IG.com Review Visit site

Updated: Sep 13, 2019

Was at IGMarkets.com.  Other websites of this company include IGForex.com, IGIndex.co.uk.

About IG.com

IG is a forex broker. IG offers the WebTrader4 trading currency platforms. IG.com,offers currency pairs, cryptocurrencies, indices, shares, gold, silver, commodities and cfds for your personal investment and trading options.

IG.com

Minimum Trade Size:0.01
Maximum Leverage:200:1
Minimum to Open Live:$1
Established:1974
Address:Cannon Bridge House, 25 Dowgate Hill, London, EC4R 2YA, United Kingdom
Contact:helpdesk@ig.com, (44) 207 896 0079
Regulators: ASIC #AFSL 220440, FSCA #FSP 41393, DFSA #F001780, FCA #195355 / 114059, NFA #0509630
Trading platforms:MT4, IG Web and Mobile Platform, ProRealTime
Currencies:(105+)
Cryptocurrencies:(10+) Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum
CFD:(16000+) Gold, Silver, Stocks, Stock Indexes, Bonds, Bond Indexes, Oil, Other Commodities
Deposit Methods:Bank Wire, VISA, MasterCard, PayPal
Withdrawal Methods:Bank Wire, VISA, MasterCard, PayPal

Join live discussion of IG.com on our forum

IG.com profile provided by IG Group, May 13, 2019

The world’s No.1 spread betting and CFD provider*

Our vision
We aim to be a global leader in retail trading and investments. With a strong focus on innovation and technology, we put client needs at the heart of everything we do. This enables us to empower informed, decisive, adventurous people to access opportunities in over 15,000 financial markets.

24-hour support
Our highly trained team is available 24 hours a day from 8am on Sunday until 10pm on Friday, and from 9am to 5pm on Saturday UK time.

Powerful technology
Our intuitive platforms and apps are built for speed and security. We offer a fully customisable award-winning web platform, natively designed mobile and tablet apps, as well as a range of advanced third-party tools.

A global leader in online trading
We are the world-leading provider of contracts for difference (CFDs) and financial spread betting, and the UK’s largest retail forex provider.* We also offer execution-only share dealing, along with fully managed investment portfolios. With over 40 years’ experience behind us, we’re perfectly placed to help you make the most of the markets. *Based on revenue excluding FX (from published financial statements, October 2016). Losses can exceed deposits.

Lindsay,
ATLANTA, USA,
Sep 11, 2019,

Nothing but Problems

Since I've signed up with them a little over a week ago its been issue after issue. From the pairs being grayed out (THE PAIRS WITH FX BEHIND THEM) to the system always being offline, not connected to MT4. I keep missing my entry points in trades due to the error message "Not Connected" & "Off Quotes" indicating they have connection issues. I'm very annoyed. I want my money back and to find a new broker because this is beyond ridiculous. The helpdesk doesn't even know what they are doing.
Medellin, Colombia,
Aug 22, 2019,

Pushy, aggressive, annoying forex representative.

I tried to open a trading account but I desisted because IG representative for Latin America behave like an encyclopedia salesman... He just increases my distrust in this broker.. NOT recommended.. !!
Matt,
Brisbane, Australia,
Aug 19, 2019,

Restrict and suspend legitimate profitable trading!!!

IG Markets in Australia are criminal. I was a premium client with them until in 2016 they suspended my trading purely because I was profitable. I was profitable trading CFD's and Binaries. They take the other side of clients so if a client is profitable they aren't making money (don't give me the nonsense they make the spread).
I have since traded profitably for a friend and my mother, but they quickly restricted that trading then suspended it.
They are a scam if they only keep clients who lose money, which is what they do. They are happy to let inexperienced traders lose entire life savings, yet suspend legitimate traders who are using their service for the reason (they claim) to provide it.
ASIC and the Ombudsman are pathetic, almost corrupt, so it would be helpful to get numbers and form a group to take on these clowns. I can detail and support my claims too. I am not a sour grapes trader who's lost money.
NJ, USA,
Jul 13, 2019,

Great for anyone who prefers GMT charts

I would have given 1 star if it wasn't for my recent experience with the customer service (which was great). I had some horrible experiences at first with customer service. My latest experience was for a significant withdrawal which ended up working out ok. The only reason I am switching brokers is because their system doesn't work for my needs.
If you prefer GMT close candles, normally trade just the majors, small account size, swing/position trader, this broker is for you. These things are not me.
Jul 4, 2019,

Rock Solid

Been with IG over 5 years, never had a complaint, plenty of queries which were usually dealt with timely and to satisfaction.

