• Please try to select the correct prefix when making a new thread in this folder.

Discuss is for general discussions of a financial company or issues related to companies.

Info is for things like "Has anyone heard of Company X?" or "Is Company X legit or not?"

Compare is for things like "Which of these 2 (or more) companies is best?"

Searching is for things like "Help me pick a broker" or "What's the best VPS out there for trading?"

Problem is for reporting an issue with a company. Please don't just scream "CompanyX is a scam!" It is much more useful to say "I can't withdraw my money from Company X" or "Company Y is not honoring their refund guarantee" in the subject line.
    Keep Problem discussions civil and lay out the facts of your case. Your goal should be to get your problem resolved or reported to the regulators, not to see how many insults you can put into the thread.

More info coming soon.

Problem Apiary Investment Fund - Too good to be true??

I am having an issue with a company
Apiary Investment Fund
G'day everyone - I think I've been scammed - so you can all pat me on the head and kick my butt - I deserve it. I am now in the process of
asking for my money back. I was recruited by David Lone and was rung up by Barbara Evans (associate director). Shawn Lucas is the principal director. I am from New Zealand. Apiary Investment Fund is based in Lindon Utah. There is no record of the Company or the individuals registered with Securities and Exchange Commission and there is no record of either in the EDGAR system (Electronic Data Gathering Analysis and Retrieval System). The following supports my claim which you can find under SEC Note: If you will be acting as a "broker" or "dealer,"you must not engage in securities business until you are properly registered. If you are already engaged in the business and are not yet registered, you should cease all activities until you are properly registered. For further information, please see Part II.D and Part III, below. Watch this space!

Hello new member tuff2trade,
Welcome to FPA. You need not consider yourself at fault if ever you somehow become a victim of a scam.
You are certainly not the first, nor will you be the last; but when scammed, it is usually innocence, ignorance, or idiocy that permits one to fall into an even a poorly laid trap.
You must understand some things about registration requirements in the US.
Apiary Fund is a private company, not a publicly owned stock corporation where investors own a share in the company and where the company would therefore be subject to SEC Regulation.
They do not operate a brokerage or dealership, nor are they money managers of public funds.
Edgar is a reporting service for publicly owned corporations that have issued registered bonds and/or stocks, and who are listed and traded on an exchange.
Edgar is not involved with privately held companies like Apiary; who are under no legal or moral obligation to disclose to you their inner workings.
The fact that there are no Edgar filings in completely irrelevant for this company.
You must also understand the CFTC specifically exempts "Education Services" like coaches, training providers, colleges, universities, academics, and signal service providers because they are specifically required to loudly disclaim they are not providing you 'Investment Advice'.
Without such exemption in the law, it would be truly impossible to educate any student of finance or train any trader in any educational institution or brokerage anywhere.
In my opinion this is a necessary, useful, and entirely appropriate regulatory environment.
Without it, I myself would be unable to comment here; and what good would that serve (except the joy of my critics and those that would tear down the forest fence to fraudsters)?
That is how Apiary functions; as a provider of financial education, software, and tools; for better or worse.
They make prominent, full disclosure of such on their website and terms of service, in compliance with those requirements.
The package they market and sell to the public is for training purposes; you are therefore warned you are personally responsible to evaluate independently the quality of their offering, and you are responsible for making your own investment decisions.
