Trading Journal in Database Form?

ElaineMDG

Corporal
i saw an example of an excellent trading journal on a website that had been done years ago in FileMaker Pro. This was the first template of a journal that had everything I'm looking for as a new trader--but the owner of the website couldn't remember where he found it (it was just a .jpg) and a search on google was futile....well, ALMOST futile; I found one "for sale", ONLY $450!! I even downloaded a couple of database programs to TRY & make my own-but considering my lack of knowledge and experience in databases, I gave up after a few days

Has anybody else seen any database-based trading journals-preferably geared towards Forex?

Are you talking about this one?
No, I'm having trouble with spreadsheets working across my desktop, laptop & iPad-which I need for accessibility.
I actually think I've made something, which has everything I want in it, that I created in a new database program called NINOX. The only problem is that it has a bug in the iPad version-which they've submitted a fix to Apple for. I've actually been in touch with the developers who are interested in using it as a template, (although it's geared towards use in Forex and I think they want a more general trading template; it shouldn't be too hard to tweak)
As soon as they get the bugs worked out and submitted, I'll upload it here!!

Or we can convert you to Microsoft-based computers, tablets, and phones. :D

No, I'm having trouble with spreadsheets working across my desktop, laptop & iPad-which I need for accessibility.
I actually think I've made something, which has everything I want in it, that I created in a new database program called NINOX. The only problem is that it has a bug in the iPad version-which they've submitted a fix to Apple for. I've actually been in touch with the developers who are interested in using it as a template, (although it's geared towards use in Forex and I think they want a more general trading template; it shouldn't be too hard to tweak)
As soon as they get the bugs worked out and submitted, I'll upload it here!!
Now there's an issue. :)

i saw an example of an excellent trading journal on a website that had been done years ago in FileMaker Pro. This was the first template of a journal that had everything I'm looking for as a new trader--but the owner of the website couldn't remember where he found it (it was just a .jpg) and a search on google was futile....well, ALMOST futile; I found one "for sale", ONLY $450!! I even downloaded a couple of database programs to TRY & make my own-but considering my lack of knowledge and experience in databases, I gave up after a few days

Has anybody else seen any database-based trading journals-preferably geared towards Forex?

Why not to use Myfxbook or Fxstat? What difference it has with the program you described?
Thanks.

Why not to use Myfxbook or Fxstat? What difference it has with the program you described?
Thanks.

Ok, sorry-been without Internet access on & off for a few days-they're re-wiring this old house I'm living in. *Hopefully* I'll now have un-interrupted service AND I can run my desktop, laptop and iPad plugged in without blowing a fuse! After losing everything a few years ago in a fire caused by faulty wiring-I tend to be a BIT paranoid about this and have been driving my landlord crazy trying to get him to rewire this place.

I'm new to Forex Trading and, maybe because I'm older, OR its my background in medicine and research; but I'm VERY insistent on recording not only everything I'm learning, (LOVE OneNote for this-SEE Pharoah, I DO use SOME microjunk products! ;)); but in my Demo Trading and Micro Account I'm recording EVERY little, even seemingly insignificant detail, for EVERY trade. This is for my own personal use so that I can go back, review my trades, review my strategies, and find where I'm going wrong and where I can tweak things to do better.
This is the best way I can explain it-but basically, I can't afford to put out a lot of money on courses. Also, after being refused access to several well-known Forex "Gurus" actual 3rd party verified records, (two people actually got nasty with me that I would DARE question their integrity-but still refused to show me ANY records of them actually TRADING); I've become rather cynical when it comes to trusting ANY of these folks to "teach" ME. Also, after following some well-known free educational resources, I found myself mired in indicators-but still confused as to what exactly I was doing.

After reviewing my written record, it became obvious to ME that I needed to step back, get some GOOD material on the Fundamentals, wipe my charts clean, and concentrate on Price Action and Risk Management. I also wanted a digital journal that I can use cross-platform and that I can record all the price information, (Amt, Entry, Stop Loss, Target Price, Exit Price, Swap fees), the risk/reward (percentages/ratios, Margin Req.), pips and percentage gained or lost, My beginning and ending account balance, the text entries, (reason for entry/strategy, reason for exit, and state-of-mind at the time) and finally, a screenshot of the chart.

