GOLD PRO Weekly February 18-22, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals
Let’s start our discussion from most recent COT report. As gold turns south – reaction in sentiment be not long in coming. Although long position of speculators remains at at the same level and has shown just small decreasing, short positions have increased significantly and, as a result, net long positions has decreased. Total open interest also has increased, and shows jump in short positions. Still, let’s avoid to dramatize the situation yet. COT report indeed shows increasing interest to short positions and shows increasing of shorts positions per se.
CFTC_Gold_18_02_13.gif
At the same time, we have unresolved situation with divergence between Gold prices and speculative positions. This is the second case of such divergence since 2003. On the chart, that we’ve started discussion on previous week we see that from 2004 minimum level on non-commercial (speculators) net positions stands around 50-60 K contracts and currently, as we said they are almost at minimum. Hence this contradiction has to be resolved soon. How it should happen? Take a look at the chart and the first ellipse first. See – when the price of gold tested the trend line for the last time (when arrow stands) and then market has broken previous high – speculative positions has shown fast appreciation.
Currently we probably should stand somewhere near this point. Most recent downward swing of Gold price has not broken the trend line yet (as you will see on monthly chart), that stands for February at ~1570, so this upward trend still holds. At the same time speculative positions are near the low, but the still have room to decrease for another 5-10K. The thing that I want to say is - it’s not done yet with upward trend in long-term perspective, even based on sentiment analysis. This divergence can’t last forever, it should be resolved – either gold market has to drop significantly, or upward continuation should follow.
CFTC_Gold_hist.gif

Analysis of SPDR Fund holdings shows small decrease in physical gold and situation has not changed drastically yet, compares to previous week.
SPDR_holdings.gif

Finally, before we will pass to technical issues, I want to attract your attention to the event that has passed almost invisibly in mass-media. I’m speaking about Germany intention to repatriate all physical gold, that now holds in foreign countries, and US stands among of them:
The following table shows the current and the envisaged future allocation of Germany's gold reserves across the various storage locations:
31 December 2012 31 December 2020
Frankfurt am Main 31 % 50 %
New York 45 % 37 %
London 13 % 13 %
Paris 11 % 0 %
To this end, the Bundesbank is planning a phased relocation of 300 tonnes of gold from New York to Frankfurt as well as an additional 374 tonnes from Paris to Frankfurt by 2020.
Source: Bundesbank January 16, 2013
What else we know? There are some rumors, that Netherlands and Azerbaijan could follow the Germany. Besides, China gradually continue to increase its reserves of Gold and if it will continue they could announce within 1-2 years - “hey, we have 3000 tones (or even 4000 tones) of Gold”. But this is not the point. The point is – “what that repatriation is?” My thought that this even stands among most significant events on gold markets and it is extremely important for long-long term picture. This is, in fact, the clone of Charles De Gaulle act to exchange all US Dollars into Gold in 60’s. (You can read about it in our Forex Military School).
Why this is important? In normal situation no major central bank will call for withdrawal of 300 tones of gold from another major central bank. My thought is that first – Germany would like to audit US and check is it really all gold safe, second – Germany probably sees significant risks of currencies, especially US Dollar and EUR in long-term perspective and tells that “Gold is the currency”. Now, imagine, what will happen if after the Germany other countries will follow?
Another significant moment is – why this procedure should be accomplished to 2020? Is it really so difficult to transfer 300 tones? I suspect that US doesn’t have this gold, not in term that they have lost it, but this gold was put in some turnover. Before this huge upward trend has started, the lending against the gold was very common transaction. Hence, it is possible that gold was put as collateral or lend somehow and US need time to gather it or purchase on open market.
One of the most famous and respectable gold traders Jim Sinclair tells on this event that it could become most significant precedent on Gold market within 50 years. It could put the end to US Dollar as reserve currency and lead gold above previous high to 2111$.
What’s conclusion could be made here? From the fundamental point of view we see some decreasing interest to gold in short-term perspective and we know that gold now stands in seasonal bear trend. Lack of inflationary pressure is also put negative impact on gold prices and in short term perspective 3-6 months gold could show downward action still.
However, in longer term perspective we see warning signs that could stimulate gold purchases and Germany precedent could lead to significant consequences. Second, short-term decreasing has not broken yet positive potential that divergence between gold price and speculators position carries. All these moments allows us to point that it’s too early to speak about global trend changing to bearish. Long-term bullish trend still holds and technical picture will confirm this.

