The right to decompile......

MaxDoom

Recruit
Now I know the FPA does a great job in hunting out scammers, and it seems that the 4xProject lot are keen on this too.... But just recently I have recieved more and more alerts saying that different EAs have been opened and the code looks the same as another.......

So what is my beef? well as the creator of a mass market EA I am extremely concerned that people seem to be happy to go around opening up the code especially of the EA they think it is a copy of and which is therefore beyond suspicion. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.... and of course for those EAs sold with a proper licence, contract of sale, and user agreement it is also a legal breach..... If anybody was to open the code of our EA without first getting our consent, even just for compariosn purposes it would be a breach and yes we would enforce our rights fully in a court of law......

:(

Interesting thought. Decompiling a legally purchased copy of code usually violates the End User Licensing Agreement, but I'm not really sure if it the act of decompiling software alone really breaks any laws. Naturally, if someone decompiles something in order to crack licensing codes and/or give/sell it to others, that would definitely be a legal violation.

Back