Saxo Bank Review

Formerly SaxoBank.com

Updated: Oct 1, 2020 · Home.Saxo  · Is this your company?

Saxo is a forex broker. SaxoBank offers the SaxotraderGO and SaxoTraderPRO forex trading platform., Home.Saxo offers over 165 forex currency pairs, stocks, cfds, commodities, futures, bonds, gold, silver and oil for your personal investment and trading options.

Saxo Bank

Other websites of this company include ForexTrading.com, Markets.saxo and SaxoMT4.com.

Minimum to Open Live: $10,000
Established: 1992
Address: Philip Heymans Alle 15, Hellerup, 2900, Denmark
Contact: +48 222 755 570
Regulators: ASIC #126 373 859, CNB #28949587, DFSA #1149, Bank of France #483632501 R.C.S. Paris, SFC #1395901, CONSOB #296, FSA #239, DNB #34357130, MAS #200601141M, FINMA #CHE-106.787.764, Central Bank #2017/995/13, FCA #551422
Trading platforms: SaxoTraderGo, SaxoTraderPRO
CFD: (19000+) Gold, Silver, Stocks, Stock Indexes, Bonds, Oil, Other Commodities
Deposit Methods: Bank Wire, VISA, MasterCard, Securities transfer
Withdrawal Methods: Bank Wire, Transfer to Existing Broker

Join live discussion of Home.Saxo on our forum

Joseph,
Feb 28, 2010,

I've been FX-trading with Saxo for five years now and never, i repeat, never experienced any kind of problems with them. For the US they offer only FX because of regulations but they are pretty competitive with other US brokers. Their trading platform is superior to MT4 and to the prop platforms of the other brokers. (Compared to FXCM, Oanda, FXDD, Ikon-royal, Fx-sol and DB) So, first one should look at her/himself to find the mistake with her/his own strategy, trade idea etc, and not to blame on the trading platform or on the account manager.

naji,
cyprus ,
Apr 15, 2010,

Saxo Bank's license is under threat following a Portuguese client's lawsuit http://forexmagnates.com/saxo-banks-license-is-under-threat-following-a-portuguese-clients-lawsuit/

AV.Bessler,
Moscow ,
Nov 21, 2010,

They are a very dangerous tool, I have used for example DBFX it asked me double and triple time, if I really want to do a certain action, with Saxo, I mistakefully just wanted to find a reate and boom, trading started, nobody could take me out of it, lost 1000USD in 10 minutes, looking sadly on the screen, and having their control room not really cooperative, I've complaied, got nothing.

Amaury,
Colombia,
Dec 15, 2010,

For 4 years I was a customer of them and i had a good performance;
any day they sent an email saying my account was closed, they
closed all my positions causing loss big for me and not
I gave reasons for closing the account.

maneta,
uk,
Jan 27, 2011,

I used Saxo for almost a year. right, the stop loss price never hit and would lost money, plus three times it started up it's own buy a commodity automatically at unearthly hours of 5am!!!! and another time when there was no one home to place the 'buy'! When i complained they said someone had done it from our computer and they could do nothing about it! We lost about 3000 us like that! Very risky/dangerous.

Afamiii,
Lagos,
Jan 31, 2011,

I have used Saxobank for about 3 years. Mainly CFDs, stocks and some commodities. Overall their service has been good, but not without hiccups. That said I have 3 other brokers and they all have their own unique issues.

Price alerts set in Saxobank do not alert during fast trade. This is a problem if you trade multiple positions and don't want to put in hard stops. Some times they pop up a couple of hours later.

The system freezes for up to 30 seconds during fast trade, then gives a message not executed because the price has moved too far. This can be infuriating if you are trying to get out of a losing position or take profits close to a high. This can then be repeated for up to four times. The solution is to put in a limit order some points below the bid (if it is a sell order.)

Another issue related to the last one is that sometimes, your market order will be filled quite far from the price when you put it in (they say it is due to congestion on my broadband and that the signal was received late.) Again the solution is to put use limit orders.

Olaf,
Amsterdam, Netherlands,
Nov 18, 2011,

I am using Saxo for only 3 months now, mainly for CFD's. And this is my first trading experience so I have not much to compare.

