1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPS to broker latency question

Discussion in 'General Forex Talk' started by dstarobin, Oct 2, 2011.

1. dstarobin

dstarobin Recruit

Hello. I've been demoing through Forexoma ECN for the past two months, and I'm planning on starting a new demo session with them upon expiration of this one in a few days. This time, I'll be conducting the demo through a Commercial Network Services (CNS) Hyper-V VPS in their NYC datacenter location. CNS lists latency from its NYC datacenter to Forexoma as 113ms. I trade exclusively on H1 H4 and D1 charts. Does anyone know if a latency of 113ms is ok for non-scalp style (i.e. long intraday and swing) trading? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. f-man

f-man 4Xangels Representative

As long as your trades are not during news releases, you should expect a slippage of 2-4 pips.
    There might be positive slippage as well, so I think for swing trading it is ok.

3. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Colonel

Entering using pending orders should help reduce your slippage, since the orders reside on the broker's server.

Overall, if you trade long term and don't try to manually enter/exit during really high or low volatility, 113 ms shouldn't cause you too many issues. If you find that you do need faster access, you ask your broker (and other clients of the broker) to recommend a VPS located closer to their MT4 servers.