FOREX PRO Weekly December 17-21, 2012

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
On monthly chart trend holds bullish, and within two bars we see bullish price action as well. Market gradually approaches to the upper border of K-resistance area. If market will break through it – next important level to watch is 1.3486 high. If market will show greater swing up and take out this level – that will be an appeal on reversal on monthly chart. Looks like our suggestions about potential solid bullish context more and more get confirmation from price action.

eur_m_17_12_12.gif

Let’s continue to monitor JPY as well. Interesting, that market stands in the process of neckline breakout…
jpy_m_17_12_12.gif

Weekly

On weekly chart price action week by week eliminates questions. Situation has changed drastically from previous week – solid thrust up candle that engulfs previous bearish price action. This candle is a stop grabber as well, but it is simultaneously has taken out previous highs already, although with just 2-3 pips. Another bullish moment is that market is challenging monthly Pivot Resistance 1. This very often becomes a sign of upward trend. Here we see that market has enough room for upward continuation and this room has no resistance, except those where market stands now – MPR1 and .3150 Fib resistance. Moving slightly higher will trigger stop orders and upward move could become faster. The upward target based on weekly chart is 0.618 extension at 1.3350 and 1.27 extension of previous retracement down. Major target is 1.3830 – 5/8 Fib resistance, target of AB=CD pattern and 1.27 extension of weekly butterfly buy – sometime we’ve discussed it previously already. Here I do not see any bearish DiNapoli directionals or any bearish patterns, price action on previous week was rather strong. So, context is bullish here as well.
eur_w_17_12_12.gif

Daily
Overall picture is bullish here as well. We have smaller AB-CD pattern in progress, and market has reached 0.618 extension at 1.3160. Theoretically this is resistance, although minor one. CD lag is faster than AB. This could lead to either shallow retracement or no retracement at all. Sometimes it happens, when price passes with no respect 0.618 Fib extension, when move is really strong. Although we have two very good levels for entering long – first one is new WPP + nearest 3/8 support at 1.3060-1.3074. Next one is WPS1 and daily K-support around 1.2975-1.2990.
If we suggest that market will follow with existing direction, and taking in consideration all these moments that we’ve discussed, probably more logical is to suggest that first level has more chances to stop retracement. This scenario has a lot of bullish advantages – market will test WPP and continue move up, daily trend will remain bullish, this retracement will be more natural for AB-CD development, rather than deep retracement after just 0.618 target been hit.
Next significant resistance is 1.3230-1.3250 area – daily overbought and WPR1.
eur_d_17_12_12.gif

4-hour
4-hour chart gives us a hint, what to watch for if there will not be retracement on daily time frame. Here we have two different beacons at one point that very often become an objective of pullbacks after some significant breakout. They are broken high and 50% support level of long white candle. You can call it as Marubozo, if you want. This candle, by the way, will be an excellent barometer of retracement. If market will take it low – it will mean that market will show deeper correction down. It’s low is 5/8 support of recent swing up as well and breakeven point of 4-hour trend by MACDP.
On hourly chart I see only upward parallel channel, and, in fact, no signs of starting retracement yet, since market just has closed this upward thrusting candle and had no time to show any hint on retracement.
eur_4h_17_12_12.gif

Conclusion:
Long term context gradually is turning to bullish with nearest target around 1.3350 and major target around 1.3830.
In the short term though, we have to be very sensitive and flexible to market price action in the beginning of the week and try to take retracement for long entry. One thing we should be aware of – fast downward acceleration, as usual, that is never in agreement with retracement kind of move.
Theoretically acceptable pullback is either to just 1.3125 or WPP at 1.3060. Deeper downward bounce will add piquancy in situation, because daily bullish trend could turn bearish.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update, Tue 18, December 2012

Good morning,
Not a lot to comment right now. On daily time frame market has formed some sort of high wave or doji, shows cosnolidation and indecision action, or preparation for something big. Thus, analysis that we've made in weekend still valid and nothing to add here.

