Upcoming Signals Overview (May 23 ~ 27, 2011)

Henry Liu

Former FPA Special Consultant
Last week, the global market suffocated with the continued rise in global inflation. UK news spark interest as the MPC Meeting Minutes revealed 3-0-6 vote count which kept interest rates at 0.5% despite inflationary pressures to hike rates. Pleasurable weather and the Royal Wedding helped boost retail sales for the month.

Existing home sales in the U.S. turned out poorer than expected. The overall chain reaction of this is that the job market isn’t receiving any support from the housing market.
The week closed with Canadian CPI and Retail reports. Overall, Canada’s economy in April showed a mix signal as inflationary pressure remained persistent yet poor consumer spending threatened recovery.

Here’s what we want to focus on for this week:

1. Tuesday May 24, 2011- 10:00am- US New Home Sales
Historical Chart and Data

2. Wednesday May 25, 2011- 4:30am- UK revised GDP q/q

3. Thursday May 26, 2011- 8:30am- US Prelim GDP q/q

This week, we’ll look to see if the USD will continue gaining strength against a weakening Euro and Yen. Don’t expect the New Home Sales report to be strong as the housing market recovery depends heavily on the employment sector.

To close the week we’ll be looking at UK and US 2nd release of their quarterly GDP reports for Q1 2011. The Revised GDP report for UK should provide minimum volatility as it is expected to be unchanged from the previous GDP release for the same period. The US GDP report, on the other hand, is expected to increase by 0.4% as new data showed faster economic growth in Q1 of 2011. Even thought the Fed isn’t expected to hike interest rates for at least 6 months, recent rise in employment and GDP data should add pressure for a sooner than expected monetary policy change.

Thanks,

henry-sig.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
New to Forex

Hello Henry!

I do appreciate the work that you have done here and i am pretty new to Forex, so i do have my fair share of questions here that i hope you can help me with.

1. When you said that this whole week you will see the US dollar continue to be stronger than the weaken Euro or Yen it basically means short euro/usd and long usd/yen right? What are you expected prices?

2. Is it true that when Gold increases, so does Silver and when Gold decreases so does Silver?

3. Is it true that the more Euro/usd increases the more gold increases?

Thanks Henry!

Folks,

I've updated my Google calendar with the release times above.

If you don't already have it, it gives you the following:
  1. Translates the time into your local timezone
  2. Allows you to see your personal appointments alongside when the news releases are happening
  3. And if you have a Google Calendar account - notifications to your mobile phone via SMS (for free!)

Instructions (you only need to add this once and it will appear every week)

Adding to iPhone:
  1. Send an e-mail to your iPhone with the e-mail body of "webcal://www.google.com/calendar/ical/06nlopqpjr7nnehhgc99igak6k%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics" (without the quotes and remove the extra space before the '.com')
  2. On your iPhone, open the e-mail and click on the link.
  3. When prompted "Subscribe to the calendar: 'FPA's Trading Signals'?", click "Subscribe".
  4. Open your calendar and it will say "The Calendar 'FPA's Trading Signals' has been added"
  5. Click "Done".

Adding to your own Google Calendar and setting SMS notification (see accompanying screenshots attached):
  1. Log into your Google calendar and go to "Other Calendars"
  2. Type in "06nlopqpjr7nnehhgc99igak6k@group.calendar.google.com" (without the quotes and the .com should be one word - you'll need to remove the space)
  3. Now click on the drop-down for your newly added calendar "FPA's Trading Signals". Click on "Calendar settings"
  4. Click on the tab "Notifications". Fill in the reminders you'd like - E-mail, SMS and Pop-up.

If you don't see "SMS" as a drop-down option, you need to configure the settings for your mobile phone in Google. Go to your "Settings" (top right) and choose "Mobile Setup" or check Google Calendar Help.

I update this calendar based on news listed in the FPA & ForexFactory calendar (up to a few months in advance) and then update every week shortly after the official FPA trading signals come out, so you should only need to add the calendar once and from there on you'll get reminders every week to help you trade :)

Hope this helps,

Huwee.

Attachments

• Trading_Signals_Calendar_Instructions.png
    Trading_Signals_Calendar_Instructions.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Trading_Signals_Calendar_Google_Sample.png
    Trading_Signals_Calendar_Google_Sample.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Trading_Signals_Calendar_iPhone_Sample.png
    Trading_Signals_Calendar_iPhone_Sample.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
I Think You've Got It...

Hello Henry!

I do appreciate the work that you have done here and i am pretty new to Forex, so i do have my fair share of questions here that i hope you can help me with.

1. When you said that this whole week you will see the US dollar continue to be stronger than the weaken Euro or Yen it basically means short euro/usd and long usd/yen right? What are you expected prices?

2. Is it true that when Gold increases, so does Silver and when Gold decreases so does Silver?

3. Is it true that the more Euro/usd increases the more gold increases?

Thanks Henry!

Good luck.

Back