GOLD PRO Weekly August 11-15, 2014

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals
Gold fell on Friday, pressured by a lack of physical buyers and gains on Wall Street, but a U.S. air strike in Iraq and tensions in Middle East supported prices, which stayed above $1,300 an ounce. Gold was up around 1 percent for the week, its first weekly increase in four weeks. In early trade, gold rallied to a three-week high on news U.S. aircraft bombed Islamic fighters marching on Iraq's Kurdish capital of Arbil. safe-haven buying dried up after Russia's Defense Ministry said it had finished military exercises near its border with Ukraine. That news sent the S&P 500 equities index about 1 percent higher.
Earlier this year, gold rallied to just below $1,400 an ounce as tensions mounted between Russia and the West over Ukraine. Gold had unwound most of those gains in two weeks.
"It's difficult to get overly excited given gold's multiple failures to consistently rally on geo-political events, especially when the volumes behind this move have been rather light," said Edel Tully, precious metals strategist at UBS.
Bullion was pressured by data showing a strong second-quarter rebound in productivity at U.S. nonfarm businesses, reducing wage pressures and allowing the Federal Reserve to keep interest rates low.
Physical demand has not been strong enough to support prices after gold's 3 percent jump in the last three sessions. Gold premiums in top buyer China have been stuck at $2-$3 an ounce and demand is much weaker than last year, dealers said.
Natixis analyst Bernard Dahdah said gold prices would be much lower without geopolitical factors because Asian physical buying and U.S. investment demand were both lagging.

CFTC_Gold_05_08_14.gif
CFTC data currently very important and gives us necessary information. Thus on previous week Open Interest has dropped again significantly. Net long position also has decreased. It could mean that investors close longs more than short positions.
Monthly
Market has moved slightly higher on previous week, still price should pass solid distance to change situation drastically. it could change only if market will move above 1400 area. Reson for rally was suspicious – Russia has started military exercises near Ukraine’s border and Obama gave an order to start Air strikes in north Iraq. As we said in our daily updates – it looks like gold has tired to wait and catches any more or less valuable news to show action.
Since currently August mostly is an inside month for July our former analysis is still working. Althgough investors have not got hawkish hints from Fed and recent NFP data was slightly lower than analysts poll, major factors are still valid - good economy data, that right now is confirmed by US companies earning reports, week physical demand – all these moments prevent gold appreciation. The only factor that could support gold somehow is gepolitical tensions. Previously we have turmoil in Iraq and Ukraine, now Israel and Palestine added.
Grabber pattern is important, but June, and especially July has blocked gradual downward action and white candles break the bearish harmony of recent action. Next upside important level is 1360 – Yearly pivot point. If market will move above it – this could be an indication that gold will continue move higher and this really could become a breaking moment on gold market. Otherwise, grabber will be valid and potentially could lead price back at least to 1180 lows again.
That’s being said, situation on the monthly chart does not suggest yet taking long-term positions on gold. Still, fundamental picture is moderately bearish in long-term. Possible sanctions from EU and US could hurt their own economies (especially EU). Many analysts already have started to talk about it. It means that economies will start to loose upside momentum and inflation will remain anemic. In such situations investors mostly invest in interest-bear assets, such as bonds. Inflation also will be depressed and this is negative sign for gold. At the same time we do not want to say that situation is cloudless for bears, absolutely not. Especially due to the pattern that we’ve got on weekly chart…

gold_m_11_08_14.png

Weekly
Weekly chart is a goldmine of potential patterns. As we just have finished discussion of first bullish grabber on previous week – now we’ve got another one, and its minimum target stands above 1350 area, very close to YPP ~ 1360. Trend is bullish here. Possible success of grabber has very important meaning for strategic picture. Recall that previously we’ve discussed weekly bearish AB=CD and 1250 lows is 0.618 target. Recent upward move to 1345 area could be treated as retracement and then market re-established downward action. But if right now grabbers will work – market will have to return right back up again and this contradicts to normal bearish development. This could really shift medium term sentiment to bullish. To keep bearish setup – price should erase grabbers and move below its lows.
Second bullish moment here – gold has tested and moved above MPP. So, conclusion here is until grabbers’ lows hold – it is unsafe to take bearish position. Besides, seasonal trend will shift bullish at the end of August and lasts till the late February:
Seasonal_gold.gif

Thus if you’re bearish - it is better to wait when market will done with grabbers. Others could try to ride on grabbers.
And finally, just to finish with this picture... Since action above 1350 area will mean probably erasion of weekly bearish patterns and context – market could not just stop on minor target. For example, appearing of butterfly here with ~1430$ destination point is not absolutely impossible thing.
gold_w_11_08_14.png

