FOREX PRO WEEKLY April 21-25, 2014

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly

As Reuters the yen slipped to a 10-day low against the dollar on Friday after speculators unwound some safe-haven trades following encouraging U.S. economic data and on hopes for a diplomatic initiative seeking an end to violence in Ukraine. The dollar traded at 102.39 yen , and has ticked up in the past five sessions from a three-week low of 101.32 yen. Worries about tensions in Ukraine, which have prompted some safe-haven buying of the yen, eased somewhat on Thursday after the United States, Russia, Ukraine and the European Union called for an immediate halt to violence. Further, U.S. data pointed to activity regaining momentum after disruptions due to harsh winter weather. New claims for jobless benefits hovered near their pre-recession levels last week and manufacturing in the Mid-Atlantic region accelerated in April.
"There are signs of a pick-up in the U.S. economy markets have been long waiting for," said Shinichiro Kadota, chief forex strategist at Barclays Bank in Tokyo. Trading was subdued on Friday as many centres were closed for Easter, although Tokyo markets were open.
The euro was at $1.3814, little changed over the past few sessions. It hit a 2-1/2-year high near $1.40 last month, and since then a number of European Central Bank officials have tried to talk it down given concerns that a strong currency could derail the euro zone's fragile economic recovery. The latest was Executive Board member Yves Mersch, who said a sustained appreciation in the euro would inevitably trigger a reaction from the ECB. Last weekend, ECB President Mario Draghi identified the euro's strength as a possible trigger for easing policy. "The euro, if given the chance, tends to rise. The only really effective measure to counter the currency's strength would be quantitative easing," said Masafumi Yamamoto, market strategist at Providentia Strategy in Tokyo. "The ECB will want see the European Supreme Court approve the Outright Monetary Transactions first before it adopts quantitative easing. This may not take place until September at the earliest, and it will likely try to buy time until then." Outright Monetary Transactions (OMT) is the ECB's as-yet-unused "unlimited" bond-buying scheme, its flagship emergency measure against the euro zone's debt crisis. The German court took the unprecedented decision in February to defer the ruling regarding the OMT's legality to the European Court of Justice in Strasbourg.
Sterling hit a 4-1/2-year high of $1.6842 on Thursday, after better-than-expected UK jobless data bolstered expectations the Bank of England may have to raise interest rates earlier than its peers. On Friday it had eased back to $1.6785.

Technical
On monthly chart our major concern stands around breakout moment of 1.3830 Fib resistance and Agreement. That is also long-term downward trendline. We see that market has challenged this level twice already, but still stands below it and April action doesn’t look impressive yet here. In fact market stands in tight range since 2014. Thus, 1.33-1.3850 area is an area of “indecision”. While market stands inside of it we can talk about neither upward breakout nor downward reversal. At least, reversal identification could be done with yearly pivot – if market will move below it, this could be early sign of changing sentiment. But, as you can see, nothing among this issues have happened yet. The same has happened on previous week. Only 2 weeks ago we’ve disccused, as it was seemed, downward bounce out from 1.3850 level. But today we see that price has returned right back up to it.
Returning to discussion of Yearly Pivot - we’ve noted that upward bounce has started precisely from 1.3475 level. Now the major question stands as follows – whether this upward action is a confirmation of long-term bullish sentiment or just a respect of YPP first touch. Following the chart we see very useful combination for us – YPP stands very close to 1.33 – our invalidation point. And if market will move below YPP this will become bearish moment by itself.
Speaking about upward continuation, market mechanics does not allow price to show any deep retracement any more. Any move of this kind should be treated as market weakness and it will increase probability of reversal down. Take a look that as market has hit minor 0.618 AB-CD extension target right at rock hard resistance – Fib level and Agreement and former yearly PR1, it has shown reasonable bounce down to 1.33. As retracement after 0.618 target already has happened, it is unlogical and unreasonable to see another deep bounce and if it will happen - it will look suspicious.
So, speaking about monthly upside targets... If we will get finally real break through resistance, we have two major targets – AB=CD one around 1.44 and Yearly PR1 = 1.4205.
Thus, here we can make following conclusion – nothing drastical yet, market still coiling near resistance and we can continue to stick with working range for nearest perspective on monthly chart – an area between YPP=1.3475 and resistance around 1.3850. Monthly chart can’t give us direction yet and we need to find something else to trade on lower time frame charts.

