Confluence of signals Disturbing truth?

What is the percentage of winning trades if you take trades only when you have a confluence of signa

• Below 40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Above 50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Above 60%

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Urum

Private
Let's say that you have 2 technical trading strategies, strategy A and B. A has 40% winning trades on average and B has 40% winning trades on average if you have only 1 signal without the other.

What do you think will be the percentage of winning trades if you take trades only when both strategies A and B give signals simultaneously, or you have a confluence of signals as they like to say.

I have done my own backtesting on this, I will post the answer later, but first your opinions and votes.

Last edited:
Interesting question. Let's see.

First, we have to assume that the 2 systems must signal completely independently of each other or the numbers will vary with the amount of dependence. For example, if I had 2 systems, both based off of Moving averages, and just varied the periods slightly, then the signals would tend to have more confluence and also would tend to signal in the same direction, no matter how successful or unsuccessful those signals proved to be.

Let's say we have 100 signals from A. 40% win, 60% lose. The same applies to B.

So, let's wait for 100 confluent signals (A and B both signal and that signal is in the same direction).

So we've got 100 signals from A (with B confluence), and equivalently we have 100 Signals from B (with A confluence). In theory, each system is only 40% accurate. The question is whether this 60% inaccuracy rate is reinforced or not. In other words, is the accuracy of the subset of signals with confluence the same as the inaccuracy of the unfiltered set of signals from each system?

If there is no reinforcement, then the winners would remain at 40%. If there is reinforcement (successful filtering), then the winners would be 40% of 40%, which comes to 16% winners. Either way, using a losing system to try to filter another losing system looks like a bad idea. On the other hand, if the risk/reward is one to one, then trade the reverse of these signals and your success rates should (in theory) be somewhere in the 60-84% range, depending on the success level of filtering.

The math would get more interesting if we knew what the % signals was where confluence occurred. If only 1 signal in 1000 has confluence, then even a great system built this way would have very few trades (unless this is a system giving a very large number of signals per day). If half the signals have confluence, then one system can act as a filter for the other while leaving a reasonable number of trades. Of course, in general, it's better to start with 2 systems which have over 50% successful trades.

Let's say that you have 2 technical trading strategies, strategy A and B. A has 40% winning trades on average and B has 40% winning trades on average if you have only 1 signal without the other.

What do you think will be the percentage of winning trades if you take trades only when both strategies A and B give signals simultaneously, or you have a confluence of signals as they like to say.

I have done my own backtesting on this, I will post the answer later, but first your opinions and votes.

This is a good method in theory but practically bit hard to implement. But need to check the rules of your trading methods. Because two completely different systems will you different signals and you may have a very few trades for the specific period compared to trading separately on different strategies. Would like to see your back testing results to give more comments.

The 2 systems I tested are using completely different signals, in fact I've tested more than 2 systems! With moving averages, with Fibonacci (from Dinapoli levels to Harmonic signals), with candlestick reversal signals and different variations on those systems.

Guys the answer is if you wait for confluence of 2 systems, (I've even tried with 3 and 4 signals) the winning rate is still at 40% assuming all systems have a 40% win rate. If one system has a higher winning percentage (50% for example) than you would have 50% winning trades if you waited for confluence.
The only difference is that if you do wait for confluence you enter trades much more rarely.

And by the way all those systems have at least 2/1 reward/risk, if the reward is less than twice the risk I don't enter the trade.

Back