FOREX PRO Weekly July 15-19, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
Just we were happy with downward breakout of the flag two weeks ago, but our happiness was not very long as market has stopped move down due FOMC meeting protocol, that contains voting and major points of discussion and shows that many OMC members do not support fast and aggressive QE closing. Actually this information is not new and right after FOMC meeting, when markets have shown furius reaction Bernanker was hurry to put on back-pedal and chill out markets a bit. But one thing is Bernanke post-comments and quite another one – official FOMC meeting protocol. In long term perspective markets will probably try to understand whether this bounce is something long-play issue or just short-term reaction.
Previously we said that on monthy time frames nearest tendency will be determined by flag breakout direction. Depending on breakout direction – further action will follow.Two weeks ago we’ve got significant bearish pattern – bullish trap or fake upward flag breakout. By classical school of technical analysis this should lead to oposite real breakout, i.e. downside. But now we see the same oposite picture. Also market is stuck in yearly pivot point and 50% support area again. Still there is significant difference still exists. Why bullish trap has been confirmed already, current fake breakout is not confirmed yet, since July candle is still in progress. It could happened that by the close of the month, the downward breakout will be real. As we can see, monthly chart can’t help us much by far in our short-term trading.
In long-term perspective, now we can start to watch over bearish dynamic pressure here, on monthly chart. Now it can be signed much easier than before. Take a look that although trend holds bullish, price action mostly develops oppositely.
Targets to the downside remain the same – minimum target stands the same area around Yearly Pivot support 1 and preavious lows 1.2150-1.23. Potentially this probably will trigger downward action by huge AB=CD pattern that has minor 0.618 target and will challenge 1.1875 lows around all time major 50% support. Dynamic pressure itself suggests taking out of previous lows around 1.2050.
But on coming week our major focus will be on weekly and daily time frames.

eur_m_15_07_13.png

Weekly
Here is guys the foundation for whole our work on coming week. This is bearish stop grabber pattern, and I have big hopes with it. If you will take a careful look at this chart, then you’ll see that despite how drastical this bounce was – it has not shown anything outstanding for bearish trend here. What in really it has happened – market has hit significant support of neckline, MPS1 and what is most important – 0.618 target of H&S AB=CD pattern. And we know that even after 0.618 target some retracement could follow, but this retracement should not be too deep. And our retracement is not deep at all – just 5/8 from small CD leg. MPP has been tested and market has returned right below it. That’s being said, right now I do not see the break of previous bearish setup, at least by far. So our working range for coming week is a range of stop grabber. Invalidation point at top and minimum target at bottom.
eur_w_15_07_13.png

Daily
Here is few that we can add. Friday was an inside trading session and upward furious action we’ve discussed already many times. Currently our B&B setup interestingly coincides with bearish stop grabber on weekly chart and hardly this has happened just occasionally. Unfortunately, there are too small time has passed and we can’t understand yet – whether this upward splash was mostly emotional or not. If yes, than it should not last too long. Technically if you remember, we many times have said that market looks overextended to the downside. This is as pushed spring – when it releases, it happens fast. This is what we’ve seen on previous week. Now our major task is control overall action here. We need to get signs of starting downward move on Monday to get a confidence with as B&B as stop grabber.
eur_d_15_07_13.png

4-hour
Here market stands in a bit tricky moment. At the first glance, B&B has started nice, but on Friday market has stopped a bit. And now it is not quite clear – whether we will get deeper move up, or this is just shallow retracement, because price has hit an agreement of AB-CD minor 0.618 target and 3/8 Fib support. Butterfly “Sell” is impossible here, since current low stands slightly lower than initial AB swing. But we have a hint on potential bullish dynamic pressure – trend has turned bearish, but price action has shown upward action. So, as market has hit just minor support level, we do not want to get too extended bounce, especially we do not want to see exceeding of previous high, since there is invalidation point of weekly stop grabber pattern. Thus, all that we can do here is protect shorts that we have with breakeven and if market will continue move up – sit on the hands and wait clarification, because we can’t enter long since market at overbought at Fib resistance.
eur_4h_15_07_13.png