Monthly
Here is on monthly chart we probably can say, that yes, this is plan “B” guys. After a month of flirting around 1665 yearly pivot, when price has tested it with 1625 move and returned right back, market has taken out this low and continue move down. In fundamental part of research we said, that technical picture tells that long-term bullish trend is still valid, and this is indeed so. How bullish trend usually develops from pivot points’ framework? Price either touches pivot and go (our former plan “A”) or it retracement to pivot support 1. Until price stands above Pivot support 1 – we can say that this is a retracement yet. It assumes that pivot support 1 holds retracement in a bull trend. This level stands around 1535 – right at previous lows on monthly chart in yellow rectangle.
But before this level we have another one solid support – monthly oversold and trend line – particularly this trend that is used on our COT report divergence analysis, and they are coincide in February. One thing that I want to say here is – gold oversold is quite different from EUR oversold. Gold is commodity market and could show deep penetration of oversold lines as well as hold at oversold for considerable period. Financial markets almost never behave like that.
So, long-term analysis tells that bull trend has not broken, it is still valid, but market probably will show deeper retracement. First target is 1575 of monthly oversold, second is 1536 – yearly pivot and natural support.
gold_m_18_02_13.gif

Weekly
Here trend holds bearish, we’re not at oversold and have no divergence – so, that I keep MACD out of the chart. There are two major points here – market has passed through previous low of the year at 1625 and second – market has returned right back in previous consolidation that was rather significant previously and gold has started upward trend right after breakout of it.
Market has reached support area as well – hit 1.27 extension of our AB-CD pattern and stands now near 0.768 Fib support. So, we clearly see that market is bearish, but when it will show retracement – now, or will move a bit lower? I can’t prove it since we have no confirmation from the market, but I dare to suggest that market probably will move lower. 1625-1630 area was a significant support, including major 0.618 support level, but market has passed through it like hot knife through the butter. Current support likes as minor one. If we will measure all previous downswings, as well as retracements – they point on 1570-1575 area. That’s the area where current 1.618 extension of previous retracement stands. Next target will be 1550 – 1.618 extension of AB-CD pattern, and I suspect that somewhere between 1575 and 1550 price will turn to more or less feasible retracement up. Other words, I expect another week down, but not as tremendous as previous one.
gold_w_18_02_13.gif

Daily
Trend is bearish here, but market at oversold at 1.27 extension point of butterfly. Some retracement up could follow, the question is again – what retracement? Based on harmonic swings it could be either to 50% or slightly higher than 0.618. We do not have patterns here to say definitely. Thus one of our tasks for Monday will be to monitor price action on intraday charts and try to catch any pattern that could clarify this moment. Because as deep retracement as shallow one has foundation. Deep retracement could happen, because gold likes to do 0.618 retracements, and market at oversold, while shallow retracement could happen, because gold rare makes deep retracement when trend accelerates – take a look at previous move down and second, if market fails around 1.27 target of butterfly and intends continue move down – it rare makes deep retracement.
I expect that market will proceed to 1.618 target of butterfly, mostly because of long black candle right at 1.27 target – this usually lead to further continuation. So, retracement will probably happen and we need to search possibility to short entry, but will be better if we will get some pattern on our back and will not enter just from Fib level.
gold_d_18_02_13.gif