Intraday patterns give us more clarity with potential retracement, especially hourly chart.
On 4-hour we have example of bullish dynamic pressure and take a look - market has formed multiple doji with close right in the middle of the range and has not even reached the target of bearish engulfing pattern around level that we've discussed - 50% support of long white candle and previous top.

On hourly chart we see two in one - bullish dynamic pressure and butterfly "sell" is forming. That's why retracement that we've expected, probably has happened, although it was even smaller than we've suggested (if butterfly will hold, of cause).

If butterfly will work, then probably we should be focused on 1.618 extension of it but not at 1.27, because multiple stop orders will be triggered and market will easily fly to 1.618 target or even to WPR1 by them. IF this will really happen, then next pattern to watch and be aware of - W&R, that we also have discussed in recent weekly research...

Attachments

• eur_d_17_12_12.gif
    eur_d_17_12_12.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 148
  • eur_4h_17_12_12.gif
    eur_4h_17_12_12.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 141
  • eur_1h_17_12_12.gif
    eur_1h_17_12_12.gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Wed 19, December 2012

Good morning,
EUR has reached our nearest resistance level at 1.3250 - that is WPR1 and MPR2. Although they hardly could be called as major resisatance, some retracement is possible. But since market is not at overbought and there are no other barriers around, I prefer to see shallow retracement, perectly if it will hold above broken 1.3170 highs.

When market stands between 0.618 and 1.0 targets of AB-CD pattern, and shows really fast upward move, as we see - it is very rare shows any retracement at all, since it gravitates to 1.0 target. Besides, if market will not hold above broken top - this might be hint on W&R and that, in turn, could drastically change situation.

If market will hold above this level, then our next target is 1.3350 - completement point of AB=CD on daily and recall - 0.618 extension of weekly AB=CD.

on 4hour chart we do not see any patterns, just some levels. 1.3170-1.3180 is a Confluence support. We have another one 60 pips lower. Second one is 50% support on our upward bar and previous swing high as well. But I hope that market will hold above the first one, and here is why:

Take a look at 15 min chart. Since we at resistance, currently I see only one way how retracement could happen - by H&S pattern. Top now stands at 1.618 extension of previous retracement. If we suggest that this is really so, then, H&S target will take place around 1.3170-1.3180 - our 4-hour chart K-support. So, we will get an Agreement at K-support right around broken high. What might become better?

By this analysis I do not want to tell that it has to happen, I mean retracement, may be market just pass it right to 1.3350 ,that also probable. But, if retracement still will take place - that's the scenario to watch for.

Attachments

• eur_d_19_12_12.gif
    eur_d_19_12_12.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 99
  • eur_4h_19_12_12.gif
    eur_4h_19_12_12.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 106
  • eur_15m_19_12_12.gif
    eur_15m_19_12_12.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Thu 20, December 2012

Good morning,
so retracement has come, but a bit later and different manner. On daily chart we see big shooting star pattern. Based on this pattern market should reach area around 1.3135-1.3140. That is previous tops that were broken. One thing that is worry me - market has shown reversal right under 100% AB-CD pattern and has not quite reached it just for 40 pips. Current retracement looks a bit large to say that market will definitely return right back today and hit AB=CD target. Very tricky situation...

On 4-hour chart we see that 1.3140 area is Confluence support as well. But if we measure previous retracement, clone and count from recent tops down - we should get 1.3125 level approximately.
Here I want to remind you, that nobody has cancelled possiblity of W&R yet. From that point of view 1.3140 becomes last bullish outpost. If you will contract 4-hour chart, you'll see that current top stands at 1.618 extension of BC leg and if market will break this level down - large H&S pattern could become a reality, as well as W&R of 1.3170 top. That's why it is so important.

On hourly chart I see nothing except of breakout parallel channel. Here we can apply DeMark tool to estimate min target of downward move. Tom DeMark says, that move after breakout of any trendline usually reaches distance that equal to previous price acceleration above the trend line. Other words reaction is equals to counter-reaction. This gives us again - 1.3125-1.3130 area.

Thus, nearest trading plan suggests that market probably will reach 1.3130-1.3170 area of support, since there are a lot of different kind levels coincide here. This is a crucial levels for the medium-term bullish perspective. If market will not hold there, then we will start to prepare for medium-term bearish development...