One of the biggest brokerages and rock solid, well over 70,000 clients, never a problem withdrawing funds, same day into bank account. Good platform, very wide range of markets, variable spreads so very tight except for occasional short periods when there is very high volatility in the market or at such times when there is a lack of liquidity (not good times for retail to be trading anyway).

Would recommend to friends.
Jun 25, 2019,

UPDATE (6/24/2019): Chat Finally Answered - But IG Says They Cannot Help

UPDATE:

This updates my first review of IG Group US posted on 6/24/2019. After waiting an exceedingly long time for my chat request to be answered, IG finally responded. However, when they did respond they provided no help at all to my question about price spike on their MT platform. Instead, I got the following message from my chat request and no opportunity to answer further questions:

As I show in my note (in blue font), I used IG Group's United States link. That's the only link I've ever used. This is a repeated response from IG Group US that I routinely get when they take an abnormally lengthy time responding to a chat request. They answer the chat by not answering the chat - which is no real answer at all.

If you make someone wait for over an hour to a chat request, never give them the chance to say anything or ask any question, then type a boilerplate response telling them you can't help them because they've contacted the wrong office (when they've used the correct url), then your brokerage clearly has a communications problem that needs to be addressed.

This is why I do long-term evaluations of prospective new Brokers before I open live accounts. I need to know what kind of Broker I will be dealing with and there is absolutely no way to figure that out unless rigorous evaluation is done first on the broker's disposition towards Traders.

This is the link I used to contact IG Group US via Chat Session:

There should be no reason why an Australian IG Rep answers that chat request. None. There is a Comm problem here and I've run into this four (4) times in one (1) month. Highly frustrating when trying to do a competent Broker Evaluation before opening an account.

End IG Group US Update (6/24/2019)

Jun 25, 2019 - 2 Stars Hello All

I thought I would share my experience with IG Group US. I have been testing and evaluating several Retail Forex Brokers and their respective MT4 platforms. As part of my evaluation of a prospective new Broker, I always challenge their Customer Service Support level by attempting to utilize their Chat and Phone support. I do this in order to determine the Broker's response and how well they address issues I discover during my testing and evaluation phase before I consider opening a live account.

I have to say that given all the press in the online media about IG getting into Retail Forex here in the United States, and all the online discussion about how "large" and "successful" IG Group has been in the past, I found their Customer Service to be extremely lacking in response and I found serious problems with their MT4 Price Feed (at least on their US based Demo Server).

Abrupt Deep Price Spikes
-------------------------------

Here is a picture taken on 6/24/2019 of a Price Spike that does not appear on any of the other four (4) MT4 Retail FX Broker platforms that I am simultaneously evaluating:

This pic shows a more than 33 pip price spike coming out of nowhere and seemingly for no good reason having to do with real market dynamics that any other Retail Forex Broker also experienced. I checked:

LMFX
LQDFX
ATC Brokers
Forex.com

I also checked online with Trading View, just to be sure. I also checked with none Retail Forex Intermediaries such as Interactive Brokers and also found no such price spike of any kind taking place at the time IG Group US price feed goes south very abruptly.

Chat Session Requests Not Answered
-----------------------------------------------

IG Group US chat requests have been repeatedly unanswered over the course of several weeks now. I fill out the online form as required and wait. I get a message that says an "IG Expert" will be with me shortly, but no one ever responds to the chat request.

I recently left a chat request window open for several hours with no response from an IG Expert. This was after the price spike mentioned above. IG says that its chat server will change colors "if" there is no one at IG able to respond to my request. Therefore, if I am able to fill out the chat request form and I get a message indicating that an "Expert" will be with me "shortly," then I expect an "Expert" to respond to the chat request. I've been completely unable to get IG Group US to respond to chats.

Phone Calls Unanswered
-------------------------------

Similarly, when I am unable to get a chat response from IG, I sometimes pick-up the phone and call. I get through about 50% of the time I call and the other 50% of the time, I'm told that there is no one available to accept my call and to try my call again later.

If this were a live account, I'd be pretty furious at the inability to reach someone at IG Group US, especially after a 33+ pip price spike that shows up nowhere else but on the IG platform.

I've tried to give this Broker a fair evaluation. However, I have not had this much difficulty with Customer Support and undefined Price Spikes with no explanation from other Brokers that I am currently evaluating.

I think if you are going to be an RFED in the US, then you need to be accountable to the Traders who entrust their capital with your firm. When Traders have to deal with price feed spikes having no matching spike on competing platforms and little to no ability to contact someone to discuss problems, concerns and issues regarding trading conditions and/or platform problems, it does not shed good light on that particular Forex Retail Broker.

Their spreads are some of the narrowest I've seen in retail forex, but low spreads do not make up for price feed anomalies that make no sense and have no equal on any other retail price feed. And, no matter how low the spread, if something goes side-ways in a Live Account and there is no way to get in direct and immediate contact with the Broker, that could end up costing a lot more than the low spreads save.

For these reasons, I cannot in good faith open a live account at IG Group US.
elle,
England, United Kingdom,
Jun 23, 2019,

IG platform

The platforms is clear & easy to use. Trade execution can be done in a number of different ways to suit the user. The range of instruments to trade is pretty comprehensive. Charts are good and improving all the time. There is an excellent and growing community who between them share ideas & answer questions. I have never had an issue with their customer service.
Scotland, United Kingdom,
Jun 19, 2019,

Great choice of broker

Good charts, good spreads, decent news and info (although results don't come in as quickly as on Forexfactory for example) - totally recommend this broker, had no issues.
TrendFollower,
England, United Kingdom,
Jun 18, 2019,

Excellent Cryptocurrencies Trading Experience

IG offers a range of Cryptocurrencies to trade via it's UK Spread Betting account. The platform is easy to use and it is very simple to execute trades. It is quick and efficient. The spreads are wider than I would like but there are no fees or charges apart from the spreads so I understand the wide spreads. IG are a business after all and they need to maximise their profits.

The only reason I do not give it 5 stars is because of the high margin requirements, wide spreads and not offering even more choice of Cryptocurrencies to trade like its competitors do.
Jun 9, 2019,

IG bucket shop spread spot fraudster!

They are scammers!

I’ve traded with IG UK for years and due to the margin restrictions I went to IG Australia.

Less margin requirements but they steal your money with the spread.

I let it go for a while but Wednesday last week trading the micro Gbp/Usd
with absolutely no news events no micro event I went in at 10.56 GMT and these cowboys gave me a 10 point spread.

@ $5 a point I was placed in the markets with a $50 negative position. If this isn’t daylight robbery then I am the next US president in waiting!

This is disgusting! I complained and hey first pretended to not know whT a spread is. I then asked for management who eventually confirmed I was correctly charged as between 10- 11 pm GMT their liquidity providers always fluctuate highly on their spreads for all major pairs.

I said BS IG is one of the largest brokers to use liquidity as an excuse is only viable from a small bucket broker.

Still they persisted and said if I had called them at the time many this could have been sorted out.... This is the next day!!!

Something needs to be done about this! I will report it to ASIC but from what I’ve read they don’t act like the FSA.
Reply by IG Group submitted Jun 18, 2019:
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to leave a review of your experience with IG. We price our FX markets by taking the best bid and offer from a number of liquidity providers in the underlying market and wrapping our spread around it. We want to provide the tightest possible spread given the competitive nature of our market, however over periods of low liquidity or increased volatility spread can widen.

We want our clients to trade profitably, and it goes without saying that we do not manipulate price feeds or widen spreads unnecessarily. You can read more about our FX offering here: https://www.ig.com/uk/forex and you'll notice that we also offer DMA trading on FX to give you direct access and increases market transparency and order control.

You can read more about our FX DMA offering here: https://www.ig.com/uk/forex/forex-direct With forex direct market access (DMA), you can trade on the physical market, without the need for IG as a middleman. Please note that regulatory interventions that came into force in July 2018 means that certain products are now unavailable to retail traders. As a result, we can only offer Forex Direct to professional traders as defined by ESMA.

All the best. Please get in touch if you wish to discuss anything further.