FOREX PRO Weekly January 21-25, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
Currently monthly chart carries nothing new compares to previous week. Trend holds bullish and price has no barriers ahead – next resistance level is 1.3834 and monthly overbought. At the same time we have to pay attention to 1.3486 level. This level is significant by two reasons. It coincides with 50% resistance and second - this level is a kind of quality test for current upward move, since this is a high of most recent swing down. We know that when market forms swing up that is greater than previous swing down – this might be an indication of reversal. Particularly by that mean – 1.3486 is significant. That is what about current swing up...
Generally speaking upward move looks not as impressive as previous one in 2010. Currently we do not see any explosive thrusts, long candles – just gradual, calm and choppy move. It looks more like just a retracement rather reversal and new upside trend. You may appeal to MACD trend, since it’s bullish, however price has not formed higher high yet – usual feature of uptrend. Hence, we still in kind of limbo here.

eur_m_21_01_13.gif

Weekly

So, previous week had relatively tight range, but still there was a significant moment – market has touched 0.618 target of AB=CD pattern and MPR1. In fact, any pullback from here will be reasonable, until it will be small. Theoretically, as we’ve said above, next resistance area is 1.3486, but it will catch AB=CD development between 0.618 and 1.0 targets. I do not know, how market will deal with it. Ultimately, we have strong resistance around major 5/8 Fib level that as we can see now – is weekly Agreement and overbought as well. All these moments are correct, but we’ve discussed already some suspicions in weekly analysis, and here I do not like couple of moments. First is – slow CD leg that is a bit curious, especially when BC leg is just 0.382 retracement.
eur_w_21_01_13.gif

Second – take a look at weekly GBP chart – very bearish price action. Trend has turned bearish, W&R and breakout of support line. Reasonable argument that GBP and EUR are not the same, still such divergence with congener currency should not be unconsidered.
gbp_w_21_01_13.gif

Current growth on EUR looks a bit artificial, because fundamentally I do not see many outclass points in favor of EU, statistics is poor, no turning solutions on crisis. Is the only thing that could fed it – fiscall cliff? That’s very precarious foundation... I don’t want to say that this growth will not continue, but not all so clear as I want it to see.
Daily
In the beginning of daily view, I would like to take a look at contracted daily chart. It carries nothing new – just lets us a bit clearer understand big picture. We see that upward channel has dominated and market has broken long-term bear trend. We have significant tradable low in blue circle, since it holds upward channel. Still, now market has reached long-term natural resistance line. To get the confidence with bullish intentions we need some confirmation – upward breakout above 1.3480-1.35 area. In this case weekly AB=CD will hold and next level is 1.3833.
eur_d_21_01_13.gif

Shorter chart shows that market is coiling under solid resistance, recent AB=CD has not been completed – our Friday’s suspicions have panned out. Now price action reminds pennant. On coming week we could get great assistance from pivots. Take a look – market will open right around WPP and upper and lower borders coincide with WPR1 and WPS1 correspondingly. Unfortunately I can’t extract more from daily time frame.
eur_d1_21_01_13.gif

4-hour
4-hour chart seems significant for bulls. Here we have Butterfly “Sell” in progress that simulteniously could accomplish daily AB=CD pattern. 1.3256 is crucial low for upward scenario – this is Butterfly invalidation point, WPS1 and support of previous consolidation. If market will fail here, it at once will break daily pennant. This will be not welcome price action for bulls.
eur_4h_21_01_13.gif

1-hour
Hourly chart tells us how to combine two contradictive patterns right at the start of the week. Recall that on Friday we’ve discussed the possibility of Double Top pattern here. However, this pattern will be confirmed only if market will show true break through 1.3256 low – other words will cancel Butterfly “Sell”. Market now stands at deep 76.8% Fib support that is typical for Butterfly. Lasc candle here has formed bearish stop grabber, that suggest possible move below previous low around 76.8% support, but it doesn’t mean that market will not be able to safe Butterfly. Hence, first point that we have to do – control trend on hourly chart. If it will turn bullish and erase stop grabber, if you’re bullish you can try to enter Long with stops below 1.3256. If stop grabber will work – we need to control two things – market should not take out 1.3256 and turn trend bullish after it will form some new low compares to 1.3280. Then also, if trend will turn bullish we can try to enter long as well.
Speaking shortly, we can count on bullish continuation until 1.3256 is alive and when hourly trend will turn bullish. If any of these events will fail – do not enter Long.
If market will move below 1.3256 – that probably could lead to deeper move down. According to Double Top pattern price could reach 1.3120 area. Here is major risk – is to not be trapped by possible W&R of 1.3256 – we need true breakout. In this case we can start to think about short entry. May be this sounds a bit complicated but what we could expect, market is not very simple substance...

