My credit card was used by a company to deposit by themselves

Andrew73

Recruit
Someone from a trading company in London used my credit card to deposit non-stop at their company, then tries to withdraw it
May I know is it possible for me (from another country) to take legal action against it & how much will it cost? Can my credit card company help me do that?
Or how much should I be compensated to avoid lawsuits? They only offered to let me withdraw the $900 deposited amount, like nothing was wrong & did not offer me an explanation
What would be the best action? I've already signed a form for my bank to investigate their company but have not sent it yet
I would prefer settling it out of court but they do not seem to be willing to compensate me
It is a small amount, but the fact remains that a representative from their company used my credit card to deposit in their company by himself non-stop until my credit card is terminated, can there be criminal charges due to credit card fraud too?

Details of my case:
Someone from that company phoned me in the middle of the night asking for my credit card number for investment
At first I thought I didn't give him my credit card number, but then I remember that he phoned me when I was sleeping,
which was why I was blur, sleepy & might have accidentally gave him my credit card number

But he should never ask for a client's credit card number or use it to simply deposit money by himself then try to withdraw it
And why can he access my account to deposit & withdraw money? How can their company let employees takeover my account?

Then I found out someone used my credit card to deposit non-stop for a total of 4 times before my credit card company finally stopped it
It looks like he might be planning on keep using my credit card if it wasn't stopped

I also mentioned my case to their customer support but the 1st one replied me for a while then when he found out what my case was, he ended my chat without even answering me anymore, which is rude, unprofessional & suspicious
The 2nd one said he'll have someone call me to clarify the situation but I saw a withdrawal issued the next day, they're actually letting him withdraw all my money!
I had to report it to them again & they appeared not to even know about my case

What company did this?

You may not need to take legal action. Call your credit card's issuing bank. Ask to speak to someone in the fraud department. Explain everything to the fraud department and ask if a chargeback is appropriate.

The company's name is Opteck
They also tried to justify their actions by saying that their company allows them to access their client's accounts to deposit & withdraw money with their consent
Even if I actually gave my credit card number to him while I was half-asleep & don't even remember what I was doing (which shouldn't even be valid), I never asked him to deposit multiple times until my credit card is terminated or withdraw any money later
Which shows that they abused my credit card & simply deposit & withdraw whenever they like
Now I have no credit card to use & have to wait for a new one...

Thank you for warning.

I hope Opteck guys will reply to this thread. As for your credit card, at least your money is in your pocket. Your story about giving the card number while you were sleeping doesn't wave a responsibility from you, next time be more careful.

Definitely talk to the credit card company. Yes, you gave the card number, but if you didn't specifically agree to let the company withdraw at whim.

Here's a good piece of general advice - NEVER give your credit card number to anyone who calls you. Even if you have a longstanding business relationship with a company, someone might have managed to steal some of their client contact info. If you want to use a credit card with a company that has called, call them back at a number that is listed on their main website or in paperwork that you are 100% certain is really from the company.

Back