FOREX PRO WEEKLY March 03-07, 2014

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly

The dollar fell to a two-month low against the euro on Friday, posting its worst monthly performance since April after data showed steady euro zone inflation and a downward revision to fourth-quarter U.S. economic growth. The European Union's statistics office Eurostat estimated that consumer prices in the 18 countries sharing the euro rose 0.8 percent year on year this month, a sign of stability that cooled expectations the European Central Bank might ease monetary policy as early as next week. "Everyone's probably re-adjusting their expectations as to how aggressive the ECB will be with respect to its monetary accommodation," said Mark Frey, chief market strategist at Cambridge Mercantile Group in Victoria, British Columbia.
The U.S. Commerce Department, meanwhile, said on Friday gross domestic product expanded at a 2.4 percent annual rate in the fourth quarter, down sharply from the 3.2 percent pace of growth reported last month and the 4.1 percent expansion logged in the third quarter. The data stoked fears the Federal Reserve could pause cuts to its monthly bond-buying program, which analysts said would hurt the dollar since it would help keep interest rates low and drive capital flows into higher-yielding assets outside the United States. "If we saw further weakness in the data such as what we've seen today, the Fed could slow the pace of removing their monetary accommodation," Frey of Cambridge Mercantile said.
The dollar index, which tracks the U.S. currency's performance against a basket of major currencies, was last down 0.7 percent at 79.763. The index posted its worst monthly performance since September amid uncertainty surrounding the pace of the Fed's withdrawal of its asset purchases. Data from the Commodity Futures Trading Commission on Friday showed speculators reduced bets on the U.S. dollar in the latest week, with net longs falling to their lowest in nearly four months.
The yen was seen as investors' best choice for a safe haven on concerns over a weakening Chinese yuan and tensions in Ukraine.

Technical
Trend holds bullish on monthly time frame and price has played back all January decline. Recent price action confirms our suggestion that until market stands above 1.33 and coiling around current levels – nothing clear about possible direction. As upward breakout as downward reversal could happen. Fundamental data of previous week does not suggest drastical changing of long-term sentiment and does not clarify absolutely possible direction. Even analysts’ opinion are not unique on recent US data. Although it was worse than expected, but there was low-key negative reaction. This happens mostly because many investors suggest that poor data comes from tough winter and as spring is coming, situation should improve significantly. This could put some limitation on market activity at least till April.
As we’ve noted in our previous EUR research, YPP will play it’s role sooner or later, and that has happened. Take a look, that upward bounce has started precisely from 1.3475 level. Now the major question stands as follows – whether this upward action is a confirmation of long-term bullish sentiment or just a respect of YPP first touch.
If we will follow to market mechanics, we’ll see that currently market should not show any solid retracement down. Any move of this kind should be treated as market weakness and it will increase probability of reversal down. Take a look that as market has hit minor 0.618 AB-CD extension target right at rock hard resistance – Fib level and Agreement and former yearly PR1, it has shown reasonable bounce down to 1.33. As retracement after 0.618 target already has happened, it is unlogical and unreasonable to see another deep bounce and if it will happen - it will look suspicious. Right now market still stands on the edge here. From one point of view price has failed to break up in 2013, but from another one – it still stands very close to previous highs. Now we have additional detail here – market is forming flag consolidation right under significant resistance and February action was positive. In most cases this suggests attempt of upper breakout and EUR just accumulates energy for it. Second moment – if this was true revresal down from AB-CD 0.618 target market should not return right back up to it and particularly should not form any bullish consolidation right below it. Thus, coiling around resistance could mean that market is preparing for challenging it. Another sign is that price has held above YPP. This tells that sentiment is still bullish here and currently overall situation on monthly chart has more bullish spirit rather than bearish.

eur_m_03_03_14.png

Weekly
Weekly chart now shows greater odds in favor of upward continuation, depsite how extended it will be. We will focus on nearest butterfly target – 1.27 around 1.3960 area. Although situation remains tricky and here is enough different issues that make overall context difficult.
Here what we have – Butterfly “Sell” is forming right around major monthly resistance, price still can’t pass through it. Current AB-CD pattern has reached minor 0.618 target, but CD leg is much flatter than AB and this is the sign of weakness. Usually this leads to reversal at final AB=CD point. We’ve got bearish divergence here right at monthly resistance, but on passed week trend has turned bullish and bearish stop grabber that we’ve worried about has not appeared here. This adds points to bulls.
Speaking about bearish reversal criteria ideal peformance is to see butterfly completion and then – move below 1.33 lows. In this case we will get reversal swing on weekly chart that could become at least something that could confirm downward ambitions.
Speaking about bullish signs, we can point on some moments. Although we’ve got bearish patterns, say, engulfing, divergence, but market does not follow it as usual. Yes, price has shown minor retracement down, but this also could be due AB=CD 1.618 inner butterfly extension and monthly resistance. Here former MPR1 stand as well. Second – recall what we’ve said in Dec-Jan:
“To speak about upward continuation o big scale, we need to get fulfilling of two conditions as well – market should coil around previous tops without significant retracement...”
And this is what we have right now. Market has bounced up from YPP, moved above MPP. Now trend has turned bullish again, vanishing potential bearish grabber and we see tight consolidation that takes the shape of flag right below resistance area. In January price has held above MPS1 and this also could be an indication that long-term bullish trend is still valid. That’s being said, although we have some contradictive moments here, I would suggest that bullish signs have more value right now, mostly because they prevent further development of bearish patterns. They are not just opposite patterns that have been formed side-by-side. It looks like most recent bullish signs a kind of vanishing and preventing normal development of earlier bearish patterns. And now we also see upward breakout of flag consolidation. Actually price shows upward action at bearish MACD trend and this could be a bullish dynamic pressure that suggests at least reaching of previous highs.
Speaking about more extended action, if upward continuation will be long term – we need to see move above 1.3980 – butterfly 1.27 target first. In this case next target will be right around 1.43-1.44 – weekly AB-CD, Yearly PR1 and butterfly 1.618.
Also, guys, here you see new pivots for March 2014.
eur_w_03_03_14.png

