FOREX PRO Weekly February 18-22, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
So, fellow traders, what we have on monthly chart? What was that from technical standpoint? Market is failing around previous swing high that is also 50% monthly resistance. It means that it will hardly proceed to 1.3830 area at the same single breath. Market was not able to reach significant resistance with current swing, so we should be ready for deeper move down. Currently it’s better count only on retracement, but not downward reversal yet, because trend here sill holds bullish and price action as well – not bad at all. This move up could become an AB leg of greater AB=CD pattern, why not? But how deep BC leg could be?
Well, as first destination, I probably could point Yearly Pivot Point that has not been touched yet. Second thought – take a look, this could be reverse H&S pattern. The left shoulder and the head are based on perfect 1.618 Butterfly “Buy” on weekly chart. So, to reach the same ratio in relation to head low, market should show retracement to 1.2750-1.29 area. These levels are a bit extended and we do not trade on monthly time frame, but we have to keep in mind major destination, because sooner or later it will become very significant. If market will fail there as well – that could become continuation of long-term bear trend. Still, major conclusion for us here – market probably will move lower, and we have direction of trading for 1-2 weeks ahead.

eur_m_18_02_13.gif

Weekly
Weekly time frame becomes rather significant for our analysis. First of all, let’s discuss major points – when to be bullish or bearish. That will help us better undertsand what steps to take depending on different situation. Although we have bullish trend by MACD here, we have solid bearish engulfing pattern as well, and my thought is – until market will not take its highs and erase this pattern, I will not be bullish and will try to take position in agreement with engulfing pattern. The fact, that on previous week market has shown upward retracement inside of this pattern and then has returned right back gives me additional confidence. That was not an attempt to continue move up – that was just ordinary retracement after engulfing has been formed. This retracements usually take place in 80% of cases.
Thus, we’re bearish, but how far this pattern could lead us? Well, engulfing pattern itself gives us target at weekly K-support area – 1.3062-1.3073. If we will take a look at harmonic swings – I’ve found only single previous retracement down, it points on MPS1 = 1.3184. Let’s will not be greedy and focus on first level initially – 1.3184.
And finally, two other moments that could become interesting. First is – take a look, market has not triggered yet this engulfing pattern, since it has not closed below it’s low. The major move down still stands ahead. Second is – keep an eye on MACDP, on coming week price will deal with it and we will monitor appearing of stop grabber, as usual. You may argue – you just talk about short entry and now tell us to watch for bullish pattern? Yes. Our task is not to create flawless and infinite analsys, but correctly and fast react on new events that could appear on the market. Stop grabber could appear and we will have to take it into cosnideration if this will happen. But currently it is not at place yet, thus we have no other components of analysis and these components tell us that context is bearish so far.

eur_w_18_02_13.gif

Daily
Daily trend holds bearish, price action is bearish. Here we can see a kind of H&S pattern is forming. Although weekly chart shows rather greater potential down – here we can’t look farer than 1.3185-1.32 area yet. Since in a tight range there are too many constraints – K-support, AB-CD target and daily oversold.
eur_d_18_02_13.gif

4-hour
Here we see that trend is ready to turn bullish, market shows bullish divergence with MACD, since market stands at support of trend line and 0.618 Fib extension of daily AB-CD pattern. Some retracement up could follow and we can use it for short entry. There are two levels to watch for – first is WPP and Fib resistance at 1.3410 and second is K-resistance 1.3460-1.3472 + WPR1.
But based on price action on hourly time frame, achievement of second level looks more probable.
eur_4h_18_02_13.gif

30-min
If we will treat this formation here as Double Bottom, then its target points on 1.3455 area and we have bullish stop grabbers that point of further upward continuation.
eur_30m_18_02_13.gif

Conclusion:
On long-term perspective the probability of down move is increasing. Currently is not clear yet – will it become reversal and continuation of monthly trend down, or just a kind of BC leg of greater AB=CD upward pattern. Weekly price action confirms possible deeper move down. Until market will not erase weekly bearish engulfing pattern, it’s difficult to find any reason to take long position.
In shorter-term perspective all weekly targets stand beyond daily oversold and, hence not very topical now. Market is a bit caught by solid support cluster that includes daily K-support, oversold, AB-CD target and MPS1 and WPS1. Still within 1-2 days it is possible to take short position at some rally and exit around this support.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update, Tue 19, February 2013

Good morning,
price action yesterday was anemic due President's Day in US, but still we've got some more clarification.
On daily time frame I suppose, that our trading plan is still valid. Probably market could show another small move down for another 100 pips right to the significant support zone, that includes oversold at K-support, WPS1 and target of AB=CD pattern. Now market stands indecision and forms inside doji patterns for the third day in a row. After silence some acceleration usually comes in one or other direction. I hope that it will be to the downside.

