FOREX PRO WEEKLY, 14-18 September, 2015

Hi Ochills
Please If one want to estimate possible retracement using Harmonic count at what time frame is it logical and best to establish this possible harmonic retracement, Considering the fact that I use D1, H4, H1& 30M time frame. If the setup was established on H4 and supported on D1,W1 & MN time frame. which time frame is best to establish the Harmonic count???
Well, may be I'm not quite catch the question, but harmonic swing are working on any time frame. Probably you should watch for those of them that have greater relation to your current task. Say, you're watching for some level to enter. If right in the same place you have harmonic swing destination - this is a plus.

Is it possible to put a date next to your post everyday. Your recci's find it difficult to find the target without any references.
Well, I prepare updates every day. So you definitely will find the one on any day. Previously I reserve posts to place updates. But in this case when you enter forum, you do not see any updates in thread (it has not lighted by green). Since recently activity in forum has decreased I've decided to not reserve posts any more. Thus, as I've placed an update - you can see it by new posts in the thread indication.

Very choppy action for both EUR/USD and Cable. I can feel the tension in the market before the Fed Rate!
Yeah! What a run on Cable... Just we indend to go short - but superb inflation data was released and GBP has skyrocketed. Moving stops to breakeven is a great tool. Still, at least scalp DRPO "Buy" has worked (LOL.)

Yeah! What a run on Cable... Just we indend to go short - but superb inflation data was released and GBP has skyrocketed. Moving stops to breakeven is a great tool. Still, at least scalp DRPO "Buy" has worked (LOL.)

Hope you will update Cable today , lucky me , my break even worked fine , phewww , but I think Cable is still bearish but really curious to get your point of view . Thx Lobo

Good morning,

Reuters reports today - dollar was under pressure in Asian trading on Thursday, after weak U.S. inflation data led investors to pare bets that the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates later in the day.

The outcome of the two-day Fed meeting continued to grip investors' attention, particularly after a surprising 0.1 percent decline in U.S. consumer prices in August.

One mover was the Australian dollar , which was last nearly flat at $0.7197 after investors locked in gains when it earlier blipped above $0.7200 for the first time since late August, taking its cue from rallying domestic equities.

"It was just a little bit of profit-taking after the U.S. dollar weakness that we've seen across the board last night, which is probably prudent with the Fed just around the corner," said Sue Trinh, senior currency strategist at RBC Capital Markets in Hong Kong.

"It's all just position-squaring pre-Fed, which is really the key," she said. "The ranges are pretty consistent with this big event risk."

With the Fed firmly in focus, foreign exchange market participants took in stride Standard and Poor's downgrade of Japan's credit rating by one notch to A+ late on Wednesday. The cut brings its rating in line with those of rivals Moody's Investors Service and Fitch Ratings.

Investors also shrugged off data on Thursday that showed Japan's exports slowed for a second straight month in August, heightening fears that China's slowdown was increasing dragging on the global economy and reinforcing expectations that policymakers eventually would be forced to muster fresh stimulus steps.

The common currency steadied after dipping overnight after euro zone inflation for August was revised to be weaker than initially thought, backing expectations of more bond-buying stimulus from the European Central Bank.

The dollar index, which tracks the U.S. unit against a basket of six major counterparts, was down about 0.1 percent at 95.297, but still above a three-week low of 94.913 plumbed on Monday as investors pondered what the U.S. central bank will announce at 1800 GMT.

"While the rates decision will be the initial focus, it may not be the decisive factor for markets," wrote Sean Callow, senior currency strategist at Westpac in Sydney, who says investors could also react to changes in the central bank's forecasts.

"We will also see quarterly projections of growth, unemployment, inflation and the funds rate. This should include upward revisions to GDP projections but a lower profile for interest rates," Callow said in a note to clients on Thursday.

Westpac is among those expecting the Fed to hike its federal funds rate by 25 basis points - its first increase since 2006 - due to job market improvement, solid growth and sufficient inflation.

After Wednesday's lacklustre inflation figures, the chance that the U.S. central bank would end its near-zero interest rate policy fell to 21 percent , down from 27 percent late on Tuesday, according to CME Group's FedWatch program.

So, guys, as our GBP expectations have failed, or better to say inflation data fastly has erased all setups, we have to postpone further analysis of GBP on a later time. Our DRPO "Buy" on intraday charts has worked, but B&B "Sell" has not reached it's target and we haven't got second chance for short entry. As you can see from current situation - breakeven stops are very important tool.
So we just need to see what will happen, as monthly grabber is still valid, market has shown significant rally and we should take a look on what it will be...
Thus, today we will take a look at EUR again, since market more or less has clarify situation. As we've said previously we have a deal with weak bullish context. Following market mechanics, we've said that EUR should show just minor retracement down since large retracement already has happened, when EUR has reached major 50% Fib support level. So, this has happened yesterday. As a result, market also has formed nicely looking bullish grabber on daily chart:
eur_d_17_09_15.png

Overall situation is rather simple. Market stands very close to daily trend breakeven point and we have bullish pattern. Major retracement already done. Thus, any turning of the EUR to downward action and breaking of daily trend down will be bearish sign and probably will bring market significantly lower - to 1.0850 lows, or at least to trend line support.
Thus, for taking any long position we could stick with the grabber. if it will fail - market will erase all bullish signs at one time - destroy pattern, trend, move below pivots etc...

