GOLD PRO Weekly July 28-01 August, 2014

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
As Reuters reports, Gold rose on Friday, rebounding from the previous session's drop to a one-month low, as heightened tensions between Russia and the West over Ukraine prompted speculators to buy back their bearish bets ahead of the weekend. For the week, however, bullion posted a near 1-percent drop, its second consecutive weekly decline, as encouraging recent U.S. economic indicators lessened the metal's safe-haven appeal.
Gold prices climbed as Russia said the United States was trying to influence international opinion through unfounded insinuations and anti-Russian rhetoric over the crisis in Ukraine, while the Pentagon said the transfer of rocket systems from Russia to Ukrainian separatists appeared to be imminent.
"With the news flow coming out Russia and Ukraine and you don't know what's going to happen in Iraq, traders are buying gold as they don't want to get too exposed to geopolitical risks going into the weekend," said Robert Haworth, senior investment strategist at U.S. Bank Wealth Management's Private Client Reserve.
Weaker U.S. equities dragged by bellwether online retailer Amazon also lifted gold prices. The market awaited the release of July U.S. non-farm payrolls and the Federal Open Market Committee meeting, both scheduled for next week. Gold was down 0.7 percent this week, extending the previous week's 2 percent fall, mostly on speculation that an improving employment sector in the United States could signal an early rate increase by the Federal Reserve.
As a gauge of investor sentiment, holdings of the SPDR Gold Trust, the world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, fell 3.6 tonnes on Thursday - the biggest one-day drop in more than a month.

CFTC_Gold_22_07_14.gif
Well recent CFTC data shows nothing really new and significant. As OI as Net position stand flat at the FOMC meeting eve.
Monthly
Recent market mostly shows flat action, long term picture changes slowly. Despite solid upward action our bearish grabber is still valid and price should pass solid distance to change situation drastically. Situation could change only if market will move above 1400 area.
Right now gold stands under pressure of perpsectives of USD strength – good economy data first, that right now is confirmed by US companies earning reports, expectations on Fed more hawkish assessement of perspectives and finally, week physical demand – all these moments prevent gold appreciation. The only factor that could support gold somehow is gepolitical tensions. Previously we have turmoil in Iraq and Ukraine, now Israel and Palestine added.
Grabber pattern is important, but June, and especially July has blocked gradual downward action and white candles break the bearish harmony of recent action. Next upside important level is 1360 – Yearly pivot point. If market will move above it (not neccesary it will happen in July) – this could be an indication that gold will continue move higher and this really could become a breaking moment on gold market. Otherwise, grabber will be valid and potentially could lead price back at least to 1180 lows again.
That’s being said, situation on the monthly chart does not suggest yet taking long-term positions on gold, since everything could change on coming week. Still, fundamental picture is moderately bearish in long-term. Possible sanctions from EU and US could hurt their own economies (especially EU). Many analysts already have started to talk about it. It means that economies will start to loose upside pace and inflation will remain anemic. In such situations investors mostly invest in interest-bear assets, such as bonds. Inflation also will be depressed and this is negative sign for gold.

gold_m_28_07_14.png

Weekly
Due to solid events that we expect at the end of coming week, long-term picture does not change. As we’ve said previously - in nearest couple of week the major question will be whether gold will hold above 1335 or not. And now we stand at hot point. Usually reaching of minor target does not suggest deep retracement. If market is really bearish it should continue move down soon and 1335 level – 5/8 Fib resistance will become the last edge. Retracement above 5/8 level will be too deep for minor bounce after reaching just minor AB=CD target. Spot traders tell that as soon as market reaches this area – buying volume starts to decline significantly and this is also confirmed by recent CFTC data. Although on previous week market has shown not bad bounce down, but it still stands relatively close to 1335-1340 area and everything still could change.
It is difficult to comment just small new candle on weekly chart. We know that 5/8 resistance at 1335 is crucial for us and market already has confirmed it by downside action. Thus, we probably could say that the recent top is invalidation point for bearish setup in short-term perspective. Market should re-start move down or bearish trend or AB=CD pattern will be broken. In this case market theoretically could form butterfly “Sell” pattern.
gold_w_28_07_14.png

Daily
As you remember, week ago we have some concerns on possible upward continuation, but market one by one has erased all short-term opportunities for upside action and all potentials for bullish pattern. We already said that upward continuation has some weak moments. First is market failure at 1335 and inability to hold above it. This simultaneously points as on corrective nature of upward action as problems with further upward continuation, since plunge was really strong. Lack of physical demand on spot market… It is difficult to count on significant appreciation that demands breakout through strong levels without real big inflows. Closing of shorts can’t support rally for considerable period of time, especially it can’t push prices to new upward achievements. Although on Friday we saw attempt to break the situation and market even has formed bullish engulfing pattern right at MPP and 50% Fib support level. At the same time CFTC report does not show significant changes and looks like we should agree with others who explained this rally by escalation on geopolitical situation.
Thus nothing drastical has happened yet, but tactically now we have to get downward breakout and erasing of engulfing pattern before taking any short position. And of cause we mostly be focus on 1270 area first – MPS1 and oversold, since downside AB=CD target that we draw here stands too far yet.
gold_d_28_07_14.png

