GOLD PRO Weekly September 30 - October 04, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals
Reuters informs that Gold prices ended up about 1.0 percent on Friday, driven up by a possible shutdown of U.S. government operations next week and the threat of a debt default in mid-October, as well as by the prospects for continued easy monetary policy from the Federal Reserve. The U.S. government braced on Friday for the possibility of a partial shutdown of operations on Oct. 1 as Congress struggled to pass an emergency spending bill that Republicans want to use to de-fund the new healthcare reform law. Congress also faces the hard task of raising the limit on federal borrowing authority, which Republicans are targeting for controversial add-ons. Without a debt limit increase by Oct. 17, U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew has warned, the United States would have a difficult time paying creditors and operating the government. "Number one, people are worried about what's going on with the potential government shutdown and looking to gold for a safe asset," said to Reuters New York Donald Selkin, chief market strategist at National Securities Corp. in New York. "And second," he said, "The comments from Fed President Evans, when he said 'No tapering,' which means the dollar could weaken and gold would go up because there's more money floating around." Charles Evans, president of the Chicago Federal Reserve Bank told reporters on Friday, there was a "decent chance" that tapering could start in October or December, but it could be pushed into 2014."
Yesterday, guys, we also have made some comments on this subject in fundamental part of our EUR weekly research. This is really interesting and thrilling topic, thus, it will be just perfect – if you will read it and we can open discussion on forum.

CFTC data still shows flat action, at least open interest has not changed much within previous month. Report does not give us additional clarification. Although net position is changing and has grown on previous week – open interest has not changed. It means that market stands indecision, and no new contracts were added. Position is changing because already existed contracts just change the holder.
CFTC_Gold_27_09_13.gif
Thus, if you’ve read introduction to EUR research, we will get really tough month – turmoil around government, NFP, Debt Ceil, GDP and FOMC meeting. Let’s see how we will out from this…
Monthly
Fortunately or unfortunately, guys, but we can’t add much comments on monthly chart. September candle still inside one for August.
It might happen that we now stand at the eve of some important events as we’ve said above and who knows, may be we will have to drastically change our view on the market soon. But right now we will continue to hold with our previous analysis suggesting that market now stands in upward retracement. September black candle is not a tragedy and even looks absolutely reasonable. Take a look, we have almost a year of consequtive drop – month by month. Previous 2 candles were the first ones up. Bearish momentum is not disappear it still on the market and presses on it, does not let market freely change sentiment. Thus, such sort of “returns” should not surprise us. All other analysis here is still the same. Current move down probably should become a part of compounded retracement up, until market will not take current lows. Only in this case we could say that bearish trend has continued.
We keep in mind Volatility breakout pattern and know that there will be 3-leg downward action. This means that current bounce will be just retracement probably. Second, currently we know that market at support – Fib support, target of rectangle breakout, completion of double harmonic swing down and monthly deep oversold. Unfortunately monthly chart does not give us much assistance in short-term trading. One bullish pattern that probably could be seen here is bullish DiNapoli “Stretch” pattern, since market stands at deep oversold right at Fib support. Target of this pattern is a middle between Oscillator Predictor Bands – right around 1550$ area. That is also the lower border of long-term consolidation after historical peak. This area agrees with “Stretch” pattern as well.

gold_m_30_09_13.png

Weekly
Passed week also was an inside one. Two weeks ago market action has taken shape on high wave pattern and indicated that market stands indecision. New candle, although has shown shy upward action, in general, shows rather tight range and just confirms our thoughts that we’ve made in fundamental part of research – investors are waiting of changes and do not take fast and drastical steps.
Speaking about previous analysis, mostly it is stands the same. It is too early to say that market has started move down again. Current price action is absolutely normal for reversal swing. Trend holds bullish, market stands at 50% support level and MPS1. Recent candles as we’ve said, mostly indicates indecision, since price has closed around open level. Retracement down is also reasonable, since market has hit major 0.382 Fib resistance level. Taking into consideration previous bearish power and momentum, market just can’t show light retracement, since momentum is still here and it should be fade out particularly by deep retracements. In general, we probably will say that market has re-established bearish trend only if it will take out current lows around 1170. Or if we will see some clear signs of inability to move higher.
gold_w_30_09_13.png