Whenever any financial advisor chooses to make specific trade recommendations to individual non-qualified clients in exchange for a fee, he or she must be a registered representative (stock broker), a registered broker-dealer, a mutual fund manager, a CTA (like myself), a CPO, an AP working for a broker-dealer or an FCM, or an Independent Registered Investment Advisor.
This is not how Apiary is organized.
Apiary's model includes (in addition to their proprietery education), an opportunity for trainees who are capable of learning their trading methodology and successfully applying it consistently for a while in a monitored demo account they provide and analyze, to earn an opportunity to trade Apiary's own money in exchange for a share of the profits you actually earn for them.
This is an uncommon business model that is based upon proprietery trading techniques and a business model devised about two decades ago by others, when computer technology and the emergence of the internet first made powerful trading tools available to independent traders at a reasonable cost.
Apiary has developed their particular model to intentionally bypass the usual regulatory requirements for any trainee to first become a 'Registered Entity', in order to engage in managing OPM (other people's money); while avoiding the risks of hiring rank amateur traders who advertize unsustainable or questionable track records, such as those readily available on Zulutrade, etc.
This is only legally possible because there is zero financial risk to the public or the trainee himself, whom once granted trading priviledges over a sub-account of their funds actually becomes a 'Section-1099 Independent Contractor' under US Internal Revenue Service rules, while risking nothing other than Apiary's own funds in the venture.
If you as a trader that can prove yourself capable of generating profits, you shall share in them; while Apiary will absorb any losses you incur on their behalf in their account.
The better your real money results, the more of their capital you are allocated to trade, and the larger your % of the profits that become yours to keep.
Meanwhile, all poorer performers are weeded out, continuously.
Their goal is to continually train-up a fresh group of new, successful traders, who have learned how to trade profitably, without fianancial risk to the traders themselves.
Through this process of helping Apiary Fund grow its Master Account while eventually launching one's self into a trading career with the confidence you can actually succeed in trading; theoretically, once proven you have the chops to actually do it consistently, you are now on our own.
Yes, there is a cost to obtain this kind of training; just as is true for the priviledge of acheiving an MBA at The Wharton School, Harvard Business School, or USC.
I do not mean to compare Apiary's education with that of these esteemed institutions; but, there purposes are not dissimilar.
I am no shill for Apiary, for I have not yet formed an opinion regarding the quality of their education or their trading methodology.
Rather, I simply defend their right to offer what they do honestly; while it remains up to you (the prospect), and to me the professional, to assess the their offering independently; and measure it against its cost.
Just as with any University or Trade School Education, there is never a guarantee of success nor any particular job awaiting you if you actually complete your degree; but, the chances are a hell of a lot better with one, than without one.
To that end, I am in the midst of a thorough investigation into the quality of this firm's offerings, since it has received some mixed reviews here in the past.
Apiary's Representative: Nate Allred, has recently joined us here on FPA, and has just this week established a Review Page and Discussion Board for ApiaryFund users and observers, established at our request.
Tuft2trade, you came here to claim you have been scammed; but you have not provided us any evidence of that, nor have you described your experience in any way to suggest it.
Now that you may better understand how this company is organized and that they are not in violation of any registration requirements I am aware of, please rethink your post and feel free to comment freely and fairly.
Please describe just what your beef is with them.
We are all interested in hearing your 'Real World' experience with them in a factual manner, without the the hype and suspicions you initially brought.
If there are issues to be investigated we will certainly do so with you and for you, and for the greater good.
Anthony Ingrassia, CTA
NFA ID#: 0278164