4-hour
Intraday charts shows short-term bullish setup. Despite what reason has triggered it, technically this is bounce up from daily 50% support and Agreement, since market also has reached minor 0.618 AB=CD target. Now is the question how long and far this bounce will be. On Friday price has reached K-resistance area, trend has turned bullish and we also have bullish MACD divergence. Ultimate retracement that will keep bearish setup intact stands at WPR1 and 1323 area Fib resistance, but it is prefferable that market stops somewhere around WPP. Currently I do not have any illusions on perspective of this upside motion due reasons that we’ve discussed in fundamental part of this research. Usually when geopolitical event triggers short-term reaction – it is unstable and short-term. Thus, in the beginning of the week let’s be focused on WPP and 1287 lows. In fact, to get confirmation of bearish stretngh we need to see daily engulfing pattern vanishing. First – keep watching on WPP and K-area. If market will turn down, this could be first sign of downward continuation and then we will start to monitor 1287 area. But if market will move higher – then next destination will be 1323-1325 level.
gold_4h_28_07_14.png

Conclusion:
Market has to breakout 1400 to change long-term situation significantly. Fundamentally situation is supportive to USD. Recent just up on Friday mostly was due escalation of geopolitical situation and closing of some positions on gold. Hardly this situation lasts for long period. Investors will prepare to FOMC meeting and NFP report on coming week.
Although currently retracement up does not look like menace for bears – it still could reach 1325 area without breaking bearish sentiment. On next week we will be watch for WPP and 1310 area first and then, depending on what direction will prevail – either 1325 area or 1287 lows and vanishing of short-term daily bullish pattern.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Tue 29, July 2014

Good morning,

Gold is still working with daily bullish engulfing pattern. Traders still tell about expectations of Fed and NFP and that physical demand stands week - only geopolitical tensions support gold market right now.

Currently we just can repeat what we've said in weekly research. We can't think about short position right now, because we need to get either completion of engulfing at 1325 area or it's failure. Right now market is doing an attempt to move higher:

gold_d_29_07_14.png

As we have discussed this is a question of 1310 K-resistance. If market will move above it - next destination will be 1325 - Agreement and WPR1, while if it will fail and move below WPP - this could be an early sign of possible bearish continuation.
gold_4h_29_07_14.png

So, since we can't enter short by far - all that we can do is to trade this engulfing pattern. That's all. But to trade it or not - this is another question...

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Wed 30, July 2014

Good morning,

fundamentally situation on gold is the same - geopolitical situation supports, physical demand is weak, economical situation supports USD and presses on gold...

Technically, we see that market was not able to pass through 1310 - that supports bearish normal action, when market hits minor target, bounces and then continues move down. Thus 1310 retracement is perfect to respect minor AB=CD target but also relatively small to not break bearish sentiment:

gold_d_30_07_14.png

On 4-hour chart we see confirmation of this. Market has failed to pass through K-resistance and WPP. This plunge was rather strong and it points on possible downward continuation. Recall, that our mid-term target stands around MPS1 at 1270 area...

gold_4h_30_07_14.png

On hourly chart you can see how bullish dynamic pressure works. Yesterday in video we have compared JPY weekly chart and this hourly gold. As market stand flat when trend has turned bearish - minimum target of this pattern is recent highs - and it was achieved. You can even recognize a butterfly here. So, something of that sort could appear on weekly JPY - watch for yesterday's gold video.
gold_1h_30_07_14.png

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Thu 31, July 2014

Good morning,

Recent data, as you probably understand, was not really supportive for gold.
Data on Wednesday also showed that the U.S. economy has rebounded sharply, with the gross domestic product expanding at a 4 percent annual rate in the second quarter, after shrinking at a revised 2.1 percent pace in the first.

"If data out of the United States continues to beat expectations, gold will come under further long liquidation," Swiss precious metals trader MKS Group said in a note.

"Technically, gold looks likely to continue to be range bound with the downside looking the most vulnerable."

Well, by taking a look at technical picture, we just can confirm our recent thoughts. Due to the reasons that we've mentioned many times already gold still has moderately bearish sentiment, mostly due lack of real physical demand. NFP, if they will be positive, could add more bearish pressure on gold prices. Situation could slightly change, when bullish seasonal trend will start - somewhere in late August.
Yesterday gold has returned right back down to 1290 support area. At the same time recent 3 days gold has a tendency on erasing bullish engulfing pattern and this looks bearish.
gold_d_31_07_14.png

On 4-hour chart our suggestion on recent plunge out from K-resistance area was correct and downward action continues. Market right now stands at WPS1.
gold_4h_31_07_14.png

We suggest that market will remain in the range on high wave pattern for today-tomorrow until NFP release:
gold_1h_31_07_14.png

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Fri 01, August 2014

Good morning,
well gold was not even able to stay flat at the eve of NFP, as we've suggested. Here we would like to point on just 1 moment:

Physical demand, however, failed to pick up in a robust way despite the price drop on Thursday, a dealer in Hong Kong said.

