FOREX PRO Weekly April 29 - May 03, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
On big picture we see price bounce from support. It is difficult to say whether this reaction on yearly pivot or on 50% support level – anyway bounce has started, we’ve talked about it much in our day-by-day analysis. As we’ve discussed – currently market shows potential “bullish engulfing” pattern, although currently it looks not as impressive as on past week. Besides, Arpil bar has not closed yet. Anyway this probably will be treated just as retracement, because we need breakout of 1.3710 highs to speak again about bull trend. Until this will not happen – price action will remain just retracement.
At the same time greater bearish engulfing pattern is still valid and I see nothing curious with this minor bounce. If you will take a look at engulfing patterns, especially on long-term charts, you’ll see that in most cases some at least small retracement happens after pattern has been completed. And here we have support right below it.
As the conclusion of monthly analysis we can say that we have bearish pattern that points on long-term perspective down to 1.25 area. Hence current bounce could be used as a rally to Sell into and we could get some AB=CD down, based on bearish engulfing. Still this hardly will happen soon, since on lower time frames the retracement probably will be a bit extended in time and complex - AB=CD pattern as well.

eur_m_29_04_13.png

Weekly
Here is our major medium-term picture and we will talk about it again and again probably within considerable period of time, since reaching all objects by market here will take some months, I suppose. As this pattern is important for us – I keep detail explanation from previous research and at the end just add current assessment of situation.
I would like to offer you to take a look at current weekly action purely from harmonic point of view. May be it is not quite reasonable and adequate approach of analysis, but it agrees with nearest our expectation and could become interesting an useful.
On weekly time frame the major pattern that we have is H&S (that is, in fact, bearish engulfing on monthly, right?). Take a close attentive look at the shape of left shoulder, see – it has the shape of downward AB-CD pattern. Now I ask you to imagine the mirror of it in relation to head, as I’ve drawn it. Thus, left shoulder was formed within 11 weeks, and our current upward action is a mirror to left shoulder’s downward – to the neck line. By “check sign” I’ve marked the candle where we are now in relation to left shoulder.
By this comparison we see, that within next two weeks there should be retracement to 50% support level, and then 2-3 weeks final upward leg to 50% resistance that market has not quite reached yet – and that is also triple harmonic swing target on daily time frame. Only after that the downward continuation due monthly bearish pattern should follow.
Hence, by this analsys and things that we’ve discussed on previous week, we probably should be ready for moving to 1.29-1.2950 area within nearest 2 weeks. This area could be reached even faster – on next week for example, but harmonic analysis suggests that market will coil around for some time, before will make second leg up to 50% resistance 1.3250 area.

Thus, on previous week we’ve said that should see 1.29-1.2950 within two weeks. First week from these two was the previous one and it has passed by now. Take a look at the picture again – in fact, current candle is a mirror of the candle from left shoulder. By “Check sign” I’ve marked the week when we have started to track this pattern. So, now you have to take a look and compare one week to the right on right shoulder and one week to the left on left shoulder. Following by this logic, we probably should see some kind of reversal coming week, because on left shoulder next is solid upward candle, but it has lower low. It means that by following perfect harmonic scenario, market initially should show some dive (probably to our 1.2920), but later in the week turn to upside.
Although this is obviously too perfect scenario and some deviation could happen here or there. Thus, you can see that upward action within right shoulder was 1 week faster. Still the major idea here stands with this pattern and relative harmony of the shoulders. This gives us the key of understanding overall picture. If we will take a broader view on weekly chart – you’ll see that market now stands at natural resistance level and MPR1 = 1.3050.
eur_w_29_04_13.png

Daily
It’s a bit difficult to make comments on daily chart, since as you can see price action was rather tight and a bit bore. In fact, market stands in the range of Tuesday. Friday was also inside trading session. All these staff reminds consolidation rather than attempt of upward continuation. All of you probably know my stubborn (or may be stupid) opinion that market should show another final leg down to 1.2920. But I can explain… Recall that currently market stands at solid support area – 50% and former WPS1. Also somewhere near was intraday K-support area. If market has real bullish power and intention to continue move higher – would this level be sufficient for that purpose? Absolutely. But what we have instead – choppy and tight action, inside trading session and doji with long upper shadow. Other words – we see action that is more typical for contraction rather than for expansion of the market. Hence, as market doesn’t want to go up, it probably will go down.
eur_d_29_04_13.png

4-hour
You probably may ask – what’s the difference here from our Friday analysis of 4-hour chart, why we should look at this picture again, since at first glance all look the same. Yes, in big parts all stands the same – as initial AB=CD pattern, potential 3-Drive Buy that consists of two side-by-side butterflies, inner butterfly AB-CD - all patterns have the same 1.2920 area and we know that. But on Friday market has changed small, but extremely important thing – it has erased Friday’s stop grabber and has formed two new ones. But since minimum target of stop grabber is a previous swing high – our target has decreased from Butterfly Invalidation point (green circle) as it was on Friday to Friday’s stop grabber’s top (red circle) – and that is quite different picture with absolutely different risks. If, of cause stop grabber will be satisfied by minimum target...
Probably this means that our major pattern here is a butterfly, but stop grabber hints on potential retracement up that could be used for better entry point to the downside. Thus, thanks to stop grabber we could be able to place stops tighter to butterfly invalidation point.
eur_4h_29_04_13.png