60-min
On hourly chart market has accomplished our DRPO “Sell” by nice AB=CD pattern right at K-support area. One thing why I’m not absolutely sure with upward continuation is current action up, it does not look like thrusting action and more as retracement after move down.
Anyway, analysis of short-term charts does not give us possibility to create clear trading plan right now, since market is showing sideways consolidation by far. But we need that current retracement was not too extended and we need that market re-establish move down as soon as possible.
eur_1h_15_07_13.png

Conclusion:
On longer time frames we still have bearish patterns and bearish setup is still valid, since even upward price action on Thursday couldn’t break it. Since we can’t enter long due overbought and resistance on daily, all that we can do in the beginning of the week – is to monitor whether market will confirm our expectations or not. Particularly speaking, we need to see downward reversal as soon as possible and get confidence that market is continuing move down. In fact, daily B&B could become just a triggering pattern, since weekly bearish stop grabber assumes significantly lower action.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update, Tue 16, July 2013

Good morning,
on many assets currently accross the board situation is very calm, and EUR is not exception. Speaking on majors, I do not see very attractive setups anywhere. JPY also just has completed our B&B "Buy", gold is consolidating as well. But, now we have some moments that could become important.

On daily EUR is only 1 thing that I would like to attract your attention to. THis is the fact, that market has not started B&B "Sell" trade and has no reaction to Stretch pattern as well. Although we've made a note previously that these pattern are a bit too fast and furious and it could make impact on its' normal behavior, but still, I think that this moment is important.
First of all, it means that we should not take short position here. As market does not react on strong patterns as it should to - then here is something wrong and market could turn to the other side. Especially, because now market is not at overbought.
I do not want to say that this definitely will be some strong action above previous highs, but 80-100 pips move is very probable and weekly stop grabber could hold.
eur_d_16_07_13.png

On 4 hour chart current action could become a bullish dynamic pressure as trend has turned bearish but price action stands flat and even is showing attempt to move higher.
eur_4h_16_07_13.png

On hourly chart it looks like sideways consolidation:
eur_1h_16_07_13.png

As you can see - nothing definite that we could stick with. Although if you want you can try short position based on weekly stop grabber if market will show some move up, thus to reach minimum risk, or you may try to take oposite sentiment trade - if market will not continue move down, then it will probably will go up, but these setups are not suitable for everybody and personally I prefer to wait a bit more, rather than take some suspicious setups...
May be you will see something interesting, then do not hesitate to share with others on our forum.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Wed 17, July 2013

Good morning,
situation on EUR is not easy. Yesterday we've said that if market behaves unnatural and does not start move down as it should by normal development, then it is very probable that price will show opposite action, i.e. upward. And that has happened. Second our assumption was about weekly stop grabber pattern - that it could survive despite possible upward action. This moment was achieved either.
Speaking honestly, EUR is not very attractive for trading right now. Market stands inside the range of long candle and final direction will be determined by breakout side. This is a conservative but most reliable approach. So, if you would like to make bet with high probability - wait the direction of breakout, although this could happen after some time.
Currently market shows choppy action that could be treated as period of indecision. This is understandable, especially on the eve of Bernanke speech to Congress - be ready for greater volatility today.
So, what could we do today?
Personally I like bearish setup more than bullish. We do not have any patterns on bullish side and market at overbought. On bearish side - we have weekly pattern, overbought again. Besides, market has moved higher - this gives much better risk/reward ratio for short entry than yesterday. I do not call you to take short anyway - but this setup is logical and worthy to be thought around.
eur_d_17_07_13.png

On 4-hour chart I can't add much. We just have here small bearish engulfing pattern. Here you clearer can see the wide range of the upward thrusting candle that holds all followed action.
eur_4h_17_07_13.png

Hourly chart is more important for us, since it shows the range that was broken up yesterday. Thus, if you will decide to take short position - take a look at upper border of this range. If market will return right back inside of it - that will be very good bearish sign and add confidence to bears. Market will follow at least to lower border of the range, but I can't exclude that this could be some triggering moment for starting on real downward action according to weekly bearish grabber.
eur_1h_17_07_13.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Thu 18, July 2013

Good morning,
well, guys, we still stand and stand around the same and in every research speak about the same price level, since market is really boring right now. As Bernanke has said nothing new, in general - only that Fed position concerning QE contraction will be flexible and will depend on economy condition, market has reacted correspondingly. Particularly - there was no definite reaction, since nothing has changed from previous speech and explanation.

