Testing programs for non-forex

SystemTrader

Private
I expect the answer to be "no," especially since all my online searching has returned this answer... but I thought someone here might be able to help.

I've built and tested nicely profitable systems for free with MT4, and I'm looking for a program to test those ideas on stocks and futures .. for free.

Aside from pirating, and aside from downloading the free ninjatrader and then paying for data, do you know of a free program I can use for testing? (NinjaTrader would be fine, except I need tick data for realistic testing, which I haven't found to be free for stocks or futures.)

Thank you

I seem to recall a handful of MT4 forex brokers that carried some stocks and stock indexes. The only one I can specifically remember went out of business, but I'll bet there are some other ones.

If you can find one of these, you'll be able to backtest with whatever data they have and to collect tick data going forward.

I seem to recall a handful of MT4 forex brokers that carried some stocks and stock indexes. The only one I can specifically remember went out of business, but I'll bet there are some other ones.

If you can find one of these, you'll be able to backtest with whatever data they have and to collect tick data going forward.

Ok, thank you.

Thanks, but they don't open accounts for US people. I'm going to have to spend money and I'm currently looking at AmiBroker.

Don't spend anything yet. Try on demo accounts first.

If an overseas broker won't let US residents open a demo, get a friend outside the US to do it for you. This will let you test your theories out on a wider array of brokers at no cost/risk to you.

Once you've got something you are confident in, then start working your way through brokers offer what you need and that accept US clients.

Thanks, that's a great idea. Now, to locate this friend .. I'll have to work something out with someone on here

One other option. If they don't block US IPs, there's nothing to stop you from claiming to be in another country to open the demos.

NEVER lie about any info when opening a real account. Feel free to provide fake addresses and phone numbers when opening demos. Brokers don't like it, but I've had far too many sales drones pester me for months after I opened a demo just to track a pair that my broker didn't carry.

Thanks, that's a great idea. I can't setup a demo on finam.eu without a foreign number to recieve a text on, so f-man is helping me with them. In the future it will be a good idea to find similar places where I can signup with a fake number, though.

Thanks a lot for the help. I can finally move on to other markets.

Back