60-min
If 4-hour stop grabbers will work, then market at minimum should reached 1.3050 area – and that is the level that we will look first in the beginning of the week. Here we have AB=CD pattern but with deep BC leg, so that D point almost equals to B, but slightly higher and that agrees with stop grabber setup.
If market indeed will reach 1.3050 – this will give us nice oportunity for short entry, since just 40 pips higher stands invalidation point of Butterfly and WPR1. Both of them give reasonable area that will protect our potential stop order.
eur_1h_29_04_13.png

Conclusion:
Short-term price behavior suggests some lack of bullish power and low possibility to show upward expansion by impulse move up. Thus, this increases probability of final leg down to 1.2920.
At the same time we have scalp bullish patterns on intraday charts. If they will work we could get better entry point on the short side of the market.
Preliminary analysis suggests looking for Short entry around 1.3050 with stop above 1.31 and target around 1.2920. But data will strongly depend on how market will get there (if it will at all). Any fast upward explosion, impulse move will put this scenario under question. In fact, our short-term setup – is butterfly trading.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update, Tue 30, April 2013

Good morning,
at first glance it looks like market could re-establish upward action and this might be true. But I think that it is not as simple as it seems. Yes, market could just proceed higher, or form Butterfly "sell" on daily - and its 1.27 extension will be right around 1.3260, but I suspect that we could get greater AB=CD down.
Take a look - currently market stands at WPR1 and what is more important at MACD trend breakeven point. If we will get bearish stop grabber by the end of current trading session - this will lead market at minimum to taking off the previous lows around 1.2960 and in perspective it could look at downward large AB=CD with target 1.2870:

eur_d_30_04_13.png

On 4-hour chart although in our trading plan we've expected some upward action due to stop grabbers, but thought that it should be not as strong as it was. Currently we see that market stands at Agreement (combination of AB-CD target and Fib resistance), that is also WPR1. Here I also draw this large AB=CD:
eur_4h_30_04_13.png

On hourly chart we see that trend has turned bearish (with stop grabber here as well) right after butterfly "Sell" has been formed:
eur_1h_30_04_13.png

Thus, as possible ideas for trading I see scalp short for scalp traders (if you will lucky to take it in time), since some at least small respect of this area probably will happen.

2. For daily traders - risky scenario allows to take short here, but you will have a headache with it, since we do not have stop grabber on daily yet, and if it will not appear by close - it could lead to upward continuation. Thus, you probably could get better entry point but will have to watch over position through the day and manage stop

3.Safer scenario - stay flat today and wait, will we get daily stop grabber. If we will - take short position tomorrow. Stop grabber will give us definite stop level and more confidence with bearish development.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Wed 01, May 2013

Good morning,
yesterday market has shown significant appreciation by the close and initial hint on potential bearish stop grabber on daily time frame has been vanished - as well as all intraday patterns that pointed on deeper retracement. That's why yesterday we've said that it's better wait confirmation of stop grabber by close price, that in fact we havn't got. Thus, now we can be focused on upward continuation and it could continue by two patterns - either AB-CD or Butterfly "Sell". Since 1.3250 area is significant resistance that will include 0.618 AB-CD daily extension, 1.27 extension of Butterfly, Fib resistance and daily overbought - it probably will become our target till the end of the week.
The one major risk stands for today is FOMC meeting, but at least currently price action looks like upward continuation of initial thrust on daily time frame:

eur_d_01_05_13.png

On 4-hour chart price has obvious impulse action and that confirms the thought that this is probably really upward continuation. Since market is not at overbought and at any resistance - hardly nearest retracement will be deep. That's why for long entry there are two suitable levels - nearest 3/8 support and K-support around 1.31 that is also natural support. Second one looks safer.

eur_4h_01_05_13.png

Hourly chart shows that market has reached two targets - 1.618 extension of initial AB-CD and most recent AB=CD pattern. Now something is forming that reminds butterfly "Sell". So, this combination could trigger retracement right to the areas that we've specified. Keep an eye on them - will it be possible to take long position there.

eur_1h_01_05_13.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Thu 02, May 2013

Good morning,
yesterday market has hit our predefined level of 1.3250, that is, in fact, significant resistance as well and includes 0.618 minor AB-CD target, 50% resistance and daily overbought. But for us this level is more important by other reason. Recall that on weekly time frame we have in progress H&S and 1.3250 is the potential top of right shoulder. Thus, we can't exclude possibility of re-establishing of downward trend right from this point. For that puprose we need to see how market will behave around intraday support levels:

eur_d_02_05_13.png

On 4-hour chart we see that yesterday's action around the top was W&R that takes the shape of bearish engulfing pattern - very typical for W&R. Thus, market has grabbed stops above the highs and returned right back. Here we have solid support area 1.31-1.3120 - 50%+K-support. That's the minimum destination of current retracement and that's the level that we have to watch closely. Market has reached only minor AB-CD extension on daily time frame. If market really has bullish power and intention to proceed higher - it should not show deep retracement. Other worlds, prefferably if it will hold above 1.31. In this cases there will be chances on move to 1.34, where AB=CD target stands.