That said, I have to say my Saxo experience is bad. I have big problems with their client software SaxoTrader 2. There are numerous bugs in it, I already found a few dozens, most of which can be worked around. Apart from that, the software is very clunky and user unfriendly. For example, changing the price of a limit order needs too much interaction. For a good order timing this software is very very poor.

The most important issue however is the fact that the graphs have big big big problems to refresh themselves and it is worsening. This week they show me more hourglass then trends. As an IT expert of course I ruled out any possible local cause. Especially the most popular instruments have the biggest problems. Also more volatility leads to more problems. Clearly an overload problem on the server.

So when it really matters, the software and the platform let you down.

The only answer was: "I called Copenhagen and everything should be allright. Perhaps you should put more memory in your computer...". Really astonishing.

Some people in this thread have had problems with executing transactions. I haven't until now. And I have to say: they are very cheap indeed. But the problems with their software and platform already cost me significant money. In Holland we say: "cheap = expensive". So this is really the case with Saxo.

So I have to look for something better. Which is why I am desperately seeking for good reviews! I haven't found much until now.
Johnny Honda,
Zurich, Switzerland,
Dec 17, 2011,

I use this broker since ca. 2 years to invest in stocks. For this purpose Saxo is OK.

But I tried to trade CFDs, futures and forex with Saxo. And here Saxobank shows its real face: Total scam.

If you set a stop loss, it will be triggered, doesn't matter how far away the price is. The second time it happened I made a screenshot that proves that the price NEVER reached that level and complained. The support just said: Our indicated prices are not binding and just a rough indication where the price could be....Great broker, isn't it?

They royally suck!

staxx123,
, Cyprus,
Jan 15, 2012,

i hedged my account only to find out the next working day that they closed my two possitions. They said that i ought to know their business terms which in this case they were as follows: when you open two opposite possitios saxo sytem will close them unless you associate one of the two possitions with another order like take profit or stop loss. Is that the meaning / translation of hedging? that is you open two opposite possitions but in order to be called hedging you have to do another click and associate on of the two orders with another order. Your conclusions!!!!!

Adam,
Warsaw, Poland,
Apr 17, 2012,

@staxx123
You can find it in your papers from Saxo. Saxo Bank is MM and they are doing a lot of bad tricks, but this one is nothing strange. If you don't have any plans (pending orders like SL or TP) it's better for you to open the same positions next day (you hadge the loss of floating and you have to pay swaps). And You can find it in TERMS OF USE.
trading-volume,
, Denmark,
Jun 8, 2012,

I have been client with them since 2006.Only lost money with them ,but thats not the point .I want to tell another story just had lately :In my account was still left balance of $68 .I emailed them that I want to withdraw my funds ,then I had to download terminal again after longer period of time(no trading 1 year ),and they also asked for some indentity proof documents ,because after longer period of no activity of my account i had to prove that me is me !after few days i got an answer with my login and password .I downloaded terminal again and logged in ....Imagine my balance was at =0 .00$ !! They even stole my $68 .First they show me that I still have left $68 and I knew it myself ,after they reset it to 0$...They not worth any more minute of mine .

I.a.a,
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia,
Mar 14, 2013,

SAXO BANK AS IT IS FROM OLD DAYS RUNING FOR YOUR MONEY AND HOPE THAT YOU WILL LOSS ONLY THATS WHY I NEVER OPENED ACCOUNT WITH THEM .befor couple of days i had a zulu account and i linked there division metatrader saxomt4 .it was good for two days after that they disabled trading on there platform for my account .they are so cheap be carefull of them dont ever try to open an account with them take my advice

JT,
, Singapore,
Mar 28, 2013,

Saxotrader2 platform is out of the most unstable in terms of FX data feed. Almost 100% problem after each software update or every other fortnight. If you are an intraday FX scalper, forget it. Its the FX market, no one can wait for minutes for a chart to be called up and problem is normally worse during the NY hours!!! Support is unhelpful and arrogant

Alessandro,
Firenze, Italy,
Apr 9, 2013,

I'm experiencing a live account with SAXO. I was catched by a very good offer for new customers: deposit $2000 and get a Mini Ipad for free. Well, infact you need to do a more than reasonable amount of trades every month for almost six months, but it's fair enough.
They were really professional and sent me the Ipad the same day I deposited. I also tried to withdraw part of my money: it took only one business day, WOW. That's becouse it's a bank I guess.
Problems arrived one day, when the connection to the platform was very instable. I could not access it for more than an hour and I lost money. I asked for refund and after they checked the log, they admit I was unfairly damaged and refund the part of my loss due to the bad connection.
I think this broker has a solid organization behind, they proved to be very smart, honest and efficient. The platform is also good, apparently the black out was a very rare event and I hadn't any other problem.
I reccomend it: try this broker with confidence.