Daily
So, guys, I would like to felicitate us, because situation on gold market stands clear right now. I do not want to say that it will be simple to trade it, but, at least we have clarity in short-term perspective. Thus, since first - we’ve estimated that’s a bit early, or, at least, unsafe to enter short. Hence, we can either enter long or do nothing. If we will enter long – we just need only recent swing up on daily chart, because this is a swing of our weekly grabbers. If market will erase this swing – it will erase grabbers also and our trading context will disappear as well, right? Consequently, we need just watch for most recent lows as invalidation point and try to take long position as close to them as possible.
Previously we’ve mentioned some concerns on existed downward AB-CD patterns that were not completed properly. But right now minor (4-hour) AB-CD has been erased, since price has moved above C point. Daily AB-CD still exists, and this will be our task – it would be nice if price will take out top in red square on chart. In this case all our concerns will be resolved. On daily chart trend is bullish as well. As we’ve said on Friday – since market has reached 5/8 Fib resistance, MPR1 – retracement could start and this has happened.
gold_d_11_08_14.png

4-hour
Trend has turned bearish here. Market stands with retracement down. Our first point to watch for is 1305 area. It should be re-tested and this almost has happened on Friday. This area is broken without any respect daily K-resistance and odds suggest it re-testing from other side. Second area to watch for – 1296 Fib support. We can’t exclude that retracement will be deep and this probably even better from risk/reward point of view.
gold_4h_11_08_14.png

30-min
Currently guys, it is difficult to find any clear patterns on lower chart. You can argue and point that this shape reminds H&S pattern, well, may be. But ratios are not very perfect among head and shoulders. Thus, it would be better probably to focus on this butterfly initally. It has destination points that are very close to our Fib support levels.
gold_30m_11_08_14.png

Conclusion:
Situation on gold market remains sophisticated. Despite some obviously bearish moments, such as bullish USD sentiment, lack of physical demand, gold does not show real downward acceleration and we could see that gold troubles downward action. Definitely that there are some reasons for that and they probably are not limited by just geopolitical tensions.
In this situation it is better to work on definite patterns, such as grabber that we’ve got on weekly chart.
In short term perspective situation is relatively clear. As we’ve estimated that it is better to not go against weekly grabbers – we can either do nothing or try to trade grabbers to the upside. How to do it we’ve discussed on daily and intraday charts.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Gold Daily Update Tue 12, August 2014

Good morning,

As we've discussed in weekly research, since market has formed weekly bullish grabbers it could be rather expensive to trade gold down. Thus, here you can either do nothing or try to ride on grabbers north. For latter purpose we need to take position as closer to 1280's lows as possible, since this is invalidation point of grabbers. Hence, our major concern whether deeper retracement will happen or not:

gold_d_12_08_14.png

Market already has hit our first predefined level that is suitable for taking long position, at least partially. This is WPP and Fib support. Still chances on deeper action to 1296 seem significant by some reasons. First is - gold likes deep retracements.
Second, if we take a look at 4-hour chart we see at top big "evening star" pattern. IT's target down equals the length of the bars and it could lead to possible AB=CD that precisely creates an Agreement with 1296 Fib support. Trend is still bearish here:

gold_4h_12_08_14.png

Meantime, on hourly chart market has not formed as H&S as small butterfy that we've suggested and in general picture looks more bullish rather than bearish:
gold_1h_12_08_14.png

So, what we can do here? We can apply two different ways to enter long. First is scale-in. This is more agressive tactic. IT suggests taking 20-30% or your normal lot around WPP and if market will turn down with AB=CD - take major part at 1296 Agreement.
Concervative tactic suggests just waiting of AB=CD and taking whole position at 1296...
My thought is AB=CD more probable then immediate upward rally, but anything could change due some geopolitical breaking news... So do not rely too much on my suggestions...

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Wed 13, August 2014

Good morning,

Gold was well supported above $1,300 an ounce on Wednesday as weak investor morale in Germany and fears over the economic impact on Europe of the crisis in Ukraine prompted investors to seek safety in bullion.

The yellow metal benefited from safe-haven bids as Asian shares struggled after Wall Street snapped a two-day rally, with the crisis in Ukraine sapping investor confidence.

"Gold prices will be quite stable in the near term with the downside limited due to geopolitical tensions," said Dick Poon, general manager of refiner and dealer Heraeus Metals in Hong Kong.

"What is worrying is that physical demand has been very slow this year. We might see some slight pick-up in demand towards the end of the year," he said.

A lack of robust physical demand could make it hard to sustain rallies and may also mean there is little support if prices drop.