Daily
Bearish context has become stronger on Friday. As we do not have much to discuss on monthly and weekly charts, here we have a lot. Previous week was tight consolidation that has created bearish flag pattern. Market has not shown any signs that could confirm its bullish ambitions. As a result, upward action was shy and bearish stop grabber still holds, although market has not quite reached its target yet. Even more, on Friday we’ve got another one – right inside the flag. Thus, hopes on easy upward continuation with suggested butterfly are melting fast and probably we should be ready for downward action on coming week. Trend is bearish here and market not at oversold. If downward action will start we could get two different AB-CD patterns. Here I draw first and greater one, second AB=CD we will discuss below. Interestingly, that 0.618 target stands at 1288 - slightly lower than previous lows and this target perfectly agree with stop grabbers. Also it opens the door for W&R, because market could just accomplish AB-CD minor target and then turn back. It stands very close to 5/8 Fib support as well. Market has a lot of possibilities for different pitfalls and it is very difficult to predict what will happen in really. Still, let’s focus on the first step – move to 1288.

gold_d_30_09_13.png

4-hour
But 4-hour chart really could put paid on bulls’ hopes. Just take a look at it. Huge butterfly “Buy” with 1.27 extension around 1270 – in agreement with major 5/8 Fib support. Inner AB=CD pattern also has 100% target around 1280 – that’s our second AB=CD.
So, let’s try to combine the puzzle and see what we have. Bearish trend on daily, two bearish stop grabbers with minimum target around 1288, market’s inability to start move up on previous week that takes the shape of bearish flag and finally – butterfly “buy” with 1.27 extension in agreement with 5/8 Fib support with daily grabber as a starting point of right wing down. I do not want to take long positon by far, since I do not see reasons for that. Conversely, we have mostly bearish context probably.
gold_4h_30_09_13.png

1-hour
Here market is taking the shape of rising wedge (daily flag pattern). Four waves have been done already inside of the wedge and usually breakout takes place on 5th wave and it should be down. It is possible that market could move slightly higher and even create a new high. In this case it will reach 5/8 Fib resistance and take the shape of 3-Drive Sell pattern. But situation on hourly chart absolutely does not contradict with overall picture on other time frames.
gold_1h_30_09_13.png

Conclusion:
Situation becomes tough on financial markets. In October we will get a lot of significant fundamental events and we have suspicion that it could lead to huge flow among assets, particularly speaking – out of US stocks.
Meantime in short-term perspective, gold has failed to convince us with possible upward continuation and probability now stands in favor of bearish development

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Gold Daily Update Tue 01, October 2013

Good morning,
well guys, to be honest, I can't say much right now and I suspect is a few who can. Market has dived into turmoil right in the beginning of October. What will happen, how it will impact US economy? Who knows... It depends on how long government will be in shutdown and how long budget employees will stand without wages and in vacation.
As market stands quiet, it makes me think that investors also do not quite know what do to, at least currently. Now we will enter in period of mass media - speeches, discussion, publications and so on. Volatility could grow significantly.
By taking a look at technical picture - we still have both contradictive patterns valid. As potential for upward daily Butterfly "Sell" exists as downward action dues stop grabber is also valid. As you can see, price stands in a wide range of FOMC meeting candle. As a rule, direction of breakout will determine further action. As price action still stands flat, we also can't make any reasonable conclusion. Major our analysis we've specified in weekly research:
gold_d_01_10_13.png

On 4-hour chart market still holds above support line and our butterfly "buy" is still valid, price action is very tight either:
gold_4h_01_10_13.png

On hourly chart market still stands with upward channel. As we've suggested that market still could hit 1348 area - to accomplish 1.618 AB=CD target of initial swing up (see weekly research) - that has happened, and right before turmoil, traders has started to close positions, gold, slightly dropped. Now we see european reaction on shutdown. So, as we have no patterns, I think better to not hurry and wait some clarity here.
gold_1h_01_10_13.png

