What happens to trades when mt4 goes offline

gatts

Recruit
Hello guys

I am a newbie in forex trading and I have a VPS account that am using to run my mt4. Yesterday I found out the servers restarted and subsequently the MT4 application went offline. Luckily I had no positions open but am afraid if that happens with open positions, TP or SL will not be triggered. What exactly happens when MT4 goes offline when one has open positions?

It's best suggested that you use a phone and a strong wifi instead of data connection
Because when data connection is there then there is a chance of data getting dropped and you facing an offline mode.when this happens you will not be able to access anything as mentioned above and may cause loss in your trade.
So be very careful especially if you are a short term day trader

Several things happen.

Any EAs managing your positions are disconnected.

Trailing stops stop trailing.

Hard SL and TP are both enforced - that information is copied to the broker's sever when those stops are set, so you're still protected.

If you don't use SL's and price moves far enough against your positions, you'll get a margin call and lose most or all of your account.

The lesson - no matter what, always have a hard SL set.

Many long-term traders keep positions opened for days/weeks/months. And they don't keep trading platform opened all the time. They just set stop loss and take profit and can close the application.
If you're a short-term trader, unstable internet connection may be a serious problem.

Hello guys

I am a newbie in forex trading and I have a VPS account that am using to run my mt4. Yesterday I found out the servers restarted and subsequently the MT4 application went offline. Luckily I had no positions open but am afraid if that happens with open positions, TP or SL will not be triggered. What exactly happens when MT4 goes offline when one has open positions?

Brokers usually inform traders about that. Run away from your broker if it carries such practices unexpectedly, not informing you in advance.

it is so annoying me when MT4 goes off line. it happens for many reason slow internet connection and poor services by broker are main that are involving in it. When we are ready to open or close any position suddenly off line platform really disturbs.

If MT4 goes offline suddenly during short term trade, then it's a dangerous thing to overcome. Becaus we can't predict what happens in that time of a trade if is open and you want to close it but you cannot.
Be away from such brokers.

After reloading, the price from your current one won't dramatically differ, so you don't have to worry. But I would advise closing the deal on friday because there's a better chance that on opening the market there's gonna be a gap.

There is a special VPS services that allow traders to save your trailing stop from turning off
i use vultr but maybe you will find something more suitable for you

Back