Daily
As market has stand with retracement on previous week, it is very probable that the first half of coming week will be dedicated to upward continuation right to 1.3850 target and within second half market will show retracement, because right now we have untouched WPP and new MPP. Around 1.3850 area stands in fact multiple targets. The major one is large AB=CD 0.618 extension, while also we have minor most recent AB=CD pattern. Slightly higher we see new WPR1. Additional question for coming week is whether market will do attempt to challenge current highs around 1.3885. Overbought condition lets to do this. Besides, if you will draw an extension of initial AB=CD right from YPP (that we’ve traded recently), we will see that 1.618 extension stands precisely around recent highs. So, theoretically this is possible. Alternative scenario – market could try to form here butterfly “Sell” with BC leg of big AB=CD as initial swing of left shoulder. And try to reach weekly targets by this butterfly.
But anyway, current context is bullish and if market will show minor retracement down in the beginning of the week, we will try to use it for scalp bullish trade with target around 1.3850 area.
eur_d_03_03_14.png

4-hour
Here we have following technical issues. Trend is bullish here, as well as price action. We have AB-CD action in progress. As market already has shown compounding retracement down (we’ve tracked it on previous week) as respect of AB=CD target and is continuing upward action further – we should not get deep retracement here again, since there are no reasons for that right now, at least from technical point of view. Thus for trading we’re interested in most recent swing only. As market is not at overbought on daily, retracement probably should be shy. 1.3750 level looks very nice for this purpose – Fib support, natural support/resistance and WPP. So, preliminary trading plan is as follows – looking for this area for possible long entry with target at 1.3850.
eur_4h_03_03_14.png

1-hour
Hourly chart is not, may be, as important as others, but it points that downward action could be started by DRPO “Sell” may be. Target of DRPO (that is 50% of DRPO swing up) stands precisely at the same area as other levels on 4-hour chart...
eur_1h_03_03_14.png

Conclusion:
On long-term charts price still coiling around edge point and currently chances exist as for upward breakout as for downward reversal. To rely on direction whatever it will be, we need to get clear patterns that could confirm it and point extended targets for us. But we do not have them yet, although recent weeks show some action that could inspire bulls a bit.
In shorter-term, EUR shows not bad upward action that has nearest target around 1.3850. Major retracement we’ve got on previous week according to our analysis. On coming week we will mostly deal with minor retracements at least until price will hit 1.3850 target. Thus, currently 1.3750-1.3755 area looks suitable for this purpose.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update Tue 04, March 2014

Good morning,
market has reacted on conflict escalation in Ukraine by down gap opening on Monday. But this issue does not cancel our trading plan. As we've suggested in research - reasonable retracement down could be used for long entry with 1.3850 target. On daily chart situation has not changed significantly, since even with move down this was an inside trading session.
Today major object to monitor here is potential bullish stop grabber. If we will get it this could become very clear setup for trading on long side:

eur_d_04_03_14.png

On 4-hour chart we've hoped to see a bit smaller retracement, only to WPP, but market has reacted on Ukraine situation and has shown move right to 50% support that is typical for EUR. This is not a tragedy and acceptable.
eur_4h_04_03_14.png

As you can see on hourly chart - market just completed AB=CD pattern and has unfillied gap. During today's trading session we will monitor knocking in WPP. If market will move above it - that will be 50% points in favor of reaching 1.3850 on current week.
eur_1h_04_03_14.png

Thus we need to make just shy correction in our plan - wait for confirmation of stop grabber first, and take long position on retracement - second.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Wed 05, March 2014

Good morning,
As sutuation in Ukraine has got some relief - markets also calmed down a bit. Still, on daily time frame our trading plan is the same. Although we've not got bullish grabber on daily, as we've expected, situation has not changed drastically yet. The point is that market almost never leaves targets behind, especially minor targets. If even bearish sentiment is growing here, on EUR, market as a rule hits at least 0.618 target of any AB-CD action and only after that shows reversal. Thus, we count that this kind of action we will see here as well. Especially because we see some short-term bullish signs right now.