eur_1h_21_01_13.gif

Conclusion:
In a big picture bias holds bullish, but price action does not show the real power. To get more confidence with bullish intentions I prefer to see some acceleration above 1.35 area, since behavior on congener GBP pair worries me a bit.
On Monday our task is to understand will it be still upward splash by Butterfly pattern or market will turn to deeper retracement. For that purpose we need control two major things on hourly chart – trend and 1.3256 low.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update, Tue 22, January 2013

Good morning,
although on daily time frame that was a tight range and inside session, on intraday charts it cares a lot of important things.
On daily we see that price stands very close to MACDP, so if tomorrow we will get stop grabber, for instance - that will give us significant confirmation of reaching 1.3440 area.
eur_d_22_01_13.gif

On 4-hour chart we see that butterfly is still forming. Recent sideway consolidation was absolutely curious for bearish development, especially if we suggest Double Top pattern. Besides, here it looks like bullish dynamic pressure. What is more significant - it's a upward breakout from a range of the hammer. Take a look - for a long time price stands inside of its range. Market was a kind of indecision, but now we see upward breakout. All these stuff looks bullish. Hence, the negative sign for bullish - is return right back inside of this coil, or even downward breakout of it.
eur_4h_22_01_13.gif

The same we can see on hourly chart - our previous Diamond pattern now become a support and has led to appearing of another one consolidation right above it (marked with red circles). So, market has tested this significant support and bounce up. Was it just respect of support or upward continuation - we will see, but now we have bullish trend as on daily as on hourly and no overbought. So, if you want to enter long - you probably should watch on two nearest levels 1.3335 and 1.3322-1.3328 K-support.
If market will return right back inside of previous coil or even break it down - then it could lead still to breakout of 1.3256. If you're bearish - then probably you should wait for one of these events - return below 1.33 or even destruction of butterfly by 1.3256 breakout.

eur_1h_22_01_13.gif

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Wed 23, January 2013

Good morning,
well, yesterday we've got volatility but absolutely not a clarifying what to expect. Market has formed high wave pattern on daily that just confirms this thought.
Since price is still coiling inside of pennant on daily, now I have just two thoughts.

From bullish prespective - we have stop grabber on daily and pennant is potentially bullish pattern, but if we take a look at how this stop grabber has been formed, then it will be not as cloudless as it desired. Anyway if you have a bullish view and search possibility to enter long - you may try it and stick to this pattern. Risk by now will be around 50-60 pips. Besides failure point of stop grabber stands just 10 pips higher than butterfly's one.

Second is - pennant itself. Action inside of it is rather disturbing. Yesterday we've said that it will be worring sign if market will return right back in consolidation on hourly chart - and particularly this has happened. Market looks a bit heavy inside of pattern. Besides, on 4-hour chart there two bearish stop grabber could appear side by side. Still, if you're bearish, it's better to wait of 1.3256 breakout. In this case daily trend will turn bearish and market will erase all bullish patterns that we still have currently.
By now I do not see any reason to active trading.

Attachments

• eur_d_23_01_13.gif
    eur_d_23_01_13.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 110
  • eur_4h_23_01_13.gif
    eur_4h_23_01_13.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 108
  • eur_4h1_23_01_13.gif
    eur_4h1_23_01_13.gif
    25 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Thu 24, January 2013

Good morning,
so, as you see - here we can't make a lot of comments right now. Market has formed another high wave pattern, trend has turned bearish, previous stop grabber has been cancelled. But actually - this cares nothing important, since market still holds inside of the range and will follow to direction of true breakout.

In fact, if we recall that market has hit weekly 0.618 at 1.3350-1.3380 and that this is MPR1 as well - there is nothing curious in tight retracement in a shape of triangle or pennant after that. This is absolutely normal price action. That's why I think that chances on upward continuation are slightly greater than on downward breakout.

On 4-hour chart we can see nothing new, choppy price action has become even more nervousness.

Hourly chart shows one significant thing - we now have a contracting of trading range. Usually as tighter the range as stronger further action after breakout. Or, yes, there is also a bullish divergence, but it hardly could be treated here as significant sign.

That's being said - probably it's better to stay flat, but if you still will decide to take position on any breakout - try to enter as closer to opposite borders of consolidation as possible, use spikes. That will alllow you to hold risk low.

Attachments

• eur_d_24_01_13.gif
    eur_d_24_01_13.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 79
  • eur_4h_24_01_13.gif
    eur_4h_24_01_13.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 76
  • eur_1h_24_01_13.gif
    eur_1h_24_01_13.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Fri 25, January 2013

Good morning,
finally some more active price action yesterday. On daily time frame trend has returned to bullish side. I do not know whether we could treat 2-days price action and stop grabber, probably we could, but anyway this is bullish behavior. Nearest target is 1.3430.

4-hour trend is bullish as well. Depending on how we draw upper border of triangle - current price action could be either re-testing of broken line or just approaching to upper border. Anyway current area is very significant.