Today again, we need to squeeze some analysis from current poor for patterns market. On daily time frame all that we've said yesterday is valid: that market has given us better level to enter short with bearish weekly grabber, that market still stands at resistance, etc.
But here is another important moment - take a look how market response on MPP. It just can't place bullish sentiment and has failed for second time around it. This is warning sign for bulls.
eur_d_18_07_13.png

On 4-hour chart I do not see anything interesting, no patterns right now, but we should be careful to possibility of butterfly. That's in fact the only bullish pattern that could appear here. Understand me correctly, I do not want to say that it will have to appear, but by current action this possibility is not absolutely vanished. Trend here is bearish by the way.

As yesterday, now hourly chart contains important information for us. Particularly the same level. If you've entered short yesterday, as we've discussed, now you can protect your position with b/e stop and monitor price behavior around support. We need to see downward breakout, that has not happened yet. If market will hold here and start upward action - better to close shorts. I do not know, may be this will become just ordinary fluctuation, but as all important data has been released - upward turn will be a warning sign for bears in current moment.
eur_1h_18_07_13.png

That's being said - if you have shorts - keep an eye on current support, you need to get downward breakout.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Fri 19, July 2013

Good morning,
well, guys, here is a silent on markets across the board, that probably could lead to storm in some day, but now it is all quiet. Currently it looks like more and more signs are appearing of potential upward action on EUR. It will not neccesary become long-term reversal, but some move to 1.33+ area is very probable.
First is - recall what I've told about EUR overbought. Very often, after hitting overbought, EUR shows 1.618 extension. Second, take a look at price behavior right under strong resistance - no response, no continuation with B&B and bearish Stretch patterns. At least now market more and more challenges the strong resistance, overbought and MPP. This suggests existing of some power.

eur_d_19_07_13.png

But most interesting for us is 4-hour chart. The pattern that was blur 2 days ago , now gradually is becoming clearer. This is Butterfly "Sell", that stands in agreement with EUR habit of 1.618 extension. Also inner AB=CD has the same target and 1.27 butterfly. Take a look at hidden bullish divergence with MACD as well.
eur_4h_19_07_13.png

Before Bernanker speech we've made a call for shorts closing, since market has not proceeded with B&B action as it was suggested. Now we probably can say - be aware of taking shorts at all. First, we have patterns and second we have price action that is not natural for normal bearish development.

On hourly chart is the same:
eur_1h_19_07_13.png

Market can't pass through support area and stands in the range of 1 hour candle for 10 trading sessions in a row. THis is indecision and buiding energy process. And this is not normal bearish action. That's why I suspect that we could get upward breakout. May be not today, but probably on next week.

Last edited:
Hi Sive. This candle on weekly tf can be considered bullish engulfing? Also we still have two weeks to close Monthly candle, so is it possible to retest the upper border of the Monthly flag and come back down?
I would like to say also that was amazing how we got another bearish engulfing at the bottom/support on the Daily just before the big move... Have a good weekend and thank you for your research.

Hi Sive,

well i think that we should also be looking at the USD index and other pairs related with USD currency. What i can notice is that USD is becoming weaker against all the majors and this means there is a massive selling of the USD currency. Gold is become stronger but not to a level that allow me to say that it will continue its upward action ( As the down trend is not broken on the daily ). Don't you think that all these elements can be alarming despite the fundamentals facts ??? Thanks.

eeeh, euro, euro not even 50% retracement you didn't reach :mad:
how about yen, he finished his bread and butter and moves on.
i would gladly give up from euro, but then how can i learn from Sive :confused:
perhaps, it's time for me to try gold !? :rolleyes:

Back