eur_d_19_02_13.gif

On 4-hour chart trend has turned bullish, so our divergence has been confirmed, but price action is flat. Recall, that previously we have expected possible double bottom on hourly chart, or something of this kind, that could lead market higher to deeper retracement. But now it is obvious that this pattern has been vanished. Currently this is bearish pennant, that does not suggest deep retracement normally.
Besides, when I've observed the price action yesterday, initially it was like diamond, but later market has shown just flat exit without any attempt to move up. May be this was due lazy market, but when this happens, it tells that hardly it will be deep retracement up.
However there is a risk of untouched WPP. Market could try to touch it and shift the shape of pennant into flag. So, how better to deal with it? One of the ways is using of stop entry order right below the pennant. If market will fail there and return right back - it will be obvious that upward retracement could come.
Another way is to wait either breakout and try to catch small retracement, or, if market will still show deeper upward move - watch for Fib resistance levels.
At my taste, way with stop entry order looks more definite and clear. But this is personal.
eur_4h_19_02_13.gif

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Wed 20, February 2013

Good morning,
Our warnings about dealing with pennant on 4-hour chart have panned out and market has turned to pullback that we've expected and discussed in our weekly analysis.
Speaking about daily time frame - bounce should not be too extended, since market is bouncing from minor support. It's just minor 0.618 extension target of AB-CD and trend line. Particularly speaking, to keep confidence with downward continuation I do not want to see retracement higher than daily K-resistance, or better to say higher than WPR1.
eur_d_20_02_13.gif

On 4-hour time frame you can see why yesterday we've recommended to rely on entry "Stop" order, rather than on limit. Market has not broken higher lows consequence, hence stop "entry" has not been filled. This order was justified, because we have bullish divergence at support as well and this is a contradictive patterns - divergence and bearish pennant.
Now market stands above first level that we've pointed as potential short entry area. IT is WPP and first Fib resistance. Harmonic swings points on the 2nd our area - 4-hour K-resistance and WPR1 around 1.3460-1.3480. Personally I'll be watching for this level to enter short, because this is solid resistance, market should not exceed WPR1 if this is just a retracement. So, this is some sort of invalidation point for downward continuation.
Watch for reversal patterns around it. If market will break it up with nice thrusting action - don't be short
eur_4h_20_02_13.gif

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Thu 21, February 2013

Good morning,
Well fellow traders, in general we might point that our trading plan for current week is completed. As first stage, when we've expected bounce up, but not greater than K-resistance area, as second one - market has continued move down and almost reach 1.32 area.
There is some small room - about 30-40 pips till AB=CD target still, but there are a lot of other supports in this area, so it is difficult to predict which one will hold the market.
I'm not sure that this will be good idea to take scalp short here, but at the same time, we do not have anything else to discuss right now, so:
eur_d_21_02_13.gif

On 4-hour chart do not look at Fib levels (they are from yesterday), here we're interested with 1.618 target of intial AB-CD, and second, with 1.27 target of most recent AB-CD. They are stand at daily oversold and MPS1. They probably will be hit.
eur_4h_21_02_13.gif

If occasionally you will still decide to take short - on hourly chart is nice setup for DiNapoli B&B "Sell". If it will really be formed that you will be able to grab around 100 pips more. Just do not forget protect your profit, since we are near the support.
eur_1h_21_02_13.gif

For others, who do not want to take this risk or those who trade on daily time frame - it will be better to search possibility for scalp buy tomorrow around 1.3180-1.32 area, since market could show nice pullback, we'll see.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Fri 22, February 2013

Good morning,
as we've said yesterday, market has accomplished our weekly trading plan. On daily time frame price stands at solid support - AB=CD target, MPS1 and oversold. So, daily traders probably should wait when market will correct this situation and will be ready for further downward action, while scalpers could think about taking long position, since this is a kind of DiNapoli stretch "Buy" pattern:
eur_d_22_02_13.gif

As I've said many times - dealing with Stretch is rather risky idea, since this pattern is "correctional" in nature and counter-trend. What shape this correction will take - impossible to predict. Thus, you can get nice profit, or, nothing at best. That's why it's better to have some pattern on your back on lower time frames. It will give us precise levels where to place stop.
Target of this bounce on daily could be different, but theoretically, it assumes move to MPP and K-resistance area again.

On 4-hour chart we see that market has hit prespecified targets as well, trend has turned bullish. Also we have thrust down, that potentially could become a context for DRPO Buy, but it is not yet. Now other patterns have been shown yet here.
eur_4h_22_02_13.gif

On hourly chart - we see some hint of DRPO "Buy" already, but it looks inempressive. DRPO is a fast capitulation of the bears - but there is no such sort of price action, only gradual upward action. That is not typical for DRPO and I suppose that the major pattern is still ahead. I do not know what will happen, but some downward move could be - re-testing of lows, forming of the wedge or something. I want to get reversal pattern or thrusting upward acceleration that let us to step in and give us a confidence that bounce is in progress. Currently we do not see anything of that kind. So, we need to be a little bit more patient now.
eur_1h_22_02_13.gif

Last edited:
Trading manually these days goes better with a few shots of tequila, because I loose directions all the time, lol.

Thanks Sive..
..Could this become a bearish stop grabber though?..If so then would be be wise to hold onto my short?

Hi Squidge,
could you please clarify a bit more - where we could get bearish stop grabber. The chart attached - will be much better.

Back