On hourly chart we see that market has broken tight consolidation right at previous top that has not allowed market to proceed higher. Market was forced to struggle it, but now we see upward breakout of it, as well as tigher rectangle and retesting from the other side.
BTW, if you count the height of this rectangle to the upside - you'll get the same level as daily AB=CD - 1.3440 area.
Since all current price action is turning around rectangles and breakouts - bullish unwelcome sign will be, if market will return right back inside of it.

30-min chart shows AB-CD retracement as re-testing of broken line. That line stands very close to K-support area around 1.3343 level. So, for bulls it will be prefferable, if market will hold above it. If this level will be broken, then upward continuation will fall under question again.

For bears is better to wait one of two possible things - either reaching of 1.3430 area or failure breakout of current consolidation. In this case price could follow to opposite border - at minimum to 1.3260-1.3280 area.

Attachments

• eur_d_25_01_13.gif
    eur_d_25_01_13.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 81
  • eur_4h_25_01_13.gif
    eur_4h_25_01_13.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 76
  • eur_1h_25_01_13.gif
    eur_1h_25_01_13.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 79
  • eur_30m_25_01_13.gif
    eur_30m_25_01_13.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
thanks, once again! Is gbp/usd so correlated with eur/usd? becaus the last week gbp was very bearish and eur was mixed...

Sive, just for curiosity, do you trade only eur/usd or something else also? and in that case do you use this kind of approach for all the pairs/equities/commodities you trade?

thank you! have fun!

thanks, once again! Is gbp/usd so correlated with eur/usd? becaus the last week gbp was very bearish and eur was mixed...

Sive, just for curiosity, do you trade only eur/usd or something else also? and in that case do you use this kind of approach for all the pairs/equities/commodities you trade?

thank you! have fun!

There is no as correlation with GBP, as with CHF for instance, but some relation exists. Very often in short term they move in the same direction. Major idea is - if EUR is growing due fiscal cliff, the same cliff should be counted in GBP/USD pair, right? But here we have quite opposite direction. Very rare EUR/GBP shows significant move without any solid reason...
Yes, the same approach - it works on any market. There is only single condition - market has to be liquid.

Hello Sive,

Pipruit Marky$ reports on the position.
At the begining big thanks for your valuable analysis. I hope you don't get bored with all this thanks below all your posts.
BTW, I think that FPA administration should establish the "Sive's Thanks Giving Day" on FPA. :)

But let's go to the matter.
If you don't mind I'd like to share my trading plan for Monday.
I'd be gratefull for any comments. Is it good or wrong? Did I miss something, made any mistakes, get any wrong assumptions?
I gonna open short position around 1.3325-30. Why? There is confluence of WPP, DPP, 0.382 retracement of last swing down A-B and B&B on H1
I gonna put SL@1.3360 just above 0.618 retracement of A-B. And TP@1.3265 because there is another confluence of DPS1, 0.382 retracement of last big up swing 1.3040-1.3400, neckline of double top and contracted target of CD leg.

IMHO I think that there probably will be breakuot of rectangle or flag below neckline of double top. At least fake one. There must be a lot of SL below and market makers know it and they won't waste the oportunity for fat W&R :)

What do you think about that?
tradingplan130121_.jpg
tradingplan130121.jpg

If you don't mind I'd like to share my trading plan for Monday.
I'd be gratefull for any comments. Is it good or wrong? Did I miss something, made any mistakes, get any wrong assumptions?
I gonna open short position around 1.3325-30. Why? There is confluence of WPP, DPP, 0.382 retracement of last swing down A-B and B&B on H1
I gonna put SL@1.3360 just above 0.618 retracement of A-B. And TP@1.3265 because there is another confluence of DPS1, 0.382 retracement of last big up swing 1.3040-1.3400, neckline of double top and contracted target of CD leg.

IMHO I think that there probably will be breakuot of rectangle or flag below neckline of double top. At least fake one. There must be a lot of SL below and market makers know it and they won't waste the oportunity for fat W&R :)

What do you think about that?
View attachment 8051
View attachment 8052

Hi Marky,
this is absolutely welcome, I mean your analysis, since this part of forum particular for that purpose. Even more - it's needed to post your analysis here.
Well, Since you want to exit before neckline, probably your are not a daily trader. Theoretically you can do this - you have bearish stop grabber, trend holds bearish o hourly time frame.
One thing - this is not B&B. In fact, one reason to enter short here is a trend+ stop grabber. If this context will fail - as we've noted in analysis of hourly chart, then it could turn to Butterfly forming.
Your stop looks like a bushes style - as DiNapoli calls it. Enter at one level and place stop behind another one.

Hey all,

I think we may have some bearish dynamic pressure here on the hourly?

Last night's price action wasn't really impressive. Market has touched WPP.

Maybe this bearish dynamic pressure on the hourly will lead to confirmation of double top on the hourly?

Here I believe we have AB-CD pattern on hourly. 61.8% expansion is @ 1.3260. If market hits this, it is significant because this leads to confirmation of double top on hourly and I believe this could lead to 1.3120 area.

bdp.pngabcd.png

Back