Forex FOREX PRO WEEKLY, August 14 - 18, 2023

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals

This week whole market society was waiting for inflation data that should had to shed some light on next Fed's possible step. Although we haven't got big changes in data, but still it was surprising a bit. Despite that CPI has decreased, it still has shown 0.2% growth on MoM basis, and, with crude oil rally in mind, it could be the stormcrow of coming August and September numbers. As you know we expect next inflationary spiral start right in the early fall. Second is, PPI... we've talked deflation and haven't expected any surprises. Indeed, they were not, but only in production sector where inflation jumped. What has surprised is service sector, where household financial sources are exhausting and services should fall next.

Market overview

The dollar rose against major currencies on Monday, broadly supported by Federal Reserve officials saying additional interest rate hikes are likely given that inflation remains persistently high and the labor market is still tight.

Fed Governor Michele Bowman said on Monday additional interest rate hikes will likely be needed to lower inflation to the U.S. central bank's 2% target. Bowman, in remarks prepared for delivery to a "Fed Listens" event in Atlanta, said she backed the latest rate increase last month because inflation remains too elevated, and job growth and other indications of activity show the economy has continued expanding at a "moderate pace."

New York Fed President John C. Williams said, in an interview with the New York Times published on Monday, the central bank will need to keep the restrictive stance for some time. Maintaining that stance is going to be determined by the underlying fundamentals "driving, supply and demand in the economy, inflation," he added.

Jeff Klingelhofer, portfolio manager and co-head of investments at Thornburg Investment Management, said he sees the dollar holding gains in the near to medium term.

"I'm expecting a longer pause from the Fed and that should be dollar-supportive just because of interest rate differentials. So the U.S. staying higher for longer should support the dollar," said Klingelhofer. I also believe that if interest rates stay at higher levels, then inevitably you get that deeper recession when the consumer deteriorates. Then you get safe-haven flows that will be broadly supportive of the dollar.

China's imports and exports fell much faster than expected in July, data on Tuesday showed, with imports down 12.4% from a year earlier while exports contracted by 14.5%, in another sign of the country's faltering economic recovery and subdued global demand. On top of that Moody's late on Monday cut credit ratings of several small to mid-sized U.S. banks and said it may downgrade some of the nation's biggest lenders. It warned that the sector's credit strength will likely be tested by funding risks and weaker profitability. This has triggered safe haven demand, supporting US Dollar

"We're definitely at a place in the dollar smile where U.S. fundamentals are outperforming the rest of the world. And generally it's an environment for the dollar to sustain its rally," said Brad Bechtel, global head of foreign exchange at Jefferies in New York.

It's been a tough few weeks (or months) for China - the world's second-largest economy: housing market turmoil is flaring up again, growth and private investment remain fragile, and consumption and services are struggling to deliver on that much hoped-for post-COVID boom. Markets have been disappointed over the lack of concrete stimulus action following the end-July Politburo meeting, and various sets of PMI data have charted a less than clear path ahead.

1691822255447.png

China's new bank loans tumbled in July and other key credit gauges also weakened , even after policymakers cut interest rates and promised to roll out more support for the faltering economy. Chinese banks extended 345.9 billion yuan ($47.80 billion) of new yuan loans in July, tumbling 89% from June to the lowest since late 2009 and falling far short of analysts' forecasts, data from the People's Bank of China showed on Friday.

"China’s bank loan growth fell to its lowest in seven months in July, while broad credit growth dropped to a record low," Capital Economics said in a note to clients.
"We expect further policy rate cuts (as soon as next Tuesday) and a spike in government bond issuance in the coming months, but unless there is a wider improvement in business and household sentiment, this probably won’t lift credit growth much."

Hobbled by weak demand at home and abroad, China's economic momentum has faltered in recent months despite strong bank lending in the first half. Household loans, mostly mortgages, contracted by 200.7 billion yuan in July, after rising 963.9 billion yuan in June, as a debt crisis in the property sector deepened, while corporate loans slid to 237.8 billion yuan last month from 2.28 trillion yuan in June, central bank data showed.

