GOLD PRO Weekly June 09-13, 2014

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals

Gold prices were slightly lower on Friday as the dollar rose after a closely watched monthly U.S. jobs report underscored expectations of a steady recovery in the world's No. 1 economy, while platinum group metals were buoyed by strikes. Traders had held off taking new positions ahead of the data after a near 1-percent gold price rally in the previous session following new stimulus measures from the European Central Bank. While appetite for the metal initially picked up after the report, gains were capped by expectations that the Federal Reserve will continue to unwind its stimulus measures and that other assets will offer better returns, as well as the dollar's recovery. "There can't be a substantial price rebound without any meaningful investor or consumer buying," VTB Capital analyst Andrey Kryuchenkov said.
"Major players will remain on the sidelines for now. European investors would be putting money into blue-chip equities, while with improving risk sentiment there is even less incentive to invest in gold."
Nonfarm payrolls increased 217,000 last month, the Labor Department said on Friday, against expectations for a 218,000 rise, while data for March and April was revised to show 6,000 fewer jobs created than previously reported. The dollar initially fell after the report as U.S. Treasury yields dipped, but later rebounded. U.S. stocks rose.
Among other precious metals, platinum added to gains after South Africa's AMCU union president said the union's 12,500 rand ($1,200) per month wage demand was "non-negotiable", dashing hopes of a speedy resolution to a five-month strike. Spot platinum touched fresh August 2011 highs of $844 per ounce and was up 0.5 percent at $1,444 an ounce, while spot palladium was up 0.8 percent at $842.00 an ounce, on track for its fourth straight week of gains.
"If after further arbitration, the strike is not resolved the government has the option of declaring the strike illegal," HSBC said in a note. "The apparent stalemate has boosted platinum group metal prices but we are mindful that any bearish news could take prices lower, at least in the near term." Spot silver was down 0.11 percent at $18.98 an ounce, but the industrial metal put in its best week since mid-March.
Monthly
May right at the end has shown it’s power by solid plunge down. It could mean that bearish grabber that was formed 2 months earlier is taking it’s power. Also we’ve discussed possible bearish dynamic pressure here and now it looks as clear as never before. At the same time our reversal level here becomes farer and farer. Even if price will reach 1350 area – it will not change big picture. Situation could change only if market will move above 1400 area.
Grabber pattern and pressure is so important right now, because they provide direction for long-term perspective.
At the same time grabber has appeared right at Yearly Pivot Point – this is not best combination for bulls and could indicate reaction of the gold on Yearly pivot. Otherwords it could be a confirmation of bearish sentiment for the whole year. Grabber potentially strong pattern that could lead price back at least to 1180 lows again.
That’s being said recent action indicates that bears’ power is growing and may be market finally has turned to more active behavior. Besides, if we even will get any deeper retracement up - hardly it will change long-term picture. Currently, there are 3 major driving factors on gold - some unexpected geopolitical tensions, inflation and seasonal trend, i.e. spot demand. None of them show significant appreciation. Hence, it is very difficult to take bet on upward reversal on gold market by far. Even more, US fundamental data and seasonal trend now makes pressure impact on gold.

gold_m_09_06_14.png

Weekly
It is difficult to add something new to our analysis, because recent week was really small and it has not changed picture that we’ve discussed previously. Weekly chart is major one for gold right now. Mostly because it shows intermediate targets. Nearest target stands at 1236 area – just 10$ lower than the current market. This level probably will become the major one again. We thought that it should be reached on previous week, but this has not happened. By taking farer look – market could form AB=CD down to 1140$ area, because monthly grabber suggests taking out of previous lows and next nearest target below it is precisely AB=CD objective point.
And finally, guys, here could be even butterfly Buy pattern. It has even lower target – 1110$. At the same time guys, this area around 1000-1100$ will become an area of big demand. This is the breakeven cost of gold mining. Price will not be able to hold below this level for long period, otherwise it will be just unprofitable to mine gold… I dare to suggest that market could reach it at the end of the summer, when seasonal trend shifts bullish.