U.S. gold coin sales dropped about 40 percent in July from a month ago. Chinese gold jewellery demand fell for the first time in eight years in the second quarter and could drop as much as 20 percent in the full year, a leading precious metals consultancy said.

Spot gold is expected to slip to $1,271 as it has broken below a support at $1,284, Reuters technicals analyst Wang Tao said.

As you can see even political tensions can't support gold. 1270 is our target either.

Today we will not take a look on intraday charts, since it has not much sense before NFP. Daily chart shows everything that we want to see. Besides, gold now is mostly interesting from perspective of weekly patterns...

On daily chart gold in general confirms our major thought - without physical demand and growing strength and sentiment on USD - gold is doomed, at least in short term perspective. Recent action shows that current move down also could be a confirmation of long-term bearish patterns on monthly and weekly charts...
Speaking on daily chart - price has moved below WPS1, 50% Fib support and passed 0.618 AB=CD target. Also gold has erased bullish engulfing. Thus our bearish filters has been achieved and now gold has the only way to 1270 area - target of AB=CD pattern. Still, as CD leg looks much slower than AB, some bounce could follow from 1270 area... but this is a bit preliminary discussion.
gold_d_01_08_14.png

Last edited:
Hi Sive

You have funny daily chart...without last 5 days, hehe...

Not changes a lot...

Gold insight

Market is funny...sometimes is really hard to understand, lots of times impossible..bythebook patterns are rare so if one does not play breakout game it is hard to play the game..but I try hard..

Leg down from 1324,5 I read as ED, maybe as T3, that is why I expect (at least) one more leg down..
If ED I assume that wild move up from 1301 to 1315 is 1&2ED..behind one single H1 candle hidden PA is dangerous..is it Flat (remember M3 chart) or it is ZZ or will become DZZ on H4 later and move should bottom 3ED..atm I will treat it as ZZ and 3ED in place...
..move up is funny again, so impulsive but I read it as DZZ on H1 and top could be in place or price could spike a bit higher but should not pierce 1311 top if move down is 3ED but in none case 1315 high (IF move from 1315 to 1287 is 1ED)...
I expect 5ED to unfold as single ZZ with target zone 1272..
I draw also 2 possibilities for move up...first is as i read it, DZZ..price should come back to at least 1296 before higher...second, I do not like it at all, if this would be an impulse...then exceeding 1315 is more to expect but then also nice retrace to at least 38-50% of whole move up, added: or better, on the top peak of cF = b on Daily TF should find place and nice move down could come...

Have a nice Sunday and successful week ahead!

20140727_gold_H1_1458.jpg

Last edited:
..it is very big probabilitiy LL is in place as ZZ, an impulse, correction and ED..
..on H1 gold made swings down&up which could be 3/4/5 and either 3 or c on H4...below last H1 low 1301 (4th) it could stop and turn into 5th if an impulse or go to touch 1294 high if ZZ into DZZ..
New low would mean T3 as I expected first but honestly I am sceptical it would manage to bottom new low..think has changed market flow to upside..fact is that ED is not exactly nice one...

20140728_gold_H4_0740.jpg

ps
0807 CET
This thought of ugly ED made me think and here is how gold could bottom new low...

20140728_gold_h4_0806.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Sive

You have funny daily chart...without last 5 days, hehe...

Not changes a lot...

Oh, forgot to change link on file. Fixed, Thanks!

So, I see that you also suspect 1270 move and then reversal... But Mmax, how you could explain your bullish view on EUR and bearish on Gold. It seems that Fed will impact on USD and action as on EUR as on Gold will happen due USD mostly, but not by EUR and Gold per se... If, of cause, we will not get some geopolitical shake again...
Or I understand something wrong in your analysis?

Thanks, S.

Larry Williams Forecast 2014 - gold

Mr. Williams expects gold rising...looking for buy opportunity..

Yes, Sive, agree...Land of Confusion!

I think both will go up just gold might get delayed move because it went up so strong from 1240 low...maybe they are just adjusting...

I spoke and sent my bullish picture for gold weeks ago...there is that low which some brokers have as LL from very HH and some do not... this does not work so OR everything is really a lie and fake...I accept that 2 regulated brokers have not same price in exactly same moment but I do not accept that they have so different patterns which could as result bring hundreds of pips different shapes...although in same direction..

Here is my big picture..black x is that unacceptable low!..my chartist has LL, broker does not have it..I think we are in monthly swings so I believe we placed aF with 1391 high..we ought to be in 3 leg correction seen or at least felt on monthly..I can not say we make move above 1345 but could be expected..we could get also high above 1391 but would not change expected corrective shape.we will see how will develop on lower TFs..I expect new low below 1240 and start of more than a year move to hit 50% and lows on left as bFlat..
Instead of aF could be 1 of an impulse but I am sceptical...might be ZZ, although strange and do not like it as such, and we are D3 correction...
I put in chart also time projections..we will see how it works.

Sive, can not explain...just see it so..but I am adjusting my insights when levels are broken..

Hehe, enjoy....

20140728_gold_weekly_1038.jpg

Back