On daily chart we have as larger AB=CD as smaller AB-CD and possible 3-Drive "Sell" pattern. Take a look that most recent top is 1.27 of previous retracement, while 1.618 of first drive and 1.27 of second (current) drive stand in the same area around 0.618 target of AB=CD pattern. Interesting combination, right?
eur_d_05_03_14.png

On 4-hour chart we see that the last drive could take the shaper of butterfly "sell" pattern. As daily 3-Drive as butterfly are reversal patterns and suggest the same thing - retracement (or even reversal) from daily 0.618 AB=CD target. Also here we have something that reminds bullish dynamic pressure - trend has turned bearish, but price action is forming higher lows and keep chances for butterfly pattern:
eur_4h_05_03_14.png

That's being said - two patterns to watch today. I absolutely do not object against possible scalp long position, based on butterfly - that's the first pattern. Second - we probably will try to find possibility for scalp short position on daily as soon as 0.618 target will be hit and both patterns will be completed. If market will move below 1.3640 lows prior reaching 1.3850 - that could be an early bell that move up is over. Geopolitical issues still stand as dominate factor right now. Thus, technicals could be significantly depressed by them. But let's keep watchnig... At least technicals have helped us to foresee upward splash on gold on Monday...

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Thu 06, March 2014

Good morning,
On daily time frame we haven't got any drastical changes, thus, our former analysis is still valid and assumes leg to 1.3850 area. Current action does not look like reversal and mostly reminds indecision/retracement action. In fact, whole week's action stands inside Friday's upward rally. There are 2 major events will happen tilll the end of the week. Today's ECB meeting and now we see real uncertainty whether it will decrease rate or not, since recent data shows increasing of inflation. As a result we could get greater volatility than usual today.
Second - Friday's NFP release. ADP data has shown fewer jobs have been created and it has 95% correlation with NFP. Thus this probably will be second breaking event for the market.
eur_d_06_03_14.png

Meantime, technical picture looks bullish. On 4-hour chart we haven't got butterfly yesterday, but market has not moved below our invalidation point and shown small W&R of lows on 4-hour chart. Also here we have something that looks like dynamic pressure - trend holds bearish, but market stands flat. Price is forming falling wedge pattern here as well:
eur_4h_06_03_14.png

On hourly chart we just see that W&R was due butterfly "Buy" pattern inside the wedge. So, as you can see, it is difficult to call overall picture bearish, but further progress of situation will be determined by ECB decision. Technical picture currently suggests that ECB will not decrease rate, but we will see...
eur_1h_06_03_14.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Fri 07, March 2014

Good morning,
so, guys, EUR has hit the target of current week. If you do not intend to trade NFP release, then, probably you can take some rest and spend time with friends your dear ones. Today is Friday!
If you still would like to try it... Today I've read in Reuters Forex update that market expects 149-150 K on NFP. Any result around it will be treated as moderate positive surprise. Numbers around 120K probably will not lead to any meaningful reaction and data below 100K will lead to negative reaction. That is what Reuters pull tells. As you know, I do not trade data releases, but, may be for somebody this will be useful info.
On daily chart we stand at target and should not take long position right now. Still situation a bit tricky. We've got 3-Drive "sell" pattern that theoretically suggests taking out the lows between 2nd and 3d drives - where K-support stands. This level is also OK as retracement after big AB=CD 0.618 target achievement.
But take a look that most recent action was rather fast. This could lead to 3-Drive failure or, at lest to shyer retracement down. Be careful if you intend to trade this pattern:
eur_d_07_03_14.png

On 4-hour chart we have slightly uncompleted AB=CD pattern, that has target 20 pips higher WPR1. Price probably will reach it during fluctuation while investors will wait for NFP release:
eur_4h_07_03_14.png

On 15-min chart we have potential Butterfly "Sell" that has 1.618 target right at 4-hour AB=CD. So, if you intend to trade market short - place stops somewher above 1.3890 area:
eur_15m_07_03_14.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much Dear Sive sir...
Wish you a relaxing weekend and a huge profitable week ahead..

Wish you all my dear frenz a great week ahead...
Green pips all...

Hi Lolly,
I want to "THANK YOU" for your lovely Butterflies.
Also, I want to commend you on the progress you made following Sive's lessons.
I am a silent follower of Sive's posts for few years. I use his lessons mainly from contextual prospective and not as trading signals. But I have been observing your progress with recognizing harmonics, and I should say that lately I am also reading your every post (with all those perfect butterflies)...
You should be extremely proud of what you achieved in trading. Sive, I believe, should also be proud of your results - every mentor wishes to have a student like you!
With "white" envy, I am getting an idea to put some efforts and build my "Butterfly" net... However, I just cannot see them :(

Would you be so kind to share your way of finding those butterfly? I know you said you just see them. But maybe you can take one example and work through your thoughts process? If you can, it would be fantastic! If not, I respect it too. Just keep posting them, as they fly in, PLEASE!

stranik

Thank you Stranik, i am not doing anything except watching sive sir's vdo and reading text again and again and over again..
I am a huge fan of sive sir,today i am making all this butterflies only by his kind help....
and answer of this qstn """Would you be so kind to share your way of finding those butterfly?""
is dat----i just keep in my the M and W shape on the chart.then i start calculate.. :)

Back