US consumer price index (CPI) rose 0.2% last month, matching the gain in June. The CPI climbed 3.2% in the 12 months through July, up from a 3.0% rise in June, which was the smallest year-on-year gain since March 2021. Excluding the volatile food and energy categories, the CPI gained 0.2% in July, the same as the June increase. In the 12 months through July, core CPI grew 4.7% after rising 4.8% in June.

"The story from this morning's CPI release took a little while to settle into markets. While yes, year-over-year CPI did come in slightly below expectation, that 3.2% figure is still higher than it was last month," said Helen Given, FX trader at Monex USA in Washington. It's also still a good bit higher than the Fed's 2% inflation target, so it's still very much in the realm of possibility that there will be a further 25 basis point hike this year. Even if the Fed chooses not to hike interest rates again, a cut is not coming any time soon as inflation above target remains entrenched in the U.S. economy.

San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank Mary Daly on Thursday also said more progress is needed to tame inflation, even though it is moving in the right direction. She is a voter on the Federal Open Market Committee in 2024. She said the July CPI numbers do not mean that the Fed can declare victory over inflation, adding that the labor market is not yet balanced.

A separate report from the Labor Department on Thursday showed initial claims for state unemployment benefits increased 21,000 to a seasonally adjusted 248,000 for the week ended Aug. 5. Economists had forecast 230,000 claims for the latest week.

The U.S. producer price index (PPI) for final demand rose 0.3% in July, according to the Labor Department. This compared with economist expectations for 0.2%. And in the 12 months through July, the PPI rose 0.8% against estimates for 0.7%.

Friday's data suggested to Paul Christopher, head of global investment strategy at Wells Fargo Investment Institute in St. Louis, that the Fed will need to keep rates higher for longer and he said "it puts additional rate hikes back on the table for this year. We think there's some reassessment of inflation going on with investors looking further under the hood. Disinflation has been very rapid in the past months at the top level but that may be leveling out here a little," Christopher said."

On the U.S. Treasuries side, benchmark 10-year notes were up 8.4 basis points at 4.166%, from 4.082% late on Thursday. The 30-year bond was last up 3.9 basis points to yield 4.2717%. The 2-year note was last up 7.6 basis points to yield 4.8968%. In commodities, oil prices rose for their longest weekly gaining streak since a run that ended June 10, 2022, after forecasts for tightening supplies from the International Energy Agency (IEA).

The European Central Bank is on the back foot again and this time the bad news doesn't come from Greece, Italy or any of the usual suspects in the bloc's poorer south. The club's biggest member and supposed powerhouse, Germany, has been hit by a toxic mix of weak trading with key partner China, a slump in its large manufacturing and construction sectors and even some existential questions about a business model predicated on cheap fuel from Russia.

Trouble in Germany is hobbling growth in the euro zone as a whole and threatening to push it into a recession, rather than the "soft landing" of moderate growth and inflation that the ECB had pencilled in and the United States is still hopeful of achieving. This is forcing a change of tune at the ECB -- from ruling out a pause in its steepest and longest streak of interest rate hikes to openly talking about one as soon as next month.

And the market thinks the central bank may even have to undo some of those increases sooner rather than later. "If the government does not take decisive action, Germany is likely to remain at the bottom of the growth table in the euro area," said Ralph Solveen, an economist at Commerzbank.

1691823810715.png

This puts the ECB in a situation where it must contemplate wrapping up its tightening cycle before witnessing the sustained drop in core inflation it said it wanted to see.

"They've made a mistake in accentuating underlying inflation too much," said Carsten Brzeski, global head of macro for ING Research, said. "The risk is that they have already gone too far."

1691823829232.png

After declaring in June the ECB was "not even thinking about pausing" its rate hikes, Lagarde changed tack in her latest press conference, going as far as saying she didn't think the central bank had more ground to cover "at this point in time". But markets even doubt the high-for-longer scenario, with substantial rate cuts priced in for the second half of next year.

"We continue to expect the ECB to pivot significantly over the next few months, with no further hikes this year and March kicking off a series of rate cuts," economists ABN-AMRO said in a note to clients.

