1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chapter 26, Part I. Let's Start with Carry Page 3

Discussion in 'Complete Trading Education- Forex Military School' started by Sive Morten, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sive Morten

Sive Morten Special Consultant to the FPA

Still, on the bond you have to wait for a maturity date – this is a long time, while on forex this difference is deposited or withdrawn from your account balance daily. That’s another small positive splash of the forex market. This transaction is made by your broker.

Pipruit: Hm, and how does he know how long I will hold my position?​

Commander in Pips: You don’t understand. Your broker deposits or withdraws the sum of carry just for passing a single day. If you will hold position for one more day –he will do this again by close, and so on. Carry result (positive or negative) accumulates on your account day by day. When you will finally close your position – you will get the carry accurately for the term that you’ve held it open.

Pipruit: OK, I see. And why do you said “deposit or withdraw”?

Commander in Pips: Because it depends on direction of your position, since as you’ve said early, carry could be positive or negative. The first case will lead to deposit while the second to withdrawal. Technically it happens as follows:

If you hold your position overnight, broker makes its so-called “roll over” – closes it and opens at the same quote. All spot forex positions close by the end of the day. This “day” term is a bit blurry and depends on your broker. Each broker has its own “closing day time”, but as a rule this time coincides with 0:00 of local time or some major time zone. Your broker closes your position and reopens again at the same quote, so you do not even see it. At the same moment it deposits or withdraws the carry cost for the past day. So this transaction of closing and reopening calls “Roll over”.

#1 Sive Morten, Dec 26, 2013
    Lasted edited by : Oct 2, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.