gold_w_09_06_14.png

Daily
Finally we reach daily chart. Trend is bearish here. Situation on daily is very tricky – partially because we do not have any clear patterns yet, partially due anemic action on previous week. I draw a lot of color lines here, so let’s find out their purpose here. First of all, guys take a look at downward AB=CD pattern and 0.618 extension target that gold has broken 2 weeks ago. This was not just minor AB=CD extension but also major 5/8 Fib support, i.e. we had an Agreement and market has passed through it without any respect. This fact just tells us how weak market is and this is also confirmed by recent talks from analysts that demand in general anemic for gold. SPDR fund assets stand around lows, just 10 tonnes higher from absolute minimum. This level in June coincides with MPP that has not been tested yet. As market has tendency to re-test strong levels that were broken without respect – I suspect this could become the target of possible retracement up – 1270 area of MPP.
Next line is red – 1.618 extension of butterfly pattern. As we’ve talked previously, market turns to upside bounce on ECB speech but has not quite reached as butterfly as AB=CD weekly 0.618 extension target around 1236$. It means that market hardly will show deep bounce prior reaching of 1236 area, so be careful with any long position if you have it. This is always very dangerous to go long right above untouched target.
Finally, next target will be probably combination of MPS1 and AB=CD destination around 1214-1218 area.
gold_d_09_06_14.png

4-hour
And the last one – 4hour chart. Here we clearly can see how price hovers above 1236 area. Market has shown tenuous bounce but suddenly it has stopped on Friday as no sufficient demand on market by far. Here we could get 2 possible scenarios. First is appearing something like Double bottom pattern, if market will return right back down, show W&R of previous lows and hit 1236 level finally. Second – gold will form some AB=CD pattern right tno 1265-1270 area and test MPP. Personally, guys, knowing gold’s cunning and habits, I would bet on first scenario.
We can’t also exclude that market will form some other patterns a bit later, say, butterfly “Buy”, but right now we will monitor coiling around 1236 area.
gold_4h_09_06_14.png

Conclusion:
Market has to breakout either 1400 to change long-term situation significantly. On previous week market has turned to fast action and has done as much as we have expected form it during much longer time. Thus, we’ve got as bearish grabber as dynamic pressure that point on reaching at least of recent lows around 1180s. But potentially, gold could reach deeper levels.
In short-term perspective, may be gold market is not as interesting and active as it was before. But we have to keep an eye on it, since this is quite “responsible moment” on gold market right now and we can’t exclude it from our eyeshot. Soon market could give us a context for taking position. Our trading plan suggests reaching of 1236 support area and following upward bounce to ~1270 area. This could become a level where we will start to think about short entry.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

GBP/USD Daily Update, Tue 10, June 2014

Good morning,
today we again have to replace gold update with some of FX currency, mostly because gold shows no action yet. And I've chosen GBP. We've stopped talking about it at crucial moment, right when GBP has shown upward action prior reaching of AB=CD target. This has happened due couple of reasons - ECB first and NFP second.

So, guys, does it mean that we have cloudless bullish perspective? I'm not sure and there are 2 reasons for that. First is the same - unclompleted AB=CD target. Second - rock hard resistance where market stands right now. It includes MPP and daily K-resistance plus some intraday targets that create an Agreement with this level. As you understand this is rather dangerous fork for any bullish startup. As DiNapoli points - K-area and especially Agreement with it becomes a directional pattern by itself. Thus, I wouldn't bet on upward contination by far:

gbp_d_10_06_14.png

On 4-hour chart trend is bearish and we see that this is also 1.618 AB=CD target and butterfly "Sell" pattern. Key level to watch here is WPP. As soon as market will break it down - that will open the road to 1.6668 target on daily chart:
gbp_4h_10_06_14.png

On hourly chart we can see pennant and even recongnize possible butterfly inside of it, but this easily could become a trap. I saw it many times, when continuation pattern that has appeared right below solid support becomes a reversal one and market shows breakout in opposite direction.
So, what I would like to say is that market probably has not done yet with downward action. If price will move below WPP, I can't exclude that we even could think about taking short position...
gbp_1h_10_06_14.png

Last edited:
GBP/USD Daily Update, Wed 11, Junel 2014

Good morning,
today we again will take a look at cable since situation here is changing and it is more active rather than gold market.