If market will fail around 1.31 - this might become the starting moment of significant downward move in medium-term perspective that is based on weekly H&S pattern.

eur_4h_02_05_13.png

Thus, currently I do not see any reasons for long entry - we at resistance and overbought, market has hit some targets and formed W&R. May be it is possible even try to take scalp short position on hourly chart. I've marked resistance level to watch for possible short entry.
If you're still bullish - do not take long position right now and wait a bit, when market at least will reach some support area.

eur_1h_02_05_13.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Fri 03, May 2013

Good morning,
Well, our suspicious have found a confirmation and EUR has shown fast move down right to 4-hour 5/8 Fib support area. Currently there some nuances stand that could be significant for short-term perspective. Also do not forget that today will be NFP release, thus think twice before taking any position currently on the market.

On daily time frame we could get bullish stop grabber pattern. I'm saying "could", since recall what has happened with previous one - it was not confirmed by close price. This could happen again. Also I'm not very fascinating with it by other reason. It seems that yesterday's move down was a bit too fast and strong for reaching just minor 0.618 AB-CD extension. Short-term downward momentum is solid and stop grabber could not hold.
My positions - is to not enter long by it, at least today, until it will not be confirmed. Reasons are simple - Friday, NFP, no confirmation. Besides, either stop grabber will be confirmed or failed - we will have pretty time to enter in corresponding direction.
But at the same time stop grabber, even uncompleted is solid temptation, since it allows to enter with tremendous risk/reward ratio and low absolute risk per se.

eur_d_03_05_13.png

On 4-hour chart we have another reason why current low is significant - this is long-term support line, that currently coincides with MPP (not shown) and 5/8 Fib support. Recall that when market passes through K-support with no respect - it often retests it from the other side before downward continuation. May be this is happening currently here. But if you're bullish and you still want to take long position (although I'm not support this decision) - current situation is perfect, since market stands very close to short-term bullish invalidation point. If it will break this support - it will move through trend line, MPP, 5/8 support and erase stop grabber.

eur_4h_03_05_13.png

Here I show you that current level is also an AGreement - since this is also 1.618 AB-CD extension and here is MPP. THis chart is mostly for those who still think about long entry - you probably can watch over these level to enter long with stop below the low of stop grabber. Target - 1.3250 highs. But remember that erasing of stop grabber can happen only by close price.
If, for example today - or on Monday market will grab your stops but then return and close above the low - stop grabber will be sitll in place.
Thus, think twice before taking long position. I think that safer will be to stay flat today and take a calm and reasonable look on the market in weekly analysis. Currently there is no neccesity to be hurry.

eur_1h_03_05_13.png

Last edited:
As always, thank you for your work , Sive!

It looks like the news from Greece affected the market and the trading plan didn't work out, but we had some hints. The market opened with the gap, didn't manage to close it and then moved up really fast and made the butterfly invalid. Hope you guys had read Sive's conclusion and didn't enter short. Now let's see if it will be the beginning of an uptrend?

As always, thank you for your work , Sive!

It looks like the news from Greece affected the market and the trading plan didn't work out, but we had some hints. The market opened with the gap, didn't manage to close it and then moved up really fast and made the butterfly invalid. Hope you guys had read Sive's conclusion and didn't enter short. Now let's see if it will be the beginning of an uptrend?

Yepp, seems there are some bulls still playing around, but the level 1.31 seems so far work pretty good as a resistance. However, One more day to go before April month will close. Will it be a bullish engulf candle is the question.

I have to agree with you, Sive, respecting your comment that you're being "stubborn" and "stupid" re euro going to 12920. You Apr 29 euro vid recommended shorting at 13055-62 and placing stop in 13101 area. I entered at 13055 as the correct 5-min pattern appeared after the open at 13062 & quick jump to 13065. The euro did drop to 13036 but then turned & never looked back. The result was a $575 loss + commission. You said that if it rose through 13048 & continued higher, the Butterfly was invalidated. It went to 13121 before retracing a bit & now looks to be ready to eclipse that price.

I have to agree with you, Sive, respecting your comment that you're being "stubborn" and "stupid" re euro going to 12920. You Apr 29 euro vid recommended shorting at 13055-62 and placing stop in 13101 area. I entered at 13055 as the correct 5-min pattern appeared after the open at 13062 & quick jump to 13065. The euro did drop to 13036 but then turned & never looked back. The result was a $575 loss + commission. You said that if it rose through 13048 & continued higher, the Butterfly was invalidated. It went to 13121 before retracing a bit & now looks to be ready to eclipse that price.

Dave, are you blaming sive for your own trading loss? Sive gives us (for free, as we don't pay the service) his best view about the market. The choice about trading or not is only up to the reader.
PS: if a 575$ loss isn't affordable for you, you should better reduce your trading lots.
(all IMHO, btw).

Why did you put your SL at 3101 when the small bull swing indicated 3115?

Back