Dennis,
Alkmaar, Netherlands,
Apr 21, 2013,

Total scam!!
Stop losses are always hit, often at "spike" that didn`t occur in real time.
They also tamper with your margin, two times I got a margin stop out at night (forex) while the spotlevel did not reach the values at the time of the stop out.
Helpdeskservice is very unfriendly and arrogant.
Avoid the Saxobank, flushing your money through the toilet is easier and more fun.

jonas hammar,
Dublin, Ireland,
Dec 14, 2013,

I have been with SAXO since August 2013. I invest mainly in stocks.
8 times of 10 when I buy a stock I got them lower than my buy order = I saved money. So this means that they ARE honest!

My experience with their support is very good. My account manager always get back within hour and give good advice/ explanation etc.

Just started to learn Forex trading in their system, can't say if they are cheating or not but since they have a 8PIP spread I dont see why they would cheat as they make tons of money on this high spread.

Conclusion for me is that they are very good and I trust them.
Maby little expensive on the spread but thats it. You get what you pay for. Many "low spread" have many hidden costs, I prefer a trader who is transparent with costs as Saxo Bank.
I have mixed result on the forex BUT thats only because of me doing wrong choices.

aj,
Canada, Canada,
Feb 1, 2014,

Customer service sox!
they dont even bother to reply.
sent first email and they said this is wrong department, contact the other " EMAIL " , sent 2 email to "OTHER EMAIL" and oh yea ! SURPRISE SURPRISE ! NO ONE BOTHERED TO ANSWER MY SIMPLE QUESTION !

Thomas,
Spain, Spain,
Feb 20, 2014,

Saxotrader could be a cool platform - it is were not for those obnoxious DISCONNECTIONS.
You can easly get disconnected up to 10 x per hour - which is what happens to me - in a trading hour. Even though I have 9MB download and 2MB upload line.
I tend my internet speed when I get disconnection, and my speed is mega fast, yet the Saxotrader plaform disconnects - again.
There support email plenty of "tricks" or options such as changing connection from AUTO to TCP or HTTPS but all of this is a complete waste of time.

I would like to hear from other users who suffer the same issue - very frequent disconnections, very slow popups when cancelling orders (half of the time empty with no text), very slow order delivery to their servers.

If it were not for those major acceptable issues, I would recommend them 100%. Very transparent and honest in my opinion, but Saxotrader platform too slow and buggy.

I would recommend they produced a "fast", "lightweight" platform without all the gimmicks that sends orders FAST to the server and they should increase server speed on their side.

Pity, could be perfect, but disconnection makes it a nightmare.

Yuri,
Haifa, Israel,
May 4, 2015,

Won't go into the quality of the broker because I only had a small account with them, but at least they're legit! I've put in a wire withdrawal request and had the money in my bank account within a week more than can be said for a lot of so called FX brokers out there.

SaxoBank Story,
, Hungary,
May 31, 2015,

My Saxo Bank story: ~ 90.000$ loss after a blink

The link for my story on Youtube:

Krisztian,
Tatabanya, Hungary,
Jan 26, 2016,

I hope somebody will close this Bucket Shop. Always hunting the Stop Loss levels. Always disconnect the platform or freeze. They have cancelled profit from the account. How can they still alive? Never open real account with them.

Z. N.,
Wellington, New Zealand,
Feb 22, 2016,

Pros:
Does offer the biggest Range of CFD instruments.

