GOLD PRO Weekly July 15-19, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals
There was only single major fundamental event on past week and we’ve discussed it as well – this is FOMC meeting statement. By Reuters news gold eased on Friday but notched its biggest weekly advance in nearly two years as fears of an imminent winding down of the U.S. Federal Reserve's monetary stimulus eased for now. Spot bullion rose 4.8 percent for the week, the biggest weekly gain since October 2011. The metal rallied after Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke on Wednesday said the U.S. central bank needed to keep a stimulative monetary policy in place given low inflation and an uncertain job market.
Analysts said, however, recent gains in U.S. equities amid some positives signs for the economy and no indications of abatement in outflows from gold-backed exchange-traded funds could pressure the metal. "The fact that the leading U.S. equity indices closed at record highs yesterday – which could prompt investors to switch once again from gold ETFs to equities – is problematic for gold," said Eugen Weinberg, head of commodity research at Commerzbank. "Any prolonged recovery of the gold price is almost inconceivable unless the ETF outflows abate," Weinberg said. Holdings of the world's largest gold-backed ETF SPDR Gold Trust posted the biggest weekly loss of 2.6 percent since the end of April.
Some support to gold could come from turmoil with credit ratings and US economy data. Investors now digested news that sovereign rating of France was downgraded by Fitch on Friday, and Italy's credit rating was cut by Standard & Poor's earlier in the week. Gold is a traditional safe haven against political and economic turmoil. Gold pared losses after government data showed that U.S. producer prices rose more than expected in June, increasing gold's inflation-hedge appeal. Also the cost of borrowing gold stayed near its highest level since January 2009, reflecting dwindling supplies from bullion banks after heavy liquidation and resilient demand for physical gold products.
Thus, currently we see some issues that can support gold price in short-term perspective. As we previously said, market is really overextended to the downside. Also gold very soon will step in seasonal bullish trend. Taking into consideration all these moments, it is very probable that some more or less large retracement up could follow, although signs of it currently are not outstanding just yet. But it is very difficult that trend will change or end drastically. Usually when market stands in such strong trend as gold does, even if significant retracement will happen, market needs time and space to snub bearish momentum. That’s why odds always stand on the side of 2-leg move. So, if even we will get deep retracement, market will try later to continue move down. So, we probably should be ready for some sort of AB-CD action on gold market in long term.

Monthly
July candle is rather small and just inside one for June by far. Thus, our previous analysis is still the same. June candle leads us to further confirmation of Volatility Breakout pattern here by showing even lower close than in May and April. This pattern usually provides solid reliability, since it based not on some price averaging as other indicators but on statistical measure of standard deviation, i.e. on volatility. This is in fact the core of the market’s breath and if we can call it in this way – some statistical law that could lead to significant consequences.
Now we have VOB setup here. Market never was as oversold as it stands now. Take a look at DOSC indicator again – market now stands at all time extreme point that is lower than the previous extreme value in 2008. This gives us very significant conclusion that will be hard to overvalue. Usually when market forms VOB it leads to 2-leg downward move in some shape of AB-CD, but not necessary that AB should be equal to CD. The minimum target of VOB is 0.618 extension of AB-CD, where AB – initial swing down that has given VOB. Other words – now market is forming AB move. On previous week in fundamental part above we’ve discussed possibility of appearing of BC leg, since sentiment is extremely bearish. Then some retracement up should follow and then downward continuation, i.e. extension. And major question now – is current level suitable for starting of upward bounce? Technically it is worthy of our attention and not only because this is significant Fib level. Take a look – this is also target of double harmonic swing and target of rectangle breakout. Usually price tends to pass down the distance that equals the height of broken rectangle. And yes, monthly oversold is also here. It is not necessary that bounce will start tomorrow. It could happen even not in July and after some fluctuations around 1200, but we should be careful and keep an eye on possible reversal patterns on weekly chart.
So two significant conclusions could be made here: whatever bounce market will show here – this probably will be just retracement but not a reversal – the same thought we’ve made based on fundamental picture analysis. The fact that market has passed slightly below Fib support level doesn’t mean yet that this level is broken. This is monthly chart and really big picture. We need to see stable possession below 1200 to accept this idea.

gold_m_15_07_13.png

Weekly
Well, although on two previous weeks this time frame didn’t show anything useful for us, except may be indication of significant support level, gradually situation becomes clearer, or at least something has appeared here.
Thus, on monthly chart we said, that “somewhere” around market could probably meet some support and turn to retracement. We already know that price stands at monthly Fib support, 1.618 target of initial AB=CD on weekly chart, weekly oversold and Butterfly “Buy”, although butterfly target was exceeded to the downside. But previously we didn’t have the major part of puzzle - the reversal pattern. I do not know whether current one is reliable or not, but this is the only that we have, and it looks like bullish morning star. So, in short term perspective we can stick with it. Until market will not break its low the chances that upward action will continue exist. Take a look that minimum target of this pattern coincides with MPR1.
The major risk factor here is the same – previous bearish tendency of lower lows and lower highs has not been broken yet. Retracements are very small and market has doubled it only once. It will be nice if we will get higher high for our confidence as soon as possible. Also, if market will move above MPP and hold there will be good sign.
gold_w_15_07_13.png

Daily
On daily time frame situation has not changed much since Friday. Trend is bullish here, but market stands at solid resistance – MPP, daily overbought, Fib K-resistance and Agreement. That’s why market was not able to pass through previous highs and odds suggest that it’s not the time to enter long right now.
From daily time frame perspective we need to get either gradual retracement down or some flat action, so that market will exit from overbought condition. Or, if we will take a look on intraday charts, may be there we can find some scalp bearish opportunity to play on possible retracement down.

gold_d_15_07_13.png

4-hour
Unfortunately on intraday charts there not much useful information. On 4-hour chart market has shown AB=CD move down and re-tested previous high as we’ve suggested. But right now is very difficult to assume what will happen next. That could be as Double Top, as greater AB=CD pattern down, Butterfly “Sell” or something else. Bearish engulfing pattern that we’ve traded on Friday – has reached it’s target already, but nothing more has appeared yet. Probably, as market overbought, some downward pattern is more probable, but this is commodity market, it can stand at overbought for considerable period. Thus, we know that it is not time to enter long yet, but also we do not have clear bearish pattern a well. So, probably we have no choice but to wait a bit in the beginning of the week.
gold_4h_15_07_13.png

Conclusion:
Technically and fundamentally gold market stands in long-term bearish motion, but there are more and more factors start to appear that make downward action as not as cloudless as it was recently. Also we’ve got VOB pattern that gives us forecast for long-term price behavior and promise compounded downward move in shape of some AB-CD. Now major question in big picture – is when and how BC up leg will start.
We do not know just yet – is current move up is just a minor bounce or something bigger. Fundamentally some supportive factors have appeared, and this could shift to greater retracement.
Since market is overbought at resistance on daily chart, we can’t enter long right now. Thus, probably on Monday we will wait some clear pattern on intraday charts that will give us necessary context for trading.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Gold Daily Update, Tue 16, July 2013

Good morning,
As other markets gold looks very calm right now. But that is always become an eve of some strong action. As gold market has hit our target around daily K-resistance area and completed AB=CD target, the normal action is retracement, at least 3/8. But what do we see currently on daily time frame - sideways action, day-by-day inside sessions. It means that market is building an energy that should be released some day and now it looks like it has more chances to be released to upside:

gold_d_16_07_13.png

At least with such action I do not want to take short position, because if market really has intention to show retracement down - it has a lot of time and possibility to start it and even finish as well. But this has not happened.

On 4-hour chart this consolidation looks like triangle that is, at least theoretically, continuation pattern. But what is more significant is that this pattern simultaneously is a bullish dynamic pressure. Take a look, trend hold bearish, but market continue to show higher lows. I do not exclude that this could turn to butterfly "Sell" pattern. If this will happen, then most probable target is either 1308 or 1317 level, that also a WPR1.
gold_4h_16_07_13.png

So, this is not very easy decision to make. We do not want to enter short, but we also miss some clear patterns to stick with for long entry. All that we have is triangle and bullish dynamic pressure. If you will decide to take long position, stop should be at least below 1267, since if market will reach it, price will erase Butterfly possiblity and triangle will be definitely broken down.

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Wed 17, July 2013

Good morning,
situation on gold market has not changed much. Price still stands inside of triangle, that looks like pennant on daily chart. This is obvious on the eve of Bernanke speech to Congress today.

gold_d_17_07_13.png

On 4-hour time frame market still stands inside triangle. Currently I do not see any way to anticipate the breakout direction, especially taking into consideration gold market's bad habits as tendency to different W&R, failure breakouts and other unpleasant issues. As we said previously here bullish dynamic pressure is possible, that suggests the taking out of previous highs. But dynamic pressure not neccesary leads to continuation, it could lead to just W&R of tops, failure breakout and turning to the downside.
gold_4h_17_07_13.png

Probably you can invent some cunning trading strategy here with applying stop entry OCO orders, or something of that sort. But my opinion - to not take any steps until testimony will begin. It will be much safer to take short with confidence, if price will show failure upward breakout and start move down, than gamble right now with sophisticated order strategy.

For taking long position - risks are the same, since fake downward breakout is also possible.
Thus my opinion is it will be better to take position, that is backed by some market signs and reaction of Bernanke speech, than try to anticipate all possible scenarios. А jack of all trades is master of none.

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Thu 18, July 2013

Good morning,
here we have more action that on EUR, at least have some patterns and clear action that could be used for active trading. On daily time frame we've disccussed the possibility of retracement down and that it should happen somewhere around. Although we've expected to see it in the beginning of the week, setup for it to come has just appeared. The most probable target of this retracement is 1255-1260 area.
Now on daily chart we have small but bearish engulfing pattern, and we can stick with it to start trading.
gold_d_18_07_13.png

On 4 hour chart we see downward breakout of triangle, solid engulfing as well and small bearish flag continuation pattern. We probably can enter short somewhere around, since as market starts to form such sort of patterns - it usually holds for minor retracement.
gold_4h_18_07_13.png

On hourly chart we can see typical behavior and habits of gold market. Breakout has started from W&R of previous highs. Now market is forming pennant, we also have bearish dynamic pressure here and unfilled gap around our target 1255-1260 (at least by Alpari UK data). Our first check point on the way down will be WPP - we need to see that market will break it. If you already have short position - tight your stop to breakeven.
Although gold likes to show deep retracements, but in current situation, I think that is more probable to see minor one - 1281-1284 as maximum for short entry. Because if market will break current pennant to the upside - this will be wrong development in terms of normal bearish action. That is the moment to watch for today.
gold_1h_18_07_13.png

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Fri 19, July 2013

Good morning,
on daily time frame gold still stands in the range and as we've said in EUR research, there is a silent on the markets across the board. Although theoretically we've got bearish engulfing pattern 2 days ago and it was not erased by the market yet, current action is still action in the range and non-directional. Market is building an energy and stands indecision. Usually exit from such consolidation could be really strong and fast.
Now there are signs that point as in favor of upward action as oposite to it. That is typical when market stands flat. That's why safest way to deal with it - is to wait breakout and enter then on retracement. Other way that is more agressive is to apply stop OCO entry orders. On daily time frame the fact that market stands without a bounce right under strong resistance and after completion of AB=CD pattern adds points to upward continuation.
gold_d_19_07_13.png

On 4 hour chart market has not shown normal development for bearish breakout of triangle and after re-testing of broken line continued to creep with it.
gold_4h_19_07_13.png

This becomes more clear, if we draw it like sideways consolidation, instead of triangle. In this case all price action becomes clear.
So, in current invironment is very difficult to find any setup for trading. Only if you feel comfortable and have experience in range trading - you can play with it for some time. Others, who trade on daily, in fact have no choice but either to wait of breakout or hope that market will give us some clear setups or patterns on next week
gold_1h_19_07_13.png

Last edited:
Hi Sive, I made 14 pips shorting gold today (I could have made more), I didn't set out to trade this way, but I was surprised by sheer aggressiveness of the selling and I realized there was quick buck to be made. I say surprised because gold just seems to 'refuse' to lift although by normal market standards it is well over due for a rally. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on this apparently irregular behavior.

Sive your intuition about the wash and rinse has saved a lot of people money i'm sure! you legend.

P.S Sive AUD looks very interesting to me. There is a potential H&S failure pattern on the Monthly chart of EUR-AUD. And also something of the DRPO Buy on the AUD-USD Daily chart. What do you think?

Last edited:
Sive your intuition about the wash and rinse has saved a lot of people money i'm sure! you legend.

P.S Sive AUD looks very interesting to me. There is a potential H&S failure pattern on the Monthly chart of EUR-AUD. And also something of the DRPO Buy on the AUD-USD Daily chart. What do you think?

Hi Buddy,
that was actualy not quite my intuition, this is just how gold market works.
I'm now in vacation. Could please attach chart, so that I can look at it...

Dear Sive,

That spike up to 1281-1282, just 15 mins ago, was it the entry for short trade? Cheers

Back