Upcoming Signals Overview (August 16~20, 2010)

Henry Liu

Former FPA Special Consultant
Hey folks:

It's Henry Liu here with this week's upcoming news releases... and as usual, I'll be sending you more detailed analysis for each and every one of the releases listed below just a day prior to their schedules. This week is GBP week, because we'll be trading MPC Minutes, CPI, and Retail Sales... We may also get some pre-news trading opportunities... Exciting times!

1. Tue August 17, 2010 4:30am EDT - UK CPI y/y
Historical Chart & Data

2. Wed August 18, 2010 4:30am EDT - UK MPC Meeting Minutes

3. Thu August 19, 2010 4:30am EDT - UK Retail Sales
Historical Chart & Data

4. Fri August 20, 2010 7:00am EDT - CA Core CPI
Historical Chart & Data

...and some untradable releases...

1. Mon August 16, 2010 9:00am EDT - US TIC Long-Term Purchases: Market just ignores this release.
  2. Tue August 17, 2010 5:00am EDT - EU German Zew Sentiment: Generally fundamental indicators do very little for the EUR.
  3. Tue August 17, 2010 8:30am EDT - U.S. Building Permits & PPI: Both releases are untradable because housing market has not changed much and inflation is not a primary concern for the Feds.
  4. Thu August 19, 2010 8:30am EDT - US Unemployment Claims: This is a weekly report, market impact is minimum.
  5. Thu August 19, 2010 10:00am EDT - US Philly Fed. Index: Only in extreme surprise releases we are likely t0 see market move. This is normally not tradable.

Like stated before, this week is GBP week, we'll have to focus on Sterling as that's the currency most traders will be looking at.

Following the tradition, let's look at once again how the market ended last week & previous to last week.

The week of (8/2~6):

EUR gained 1.5% against USD
GBP gained 2.0% against USD
CAD remained unchanged
AUD gained 1.5% against USD
NZD gained 1.0% against USD
JPY gained 1.0% against USD
CHF remained unchanged

...and last week (8/9~13)

EUR lost 4.0% against USD
GBP lost 2.5% against USD
CAD lost 1.5% against USD
AUD lost 3.0% against USD
NZD lost 3.5% against USD
JPY lost 1.0% against USD
CHF lost 1.5% against USD

...clearly anyone who traded last week would agree that market trend has changed from dumping USD to buying USD, mostly due to risk aversion sentiment as general market seeks the safety of US Treasuries.

As I've said time and again, when we have a strong week, such as the one we saw last week, we are most likely to see some consolidation before the market moves further. I do believe that the short-term trend has changed towards pro-USD, but we may see some rebounding and consolidation... therefore, I believe we could get better positioning if we just remain a bit patient.

I'd still be looking to go LONG on USD/JPY and USD/CAD. I'd be looking at support levels to BUY these pairs if given the chance...

As far as EUR/USD is concerned. I'm eyeing the 1.2900~1.3000 area for possible SELL. Even though EUR/USD is at 1.2750 level at the time of this post, we could get a rally back above those levels on a positive news from Europe, possibly the German Zew Economic Sentiment on Tuesday. The idea is to wait for the release and look for the best area to sell. A positive ZEW release is NOT enough to change the trend on EUR. It may provide temporary support, but eventually EUR/USD will head towards the 1.2000.

As far as GBP is concerned, I'll leave that for the daily analysis.

Thanks,

henry-sig.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Henry - here's to a pip-filled week!

Folks,

I've put together a Google Calendar of Henry's tradable news releases which you can add to your own Google Calendar (if you use Google Calendar!). This gives you the following:
  1. Notifications to your mobile phone via SMS (for free!)
  2. Translates the time into your local timezone
  3. Allows you to see your personal appointments alongside when the news releases are happening

Instructions (you only need to add this once and it will appear every week). See accompanying screenshots attached:
  1. Log into your Google calendar and go to "Other Calendars"
  2. Type in "06nlopqpjr7nnehhgc99igak6k@group.calendar.google.com" (without the quotes and the .com should be one word - you'll need to remove the space)
  3. Now click on the drop-down for your newly added calendar "Henry Liu's Trading Signals". Click on "Calendar settings"
  4. Click on the tab "Notifications". Fill in the reminders you'd like - E-mail, SMS and Pop-up.

If you don't see "SMS" as a drop-down option, you need to configure the settings for your mobile phone in google. Go to your "Settings" (top right) and choose "Mobile Setup" or check Google Calendar Help.

I'll try to update this calendar every Sunday/Monday after Henry releases his weekly review, so you should only need to add the calenar once and from there on you'll get reminders every week to help you trade successfully :)

Hope this helps,

Huwee.

Attachments

• Trading Signals Calendar Sample 1.png
    Trading Signals Calendar Sample 1.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Trading Signals Calendar Instructions 1.png
    Trading Signals Calendar Instructions 1.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,073
  • Trading Signals Calendar Instructions 2.png
    Trading Signals Calendar Instructions 2.png
    2 KB · Views: 1,066
  • Trading Signals Calendar Instructions 3.png
    Trading Signals Calendar Instructions 3.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,066
  • Trading Signals Calendar Instructions 5.png
    Trading Signals Calendar Instructions 5.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,077
thank you very much for your analysis , i would like to inform you that i am a new trader in forex, its the first time to use it , i see that it is very profitable , and i would like to inform you that you by indirect way teach us how to trade professionally
thank you for effort

There is an issue with the FPA's calendar for this week. The programmers are aware of it and are working to fix it as quickly as possible.

Thanks Henry, u are simply a pro...a good one....
I've made more than 300 pips last week.
May God bless u & your family...;)

Back