For now, gold is drawing support from a survey on Tuesday showing German analyst and investor morale plunged in August to its lowest level in more than 1-1/2 years as the crisis in Ukraine took its toll, suggesting that Europe's largest economy is running out of steam.

Daily gold picture has not changed much, gold stably holds above WPP:

gold_d_13_08_14.png

We're mostly interested right now with 4-hour chart. Recently we've said that gold could show deeper retracement before upward continuation by 2 reasons. First - perfect evening star that has destination point around 50% support as it is shown by AB=CD pattern. Second is gold's habit that likes deep retracements...
gold_4h_13_08_14.png

Currently price action action looks more supportive for our idea of a bit deeper retracement. But this is, in fact, what we're waitng for. This will give us chance to take better position and minimize risk of trading weekly grabbers...

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Thu 14, August 2014

Good morning,

Although our medium term analysis still valid, weekly grabbers are still valid, but in recent time gold holds in tight area. In fact, shooting star pattern holds action for recent 5 sessions right under 1320 resistance. Usually when market forms such consolidation - it follows further in direction of breakout.
On daily chart we have no signs yet that our moderately bullish view is not valid any more:

gold_d_14_08_14.png

On 4-hour chart market still holds above WPP and first 3/8 Fib support. Trend has shifted to bullish. May be market is already has started move up, but I'm a bit worry on AUD analysis, since today we've discussed possible appearing of 3-Drive buy pattern and it suggests a bit deeper downward action first, before reversal up... That's why it is better to treat current move with healthy suspicious. Besides, evening star pattern is still valid here. Other words, although current action looks nice - possibility of deeper downward retracement is still possible:
gold_4h_14_08_14.png

On hourly chart we also have relatively bullish sign - upward breakout of large triangle. In short-term we probably could even get butterfly, but what will be next...
gold_1h_14_08_14.png

Still, guys, we think that we do not need to be hurry with taking position, since if market will really continue move up - minimum target stands at 1400 and we will have a lot of as room as time to take possition. To get confidence with this upward action is what is really important right now...

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Fri 15, August 2014

Good morning,

In general, I agree with Minimax. Gold really looks heavy in recent hours. On daily chart it is difficult to add something. Yes, bullish signs are still here - holding above MPP and bullish trend, but they are mostly weekly ones. It means that retracement even to MPS1 will not break weekly bullish patterns.
Market stands in tight range for a whole week and I suspect that this is because factors that previously have supported gold - have ended. No new geopolitical tensions and breaking news, while all other factors do not support gold - lack of physical demand and fundamental data are not supportive for gold:

gold_d_15_08_14.png

On 4-hour chart market 3 times has tried to bounce out from support and all times has failed to do this. So, we've got upward triangle breakout, it seems that market either does not wish or just can't move higher - it means that it will probably move down. some daily AB=CD at least to minor 0.618 % and MPS1 is possible... Still right now I do not see what could be done on gold market:
gold_4h_15_08_14.png

Last edited:
Hello

Sive, we have very similar thoughts..

I think we are in Flat correction as bF on bigger TF; I also think daily TF is in charge so daily swings to see is to expect; I think wave 1 of an impulsive cF is topped so on Monday daily swing low would be below 1301,94 but I think we will not so hurry..fastmove down could be wave a, so correction toward current high and into c, so, looking for harmonic on H4 and lower and confluence of retracement and expansion.
If there will be no complications price should arrive in target in first days of September.
I do not expect price to exceed 1392,32 high, where SG is, but to stop around yearly pivot which is also at 127/138 extension.

Good trading!

20140810_gold_H4_2005.jpg

gold insight

Man, it is fast!

To up side we could go all over to current HH, above I do not expect, to down side all the way to LL 1280, below we should not or we become bears again..

20140812_gold_H1_1009.jpg

Gold Daily insight

above 1308,43 I am veryvery bullish, below I think this congestion is 2nd wave as flat correction of 1st in 3rd, below 1304,74 would surprise me and then would expect diverging ED as cFlat..

20140814_gold_H1_1340.jpg

Gold Daily insight

Heh, today I am not so bullish as yesterday, muchmuch less...that move up right after I sent my post stopped and I am afraid this could be T3 correction and we might be in last one which supposed to be Flat according to Prechter or ZZ according to Swannel..in any case must be longer that xx so below 1304,74..if I am correct of course because we may go higher if my number labeling is ok but in this case price must not go below 1308,65..

20140815_gold_H1_0827.jpg

price exceeded low I think was wave y...goal achieved but projected target has not been hit yet so we might get spike down at data release and then I expect we might start move up, 3rd of an impulse on daily..

20140815_gold_H4_1420.jpg

Back