FOREX PRO WEEKLY October 14-18, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
I do not know, guys, how useful analysis will be on coming week, since we have long Columbus holidays and then just 2 days till X-point. I can’t exclude situation when markets will just freeze, expecting the solution of debt ceil and budget agreement. By the way, some big funds, as Fidelity have sold US bonds with maturity on 24th of October and in beginning of November and the yield of Treasury bills with similar maturity days has increased 3 times. “We do not expect the default, but we’re preparing to it. Other words, if you want a peace prepare for war...” Today I want to say just few words concerning 17th of October and possible default and to dispel an illusion, that if default will happen, then it will be strict edge between “before” and “after”. Actually, this is not quite correct. US debt has strick dates of maturity and if even default will happen it absolutely does not mean that government will stop attempts to come to conlcusion and sooner or later they will come. What does it mean? It means that they probably will pay what they have to with some delay, but not default totally. Second is, other issues of debt will not fall under default. So, if they come to agreement on debt ceil, say, 28 of October, 24th maturity date will default, but others with maturity in November will not. I will not talk about other consequences as increasing of government’s borrow rate, possible results for economy in general, yes this is true. Now I just want to clarify technical side of possible default, since if even this default will happen – this will be mostly political issue, but not solvency trouble. America can pay, ultimately and theoretically they can print as much dollars as they want and pay off totally all $15 Trln immediately (if they will need it), since American debt doesn’t carry currency risk, right? Thus, from the technical point of view this should not become an armageddon for financial world. Total collapse will be if this will become a real default – they will not print money to pay off debt and they will not increase debt ceil. But even in this case the whole burden of default will care mostly by UAE, Japan and China and it will appear that US has consumed all goods and services for free within previous decades. But this hardly will happen now...
By taking a look at technical picture, I’ve decided to hold with EUR on current week, although we could get very interesting setups on JPY, AUD, GBP and NZD in nearest future. I do not discuss it right now, since they have not been totally formed yet and we will talk about it as soon as it will happen. Actually, you even could proceed with NZD by yourself, since we’ve made long-term plan and it still holds by far.
On monthly chart of EUR the difference between previous week close and current one is just 15 pips. Besides, October candle is very small by far, although price holds above key level that was broken previously. Since current move up in fact is extension of intial swing, then when you’re dealing with extensions you count at list on minium 0.618 one. Market is moving to it, but the steep of this move is slower than intial swing. You can expect decreasing of steepness when market moves to 100% extension, but when market shows flatter action on move to just 0.618, this tells that this level will become solid resistance and downward reversal has significant probability there. In our case this is not just 0.618 extension but also yearly Pivot resistance 1 and major 5/8 Fib resistance around 1.38 area. Thus, if market will not show significant acceleration in nearest time, then we should be ready to downward reversal, even if it will somehow climb to 1.38 first.

eur_m_14_10_13.png

Weekly
After reaching of 1.27 extension of AB=CD pattern price has created inside small candle of previous week. This is absolutely normal action after reaching target and resistance. So, our weekly analysis remains the same.
Trend is still bullish here. Currently we have the only pattern here and this is butterfly “sell” and we still use AB=CD extension on monthly chart. As market has passed through as MPR1 as MPR2 of September and now it stands above MPP – it is solid challenge on continuation and it looks like we should see it, at least from technical point of view, since we do not know what else surprises could come from shut down. Long term invalidation point is a low of butterlfy (in red circle). If market will move below it – it will not only erase butterfly but also put under question our monthly AB=CD. Trend also will shift bearish probably around this level. Take a look that we have really huge resistance cluster at 1.38-1.39 area. Recall monthly target and Fib level and now add 1.27 butterfly target, weekly overbought and inner 1.618 AB=CD target. But fortunately we have pretty a lot of room till this area.
The thing that we do not want to see is a deep and stable return below previous highs around 1.3450 by reasons that we’ve discussed many times on daily time frame.
eur_w_14_10_13.png

Daily
So, guys here you see our previous analysis and trading plan that was based on bearish engulfing pattern and what has happened next. Fortunately or unfortunately, but price action currently is rather slow. Trend has turned bearish and market has triggered engulfing pattern, returned right back in previous consolidation but on Friday has made failed effort to return right back above it. Thus, looks like we will have to extend the validity of previous analysis on next week. Anyway, current action we treat as retracement, based on pattern. Target is the same – daily K-support, previous swing high and MPP around 1.34-1.3450. Also it seems that some indecision shrouds market action, but probably this is normal in current situation.
eur_d_14_10_13.png