Thus, we've got this downward action that we've discussed yesterday and strong resistance has shown it's power. Right now on daily we can identify two opposite patterns. First is bearish dynamic pressure that suggests taking out of previous lows and reaching of AB=CD target. Second - bullish grabber. This pattern has not been confirmed yet, since current session is still in progress. And this pattern is not my favorite one. We prefer to deal with patterns that stands in the direction of previous thrust, but here we have bearish move and bullish grabber. This pattern is weaker and has more probability of failure. Besides, existence of untouched AB=CD target probably has more value and I suspect that it could overrule this grabber:

gbp_d_11_06_14.png

On 4-hour chart price has moved below WPP, i.e. sentiment has shifted bearish. We've said that if this will happen - we can try to take short position and sell some rally. Trend is bearish here:
gbp_4h_11_06_14.png

Now, why this rally is possible? Hourly chart shows the reason. Market has reached 5/8 Fib support and has formed DRPO "Buy" pattern that has target right at WPP. For us this is major area to watch. Because we want to see that market will keep bearish sentiment. So, if it will just re-test WPP and turn down - that would be perfect scenario. Second, this level is also long-term support/resistance area. Thus, re-testing of it looks logical.
gbp_1h_11_06_14.png

Also, guys, its not forbidden to deal with DRPO and grabber as well directly. But this is a bit "lower time frames" setup. As we are focused on daily analysis - for us this DRPO and possible upward rally is just a tool for taking short position, but not an object for trading per se.

Last edited:
GBP/USD Daily Update, Thu 12, June 2014

Good morning,
initially I've thought to make an update on Gold, but situation on GBP has changed significantly and I've decided once again pay attention to GBP.

On daily chart situation stands very tricky. Recall that our long-term context is bullish and current move down is just a reaction on completion of butterfly "Sell" pattern. Thus, upward action should continue sooner or later. But right now cable has formed bullish grabber and this is the core of the trick. Theoretically we can't ignore and forget about downward AB=CD that was not completed yet, as we've talked previously. Also strong daily resistance that has stopped market in the beginning of the week is still here. Thus, market has chance to form butterfly "buy" that has 1.27 extension precisely at the same area where AB-CD does.
But grabber... it suggests taking out of previous highs and erasing of this butterfly. Even more, in this case chances on reaching AB=CD target will decrease significantly and market could form another upward butterfly that will lead GBP right back to tops.
Hence, today we should watch for grabber target and whether downward butterfly will survive or not:

gbp_d_12_06_14.png

On 4-hour chart we see another smaller patterns. This is upward AB=CD and potential for another smaller upward Butterfly. These targets stand very close to WPR1 as well.
gbp_4h_12_06_14.png

Hourly chart shows what we've discussed yesterday. DRPO has worked perfect, but it has not stopped at our predefined target around WPP and continues move up. Actually we didn't get our entry, since market has reached this WPP by just 1 candle and has not formed any reversal patterns there.
gbp_1h_12_06_14.png

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Fri 13, June 2014

Good morning,
finally we can talk about Gold. Today I've decided to pay attention to it, since it finally has reached level that we've specified as possible target of short-term retracement - 1275.
gold_d_13_06_14.png

This level is significant, because if gold will pass through it - it could continue move up right to 1335-1350 area again. If this level will hold market - that just wil confirm bearish sentiment, since re-testing of previously broken support is very typical for gold. Right now we stand not just near MPP. This is also natural support/resistance area and K-resistance level. THis is some kind of quality test - whether bearish trend is still intact or right now market mostly gravitates to deeper upward action:
gold_4h_13_06_14.png

Hourly chart shows as additional moments. It appears that this is also an Agreement with 1.618 AB=CD pattern.
gold_1h_13_06_14.png

So, since we at resistance - wait for bounce down, if you're bullish. IF you're bearish - wait, when market will break support line and form reversal swing. It will be safer to enter at some intraday rally, may be market will make "kiss goodbye" for trend line. But better do not try to enter short right now. Market just has reached this resistance and we have to signs yet to undertand its further reaction.

Last edited:
Well more interesting than euro..for sure! direction can overule trend..and it seems that fundamentals can overule your technicals Sive!? I think there's just too much money going on England to win the world cup! ;) If Cable retraces back down from here I will watch 1.6780 area to join the Big Party!? ;-)

Hi Sive Morten sir thank for gold daily update, I have Crab pattern with down channel in h4 chart can I use it as reversal pattern for sell if I found reversal candle in h4 chart…….. thanks 8UWzXYr.png

Hi Sive Morten sir thank for gold daily update, I have Crab pattern with down channel in h4 chart can I use it as reversal pattern for sell if I found reversal candle in h4 chart…….. thanks View attachment 15151

Hi,
I prefer to trade "sell" patterns at tops, while here we have "sell" pattern at the bottom. Still, its target coincides with resistance and may be it will work. At the same time, I probably will stand with my opinion - we need to see some confirmation of bearish reversal, say, reversal swing and trend line breakout, before taking short position.

Back