FOREX PRO Weekly March 04-08, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
So, on monthly chart the one significant event has happened – market by February close has confirmed and finally formed bearish engulfing pattern right at major 50% resistance area. This is very important from technical point of view, because this lets us to stick with this pattern and understand when we can speak about bullish or bearish trend. Thus, until market will not take 1.3730 high – it is difficult to tell about re-establishing of bullish trend. What else we can extract from it? The target – minimum target usually is a length of the bars and it points on 1.2450-1.25 area, although market has not triggered yet engulfing pattern since has not closed yet below its low level.
Still nearest destination is 1.2908 – yearly pivot point, let’s see how market will behave there first.

eur_m_04_03_13.gif

Weekly
Trend is bearish here, market is not at oversold. On weekly time frame there are two moments that we need to pay attention to. First is, market finally has reached minimum target of engulfing pattern – right at weekly K-support area. The second one is – take a look at harmonic swings. Current move down is much faster than previous one. This tells that market is rather heavier, and may be this is not a retracement already. Another nuance – market has exceeded the length of harmonic swing down. As we’ve discussed many times, it is quite often when market doubles harmonic distance as it breaks it. That’s why, actually this swing calls as “harmonic”. Following to that logic – the destination here is major 5/8 support at oversold – 1.2680 area.
Candles themselves here are rather strong. Market has long upper shadows, trading range of these downward candles is not small and close price stands near the low. In other circumstances this could be treated probably as “3-Black Crows” bearish pattern. Anyway, price action is bearish, trend is bearish. The one barrier here is weekly K-support and we do not see any bounce from it yet, while it should happen in most cases and currently it could happen as well. Hence, we should see some hints on potential pullback on lower time frames first. In any case, it is unsafe to take long-term short position right at Confluence support whatever bearish market is. Besides, new MPP stands significantly higher than current price is, so, market could try to test it before will continue move down.

eur_w_04_03_13.gif

Daily
Trend is bearish as well as price action, market is not at oversold but very close to it. Anyway, guys, the probability of pullback now is greater than downward continuation. Price stands at weekly K-support that is also an Agreement with daily 1.618 AB-CD target, slightly lower stands a yearly pivot. So, if any bounce will follow, market should start to form a pattern that could trigger it somewhere around current area. Yesterday market has failed with our stop grabber on 4-hour chart and continue move down. Price has reached 1.27 extension of previous retracement up. Interesting, that 1.618 extension of retracement stands precisely at the major support area. So, our main task for the beginning of the week – keep eyes open and catch any reversal pattern on daily chart that could appear in this area.
eur_d_04_03_13.gif

4-hour
Well, may be we can get something of that sort – bullish wedge that is accompanied by divergence and simultaneously could be a 3-Drive Buy pattern. Although I prefer to get patterns on daily chart, when I dealing with weekly support, but currently that is all that we have. Divergence is also relative, since MACD is still bearish, but on hourly time divergence is already in place. On hourly chart the overall action could be drawn as butterfly “Buy” as well. So, although currently we do not have very strong and obvious patterns as H&S or clear Butterfly, this still could work. May be, when this wedge will start to work, we will get some patterns on daily frame as well.
eur_4h_04_03_13.gif

Conclusion:
On a big picture we could get the move even to 1.25 area, but now market stands at Weekly K-support and Agreement, new MPP has not been tested yet, and probability of upward bounce is solid.
Anyway before pull the trigger we need pattern on lower time frames that will allow us to do this, but currently all that we have is just a bullish wedge that is developing on 4-hour time frame. I hope that later we will get some pattern on daily time frame either. Anyway currently we have to keep an eye on this action. Market should show another small leg down and touch yearly pivot and daily 1.618 target. That will be our first potential point to enter short-term long trade.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update, Tue 05, March 2013

Good morning,
On the first glance it looks like that's it - the pullback that we've expected, but I do not think so. The move down that has to precede starting daily bounce has not happened yet. On daily chart we see that Monday session was rather tight and inside day to Friday. These targets still stand below market and have not been achieved. I'm speaking about 1.618 extension and Yearly Pivot point. Personally I feel uncomfortable to take position prior market will touch significant targets. The probability confirms this. Rare happens when market leaves significant targets behind and turns. Much oftener - the quite opposite happens.
eur_d_05_03_13.gif

On 4-hour chart we see that it looks like breakout of the wedge that accompanied by nice divergence with MACD. But if we will measure extensions of upward retracements - we'll see that it could be 3-Drive Buy. Second drive stands at 1.27 of the first and if market will move slightly higher to 1.3055-1.3060 - the 1.27 of the second drive will coincide with 1.618 of the first drive and that is very typical for that pattern. Anyway, I probably will focus on 3-Drive buy, because I do not want to take any Long position before significant targets will be achieved.
eur_4h_05_03_13.gif

