GOLD PRO Weekly March 17-21, 2014

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals

According to Reuters news, gold rose to a six-month high on Friday as investors turned to bullion as a safe-haven from East-West tensions before a vote planned for Sunday on whether Ukraine's Crimea region should join Russia. Moscow shipped more troops and armor into Crimea on Friday and repeated its threat to invade other parts of Ukraine, showing no sign of heeding Western pleas to back off from a Cold War-style confrontation. Russia's stock markets tumbled and the cost of insuring its debt soared on the last day of trading before pro-Moscow authorities in Crimea hold a referendum on joining Russia, a move all but certain to lead to U.S. and European Union sanctions on Monday.
"There are people here with possible concerns that you will see a heavy price spike (in gold) if this vote does go in," said Thomas Capalbo, a precious metals trader at Newedge, a brokerage in New York. "Gold is up on situational buying." The metal has gained 3 percent this week, also helped by China's first corporate bond default and fears of slowdown in the world's second-largest economy. Gold was also supported by Friday's data showing U.S. consumer sentiment weakened in early March.
FED WATCH
The market was awaiting the U.S. Federal Reserve's policy meeting on March 18-19. The central bank is expected to announce another $10 billion cut to its bond-buying stimulus. .S. economic data showing that growth has been hurt by severe cold weather has recently hit the dollar, which fell 0.2 percent against a basket of currencies after weak U.S. producer prices on Friday. Global uncertainties sent investors looking for gold, with holdings in SPDR Gold Trust - the world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund - rising 2.1 tonnes to 813.30 tonnes on Thursday.
Monthly
On previous week market has created couple of moment that could have important consequences in long-term perspective. First is – price has moved above Yearly Pivot point and this has happened almost without any struggle. Second moment – monthly trend could turn bullish in March. At least right now price stands above MACD Predictor. This situation also could shift to stop grabber, right? But anyway, despite what it will be either bullish or bearish result – this will be very important.
From fundamental part of view there two opposite opinions. Some analysts tell about 1050-1100 level and point that current action comes from negative US data, but this data is a result of heavy winter. As spring will come – data will improve and rally will be over. Others have opposite opinion. In general, here is excellent article on bloomberg, dedicated to gold, I’ll keep it here for another week:
Top Two Gold Forecasters Remain Bearish After 2014 Rally - Bloomberg
Second opinion comes from UBS – it opositely has increased forecast on gold:
Gold Losing Stigma for UBS as Tully Increases Forecasts for 2014 - Bloomberg
(But guys, to be honest, I suspect that both forecasts could be reached. Recall our long-term expectation – two leg retracement down. Now we expect deep retracement and later return to previous lows. Hence, first forecast of higher prices has relation to current retracement, while second one – to second leg, when gold due bearish momentum should return right back down to current lows.)
Let me add just two cents from my own to fundamental picture. Shortly speaking – I think that situation around Ukrain will become tougher in nearest months. It will not get any relief soon. If even all events will stop right now and will not change at all – this is a big host of problems that will require to dig out. But situation becomes tougher. Now South-East Ukraine fall in chain reaction on Crimea referendum. Mass strikes and separation calls sound louder and louder. This hardly will stop very soon and consequences could be really terrible. I’m afraid that we will get spike up on Monday’s morning. And current events do not let me stay on bearish view on gold market right now.
Next long term target yearly PR1 is also very significant. We know that gold likes to re-test previously broken lows and consolidations. 1540 area is monthly overbought, YPR1 and low border of broken long-term rectangle. As market was strongly oversold, very often it has tendency to reach overbought. Market is a impulse substance and reaction equals to counter reacion.
As another application of significantly oversold we’ve suggested retracement up. Thus, we’ve made an assumption of possible deeper upward retracement that could take a shape of AB=CD, and invalidation for this setup is previous lows around 1170s. Market right now is forming something like double bottom. Currently we should keep a close eye on move up.
That’s being said – nearest target here is 1430 resistance level, while taking in consideration golds’ habits, geopolitical tension and technical issues, now we treat probability of reaching 1540 level as very high.

gold_m_17_03_14.png

Weekly
Trend is bullish here, market is not at overbought. Currently market shows very important information. Market has confirmed bullish ambitions by fast and furious breakout through AB=CD minor 0.618 target and Agreement. This area was passed by market as it was no exist. This just tells us how strong market is. As market is not at overbought and, in fact it has no technical barriers till 1430 level – we probably should search possibility to take long position. From that standpoint we have nice thrust up here that is suitable for some DiNapoli patterns. As market has no significant barriers as we’ve said – I would probably bet on appearing on B&B “Buy”.
gold_w_17_03_14.png

Daily
As you can see, daily chart is growing and growing and… well, you see it by yourself. No chances for entry on long side on at least single meaningful retracement. Now price stands at overbought. Recent thrust up here is also suitable for DiNapoli direction pattern. May be overbought condition will give us some chances for entry on long side of the market. If this will happen there are two levels to watch for – 1330 Fib support and 1295-1310 K-support area. Trend is bullish as on weekly as on daily chart.
gold_d_17_03_14.png