Cons:
Positions do not show margin used, only units.
Charts and Combined charts cannot be saved into Favorites.
Cannot auto-login and skip-updates.
Upon trying to sell some CFD's an error message popsup "short selling is disabled for this instrument"... So annoying, no way to hide disabled instruments.
No support forum or email address.
Elise,
Australia, Australia,
Aug 15, 2016,

Some of the worst facilities I've come across - $200 margin call at 10pm at night, transfer $1000 and send remittance and they close every single position within half an hour. Apparently funds have to be in there immediately, however they don't provide you with any facilities to allow you to do that. Much better platforms out there

Port Vila, Vanuatu,
Oct 25, 2016,

GBP Flash Crash - I feel Rape

During the GBP flash crash Saxo sold me out at a lower price than the lowest price of that day according to Bloomberg, and Saxo keep using lowest price of Bloomberg as the lowest of the last 52 weeks in all their external communication, I feel rape.
CrackHouse32,
Poland,
Mar 10, 2017,

I do recommend this broker, it is reliable broker with vast range of instruments. I had account with them and I can recommend it.
Support is absolutely amazing !!!

Slovakia,
Jan 31, 2018,

Saxobank dead company without support team. In Saxobank Doesn't exist support team, they doesn't answer on me emails.

Jack,
NL, Netherlands,
Feb 13, 2018,

Simply not a competitive option

Perhaps ok depending upon what you're comparing to, but if you're familiar with other U.S./U.K. trading platforms, Saxo is a non-starter - simply no comparison. They charge for every conceivable thing. Not only are trading fees higher, but their custodial fees are gouging, and they charge for things that other platforms do not. Even their belief of how "real time trading" works, is the exact opposite of well established norms elsewhere. During my time with them in 2017 I felt I was bled dry month after month.

I've sent multiple emails, and had many calls with their offices to get them to understand how different they are, but I think they're comparing themselves to shit little European/Nordic competitors, not the big boys. My belief is that they don't actually want the business of most of the people on this blog, and seem to be more focused on small niche market traders in-region.
Mar 26, 2018,

Illegal, Unjust and Unfair Practices by SAXO Bank

Delibrately logs you out during important events / news. Closes and groups your position with other positions to put your positions to greater negative losses. Complaints are returned by low level staffs that ridicule you and make gives you replies that makes you go in circles and solves nothing but put you back in the same ill-treated and unresolved manner!

Mar 26, 2018 - 1 Star We are a group of SAXO Bank Singapore customers who have lost a total of $5,000,000 SGD from illegal, unjust and unfair practices by SAXO Bank. If you had experienced such practices on your account with SAXO Bank, please contact me immediately. We are taking a class action suit against SAXO Bank and your input will greatly benefit in helping youself and each and everyone of us in getting back monies which have been illegally, unjustly and unfair stolen away from us.
Jon,
Singapore,
Nov 9, 2018,

very bad broker with multiple hidden costs and un-honoring prices shown on their platform. when you close your positions, they will not close them at the price shown on their platform, they will instead close it out at a much worse price making you lose more money than you should. downright scam broker. please save yourself lots of frustration and avoid this broker at all cost.
Netherlands,
Dec 12, 2018,

Stocks a lot, forex untrustable like cyprus brokers, Market maker against costumer

As stocks they have a big range of stocks. that is very good. But have to be rich to use them. High fees but I think it is still doable, takes only longer time to go in profit. On Forex part I think and I almost know or experience every time I enter a trade they are market maker. They say they are both ecn and Market maker. A-book broker they say. But the prices fluctuates when entering and go against the costumer inmediately after taking position.
they do everything to make you lose or trade against you. Same as cyprus brokers.. no difference. They trade against the costumer and rather have them lose and leave Saxo then trying to keep costumers. enough donkeys on this planet to steal their dumb money. Meaning, they see the costumer as a temporary low life who has to become poor as fast as possible before they leave again and wake up. Their Conflict of interest is with the bank because they are a bank as well. Looks very fancy but lots of disconnections, what is the reason for this ? Maybe for manipulation ? should not be an issue anymore in 2018 of disconnections in these modern times and always put you in bad prices when entering. you need a very big margin money to overcome their market making tactics.. For stocks can be an option for forex, better go on and look for better broker and conditions.
Singapore,
May 15, 2019,

yea. they are one of the worst here in sg next to city index. i got a case against them already for cheating the customers. they are legally committing a crime while under the protection of multiple licences.