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Wed 02, October 2013

Good morning,
so, our first target has been hit yesterday, market has reached 5/8 major support around 1275, 0.618 extension of AB-CD and, guys, take a look - October MPS1. Classical target of flag breakout also has been touched.
Now, as I've said EUR update, we will not get NFP numbers on current week, since Department of Labor is not working. And major thought by far - what will happen if government will remain shut downed till October 17th - debt ceil date. I will not even try to predict consequences.
Currently I do not see much what could be done on gold. If you hold shorts, think about partial profit taking and tighting stop. Now gold stands at significant point, because, if it will continue move down, it will move below MPS1 and, in fact it will be door open to previous lows. While if it will return right back inside the range, it could lead to upward breakout and move to previous highs around 1440.
gold_d_02_10_13.png

On 4-hour chart, the target of butterfly has not quite reached by price action. May be it wll happen today and after that we should keep looking closely on whether price will hold below 1290 or not.
gold_4h_02_10_13.png

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Thu 03, October, 2013

Good morning,
as I've said in EUR research, markets now unstable and mostly are driven by fears. The same is for gold. I will not repeat everything here, and just say that defaults never come by plan. Thus, I have a lot of suspicions that any default will happen on 17th of October. But I beleive that this problem could be and probably will be resolved right at the edge, even right on 17th of October, within few hours till 18th. Only by this way a lot of money from market could earned and we probably should see solid plunge down on gold and screams of those who is buying now...
Still, I absolutely do not exclude that gold market will drift higher - to MPP or even to upper border of daily consolidation. Market has held above MPS1 and major 5/8 Fib support and returned right back into daily consolidation.
gold_d_03_10_13.png

Meantime, it is difficult to recomment to take any position mostly because situation on 4-hour chart is twofold. Market is showing upward retracement after reaching of AB=CD target. This bounce looks absolutely reasonable, but since CD leg was, in fact just single huge candle, in normal circumstances market should continue move to 1.618 around 1240. That is also 1.618 target of Butterfly. But fear now has a domination and this common-sense action could be ignored.
That's why I can't call for taking any position on gold by far. Besides, most interesting stuff will start at turmoil. Major purchases of gold will start later I suppose.
gold_4h_03_10_13.png

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Fri 04, October, 2013

Good morning,
as you can see, action is not very impressive on gold market. Yesterday market has formed inside trading session. As we've said, intraday picture looks a bit contradictive, so, it will be better to wait something "more valuable".
And by taking a look at daily time frame, this is "more valuable" could be a bearish stop grabber. If it will appear, it could start 30$ donward action, at minimum.
gold_d_04_10_13.png

On 4-hour chart, we see how market is coiling right below K-resistance area. Here we have setup for possible Butterfly "Sell", but I wouldn't bet on it. At my taste it's not worthy of it, since we could get better setup on Monday. Make your choice, but in current situation, it is a bit dangerous to deal with some minor patterns. Risk is solid, but advantages are suspicious.
gold_4h_04_10_13.png

Be aware of volatility growth right around usual NFP release time. Probably today we will not get numbers....

Last edited:
Thanks for your analysis Sive,

Still long from monday week H4 doji close:rolleyes:(about 200pips in the black @ time of writing)

U.S. Government shutdown and or credit down grade will be nice for my trade,It's not the 1st time from the most dysfunctional government holding market's at ransom:D

Like I said monday week could it be bullish hidden divergence on D1 forming? well today's D1 close we will find out I suspect,If this plays out it should open up the door to $1433.60 @ least, in my view:)

W1 closed just under my W1 resistance:mad: but not all lost there's still this week:)

Last edited:
General Sive pls can you please tell me if this is a valid butterfly buy on weekly silver. thanks
pls can you also recommend a parameter for stochastics to best spot divergence in market.

Attachments

• silverweekly.png
    silverweekly.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
General Sive pls can you please tell me if this is a valid butterfly buy on weekly silver. thanks
pls can you also recommend a parameter for stochastics to best spot divergence in market.

Hi Seedof,
the shape is correct, although I do not know yours overall context. Stochastic is not quite suitable for divergences, better you MACD, since it is not normalized.

Back