Yea, I KNOW that seems like over-analyzing (emphasis on "ANAL" if you're into psychology ;) ); AND it certainly wouldn't be the first time I was accused of over-doing it. But I'm also ADD (attention-deficit disorder-yes, adults have it too, especially people with my genetic disorder, which I won't get into), and legally blind. AND, as I said, my background is 25+ years in an emergency room, (recording EVERY last detail) and about 5 years working in a lab doing pharmaceutical research. I tend to be overly detailed oriented, but it helps me to focus on what I'm doing AND in the case of Forex, is helping me learn how Price Action works. Because i'm VERY limited in my available capital, it's also helping me with risk management. Having everything available, literally at my fingertips-on my IPad, also helps at times (like tonight), when sitting up at my desktop isn't the best idea. (I fell this morning, tripped over some wires they'd left out & my genetic disorder makes me extremely susceptible to fractures these days. I've got a minor hip fracture-nothing that will keep me down very long, but sitting up for more than a few minutes at a time-at least for a few days-will be difficult). This has been my main reason for getting into trading-the accessibility.
I'm VERY limited in what I can do, unfortunately. Once I began learning more about trading-and Forex in particular, I was hooked! I've dabbled in Freelance work for the past 8-9 years, but compared to learning the intricacies of economics, the markets and forex trading itself; researching and writing medical and political articles is like watching paint dry!! Ok, well, except for all the threats I've had to deal with after writing even, supposedly non-partisan articles....but I can REALLY do WITHOUT going through that crap! Writing an article that gets picked up by numerous political websites has turned into a VERY risky profession and one that I was more than happy to leave behind! The things that I'm currently learning about money management are also going to come in handy in a few years when my financial situation improves. I'm kicking myself in the butt for not taking advantage of classes that my ex and I were offered when he was writing the program for eTrades software in the 90's. That whole thing about hindsight being 20/20.... ;)

Anyways, that's my Saturday evening novel on why I'm trying to put together my own trading journal. I haven't found any examples online that contain everything I want to include; so, I'm making my own!! ;) I've been working on the formulas while offline today and only need to put them in, probably tomorrow. When I have it all put together AND when Ninox's "fix" is put out on Apple, I'll go ahead and post in in case there's anyone else is interested....although I doubt there's many folks as "anal" as I am when it comes to a trading journal! :)

Last edited:
I can empathize on getting threatened and attacked over writing. One guy recently attacked me for "protecting" a broker - which I'd already marked as SCAM after it got a 3rd Traders Court verdict. I guess I should have written SCAM a few hundred times on the review page to meet his standards.

I can empathize on getting threatened and attacked over writing. One guy recently attacked me for "protecting" a broker - which I'd already marked as SCAM after it got a 3rd Traders Court verdict. I guess I should have written SCAM a few hundred times on the review page to meet his standards.
I can sympathize with your position dear Asst Mod & after reading the scam threads for several months now; I GREATLY admire your patience & persistence! Personally, I wouldn't have the patience to deal with most of those people.
In my case, it was always a case of being "damned if I DID or damned if I DIDN'T". In today's hyper-partisan climate, the SLIGHTEST hint that you even just agreed with one side or the other, could bring hundreds of nasty comments, and yes, threats. And friends that continue trying to write for certain sites, say it's gotten even worse since a certain candidate has unbelievably, risen to the top of one party. Sorry if that's too political-but myself and my friends wrote strictly fact-based articles; often just explaining the contents and background of a Bill making its way through our Congress-Yet, despite taking every precaution possible to just stick with FACTS-we were (are) terribly maligned, threatened, and one friend had readers calling his employer to fire him because they somehow took the article as a slight on their candidate.
I can't decide if it's more of a ZOO or a CIRCUS-but the climate in this Country these days is so bad that my normally non-political 90-something year-old parents have actually called me IN TEARS over the whole situation! And it shows no signs of calming down anytime soon.... :(

Back