GOLD PRO Weekly March 04-08, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals
On passed week there were some events that significant in general, but had only slight impact on gold market. Let’s start from US Data on consumer spending and confidence, factory activity that has pointed on pickup in economy growth. Although Bernanke was hurry to calm down markets by statement that Fed doesn’t see yet reasons for closing QE program and turn to more hawkish policy – this had no expectable impact. We’ve discussed that previous FOMC voting has carried real surprise when votes on QE outlook are divided. Investors still believe that better U.S. outlook could prompt the Fed Reserve to halt its stimulus earlier than expected. Whatever Big Ben says – votes are split and this fact remains. It just means that situation is changing per se and when Fed will announce closing of QE officially – this is just a question of time.
Second issue is about US Budget spending cuts across the board. U.S. lawmakers have so far failed to agree on a comprehensive budget plan to reduce the government deficit. Since this initiative is not new and the failure to find a compromise on the way how will be better to accomplish it, this had moderate impact on gold prices. What is a real interesting is that new debates on US Debt ceil should come on May and the fact that the Republicans and Democrats have been unable to agree on that boast poorly for their ability to come on agreement over the debt ceiling. Thus Analysts now closely monitor how a divided Congress will deal with the next debt ceiling, which is scheduled to come into effect on May 18. Interestingly that gold rallied to an all-time high in September 2011 a month after the United States lost its “AAA” rating that year.
So the major driven force for gold market will remain US economy data and changing Fed rhetoric. Most investors are careful with radical assessment of current situation on Gold. There are different opinions now from those who think that gold could show deep retracement to 1200-1300 level (we’ve discussed this either on previous week) to those who think that retracement can finish as fast as it has started and may be Gold is forming Double Bottom on daily time frame. Since there is no agreement on spending sequestering – if debt will continue to rise this will support gold prices in long term perspective.
Still all ETF across the board confirm by holding statistics that this is one among greatest outflows on Gold market. Hedge funds have made significant withdrawals and ETF sold out their holdings. Thus SPDR ETF has contracted holdings more than for 70 tones in 2 weeks.
As we will see from charts below – speculators partially have re-established longs but this has happened at decreasing of Open Interest. This is more common with retracement action rather than trend. So this situation indirectly hints on potential downward continuation.
Latest COT Report shows this recovery – speculators’ position slightly increases but this happens amid decreasing of Open Interest.
CFTC_Gold_01_03_13.gif

Sponsored by Pellucid FX - Premium STP Forex Broker >>
Analysis of SPDR Fund holdings with Gold price shows dramatic decrease that supports overall bearish sentiment now.
SPDR_holdings.gif

Final chart is comparing Open Interest with Gold Price. This comparison is rather pointedly. While previously Open Interest has decreased when gold prices reduced – now this relation is opposite. Open Interest decrease when price bounce and has increased when gold dropped on previous week. This is very typical for retracement behavior. Now is difficult to prove something, but I have a feeling that this is not the end point of gold’s decline yet.
Price_vs_OI.gif

As a conclusion we probably can state that passed week news had a moderate impact on the market and has not drastically changed overall sentiment. Market remains bearish unless the bearish euphoria downs a bit and is becoming more reasonable.
Monthly
There are no much changes on monthly chart. Trend holds bearish here. Since March has started market has left the oversold condition and from that point of view can continue move down. Previous action and February month showed solid bearish power. As we see in previous month – gold rather significant penetrated oversold line and definitely it can do this again. Previous two touches of oversold market has pierced it for 50-70$ per contract. As we’ve said on previous week, it is difficult to predict – will market try to reach 1535 support and Yearly pivot support 1 by some spike or not, but what we can say – it hardly will pass this level at oversold. Also take a look that all price action holds almost for 2 year in a range of black candle of September 2011. It’s high and low levels now become extremely important, because it could be really significant move after breakout of the low. Harmonic swings also point on 1530 area. So, next target here is 1530, while we still should keep in mind really big picture and possible retracement even to 1200+ area.
gold_m_04_03_13.gif

Weekly
Trend is bearish on weekly chart. Market has shown the bounce up on previous week from monthly oversold, 0.88 support and 1.618 weekly AB-CD target – rather strong support area. It looks like gold holds harmonic swings rather good – as downward as upward, but retracement up hasn’t quite reached the area that we’ve talked about – 1630-1642. Will it happen? Difficult to say based solely on weekly chart – no patterns, no leads, except may be reversed hammer pattern. Probably we have to search answer on lower time frames. Take a note that MPS1 stands in agreement with yearly Pivot support 1 around 1530 area.
gold_w_04_03_13.gif

Daily
On daily time frame unfortunately we do not have any solution yet – will it be deeper retracement up, or market will continue move down. Still, we can create trading plan, at least how to deal with significant levels. Here we see bearish dynamic pressure, when market has turned trend to bullish, but price action is bearish. Also market has erased stop grabber that we had on Friday. All these moments tell that market probably could fail with AB-CD move that I’ve drawn here and continue move lower.
If this will be the case – take a look at WPS1 stands slightly lower than previous swing low and this level will become extremely important. That will be next situation to watch. If market will form W&R of this low right around WPS1 – this could turn to double bottom pattern on daily and lead to even greater retracement up. I’m still talking about this deeper pullback, because monthly oversold shouldn’t pass without any significant retracement on lower time frames, especially from solid support area on weekly chart. I suspect that situation is more delicate than it seems on first glance.
gold_d_04_03_13.gif

1-hour
Here there are still some hints on possible retracement start. In general this later recovery on Friday looks like bullish engulfing pattern at 4-hour time frame. Here it could be treated as a bit ugly reverse H&S pattern. The one thing that doubts me a bit – is 1.618 AB-CD extension that slightly has not been touched. At the same time market has shown already greater upward swing and has broken bearish tendency. So, may be it will be safer to take long position only if market will pass above the neckline and red circle highs. If we will start to catch current retracement, we can get move to 1.618 extension against us, or even downward continuation to WPS1, that is also possible. So, probably it will be safer to take long either if market will break above red circle’s highs or wait for W&R of previous lows on daily and hope on possible Double Bottom pattern there.
gold_1h_04_03_13.gif

Conclusion:
Due to additional fundamental moments market could reach 1530 support earlier than expected and in perspective we can’t exclude even move to 1200-1300 area.
Still, technically market is oversold on monthly chart and has reach significant weekly target that’s why deeper retracement is still possible.
Very probable that it could come either as AB=CD or as double bottom on daily chart. We can start to speak about failure and re-establishing move to 1530 only if market will fail with this retracement and drop below current lows on daily time frame.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Gold Daily Update, Tue 05, March 2013

Good morning,
as we've discussed in weekly thread, it is possible that market will show deeper bounce up on daily due monthly oversold and support on weekly time frame, but this could happened differently. In general current setup is very similar to EUR/USD and my thought that the greatest probability stands on the side of potential Double bottom pattern here. Two others scenario are - simple AB=CD up and Butterfly "Buy". I'm not sure with Butterfly mostly because market has tested already significant targets and there is a lack of reason to show another significant leg down.
Price action on daily chart is not very strong. Monday was inside session to Friday's high wave pattern and now market is doing attempt on recovery that looks suspicious.
gold_d_05_03_13.gif

On 4-hour chart we have bullish engulfing pattern at support and nice divergence with MACD (the same as on EUR by the way). Also we have a bullish stop grabber here that could lead market to upward small AB=CD at minimum.
gold_4h_05_03_13.gif

Hourly chart contains all major facts. First of all, we see that current recovery could be a small AB=CD that comes in Agreement with 50% resistance. If market will form Double bottom on daily - it should re-establish downmove somewhere from that area.
Second scenario - if market will show acceleration up, next level to watch is 1605 area. This is MPP (has not been tested yet), WPR1, 0.618 Extension of daily AB-CD and 1.618 extension of current small AB-CD pattern. That could be the area for butterfly, where right wing could start.
gold_1h_05_03_13.gif

But you may ask - what we gonna do to not get in trap with possible reversal? Well, There two possible ways to act. The safe way is to wait at least of double bottom and W&R of previous lows on daily. In this scenario you ignore current retracement and just wait possible long entry point.
The more agressive tactic suggests taking long position on intraday charts against 1570 lows, because all three scenarios suggest some appreciation - either to 1592 area or to 1605. So, even if market will turn down around 1592-1593 you will have a lot of room to protect your position and even take some profit. But in this case you will already have position for cases of daily AB=CD or butterfly. It carries more risk, but possibilities are also greater.

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Wed 06, March 2013

Good morning,
something is clarifying on gold market... The fact that price action holds inside of Friday's trading range for third consecutive day tells that market hardly will show AB-CD pattern that was descussed among other retracement scenarios. Still this moment does not cancel potential deep upward retracement. But, when CD leg starts from suspicious coiling and choppy action - this is not natural and suggests downward continuation. On daily time frame it looks like bearish pennant inside of which market is building an energy.
gold_d_06_03_13.gif

On 4-hour chart there are three moments that I would like to discuss. First is - triangle. It is simmetrical and it is bearish. If we will measure the classical target of it - it points on the area slightly lower than daily current lows and around WPS1.
Second moment is yesterday's action - market not even has tested WPP, although was close and moved lower. So, it is hard to call sentiment as bullish.
And finally, the third moment is price action compares to trend. Although trend has turned bullish here- price action stands flat. This is bearish dynamic pressure that potentially could lead to new extremes.
gold_4h_06_03_13.gif

If we compound all these moments, the only way when we can think about long entry in nearest future will be related to possible W&R of daily lows and appearing of daily Double Bottom pattern. Without it it will be difficult to justify long entry in current environment.

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Thu 07, March 2013

Good morning,
although on daily chart price action still looks the same - coiling inside Friday's bar, on intraday chart there were some changes.
Recall that on daily we assume initially 3 possible scenarios - AB=CD, Double bottom and Butterfly. AB-CD currently looks least prefferable, since the coiling right at the start point of CD leg, that should be impulse - is not very natural. Two other scenarios are still possible, but in the light of yesterday's action the probability of Butterfly has increased.
Thus, by ADP data, we could get nice upward surprise on NFP release. At the same time we have hints on possible upward splash on intraday charts first:
gold_d_07_03_13.gif

Thus, on 4-hour chart we see two bullish patterns - triangle breakout failure and bullish stop grabber. Currently it is difficult to say - will market continue up significantly, but based on these patterns it should test WPP and grab stops around it.
gold_4h_07_03_13.gif

If market will hold above WPP, then we can expect move to 1605 area - 0.768 Fib resistance and that will the half road to butterfly "Sell" on daily. So, situation is very thrilling here. Anyway, we want to enter long to ride on deeper retracement up, and we need pattern first. Thus, it is better to wait when it will appear. Scalpers can try to take long position based on stop grabber but daily traders have to wait either Double bottom or Butterfly buy that probably will appear after NFP release. But you can trade NFP data with Peter...
gold_1h_07_03_13.gif

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Fri 08, March 2013

Good morning,
On a gold market price action even brighter than on EUR, that's why, by the way, I do not trust much in yesterday's EUR splash.
Gold market is coiling inside of Friday's range - whole week market stands rather tight and current situation at my taste looks more bearish rather than bullish. After shifting trend to bullish market has shown significant move down. Currenty trend is bullish again, but price action doesn't support it and stands flat. Market is building an energy before NFP release and price looks so that data should show upward surprise.
gold_d_08_03_13.gif

Still I can't exclude upward spike. On 4-hour chart our yesterday's stop grabber has not touched the target but has not been cancelled as well. Besides, now price forms 3 stop grabbers in a row and gold likes grab stops either from single side or better from both. So, stop grabbers suggest possible splash up - when price can touch WPP and simulteniously grab stops above previous highs and up border of current consolidation. Usually this happens slightly before release.
gold_4h_08_03_13.gif

Still, possible upward splash is mostly technical issue. In general, as I said overall situation looks bearish for me and I'm more interesting what market will show us later. I hope we will see some pattern - either Double Bottom or Butterfly "Buy" that could justify our posession on upward deeper retracement.

Last edited:
These threads may not get the comments like the EUR but I read them daily and I have been paying attention to mini-gold futures. Like you I am waiting for either the double bottom to catch a retrace or for the end of the retrace to occur. Really enjoy your analysis, on any vehicle. Cheers Sir!

Gold
Nothing is Clear on the charts technically,
Cant take any trades for today

Silver - Buy
buy @ 28.56
TP - 29.06
SL - 28.00

All of these threads might not exactly get the opinions just like the EUR nevertheless My spouse and i read through individuals every day and Photograph making time for mini-gold futures. That you My group is expecting possibly any increase bottom level towards collect the retrace or for the terminate with the retrace to take place.

Back