Data on Aug 16 could confirm that growth picked up in Q2. A preliminary estimate in late July showed GDP expanded by 0.3% in the second quarter versus the first. A number of indicators are pointing to a slowdown, including a measure of business activity, which has skidded into recession territory and yet unemployment is at a record low. Money markets show traders think the European Central Bank might raise interest rates one last time this year, before it starts cutting in the spring. The GDP figures could offer a steer on what kind of message investors might get next month from ECB President Christine Lagarde.

1691823971604.png

WHAT ALL THESE DATA MEANS?

Gasoline price has done their dirt deed. Taking into account the drought, the shortage of oil and the resumption of rising housing prices, we are entering a new inflationary spiral against the background of a record high rate, which is gradually "folding" the banks. It seems that in the US, the bottom of inflation has passed. Supposedly it was expected around 5-6%, but in principle, the Core CPI is somewhere a little below 5% and has stabilized.

We have early warning signals: ️gas has danced in Europe again, the problems with logistics begins, as US-China line, as China-Europe line. Food prices started back in June, and rice in general has risen by 50% well, mother oil is also growing, after Grandpa Jay Bi stopped selling oil from SPR.

In general, we are going almost strictly according to the schedule of 2021 - then in the summer, too, everything started like this and peaked in the summer of the next 2022, after which the decline began. As a matter of fact, the second wave has now started in the USA with a lag of 1 year 10 months- 2 years. So the middle of 2024 may turn out to be the peak in inflation, although it will be more difficult to bring it down - the SPR is half empty, and it is an election year, it is necessary to scatter money to voters. So we will have to see double-digit dollar inflation in the coming year.

As interest rates remain high and consumers run out of excess savings, the next falling market to fall in the second half of 2023 will be the services sector. This is one of the reasons why spreads on high-yield bonds have not yet expanded following the decline in the manufacturing index, as it usually happens. We already see this in recent PPI data, showing that inflation has jumped due to service sector.

By the way, recent CPI 0.2% jump interrupts 12-month sequence of CPI decreasing. Besides, The Fed will keep an eye on its new favorite - the consumer price index for basic Ex-Shelter services, which accelerated again in July (+0.2% mom and from +3.9% to +4.0% YoY). Another indirect sign of coming inflation jump - inflationary expectations that have increased again this month.

High interest rates start spreading and impact in all spheres of US economy. Interest coverage by EBITDA profit continues to decline. And this is not all the old cheap loans have been refinanced, as I mentioned earlier.So over the next few years, while keeping rates at a high level and as old loans are refinanced with new, more expensive ones, the cost of servicing loans by companies will continue to grow, the opportunity to attract additional loans for development will dry up and everything will slowly slide into depression. Although it will probably break sooner where it is thin.
1691827064614.png

Meantime, financial sphere - we do not see any big changes. Although this week the Fed has paused QT and its balance has slightly increased for ~ $1.3 Bln, demand for Money market funds is stable. And special credit loans and TARP programme show stable demand:
1691827339221.png

Recently many analysts and officials (JP Morgan an example) repeat the same mantras - "no recession on horizon". But, if there is no recession, there will be inflation. That's the beauty of the current situation. If there is no recession (this year, in principle, it can't happen even theoretically, only in I-IIQ 2024) - the price of oil and raw materials in general will grow due to high demand and a certain deficit and should increase inflation (as we expect it). High inflation means a high rate (and a deterioration in the credit quality of companies and the population, which means a decrease in demand - which is we see now already). High inflation and the rate - a drop in demand. Falling demand - stimulating demand and budget deficit. The budget deficit is the growth of the money supply (but it depends on the aggressiveness of the Fed to reduce the balance sheet) and inflation. In general, a vicious circle. Just note that we have not seen any significant improvements in demand in July, even against the background of huge borrowings and injections from the Ministry of Finance. And the problem is - demand is falling for some, and budget money is coming to others. So some industries may suffer more. In theory, the situation could be solved by a sharp increase in the production of raw materials, but here the eco-test spoils all fruits, and trillions of money and years of time will not come from anywhere quickly.