Tom,
Göteborg, Sweden,
May 26, 2019,

Customer service does not exist

It is a joke! Customer supper simply does not exist. Forget them. They have a great affiliate marketing to convince people to join but that is all.
Nov 29, 2019,

bombarded by calls every day

started the online application process but midway through i checked this site for their reviews and seen how bad they are. I stopped the process but my details were saved on their system. They have tried to call me 3 times every day for the last 2 weeks and no signs of them stopping. Why do they need to do this and it is a major red flag. avoid

Bucharest, Romania,
Dec 10, 2019,

Customer Support does not exist - Withdrawal not possible.

Suddenly, out of the blue, Saxo send me an email to upload again all compliance documents and they blocked the account for trading without any reason (according the email they requested compliance documents earlier, but this was not the case, I triple checked all my emails and nothing was send to me).

I immediately uploaded my docs same day, and send them emails and messages on the platform to solve the issue, but 3 weeks passed NOTHING HAPPENED!!

Today I decided to withdraw my money but seems they removed the withdrawal option in my account! So I can not take out my money!

Contacting them via telephone is not possible. Nobody is replying emails and messages in the platform itself.

This broker is a TOTAL NIGHTMARE!
london, United Kingdom,
Jan 22, 2020,

WARNING - Worst Broker for setting up new account with

Absolutely disgraceful service and incompetent London employees. They seriously need to learn how to communicate to new clients. Impossible to open a Corporate Ltd account, sent all required info and they don’t bother to even confirm receipt or if in the process, I’ve been calling them for 9 days since submitting and they pass you around to someone else who says they are not dealing with it. I would hate to think how stressful it would be if I had to call them to try resolve a trading issue. I went to IG and they transferred me to corporate team right away and after filling their forms they advised the account should be up in 72 hours. Stay clear of these cowboys is my recommendation. Saxo if you respond to this, rather you focus on providing better customer service rather than trying to fire fight after the event!
KL, Malaysia,
Apr 13, 2020,

User since 2018

After 2 years of being there as a trader and investor, I’m very satisfied with the platform. It’s intuitive, genuine and fast process of withdrawal. Look forward more improvement from Saxo!

Newcastle, United Kingdom,
Jun 23, 2020,

Warning Terrible Market makers, Unethical, SCAM

I wish I would read reviews before I join this Market Maker called Saxo

You can wait hours to speak to somebody from Saxo support if by chance you get connected either the person sits in India and has no access to anything or you get to connected to Copenhagen and the agent doesn't speak English properly with a terrible thick French accent so that you don't understand what they say.

Many times I have lost connection simply when it was to my favour!!!

Saxo is a market maker and trades against it's clients traders.
Saxo says no withdrawal fee, but actually withdrawal has a fee under the name of intermediary charges, funny enough that there is no other bank involved in the withdrawal transaction.

Stop loss chasing happens within mili seconds.
If you are on winning side you will see enormous spreads which keeps you winning in a minimum, remember you win they lose.

Avoid this trader, the warning says 72% lose trading with Saxo, I would say 100% traders will lose their capital trading with Saxo.

sydney, Australia,
Jul 16, 2020,

Worst trader I have ever used

Worst trader I have ever used. I have had two tickets open (one for more than 5 weeks) regarding dividends that were not credited to my account. I have chased them almost daily via ticket or via chat. The answer is always we will get back to you soon (and they never do).
I now want to transfer securities out due to their incompetence and lack of customer service and they want to charge me 200AUD to transfer shares out. It's the only broker I have ever dealt with that does that
Dionisis,
Greece, Greece,
Sep 29, 2020,

Worst broker Ever

I started trading with Saxo Bank in the beginning of 2018. They have the worst contact support than any other broker out there. Εxpensive commissions, not accurate trade transactions and more. If you have a big account they give you priority to your support. Big Lie! They only want to take your money. At the beginning they used to send me a Christmas Card, I had phone calls from my "personal banker". But after loosing 60% of my capital, they never continued the contact they had. Also when I had 100%+ to my margin (I was a Professional client so I had the option to go above 100%) I received a lot of notifications about adding more funds and if I don’t ,“maybe” my positions will be closed. When I asked when my positions will be closed (for example at 110% or 120% etc) I never got a specific and clear answer.

I do not recommend this broker. 100% of their clients lose money with them.

Finally I have moved my money to a different broker which have lower commissions and better support. Not the best but actually better than Saxo Bank.