Studying English.

If you want to learn English faster, you should watch more videos and films in English, maybe with subtitles.
That's right. Practicing is the best feature of any activity which somehow relates to languages, whether it's learning or just simply dilation of personal horizon. I guess that there is nothing better than watching movies/series with subtitles (on initial stages) and whats is more important is that one who wants to learn english (every language actually) also must have to note some phrases/phrasal verbs/idioms. It really varies the speech and upgrades writing/speaking skills a lot. There are many ways of learning language, one can just find a eng speaking friend and chatting or talking with interlocutor a lot.

Along with the points that Pharaoh has mentioned, here are a few more things to consider.

Wrong- So, I've wrote the following story
Right- So, I've written the following story/ I wrote the following story.

Wrong- has been suddenly interrupted
Right- was suddenly interrupted

Wrong- Hearing that Mary had lost consciousness
Right- Hearing that Mary lost consciousness

I always feel crappy when non-English speakers apologise for their English when I can't speak any other language with any fluency as a native English speaker.

I always feel crappy when non-English speakers apologise for their English when I can't speak any other language with any fluency as a native English speaker.
Same here. And it brought a smile to my face when they apologized for their english, even after knowing that they are putting extra effort in writing.

Exactly in Irish and don't even speak our native language!
Have had people from Europe and Africa start up conversations with me in Irish and I'm lost !! Embarrassing

Have had people from Europe and Africa start up conversations with me in Irish and I'm lost !! Embarrassing
Sounds the same like the Scottish. :D This language is from another planet.

Once when I was living in Ireland someone thought me how to say "I am 20 years old" in Gaelic. I can still say it even though it is very far from the truth now :D:rolleyes:

Back