4-hour
Here we probably could get a context for DiNapoli directional pattern that could trigger retracement up. I prefer to get B&B “Sell” from WPP area. Anyway, first level to watch for is 1630-1632 K-resistance, that is also WPP and previous low. If market will break through it – next is 1650 Fib resistance and WPR1.
gold_4h_18_02_13.gif

Conclusion:
Market has failed to show strong bullish scenario with holding above yearly pivot and re-establish move up. This leads to some structural changes in bears’ favor in short-term perspective. In long-term still, bullish trend still holds – as technically as fundamentally and current move down just means that market shows plan “B” – retracement to yearly pivot support 1. Until market will not break this area we could treat this move down as retracement.
In short term perspective gold probably will continue move lower to 1575-1580 target. Thus we need to use rally to sell into. Possible levels to watch for on coming week are 1530 and 1550.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gold Daily Update, Tue 19, February 2013

Good morning,
We have no changes to daily picture, US markets were closed yesterday, but still, we see some hint on retracement on daily time frame. In general, our trading plan remains the same - by some reasons I think that market still contunue move down to 1580 area - the 1.618 target of butterfly after some retracement up. But how deep this retracement will be - currently is difficult to say. We've pointed two potential levels on daily, based on harmonic swings. First is 1630, next is 1650 area.
gold_d_19_02_13.gif

Now on 4-hour time frame we have a sign that probably market will reach 1630 area at least. Here we see potential AB=CD pattern that comes in Agreement with K-resistance and WPP. Trend has turned bullish here.
gold_4h_19_02_13.gif

From daily point of view - we're bearish and want to get the level, where we can step in. We do not care much about this retracement. If you're scalp trader and want to make long trade here - I'm absolutely don't mind, but be sure where you will place your stop. If below the low - it is too far compares to potential profit. Below most recent swing low - you can meet downward AB-CD against you. So, situation with this retracement is tricky.
Besides, major risk of it - if market will fail with AB-CD and turn to Butterfly "Buy" on 4-hour chart as well. In this case it will have the same target as daily one - around 1580-1585.

Last edited:
Good morning,
so, on daily time frame Gold is still coiling around support and oversold level. Hence, our trading plan here is the same - wait a rally to sell into, and first level that this rally could reach is 1630 - 4-hour K-resistance and WPP, that has not been tested yet.
gold_d_20_02_13.gif

Today we will mostly focus on intraday charts. Recall that we've discussed yesterday. If you want to take long position be aware of AB=CD against you - that has happen. Gold likes to make deep retracement and it did. So is it safe to enter Long right now? It is at first glance - we have "222" Buy with 1.27 extension in our desirable area, what else to wait?
gold_4h_20_02_13.gif

Guys, this is the gold market. Take a look at 30-min chart. That is what I expect to see, nice trap - this could be 3-wave move down instead of just AB=CD. you thing that this will hardly happen? Take a look at first AB move - it consists of 3-waves down.
Gold likes to grab stops right around significant extremes, and we have it - significant low on daily hammer pattern. I expect that market will show 3rd wave down, and clear out stops below this area. This may be will not happen, but I probably either skip trade up or take long only on possible W&R of previous lows. Current move down is rather harmonic - equal retracements, equal swings down...
gold_30m_20_02_13.gif

So, what conclusion could be made here?
1. Positional traders - stay flat and wait for reaching of 1630 area first;
2. Long Scalpers - if want to enter right now, place stop below the level that I've specified, since it could W&R. Or wait for W&R and enter long based on it.
3. Short scalpers - do not use stop "Sell" order right below low on daily time frame. Reason is the same - that could be W&R.