1-hour
Well, here I can tell only one thing. We have bullish grabber and it suggests taking out of previous highs. Thus, before any retracement if it will happen at all, of cause some upward action should happen.
gold_1h_17_03_14.png

Conclusion:
Market currently stands extremely bullish. Geopolitical tensions and fast changes in world political situation do not let market show reaction on situation on short-term charts. When market just starts retracement due technical issues – it breaks by some new political or fundamental events.
Thus our major analysis mostly stands on monthly and weekly charts. On lower time frames we can point only potential issues that could help us to join with upward action. But no one potential pattern has been formed yet there.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Gold Daily Update Tue 18, March 2014

Good morning,
Our short-term hourly setup has been accomplished - market has formed new highs and right now has formed at least something - bearish engulfing pattern in resistance area around Yearly Pivot Point. As we've said, this is, in fact, the last barrier on a road to 1430 target. So, here is a chance to get retracement down for taking a long position. If this pattern will work we could get action to 1330 area first.
As you undertsand now all stands around geopolitical tensions. Investors say that if Putin in today's speech will give no hint on possible invasion in south-Eastern Ukraine - markets will get some relief and easing of risk aversion. If he will say that Russia will do anything that it has to protect its people - in this case risk aversion will continue and demand for JPY and gold will surge again.
But guys, new Ukraine government has moved military forces to the borders of S-E Ukraine to struggle againts with disagree people. This could lead to civil war and I suspect that we will not see any relief here soon. Sanctions from the west makes situation much worse and economical turmoil could surplus to political one. Thus, I do not expect soon reversal on gold market and suspect that we stand on the road to 1540. Any retracement down will be gift for us probably:
gold_d_18_03_14.png

On 4-hour chart we could get DiNapoli directonal pattern probably, if market will show some bounce after re-testing of 1355 former highs. Next downside target will be probably WPS1+border of the channel.
gold_4h_18_03_14.png

Theoretically guys, we have reasons to take scalp short positions, but personally I would not do this. This could be too expensive. I would better watch for current retracement as a chance to take long position, just because this is safer...

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Wed 19, March 2014

Good morning,
It looks like gold finally has turned to reasonable retracement down, as markets have got some relief from geopolitical tensions and switch to Fed meeting. At least right now price is doing attempt to move below previous highs. Minimum downside target, based on engulfing pattern points on trend line support. If we will go further then next target is MPP+daily oversold. This target also coincides with DeMark tool. Trend holds bearish here as well as short-term context:
gold_d_19_03_14.png

On 4-hour chart market has not given as any chances to take scalp short position since no reasonable retracement has been shown. In nearest hours price probably will reach solid support area - WPS1+trend line where it could turn to reasonable bounce:
gold_4h_19_03_14.png

That is also confirmed by potential Butterfly "buy" pattern that has 1.618 extension precisely in the same area. Reasonable retracement up could give us chance to take scalp short-position. At least we will keep in mind this possibility when start to monitor this retracement:
gold_1h_19_03_14.png

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Thu 20, March 2014

Good morning,
yesterday gold has shown more downward action compares to what we've suggested and was not respect has been made to WPS1+trend line support. This makes us to think that we will get downward continuation. At the same time it should not treated as something outstanding. Retracement to 1300 area is absolutely normal for gold in current conditions. Moving below 1300 will put under question existing of bullish sentiment. At least this will warning sign for bulls.
As you can see 1300 area is rather strong support, including K-support area, MPP and daily oversold. That's our primary area where we will watch for buy signals:

gold_d_20_03_14.png

At the same time right now short-term context is bearish - trend and action are bearish as well. Thus, why we should avoid any bearish patterns?
On 4-hour chart we have excellent thrust down and here I would watch for possible B&B "Sell" that could start from K-resistance. I like this are also because this is broken WPS1+trend line and gold likes to re-visit such places. BTW, guys, the fact that market has moved below WPS1 tells that might be new short-term bear trend is borning right now...
gold_4h_20_03_14.png

Hourly chart shows how price could reach 1350 K-resistance. It could be done by DRPO "Buy" here, on hourly...
gold_1h_20_03_14.png

Thus, you can see - a lot of patterns on any taste - take long position on hourly DRPO, wait for short entry on 4-hour possible B&B "Sell" or just expect 1300 support on daily...

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Fri 21, March 2014

Good morning,
Yesterday gold market has shown shy action and all that we've said about daily chart on Thursday is still valid. Nearest area that is worthy of our attention is 1300 range - K-support, daily oversold and MPP. Here we could get as intraday short-term patterns for trading as this could become an area where market will re-establish upward trend:

gold_d_21_03_14.png

Thus, right now I see only one object for short-term trading is possible DiNapoli pattern on 4-hour chart. Yesterday we've monitored for B&B, but this has not happened because market has dropped slightly lower. But right now here is nice shape for DRPO "Buy". Once it will be formed - it could lead market right to 1347 resistance area:

gold_4h_21_03_14.png

But price has not formed it yet, so let's continue watching...

Last edited:
Back