eur_m_21_04_14.png

Weekly
On passed week market has shown solid recovery. In fact, as we’ve seen on monthly chart, and on the weekly – if you will contract chart, we will get long-term wedge. Usually wedges are reversal or exhausting patterns, but sometimes they could be broken in unexpected direction. Anyway, any breakout usually accompanied by strong acceleration.
At the same time we have completed bearish butterfly pattern that suggests deeper retracement down, at least to 3/8 Fib support of whole butterfly action. This level stands at 1.35-1.3520 K-support area and Yearly Pivot. Previously we’ve made suggestion that market could show some respect and bounce up as reaction on current support area, but after that some downward continuation should follow. Major concern was about how this will happen. Looks like now we could get an answer. Although recent week was very tight and inside session to solid previous recovery, this week has become bearish stop grabber on weekly chart. It tells us that market should at least take out former lows and to form AB=CD down. Depending on how fast this move will be – may be later we will switch to 1.27 target that creates an Agreement precisely with minimum target of butterfly and weekly K-support.
What is interesting is that current situation coincides with fundamental atmosphere around EUR. As we’ve noted in the beginning of recearch – any signs of EUR appreciation will trigger monetary easing steps from ECB. Thus, it will press on market participants and could help downward action on EUR.
Thus, as we have bearish pattern on weekly accompanied by divergence – our direction is down, until market either will not complete it or grabber will fail.

eur_w_21_04_14.png

Daily
Here I give you absolutely the same picture as on previous week. Price action on recent week has made poor attempts to move higher and we already have discussed why. Take a look that price has not even totally closed the gap. Price has formed long shadows and finally closed below MPP. There two interesting moments here. First is – why we use AB=CD target, but not, say, 0.618 extension? Mostly because we have weekly grabber and it suggests taking out the lows. Recent move up (our BC leg) was higher than 0.618 Fib resistance and has reached 0.768 Fib level. Hence, downward 0.618 extension stands above recent highs and doesn’t match overall situation. Second moment is oversold level – it stands very close to AB=CD target.
eur_d_21_04_14.png

4-hour
After DRPO “Sell” on previous week, here we have perfect “222” Gartley Sell pattern. AB-CD retracement up was perfect as in term of speed of legs, as in terms of distance. Major resistance where market has turned down was Fib level and gap area. Also take a look at MACD. It shows some upward slope while price action stands flat and even has started some downward action. The recent spike up around 1.3865 is our invalidation point, since this is the top of weekly grabber pattern.
eur_4h_21_04_14.png

1-hour
Here we have to decide where to enter short. To be honest currently we can’t definitely predict whether there will be any retracement up and how strong it will be. Since move down just has started market could just test WPP and go. At the same time we can’t totally exlcude possible retracement inside the body of the grabber. I such situations when you have solid pattern that you ready to follow, but have blur entry picture – the better way to act is to use scale-in technique. Thus, try to take small position around WPP. If market will continue higher add more on some Fib levels.
eur_1h_21_04_14.png

Conclusion:
While price stands in 1.33-1.38 area we can’t speak either on upward or downward breakout. Market continues to coiling inside of this range and April action does not look promising yet. Although we’ve seen solid upward recovery on recent week but currently this is insufficient to speak about long-term upward continuation.
Thus, until major question stands unclear – what will follow on big picture, we will focus on tactical trading, based on clear patterns. Thus, our major attention sticks with weekly bearish grabber pattern.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

AUD/USD Daily Update, Tue 22, April 2014

Good morning,
today, guys, we will take a look at AUD, since it gives us completed short-term pattern and it could be used immediately. We even do not need daily chart right now.
Market has hit MPR1 and daily oversold and has turned to retracement. The first leg of retracement, that you can see on 4-hour chart takes the shape of wedge and 3-Drive "Buy" pattern. It means that market probably will not turn to upside, but can show some retracement that could become BC leg of some bigger AB-CD pattern down, because market has hit daily overbought:
aud_4h_22_04_14.png

The minimum target of this pattern is top between 2nd and 3rd drive. 3-Drive has nice harmony and was completed right at 50% support area. This is mostly scalp trade.

