the trend hit my take profit and it cross the support trendline. As it was expected the trend continues with a trend correction. I had seen an old support level before. So after the downtrend was confirm I set that support level as my next target. In fact, when the trend touched the support level it bounced back and the 15 EMA confirm a change of direction in the trend. As I was sure of the Elliot’s waves I set the next target just below my old trenline recently form as a resistance trendline. At this point my feeling get into play and I decided to wait for the next wave confirmation. Sadly the 15 EMA become flat and the trend turns irregularly. However, I took a deep breath and I set my last target at the old support level. I wait in this position for at least one and a half hour when the price close under my take profit at 1,2679.

All that said I have made 600 pips in this particular situation which could have only been 67 pips if I have followed just my strategy. A strategy must have its rules and we must follow them strictly. However, we must have a flexible system that allows as to introduce the right tool for the right situation.

Strategies Follow Rules, But Rules Are Made To Be Broken « CharlesMcG’s Blog

Attached Files: