Interactive Brokers Review

Updated: Jul 28, 2021 · InteractiveBrokers.com  · Is this your company?

InteractiveBrokers is a stock broker. Interactive Brokers offers TWS web and mobile trading platform. InteractiveBrokers.com offers stocks, futures, options, ETFs, forex, CDs, bonds etc. for your personal investment and trading options.

Interactive Brokers

Other websites of this company include www.interactivebrokers.co.uk

Minimum to Open Live: $25,000
Established: 1978
Address: One Pickwick Plaza, Greenwich, CT 06830, United States
Contact: Unknown
Regulators: ASIC #AFSL: 453554, IIROC #, SFC #, SEBI #INZ000217730, CSSF #, FCA #208159, FINRA #, SEC #
Trading platforms: TWS
Web Trading: Unknown
Mobile Trading: Unknown
CFD: (4890+) Gold, Silver, Stocks, Stock Indexes, Bonds, Oil, Other Commodities
Deposit Methods: Bank Wire, ACH (Automated Clearing House), BPAY, Check, Direct Debit, Local Bank Deposits, Transfer from Existing Broker
Withdrawal Methods: Bank Wire, ACH (Automated Clearing House), BACS (Bankers' Automated Clearing Services), Check, Direct Debit, EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer), GIRO (General Interbank Recurring Order), SEPA (Single Euro Payments Area)

Join live discussion of InteractiveBrokers.com on our forum

IB review,
Switzerland, Switzerland,
May 17, 2021,

No understanding for any bad comments / IB bashing

I am shocked about these bad reviews? For me personally that has nothing to do with reality sorry. I have known IB for many years, the trading possibilities, the speed and reliability of the order execution and thus also the low slippage, what I believe to be the absolutely lowest fee structure on the market and the security of customer funds, both due to the deposit insurance offered and the financial potency of IB makes IB appear unrivaled on the market. In every broker comparison, IB should be clearly in first place from my point of view. Oh yes, and its founder Thomas Peterffy is also still very entertaining and personable on CNBC and he shows the CNBC moderators who is the boss in the ring ...; - )

Turkey, Turkey,
Mar 27, 2021,

Teribble, unethical,scam

they have an absurd system. They have a system called two-factor authentication and you can never log in to the system even from websites that are not working. They want your personal information and I can still not login to the system. I am calling customer service, I cannot reach for half an hour I cannot contact customer service via e-mail. I have open positions and cannot intervene. If my shares cause me serious harm. What's the name of this is not a fraud. Scam.

Mar 26, 2021 - 1 Star You have a very silly site and platform. You have a silly system called two factor authentication and it doesn't work on android systems. I want to cancel it does not cancel. customer service is zero. I cannot reach as a customer. You are giving the phone number, cannot be reached. Cannot be reached by email. All I want you to do is to log back into the system, but I can never log in. I have open positions, I cannot intervene. You try to portray yourself as a top-notch institution aimed at professional users, but you are a confused institution and you have nothing but an absurd system that confuses customers

USA, USA,
Mar 24, 2021,

The worst broker ever! Ever!

Never experience such terrible experience for this broker, literally no customer service, every time wait for 2 hours and nobody pick up the phone, and there is no live chat at all, the app sucks the most. And most importantly, do not deposit any money or security into this broker, they are robbery and use every reason to reject your transfer and dont give you any explaination. The worst worst worst broker ever!!!!!!

Chris,
San Francisco, USA,
Feb 9, 2021,

HORRIBLE PLATFORM

I moved to IBKR from Robinhood because RH lacked a standard feature to view daily realized gains.

Upon moving to IBKR, I immediately was stuck by how unfriendly the UI is. My watchlist view customizations wouldn't save, watchlist wouldn't sync across multiple platforms (desktop, to mobile) without taking extra steps to 'download' them. IBKR nickel and dimes you for data streaming, viewing real-time quotes, a basic free necessity on other platforms. At least 50% of the time, my portfolio data doesn't load and I have to refresh multiple times. Another annoying thing is you can only be logged into your account from one location.

Beware - if you use IBKR the account transfer from your old brokerage firm will be on hold for 30days. Something they didn't tell me after 3 rejected outbound account transfers. It takes 1,5 hours to get a hold of someone and even the reps are uninformed of their own polices. Avoid IBKR, you've been warned...

msqy,
Dec 23, 2020,

Is this a wronful closing of my positions?

Hi FPA

I had some short call options which was reflected as expired on their platform on 18 dec. And the stock closed below my option price (I have these in black and white), but still I found myself being assigned the position, resulting in loss for me as the stock gap up on Monday.

This is their reply:
A short call position in your account is subject to assignment should a call purchaser elect to exercise their right to purchase the stock and your account be allocated through the random clearinghouse and broker assignment process. This call assignment will generate a short stock position in your account (assuming you do not have an offsetting long position).

The processing of exercise notices for American style options on days other than the expiration date is not performed on a real-time basis, but rather as part of a nightly batch process by the Options Clearing Corporation (OCC). The processing sequence, which by definition results in a notification lag of at least one day to the assigned client, is as follows:

OCC generally allows its clearing members to submit exercise notices on behalf of the clients holding a long position electronically throughout the day, but generally no later than the start of their critical processing in the evening (Day E).
As part of its evening position processing sequence, OCC randomly assigns the exercise notices it has received to the open interest of its clearing members. That information is then made available by OCC to its clearing members early in the morning on the following day (Day E+1).
At the point in which that information has been made available, clearing firms such as IBKR have already completed their processing of that day’s trade activity in order to provide timely statements, margin and settlement information to their clients. Also, since OCC carries the client positions of its clearing members in an omnibus manner (i.e., they do not know the identity of the clients, only the clearing firm), the clearing member must, in turn, execute a random process to assign those exercise notices to clients holding a short position in that particular option series.
Once IBKR receives notice of the assignment from OCC and completes its random assignment process, the assignments will be readily posted to the Trader Workstation of the impacted accounts and reflected on the Daily Activity Statement as of that day’s close (E+1).

Account holders should refer to the Characteristics & Risks of Standardized Options disclosure available on the OCC website, which is provided by IBKR to every option eligible client at the point of application and which clearly spells out the risks of assignment.

Do I have a case against them? What can I do? Anyone

Portsmouth, USA,
Nov 19, 2020,

They do not allow you to withdraw money.

They do not allow withdrawing funds from the brokerage account. I wrote in support, called them, they asked to send 2 documents. ID and bank statement. I sent them the documents, they confirmed that they received everything. I wait 17 days, the support does not react in any way, they answer with the same phrases. They say wait. I believe this is a fraudulent company that does not allow withdrawals. I have asked for support many times so that I can contact the superiors. I was refused. Help. How do I get paid?
T603460 - ticket number on which I attached documents.
U4664748 - my account number.
Houston, USA,
Nov 9, 2020,

Rejected deposit not refunded

I made a deposit from my bank but InteractiveBrokers received but rejected the deposit because it was made as a bill payment.

I have yet to receive my fund back after weeks, because InteractiveBrokers had registered an invalid fax number with my bank, and it is also using an incorrect fax number to communicate with the bank.

The customer service is a disaster: constant interruptions, poor communication, and refusal to listen.
las palmas, Spain,
Aug 28, 2020,

Worst customer service ever

I opened an IBKR account about a month ago and it really has been a nightmare of burocracy filling so much documentation. After I started trading many operatives have even been denied because they make it very cumbersome and difficult to know exactly what permissions are configured and which not. After you fill for permission to operate let us say futures or options it takes days to clear and in the meanwhile they never put you up to date.
The support section has a place where I have filled several tickets which have never get answered.
It has a chat section where they put you in hold for hours waiting for a support representative.
I had the patience to wait three days ago for help using the chat but the person who attended me told me to search in their web for answers. I really could not believe it.
I have worked with several brokers and this is by far the worst experience in customer care.

Georgia, USA,
Jun 17, 2020,

I started an application with Interactivebrokers.com, was told it was sent for review and waiting approval. Later I got a message saying I need to fund my account in order to be considered for approval. That sounded odd but I went ahead and linked my bank account. Even After linking My bank account never got access to my account. Just a page saying my account is waiting for review and approval and I should be patient since you are experiencing overload.

Yesterday $3000 was Transferred from my Bank account to interactive brokers. Sensed Reg Flags, since I did not transfer the money myself only linked my bank account.

I Tried logging into interactive brokers account that was waiting to be approved but now its says my application has been deleted. Tried logging from my desktop but my user account is not allowed for paper trading either. I don't even know what's worse looking all over to how I can contacting you or you stealing my money from my back account and blocking me from an account you haven't even approved.

In my opinion, it's okay if I am not approved but it is not okay for interactive brokers to take money from my account without my permission. Writing to request my money back before I report this as fraud.

You shouldn't take potential clients money if you have no intention of providing the service.

When I applied for an account I thought interactive brokers was a reputable company. Apparently, interactive brokers is a scam. I feel Scammed and taken advantage of. Seems like you tricking people to link their bank accounts, take their money without even them deciding if they really want to do business with you. You have the right to approve me and as a client I have the final right to decide if I want to do business with you by finally transferring my money into my account. I linked my bank and you went ahead and transferred $3000 of my money without my permission.

I never got even an email confirming my account had been approved yet you took my money from my account to which i cannot even access. That's wrong.

Need my money back or hear from someone about this issue. I wonder how many people I treated like this and people don't even know it. I have all the supporting documents and the bank account to prove what you are doing is wrong.

I have already been approved somewhere, they didn't take my money first. I applied, they approved me, I linked my account and transferred as much money as I wanted. What you, Interactive Brokers are doing is wrong.
Stateside, USA,
Jun 3, 2020,

Combative, Lethargic, Obstinate CS and Broken systems

I have been a commission-paying customer of this broker (as well as other brokers) for over 10 years. IBKR customer non-service is about the worst I have every experienced from any company. AT&T was worse, but not by much. IBKR is obstinate, combative, and lethargic. In any inter-broker transfer it is always "the other broker's fault" according to IBKR. In every single case it has actually been IBKR's screwed up systems that are at fault. They are awful.

On top of the bad CS, their systems break - web account mgmt interface is awful - parts of it don't work or hang up. Chat never works - nobody every shows up.

You would be reasonable to ask "Why then do you use them?" In the early days I found their trading platform to be superior to the competition - and so I put up with the other significant negatives. Now, they can't even get TWS right - they keep fooling with it, breaking formerly-working features. Even the trading platform is now a negative.

Don't go there.