To take part in this pattern, we probably could wait for some retracement on hourly chart, but not too deep retracement. Thus, 3/8 or 50% at the most. Not bad area to watch for long entry is upper border of consolidation that approx. coincides with 3/8 support:
aud_1h_22_04_14.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Wed 23, April 2014

Good morning,
today we will return to discussion of EUR. Our major concern stands around weekly bearish grabber pattern, that theoretically could trigger deeper retracement to 1.35. The same conclusion comes from appearing of weekly butterfly as well. But right now we have twofold situation on daily chart, as we've discussed in weekly research - either Butterfly "Sell" and further upward action, or deeper AB=CD pattern. In fact, if market will show action to previous gap ~ 1.3865 - this will erase weekly grabber pattern. Market now does not show any bearish action and even has moved above both pivots - MPP and WPP:
eur_d_23_04_14.png

On 4-hour chart trend has turned bullish, we have bullish divergence around 50% support level and somthing that looks like triangle pattern. With such conditions it is difficult to take short position right now. It seems that major level to watch is WPR1. If market will hold below it - it will keep chances on further downward action, while moving above it will become solid challenge on further upward action and appearing of butterfly pattern:
eur_4h_23_04_14.png

On hourly chart Market has completed minor 0.618 extension of AB-CD pattern and has turned to upward retracement. Now is struggling with K-resistance area. Any move above WPR1 will be too high for retracement after minor extension target and could be early sign of market's strength.
eur_1h_23_04_14.png

It looks like market wants to move higher but held by ECB speech. Draghi once said that if EUR will continue to appreciate ECB could apply some easing steps and investors worry of possible rate decreasing. This probably holds market from further upward action. W've mentioned this moment in our weekly research.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Thu 24, April 2014

Good morning,
as you can see, guys, it is not much to discuss not only on EUR but across the board as well. Looks like some period of silence and expectation falls on markets.

On EUR we have weekly bearish grabber and market has formed another one on daily chart yesterday, but recent price action doesn't fascinate me to take short posiiton. Take a look that if market is really bearish and moving down - this is curious pause right in the beginning of CD leg. Here market has not hit any 0.618 minor extension. Yes we have pivots but market stands too long here. Second, it has moved above MPP and WPP. All these moments make me stand back out from taking short position despite all grabbers that we have right now. Because market mechnics itself does not support bearish scenario. Theoretically as butterfly "Sell" as AB=CD pattern are possible, but I wouldn't take short position with such circumstances:

eur_d_24_04_14.png

Speaking about long entry... May be it is safer now, but I still feel the lack of context, insufficient context for taking long position. Yes, we have bullish hints, such as standing above Pivots, reaching WPR1, unwillingness to move lower. But still this is insufficient to take long position. May be, if market will form some bullish pattern, say, grabber here, or something else - we could do this, but not yet, I suppose:
eur_4h_24_04_14.png

Thus, it looks like market stands in some range and waiting for something. Depending on breakout we will get the direction. May be this is some struggle between natural tendency to upside and ECB restrictions on EUR appreciation, we'll see...
eur_1h_24_04_14.png

That's being said, price behavior shows that market hardly is bearish right now. At the same time we have some lack of context to take any long position as well. Probably we should wait a bit more here.

Last edited:
GBP/USD Daily Update, Fri 25, April 2014

Good morning,
situation on EUR has not changed much and today will nice example of cross analysis, when GBP supports view on EUR, that we've announced yesterday - market won't go back down by some reason. The same picture we see on GBP, at least, as I see this.