Attachments

• eur_d_20_12_12.gif
    eur_d_20_12_12.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 109
  • eur_4h_20_12_12.gif
    eur_4h_20_12_12.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 119
  • eur_1h_20_12_12.gif
    eur_1h_20_12_12.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Fri 21, December 2012

Good morning,
today, I suppose, we could build our conversation only on "what if" basis. We see retracement has started, but it will be a real task to estimate it's potential target.

On daily time frame, the destination could be the same - 1.3140 area, that is nearest 3/8 Fib support and natural support of previous highs. If you will draw 3x3 DMA, then we will see that most recent thrust up could become a bit "drag in by ears" context for B&B "Buy".
If it will be really so, then market has to find support around 1.3140 and that will be relatively safe and nice possiblity to enter long.
4-hour time frame tells approximately the same. Here, as Mjunkyard said, we could get DRPO "Sell" pattern. Still, I think that it is more good look-alike pattern. But nevertheless, it could lead market either to the same K-support area, or even a bit deeper to 1.3075 area.

Hourly time frame has formed something like Double Top. THis pattern suggests even deeper move to 1.3065 area, at least theoretically. What should we do?

Well, I suspect that plan will be the same as yesterday. Anyway first level to watch is 1.3140 K-support by multiple reasons. Besides, Double Top and DRPO will not be treated as "failed" if market will not reach perfect targets of them. So, in the case of B&B on daily this will be perfect bullish scenario.
2. If market still will pass through 1.3140, then our area to monitor will wide to 1.3050-1.3140. Since two patterns have targets, that stand a bit deeper, market could accomplish them, and then return right back. Only if market will pass trhough 0.618 support will significantly increase downward chances.

Attachments

• eur_d_21_12_12.gif
    eur_d_21_12_12.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 91
  • eur_4h_21_12_12.gif
    eur_4h_21_12_12.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 96
  • eur_1h_21_12_12.gif
    eur_1h_21_12_12.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Thanks for your awesome analysis Sive.
What would your trading plan suggest for someone to do if they're long from 1.3035? The context of the entry was the retesting of the 1.30319 disrespected fib resistance.
Thanks in advance
Mjunkyard

3-drive buy on weekly time frame still working...

Hi Sive, It seems that the 3-drive buy we discussed so many weeks ago may still be working, with a target of 1.3485 (the high of the 2nd drive). Is this correct as a possible scenario? Chart is attached.

Attachments

• eurusd-3.jpg
    eurusd-3.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 65
Sive, i see a nice inverse H&S on weekly TF & eur closed the week above neckline - dont you think that measured H&S target should take us > 1.4 level ?

Thanks for your awesome analysis Sive.
What would your trading plan suggest for someone to do if they're long from 1.3035? The context of the entry was the retesting of the 1.30319 disrespected fib resistance.
Thanks in advance
Mjunkyard

Hi Mjunkyard,
well, you probably have to manage it and protect profit - be sure that you will take some profit from this trade and will not loose everything if some pullback will happen. Usually market rare shows deep pullback until highs, that it gravitates to will not be taken out. After that our major risk is a W&R - if there will not be any continuation up.

Hi Sive, It seems that the 3-drive buy we discussed so many weeks ago may still be working, with a target of 1.3485 (the high of the 2nd drive). Is this correct as a possible scenario? Chart is attached.

Hi Cosmos,
I thought we've duscussed a bit different 3-Drive... Anyway, it's better to treat this move down as channel, I suppose, since no signs of exhausting within this move, that 3-Drive usually asumes to exist.

Sive, i see a nice inverse H&S on weekly TF & eur closed the week above neckline - dont you think that measured H&S target should take us > 1.4 level ?

Hi Sudhirts,
at my taste this H&S a bit lacks of harmony. I better will be oriented on AB-CD. Anyway, it's a bit early to fall in euphoria about 1.40, 1.60 and so on. First, we have to get confirmation that this will not be a W&R of previous highs. ;)

Back