On hourly chart we see that market is forming a bit skewed AB-CD pattern with flat CD leg. the target stands around 1.3056-1.3060 - that agrees with the top of potential second drive retracement. Besides, the shape of this upmove does not impress me. This is not a starting acceleration or thrust. Action is rather choppy and mostly has a retracement nature. So, I probably will wait another leg down before will even think about Long entry:
eur_1h_05_03_13.gif

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Wed 06, March 2013

Good morning,
although market has shown downward pullback from expectable level - looks like it has not done yet with upward move.
Anyway, on daily we see that overall price action stands inside of Friday's range, previous two sessions was really tight and personally I do not trust to this upward move. The daily setup has not changed - another leg down before any meaningful retracement has to happen.
eur_d_06_03_13.gif

On 4-hour chart we see that market shows nice swings from 3-Drive "Buy" pattern point of view. Even if market will proceed slightly higher - it will not break overall setup. Another pattern that could be possible - is H&S. But I would better count on 3-Drive since we have untouched significant target 20 pips lower - that's why H&S looks less realistic.
eur_4h_06_03_13.gif

Hourly chart shows that WPP has not been tested yet and we have upward channel. Inside we have nice AB=CD pattern with the target around 1.31-1.3104 - WPP, upper border of the channel. If this will be the level when third drive will start - this will give us perfect 3-Drive pattern, since 1.618 and 1.27 swings of first and second drives will coincide.
eur_1h_06_03_13.gif

So, I will be watching particularly for that scenario. Actually, it is not important from which level leg down will start. Major event is to get this leg at all and 3-Drive pattern.
Since we expect the pattern that let us to take scalp Long position. From that perspective we're interesting the end point of new swing down, but not the start point.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Thu 07, March 2013

Good morning,
market is still coiling inside of Friday's trading range and building an energy. By ADP Data, tomorrow should be an upward surprise in NFP numbers, we'll see. May be market is preparing to this event. Anyway, on daily chart nothing has changed for us - we still wait 1.29-1.2950 area:
eur_d_07_03_13.gif

On 4-hour chart trend has turned bearish, overall action is natural for 3-Drive - moves are gradual and harmonic, targets stand very close, I mean 1.27 and 1.618 from 2nd and 1st drives. So, looks like everything in order.
eur_4h_07_03_13.gif

On hourly chart we see, how market has failed to accomplish upward AB=CD and has reached only 0.618 target of it. But actually - we don't care of it, since our wish here is to get entry point for Long entry.
But today scalp traders have nice setup on hourly chart with B&B "Sell". Minimum target will be around 1.2975 probably, but it could let to catch the move right to daily 1.618 as well. So, think, decide...
For others, who trade on daily time frame - sit on the hands, till we will not get reaching of our destination area on daily and acceptable price action there.
eur_1h_07_03_13.gif

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Fri 08, March 2013

Good morning,
yesterday's upward splash from the one point of view has become a suprise, but from the other - it is not drastical. Market still stands inside of Friday's trading session and price just has tested WPP. Probably we should not overestimate it, this could be just short positions closing before NFP report, that could carry strong positive surprise. For me daily 1.618 extension and yearly pivot have greater weight than current move up. Besides, as Cosmos noted here - it could be DRPO "Buy" on daily if market will create new low today. Current splash stands in the range of harmonic retracement as well:
eur_d_08_03_13.gif

On 4-hour chart we see signs of reversal - current swing is greater than the previous one down swing, divergence and market has destroyed possibility of 3-Drive buy pattern. Currently it stands slightly lower WPP:
eur_4h_08_03_13.gif

On hourly chart market also has hit 1.618 target on upward AB-CD right at WPP:
eur_1h_08_03_13.gif

So, I do not know guys what you will do, but I prefer to take a look after NFP release at the market and do not take any positions right now. I worry about this upward action and do not want to rely on it, especially if you will take a look at gold market. I see lack of confidence with reversal and need more confirmation, since having untouched 1.618 on daily just behind and tight coiling on gold tells that this may be was just technical move - testing WPP and short covering. If you see something more - please do not hesitate to share with your thoughts on forum.

Last edited:
Thanks as ever. 25x5 looks important this week.
Might give it a solid bounce up on the weekly and a re-challenge from below on the monthly...What do you think?

Thank you for your analysis. They are very helpfull!

I encounter a problem with the printable version; it is partly blank.

Have a nice weekend !

Hi Sive,

What you consider as a target of Engulfing pattern? Length of the whole pattern including shadows, or particular bar? I've checked in Military School, but I didn't find precise rule. Thank you.

Ivan

Back