Last edited:
Hello new member tuff2trade,
Welcome to FPA. You need not consider yourself at fault if ever you somehow become a victim of a scam.
You are certainly not the first, nor will you be the last; but when scammed, it is usually innocence, ignorance, or idiocy that permits one to fall into an even poorly laid trap.
Anthony Ingrassia, CTA
NFA ID#: 0278164

thanks Master Sergeant for your efforts in presenting a thorough review. When do you think you will be a position to present the review?

By way of clarification on the agreement. We do offer mentoring opportunities for some individuals. The overall objective is to help a trader reach their personal goals. Each trader has different time constraints and different levels of risk. We will show a trader a proven trading system then show them how to apply the system within the parameters of their risk tolerance, and when they are trading. We also know that not all people learn at the same rate which is why we commit to work with people until they are satisfied, via our professionals. So the only way that they should fail is if they give up. "We will continue working with you until you are funded or completely satisfied."

We fund "strictly based upon an associate's ability to meet specific performance criteria and is not dependent upon your being a part of the coaching program. There are no other guarantees, warranties, or refunds for Associated who chose to participate."

Thank you for this Anthony. It has been a sharp lesson for me and I appreciate your reply.
Now I want to put some things right. First of all - I'm new to currencies and I am from New Zealand. I was attracted to Apiary Investment Fund for their 12 week training course. No experience necessary. They would teach me their methods. I responded to their ad and received a call from their recruiter. Then another call from one of their trainers. Their response was spot on. Apiary confirmed receipt of payment Jan 16 2013 and an email would follow shortly. I sent another email Jan 21 2012 to let them know I hadn't received their email. In the meantime, I thought I would do an independent check on them and that's how I found your site. I was horrified when I saw some of the negative comments and then really started to do some digging. Yes you are right Anthony I was barking up the wrong tree, but eventually found FPA, after I had posted to your site and later confirmed by phone call from Nate Allred.
I emailed Apiary Jan 22 2012 asking for a refund and I'm sorry to say the letter I sent was in angry mode, looking back on it - I would call it downright nasty.
Received a phone call from Apiary the same morning and an email with the relevant software to download. Unfortunately I had to be away for
the day, but before I left home, I sent an email of thanks. Returned home yesterday and 5 voicemails from Apiary. I was about to ring them, when Nate rung. He was happy to make the refund and I was happy to accept.
So what did I learn from this journey: Well Anthony -I fit the category, innocence, ignorance and idiocy. I assumed too much. I didn't do due diligence before joining Apiary and realised I wasn't ready to take that step.
To Apiary Investment Group and especially to Nate my heartfelt apologies. Your response after my nasty email was conducted in a professional and generous manner - I thank you for that. Out of courtesy to Apiary I have not activated the software sent to me.
To FPA and especially Anthony - I realise now I had used your site out of anger and I am really sorry for that. I am not trying to justify my actions, but I would have appreciated some background information on Apiary Investment Groups business structure, personel, how long they have been in business etc
It also gave me an opportunity to find out about SEC, FINRA, EDGAR, FPA, NFA, CFTC, ICPEN etc- this is like learning a new language.
So my take on Apiary Investment Group concerning customer service prior to joining is 9 out of 10.Why not 10? - because the email from Apiary to say "I would receive an email shortly" - shouldn't take 5 days.

Last edited:
Thank you for this Anthony. It has been a sharp lesson for me and I appreciate your reply. . . . Nate . . .was happy to make the refund and I was happy to accept.
So what did I learn . . -I fit the category, innocence, ignorance and idiocy. I assumed too much. I didn't do due diligence before joining Apiary and realised I wasn't ready to take that step.
. . . I realise now I had used your site out of anger and I am really sorry for that. . . .

OK tuff2trade,
"It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken" (Google it).
1st Law of Frank Perdue
"Don't count your chickens before they hatch" (Let us know when the cash is actually back in your account).
2nd Law of Frank Perdue

Seems you learned more in a week than many do in a year or two. Don't be so hard on yourself; this is no easy money career.
There are many good free organized articles organized here in the FPA Military School, where you can study at you own pace, and cut your teeth without risking a dime:
Forex Military School | Complete Forex Education by a Pro Banker - Forex Peace Army Forum
Watch and listen here on FPA to all the wilting flowers who learned the hard way how to lose their money.
I am not certain yet about Apiary's integrety or the effectiveness of their preferred structured trading concept, even less regarding any vague trading coaching services they now or may have previously offerred.
I will be attempting to document a test of their formal training program here soon.
As a rule, if any automated or trade copier system provider does not provide a duplicatable, live, real-money, third-party audited track record through mt4i or MyFxbook, just walk away.
Signal systems are much harder to quantify, structured training methods are very difficult to confirm, and coaching based performance is in the eye of the beholder.
Apiary uses the lure of potentially riskless trading (the Scent) to attract their "Bees" (the Workers) to do the hard job of making Honey that sustains the bees and the hive.
The "Flower" must give something of itself (the Nectar of Training) to get a job done it can't do for itself (Pollination).
The irony is that in nature, these two funtions are symbiotic and complimentary. the flower cares nothing for honey, nor does the bee have any use for seeds.
Where the Apairy happy fizzies party could easily break down is as always, with human sloath and greed. No one wants the work, and everyone, the honey.
Everthing about the model requires integrety on all sides. Sound familiar?
Indeed there 'could' be a 'Seed' generated here over the longer term, in that fat and happy older bees qualify to become new trainers and coaches.
Seeds that grow to trees make new homes for more hives.
In nature your born a bee or your born a flower; and it is in your own self-interest to service the other.
Amongst humans, only the monastics live in nearly balanced mutual interest.
The more furtile the soil and the more ideal the weather, the more likely we would see a stable result.
Perhaps you see why getting fair test results are the only way to know; for only the Principals know if they are honorable or scoundrels.
AI

Last edited:
Hi,
can you tell me when you went through the application, as I have been on the online webinar had my inital meeting and a trading manager is callin gme to work out the numbers and see if it makes sense, they are saying they will show me the return on investment.
After reading these posts now I'm not sure I want to do talk to them.

Thanks

Back