You, probably, remember this issue - butterfly, 1.6865-1.6595 targets. Now we've got bullish grabber on daily chart and market stands above WPP whole week. Grabber suggests taking out of recent highs. But if this will happen, price with high probability will reach 1.27 butterfly target as well:

gbp_d_25_04_14.png

On 4-hour chart, if you will be careful enough, you'll find another bullish moments. At first glance this is just sideways consolidatoin, but this is also bullish dynamic pressure. Take a look - many traders will see here bearish divergence with MACD. But in reality this is bullish signal - dynamic pressure, because price stands flat in the range while MACD showing downward action. Usually this leads to upward breakout. It means that market probably will pass approx. the height of the range to the upside. In this case price will hit as 1.27 butterfly target as inner AB=CD 1.618 extension around 1.69 area:
gbp_4h_25_04_14.png

On hourly chart we do not have any patterns, but see that lower border and invalidation point of the daily grabber coincides with WPP and K-support area:
gbp_1h_25_04_14.png

Well, I do not want to call you definitely take long position, but try to avoid short entry, at least till exhausting bullish moments that we've just discussed.

Last edited:
Great work master as usual.
Commander pls what is your advise on this,
1.If for example I analyses two pairs that is +ve & negative correlated currencies and base on my analysis the are bearish e.g EUR/USD & USD/JPY
2. Or I analyses two pairs that are both positive correlated currencies and based on my analysis one will be bearish and the other bullish EUR/USD & NZD/USD.
Sir, how should I place an entry other for both example. In some cases I do have this problem and I will remain flat but before I know market will react in my direction and I will miss out.
Last week Friday in your analysis you shown DRPO sell on 1h USD/JPY and this week we have EUR/USD sell bias though you clearly define best entry way is scaling in.
thanks for you usual response commander in pips,

Great work master as usual.
Commander pls what is your advise on this,
1.If for example I analyses two pairs that is +ve & negative correlated currencies and base on my analysis the are bearish e.g EUR/USD & USD/JPY
2. Or I analyses two pairs that are both positive correlated currencies and based on my analysis one will be bearish and the other bullish EUR/USD & NZD/USD.
Sir, how should I place an entry other for both example. In some cases I do have this problem and I will remain flat but before I know market will react in my direction and I will miss out.
Last week Friday in your analysis you shown DRPO sell on 1h USD/JPY and this week we have EUR/USD sell bias though you clearly define best entry way is scaling in.
thanks for you usual response commander in pips,

Hi Ochills,
You can take a look at some other currency to get additional info. If, say, GBP and EUR, or better CHF and EUR give opposite signals, then, it will be better to focus on JPY in your example.
Second, correlation mostly stands in long term. IT means that even if you get contradictive signals - they could work both. For example, your setup on JPY has worked out, while EUR may be has moved against you, but not as significantly as it could and then your setup has started to work. This also happens very often.
But, better is to focus on most clear signal and trade this pair.
Finally there is a third option that you've described - use different pairs as filter. If EUR does not confirm some pattern or analysis on JPY - then just wait or look at something else... THis is also not the worst way.
Because all correlations between currencies are based on their relation to dollar. When action happens not due Dollar then this correlation could be broken. Say, if driven factor is Yen itself. You may take a look at EUR/JPY as well, if you have different analysis on EUR and JPY. That also could be useful.

Hi Ochills,
You can take a look at some other currency to get additional info. If, say, GBP and EUR, or better CHF and EUR give opposite signals, then, it will be better to focus on JPY in your example.
Second, correlation mostly stands in long term. IT means that even if you get contradictive signals - they could work both. For example, your setup on JPY has worked out, while EUR may be has moved against you, but not as significantly as it could and then your setup has started to work. This also happens very often.

But, better is to focus on most clear signal and trade this pair.
Finally there is a third option that you've described - use different pairs as filter. If EUR does not confirm some pattern or analysis on JPY - then just wait or look at something else... THis is also not the worst way.
Because all correlations between currencies are based on their relation to dollar. When action happens not due Dollar then this correlation could be broken. Say, if driven factor is Yen itself. You may take a look at EUR/JPY as well, if you have different analysis on EUR and JPY. That also could be useful.

Commander am sorry for not saying this earlier. HAPPY EASTER, Wish you the very best of the moment. Enjoy yourself with thy family.

Thanks Commander in pips, I deeply appreciate your detail reply.
thanks sir,
You are always there for me and other traders. thanks once again for your commitment, time (even during holidays) and love.
you are my Hero, Master in pips.

Last edited:
Back