4-hour
Trend holds bullish here. Looks like market has decided not to stop at K-resistance that we had previously but proceed right to major 5/8 resistance. Anyway, this retracement is reasonable for AB=CD pattern. Pattern itself is very harmonic – the speed of legs is equal. Theory tells that price can show any retracement after completion of AB=CD pattern as high as 5/8 Fib level and that has happened. But here we come to major point. If this is really just retracement and market really intends to continue move down, price should not move above this resistance. That’s the major point that we will monitor on coming week here. The downward target is the same and we’ve discussed it already – we have big target/support area in 1.34-1.3450 as on daily as on 4-hour chart.
eur_4h_14_10_13.png

Conclusion:
On big picture market still has chances to move in 1.38 area and. At least, currently it looks so, although shut down could easily correct technical picture, since markets now stand in extraordinary action and are driven by absolutely different factors.
In such environment it is better to stick with some clear patterns that could give us clear entry, risk points and risk/reward ratio. Thus, on daily we will continue to trade based on engulfing pattern and our first task in the beginning of the week will get assurance that current move up is just a retracement and price will continue move lower. Market could be really thin in the first half of the week.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update Tue 15, October 2013

Good morning,
so, if you remember our major concern was about current retracement up. On daily chart we see that a kind of H&S is forming with the same possible target around daily K-support, MPP and previous highs.
Thus, if market really has intention do complete this target and show some downward continuation, it has only 1 direction from current level - down. If this will not happen, it means that it will not happen at all in short-term perspective, and we have to be ready for new highs:
eur_d_15_10_13.png

On 4-hour chart I see nothing special. Market has reached 5/8 resistance, but holds below it. Trend stands bullish, but very close to current price action:
eur_4h_15_10_13.png

Major picture for us currently is hourly one. Take a look - butterfly reversal right at our major 5/8 resistance. What else we need from market? Everything was done for downward reversal. If in current circumstances market will not re-establish move down, then, as I've said, be ready for new highs.
eur_1h_15_10_13.png

Finally, today I've seen article in Reuters telling that politicians, close to conversation between republicans and democrates hint on possible today agreement. Anyway, what do you think, if default will come, whether USD will rise or fall and why?
That is today topic for discussion on forum. It's rather interesting. This is not simple question. Think strongly, as a hint - take a look at 2008, that was a subprime crisis in US, but USD has skyrocketed, why? And why this couldn't happen again? Or it could? :)

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Wed 16, October 2013

Good morning,
Our yesterday's suggestion was correct and market indeed has shown drop down. But, guys, we're approaching to 17th and sometimes it's better to stay flat couple of days. Currently I even will not dare to make any forecasts till the end of the week. But, surely the choice is up to you. Now we will discuss technical issue...
From thechincal point of view, I do not see any problems with our short-term setup. Yes, market has failed to pass through neckline, but this has happened not just occasionally. There is a solid support as you will see below. Thus, currently it looks like market still could touch 1.34-1.3450 area:
eur_d_16_10_13.png

On 4-hour chart we clear see that this is WPS1 and also 0.618 target of greater (orange AB=CD) pattern. Since recent candles look really nasty, we probably could suggest that bearish momentum is still here. Thus, targets of greater AB=CD and smaller coincide around 1.3430. That will be our target for current week.
eur_4h_16_10_13.png

On hourly chart WPS1 is also a level of our ultimate 1.618 target of butterfly and 1.618 extension of AB=CD down right from it's top. Current move up looks choppy and mostly reminds retracement, rather than reversal. Price already has shown 50% retracement that is typical for EUR. Technically we could get deeper AB=CD retracement, but recent move up looks flatter and weaker, at least now. That's why, if it will remains as it is, then, probably we will get just re-testing of resistance and WPP...
eur_1h_16_10_13.png

And finally, guys. Yesterday action was nice, if you've made some pips on it, think about rest or at least tight stops. We're approaching to X-point...