Technicals
Monthly
So, on monthly chart situation remains quiet, but could it be the silence before the storm? Formally trend remains bullish, but short-term performance looks bears with "Shooting star" pattern on top, forming W&R of previous top:

1691831254346.png

Weekly

Weekly time brings some thrilling, forming bullish grabber last week and price still stands above it. As you understand, this grabber has appeared right at daily 50% Fib support area and before data release, perfectly fits to reverse H&S that has been formed there. So, all together it was great technical background, which now is damaged by recent statistics. Formally, price still stands above the grabber, keeping it valid, but lower time frames performance tells that it is not for too long. Even on Thu we've said that EUR behaves "wrong" from bullish point of view, and Friday's performance confirms our worryings. Although this is not 3-Drive "Sell", but MACD shows clear bearish divergence. Since it is formed at monthly K-resistance area - it could be trusted. With recent sike and "Shooting star" together they form not bad bearish context:

1691831815448.png

Daily

Here market is confirming things that we've said on Friday's morning - more and more bearish sings appear and we do not consider any new longs by far. Yesterday market starts challenging the flag breakout. Nearest support stands around 1.0880 and EUR could spend some time around. But, if breakout happens, downside destination probably will be deeper. Pay attention to the table in left corner - this is OS/OB level. Daily one stands around 1.0838, so, EUR can't drop too far below the FIb level now.

1691832218473.png

Intraday

Since we do not have suitable AB-CD targets, we use recent butterfly ultimate downside extensions that give us 1.0892 and 1.0845 targets. First one agrees with daily 5/8 Fib level, while next one is near daily oversold:

1691832851554.png

On 1H chart we have local downside targets as well, and few levels to use for short entry. It makes sense to enter only if price remains under "C" point and K-resistance. Now it hits COP, so we could get minor bounce:

1691833284264.png

Last edited:
So, I am looking to buy the Dollar. I took Sive's advice and bought CHF a few months ago. I think USD will bring better returns in the next months. Especially if it will go to 0.9 against EUR.
Sive, where can I find that DiNapoli Control Panel and OB, OS feature? Is it a paid feature in the TW?
Thank you for the analysis!

So, I am looking to buy the Dollar. I took Sive's advice and bought CHF a few months ago. I think USD will bring better returns in the next months. Especially if it will go to 0.9 against EUR.
Sive, where can I find that DiNapoli Control Panel and OB, OS feature? Is it a paid feature in the TW?
Thank you for the analysis!

Hi Georgeta, this indicators pack is programmed by our forum member GliderFund. this is private pack, he just has let me to use it. So I can use it as a client but I can't share it as I have no access to the code. You could contact him directly on Trading View or here via PM and ask him about it. Once I have asked him, would you mind if other persons contact you about it - he had no objections. He has full DiNapoli pack, including Thrust scanner and other stuff.

Thank you! These are tools of great value for a trader.
Also, I wanted to tell something for some time now. Your trading style is just awesome, logical and most of all, profitable and consistent. I saw some gurus trading really big money and they dont even come close to your kind of trading. They are even making 1-2 pips a trade... :eek:.
Your work for over a decade should be something really important for the community of retail traders.

Thank you! These are tools of great value for a trader.
Also, I wanted to tell something for some time now. Your trading style is just awesome, logical and most of all, profitable and consistent. I saw some gurus trading really big money and they dont even come close to your kind of trading. They are even making 1-2 pips a trade... :eek:.
Your work for over a decade should be something really important for the community of retail traders.
Thank you. Trading style is very personal thing, it fits to somebody, to somebody does not, but we (me and FPA) are glad that it helps people to get knowledge here and assistance.

Morning everybody,

So, finally I'm in office, could make Full HD videos again. Also guys, think about charts - should I stay with Trading View or return back to MT4. Personally I like TW, because they are modern and give better presentation, but videos are for you, so, please - decide.