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Thu 21, February 2013

Good morning,
well guys, unfortunately market has not given as opportunity to join ths party. We didn't get our pullback to 1630 area, only 2 days sideways action. Members of Fed Reserve have divided in opinion on continuation of easing program. One part of members have voted for continuation while other against. The lack of agreement, especially on the signs of improvement of US economy and lack of inflationary pressure has made its impact on gold prices. This comes not due inflation, but due possible improvement and growth in US economy. Although long-term bear trend is still intact, in short term context is bearish and we will continue to search possibility to enter short.
Next area to watch as a target of downmove - is monthly support and oversold and Yearly Pivot support 1 at 1530 area.
So, let's take a look at daily time frame - we've got move down as we've expected to 1.618 target of butterfly (although we couldn't join it), but butterlfy has failed - no reversal has come from its target. Butterfly is a such kind of pattern that if it fails - it fails miserably, i.e. move down could continue and it could be rather significant.
gold_d_21_02_13.gif

But is it time to sell right here? I don't think so. First, is - market at daily oversold, but most significant is a weekly chart - we are at 1.618 extension of AB-CD as well:
gold_w_21_02_13.gif

So, market at support and I prefer to get the rally to sell. If you would like to sell right here - ask yourself, where you will place your stop.

Now let's turn to another daily picture:
gold_d1_21_02_13.gif

Nice looking picture for DiNapoli direcitonal. That is what I will be looking for, particularly speaking - B&B "Sell" somewhere from 1605 area.

Last edited:
GOLD Daily Update, Fri 22, February 2013

Good morning,
as we've discussed yesterday - market stands at support, since has reached 1.618 AB-CD weekly target and daily oversold, and some bounce is possible.
If we will take a look at daily time frame, this bounce could be as far as 1611-1630 area - 50-61.8% retracement from previous swing. At least, particularly this distance market has moved, when it has hit 100% extension at oversold of the same AB=CD weekly pattern:
gold_d_22_02_13.gif

That could be nice setup for DiNapoli directional B&B "Sell", and that is what daily traders should keep an eye on. Since we've done with daily setup, what scalp traders could do?

Scalping context is bullish, since we at support on daily and 4-hour, hourly trends have turned bullish as well. On 4-hour chart we see fast recovery from the low. But don't be hasty and upset that you've missed the entry - you will get the second chance by two reasons. First, is - this is the first retracement up after hitting the weekly target and after solid move down. As a rule, these retracements are deep or even could re-test previous lows. Second reason - gold likes to do deep retracement (I hope you're not sick from this words yet). Usually market makes AB-CD retracement after first move up, since current acceleration looks too steep. That will be your chance. How deep this AB-CD will be is impossible to say right now, since it has not even started yet, but I better looking for 0.618-0.768 or even retesting of previous lows with W&R. That's also possible:
gold_4h_22_02_13.gif

On hourly chart trend is bullish as well. There was nice DRPO "Buy" when retracement just has started, but it has reached already it's target. Now we have ligthning bolt AB-CD in progress, although I do not like such kind of AB-CD's. I can't exclude that it could stop right at 0.618 extension (that is 1.618 of previous retracement as well), since CD leg is slower and turn to downward AB-CD, that sclapers will have to keep an eye on.
gold_1h_22_02_13.gif

Last edited:
How can i ever do tradng without forex peace army, u r the man guys, you made my life easy thanks for tech details always , never stop yur good work, i hate forex factory, this site is for professionals, from India, mr greet

The Curse of the Pharaoh strikes again. PHHHHUUUUUUUUUU......

Damn did I pick the wrong day to buy some physical gold.

At least my purchase resolved the waiting game regarding which way price would break out after consolidation. I think my purchases have resulted in price declines about 90% of the time, and this is the biggest drop I've seen just after buying. I was anticipating it going down $10-$20 (that's typical), but it's down more than $40 this time.

Oddly enough, this doesn't happen so reliably when I buy silver. When I do that, price usually only goes up or down modest amounts and the price direction only negative a little more often than positive.

Think I'll start selling info on my trades. Guess I should register "PharaohIsBuyingGoldTodaySoYouShouldShortItRightNow.com"

I've got an even better idea. All the gold supporters out there need to visit "GiveSomeGoldToPharaohSoHeDoesn'tBuyMoreAndMakeThePriceDrop.com"

Where did I put that bottle of Jack Daniels?

Back