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Thu 17, October 2013

Good morning,
as markets have got relief from US government, situation on EUR has changed drastically from different points of view. Actually until market has not turned up yesterday - everything was normal, but yesterday's move up was not normal.
On daily chart, we have to recall 3-period rule that suggests if price has not started move with your direction according to your analysis within 3periods, then, either something is wrong with analysis or market's sentiment has changed. That is what we have now. 2 weeks ago we've got engulfing pattern, H&S...yesterday was second attempt to pass through neckline. And, market currently does not stand at some significant support. It was not able to continue move down, at least to K-support, it has not re-tested broken highs and even has not touched (yet) MPP. So as we've said yesterday - "if market will not continue move down, be prepared for new highs". Following to hour chart, "next highs" should come at 1.37 area.
eur_d_17_10_13.png

May be on daily chart irrational move is not as obvious as on intraday ones. Here is 4-hour chart. Yesterday we've said that Ok, we can accept retracement up from WPS1 and minor 0.618 target of AB=CD and market indeed has re-established move down after that. Until this moment everything was OK. But take a look what has happened then - another strong move up. This is not normal. Besides - all this motion was supported by WPS1. Also, market has failed to continue move to 1.618 extension of smaller AB=CD and has shown intially first normal deep retracement at 100% AB=CD target and later when it should continue move down, has shown another one...
eur_4h_17_10_13.png

On hourly chart all was OK, until red circle. We've said, that ultimately we could get AB=CD up and we got it as "222" sell pattern, then move down was re-establish and then - stop! explosive move up that was absolutely wrong with normal bearish development. It means that situation on market has changed.
eur_1h_17_10_13.png

So, what we could do now? Well, personally, I do not to take short position when I see this action. By thinking about going long we have to understand that our invalidation point is current low at hourly chart. If market will take it out - we could start speaking about bear trend again.
So, may be we can think about taking position at one of the support levels, but later we have to see the breakout through 1.3567 highs. In this case market will erase whole recent move down and give us confirmation of possible further upward continuation.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Fri 18, October 2013

Good morning,
market is gradually approaching to logical finish of current week. Since today's Friday, then investors could start fix profit at the end of this nervous week. Market stands just 20 pips lower of our target - MPR1 and 1.272 extension at 1.37. Probalby it should hit it within an hours. I can't exclude that market could pass through it, but since we at resistance, odds suggest pullback. Thus, may be it makes sense in our weekly research to take a broader look on EUR and see what has changed with this upward action:
eur_d_18_10_13.png

In short-term I see only 1 possibility for trading - this is possible DiNapoli B&B or DRPO on 4 hour chart. Thrust looks nice an as we're approaching to resistance, any bounce down could be a foundation for directional pattern:
eur_4h_18_10_13.png

May be it even will be triggered by this butterfly on hourly chart. It has 1.618 extension right at our daily target:
eur_1h_18_10_13.png

Last edited:
The Retracement to 5/8 Resistence is also confluent with Trend Line you drew on 1 hour chart some days ago. Take a look..a nice 4Hr Pin Bar..& 'Kiss Goodbye' right at 1.3575!? :)

Hello,

this could be H&S...nice macd slope on H8 and maybe hidden divergence on H4..

Good trading!

201310141545.gif

Finally, today I've seen article in Reuters telling that politicians, close to conversation between republicans and democrates hint on possible today agreement. Anyway, what do you think, if default will come, whether USD will rise or fall and why?
That is today topic for discussion on forum. It's rather interesting. This is not simple question. Think strongly, as a hint - take a look at 2008, that was a subprime crisis in US, but USD has skyrocketed, why? And why this couldn't happen again? Or it could? :)

Only a dumb truck driver so DYOR:rolleyes:

If US default will happen,which I dough will happen as this is a currency war and not a conventional war. The big difference I see from 2008 and whats going on now is there was no currency war in 2008!

USD skyrocketed on risk off trade in 2008 but ever since US has lead the way in this currency war followed closely EU and GB and more recently Japan, well Japan only recently held onto it!

If US will default I'll be putting my money on JPY and wont risk buying any USD in any pair, the most dysfunctional government on the planet has a lot of can's:)

"...as a hint - take a look at 2008, that was a subprime crisis in US, but USD has skyrocketed,"

What month was the crisis in 2008?

Thanks

Back