Actually what we've discussed is nothing more but DiNapoli "Minesweeper" entry technique for daily time frame. We've waited when daily trend will shift bullish and then should take long postion on 4-hour chart at K-support area:
eur_4h_17_09_15.png

Those of you who have taken long there - well done. But as right now we could stick to grabber directly, we could reduce the scale and use just most recent swing up:
eur_1h_17_09_15.png

Currently market already has done 3/8 retracement and could form butterfly, but if somehow it will turn to retracement first, it could be used for long entry as well.
But again, as soon as grabber will be done, it is difficult right now to count on some signficant upside actin. Since, as we've said in the begnining - overall setup is not really impressive. Still, Fed dovish comments and rate decision could support upside action

Thank you for your work as always, Sive!

After following you for these years, I am sure many of us have learned the art of moving stop to BE when market gives us a chance!

As much as I would like to trade the Bullish SG, I think I will have to sit out for the rest of the week. Big news like this always makes me nervous and who knows, maybe we will see some wild swings in a few hours here!

Good morning,

Reuters reports today - The dollar struggled to take back lost ground in Asian trading on Friday after skidding to three-week lows against the euro and a basket of currencies following the Federal Reserve's decision to hold interest rates steady and cut its long-term U.S. growth outlook.

Opinions had been divided over whether the Fed would raise rates on Thursday for the first time since 2006, and the announcement triggered broad dollar losses, though the central bank left open the possibility of a modest policy tightening later this year.

The euro gained more than 1 percent to a three-week high of $1.1441 and was last at $1.395, down about 0.3 percent from late U.S. levels but still well above Wednesday's one-week low of $1.1214, and on track to gain about 0.5 percent for the week.

The dollar index tracking the greenback against a basket of six major currencies edged up about 0.1 percent to 94.634, after dropping as low as 94.360 on Thursday, its lowest since Aug. 26. It was down about 0.6 percent for the week.

"In today's session, it's hard to see any some sort of dollar/yen trend," said Masashi Murata, currency strategist for Brown Brothers Harriman in Tokyo.

"In the Tokyo session, there is no reason to increase either dollar-long or -short positions after this latest Fed decision, ahead of the Silver Week holiday here."

Tokyo markets will be closed for holidays for much next week, reopening on Thursday.

"As the Fed said, the U.S. economy and employment situation remain solid, so it's very natural that the Fed will start to hike rates," Murata said.

Despite some encouraging domestic signs, Fed Chair Janet Yellen said the external outlook was less certain.

"Recent global economic and financial developments may restrain economic activity somewhat and are likely to put further downward pressure on inflation in the near term," the U.S. central bank said.

The latest count put 13 of 17 Fed policymakers expecting to raise interest rates in 2015, down from 15 at the bank's June meeting. Four policymakers, up from two, now believe the bank should stand pat until at least 2016.

"With the overwhelming majority in the FOMC still expecting to hike this year, and the domestic economy maintaining its momentum, we stick to our call of a December rate hike," strategists at Rabobank said.

"Although Yellen said that October remains a possibility, we doubt that the economic data between now and then will be sufficient to hike," they said in a note to clients.

Rates futures placed an 18 percent chance that the U.S. central bank would end its near-zero interest rate policy in October, down from 41 percent Thursday morning, according to CME Group's FedWatch program.

The Australian dollar added about 0.3 percent to $0.7192, but remained below a four-week high of $0.7277 hit in the wake of the Fed's announcement.

The Aussie got a lift from parliamentary testimony by Reserve Bank of Australia Governor Glenn Stevens who said the economy was growing and the exchange rate was adjusting to a change in the terms of trade.

So, guys, today we probably will get some kind of relief session. Our short-term setup on EUR has worked, may be EUR even could move slightly higher by momentum, but major part of short-term rally already in place.
On daily chart trend is bullish and market is not at oversold (it is important). Currently EUR shows 100% logic and natural bullish mechanics. Also it is strictly follows the sequence of harmonic swings inside the channel. That's why we dare to suggest that EUR should reach 1.15 or 1.16 level before downward reversal back to lower border of the channel. Whether it will be 1.15 or 1.16 will depend on the speed of current upside motion. Currently it seems that EUR could move to 1.16 but let's still focus on 1.15 target first
eur_d_18_09_15.png

Here is why 1.15 level is important. Here we have major Fib resistance and two targets - minor AB=CD and big 0.618 AB-CD. So, we have Agreement. Small AB-CD shows that CD leg is significantly faster and this gives add. chances that it could follow above 1.1515.
eur_4h_18_09_15.png

On hourly chart I've drawn some Fib levels, if you think about long entry. Currently you can't go short since we do not have any context for that. It seems that 1.1350 K-support is best level, because it is not too deep as 1.13, coincides with former top. Right now market is not at overbought and it already stands above 0.618 small AB-CD target. In such conditions it should not show deep retracements.
eur_1h_18_09_15.png

Back