Speaking about EUR, we need actually only 1H chart today. As we've suggested EUR has dropped again. Overall fundamental background and rising of US yields support dollar and EUR has dropped out from the daily flag pattern:
1692085156701.png

By this action, first is has completed first 1.27 ultimate butterfly target, second - completed H&S failure, dropping below the head and out of the H&S trading range:
1692085210404.png

The only tricky moment today is 1H chart performance. Take a look - XOP barely has not been touched. It means that market could try to do it before major pullback starts. This is not 100%, but chances are high, especially now when EUR shows slow retracement and possible downside butterfly shape, with the same target as XOP:
1692085290745.png

The most pleasant thing is - as XOP as butterfly absolutely doesn't bother us, as we consider only short positions now. They bring problems for scalp bulls. Thus, with this tricky moment, once again, position split seems as good compromise. Taking 1/4-1/3 of the lot right now, then see. If butterfly works, we could close at XOP and wait for another pullback. If market goes to upper OP - we take the rest of the position at K-resistance area.
Conservative traders could ignore everything and just wait for K-resistance and Agreement resistance around 1.0990.

Morning everybody,

So, today, we mostly need only 1H chart for update, because on other time frames everything stands the same. The minor detail that I would like to add to 4H is bearish dynamic pressure. Trend has turned bullish and if price remains in sideways action - chances on downside action increases:
1692171306507.png

On 1H chart market hasn't formed the butterfly that we've discussed, but as we've said - it brought no problems, as downside reaction from K-resistance seems enough to move stops to breakeven (even twice). Now it is easy to recognize triangle (pennant) shape on 1H chart, which is in most cases a continuation pattern. Although we can't exclude totally more extended upside AB-CD action, back to 1.0950 level, but it seems that bears are in a bit better position. Daily trend, uncompleted 4H XOP target, tight consolidation, possible bearish dynamic pressure... So, one of the shape that market could form is a downside butterfly again, but a bit larger than yesterday.
1692171533231.png

That's being said, if you already have short position - you could keep it either with b/e stop (if possible) either initial stop somewhere above 1.0970 area. If not - then watch yesterday's video or update, where we've discussed different entry options, mostly they are the same today as well.

Morning everybody,
So, Fed minutes were a bit more hawkish that market expected, which has triggered US yields jump and additional pressure on dollar rivals. As a result, our short-term trading plan mostly is done. Yes, 1.0846 extension has not been tested for few pips, but EUR could try to touch it by current downside impulse tod-tom. Anyway, we're at the area where it makes sense to booking result, at least partially.

Price stands at 5/8 Fib support on daily chart, and tomorrow we get EU CPI numbers. Any upside surprise could inspire market to expect more ECB hawkish steps and support EUR. Despite that we expect downside continuation in mid-term - EUR could show moderate tactical bounce to get some relief after Fed minutes and technical targets that have been achieved:
1692262742131.png

On 4H chart, MACD divergence is forming:

1692262820968.png

On 1H chart our butterfly has worked nice, XOP is touched very accurately.
1692262873730.png

So, if you have bearish position - think about result booking (at least partially), if you don't - wait for pullback that has high chances to happen until the end of the week. We still do not consider any new longs by far.

Morning everybody,
So, Fed minutes were a bit more hawkish that market expected, which has triggered US yields jump and additional pressure on dollar rivals. As a result, our short-term trading plan mostly is done. Yes, 1.0846 extension has not been tested for few pips, but EUR could try to touch it by current downside impulse tod-tom. Anyway, we're at the area where it makes sense to booking result, at least partially.

Price stands at 5/8 Fib support on daily chart, and tomorrow we get EU CPI numbers. Any upside surprise could inspire market to expect more ECB hawkish steps and support EUR. Despite that we expect downside continuation in mid-term - EUR could show moderate tactical bounce to get some relief after Fed minutes and technical targets that have been achieved:
View attachment 85970

On 4H chart, MACD divergence is forming:

View attachment 85971

On 1H chart our butterfly has worked nice, XOP is touched very accurately.
View attachment 85972

So, if you have bearish position - think about result booking (at least partially), if you don't - wait for pullback that has high chances to happen until the end of the week. We still do not consider any new longs by far.
Sive, There is a lot of talk about the BRICS meeting next week [22 August] and that Saudi Arabia has applied to join the group. It is probable that Saudi Arabia will then break the petrodollar agreement with America and sell its oil in currencies other than dollars…it will be a MASSIVE blow to America and could be what leads to the dollar losing its reign as the global reserve currency of the world and creating a massive profit opportunity in the currency markets. If this takes place, what do you think will happen to the price of GB/US - EU/US - and Gold?

Back