GOLD PRO Weekly June 10-14, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals

Generally the past week didn’t care any drastical fundamental changes for gold market. Actually it has just confirmed what we’ve said previously concerning major environment on gold market. Overall bearish long-term sentiment still holds, despite all attempts to show upward bounce. Gold price is continuing to be a function of inflation and US economy condition. While inflation is anemic and no signs of its increasing yet and US economy shows sign of improving – gold market will be under pressure. If we surplus bearish seasonal trend then the chances that we will some drastical changes here in nearest perspective almost equal to zero.
Thus, economy added 175,000 jobs in May after adding just 149,000 in April, reducing hopes of prolonged stimulus. This has become another puzzle in overall pressure picture on gold prices as inflation-hedged asset. “Gold fell around 2 percent on Friday, its biggest one-day drop in over three weeks, as funds dumped bullion after resilient U.S. jobs data suggested the Federal Reserve could begin to scale back its monetary stimulus later this year” - Reuters said. As a result gold within 1 trading session has erased appreciation of the whole week. Gold now stands under seasonal pressure that was even exacerbated by Indian government. Officials in the world's biggest bullion consumer, India, continued efforts to curb gold imports on Friday, with the Reserve Bank of India extending restrictions on loans against security of gold coins per customer to all co-operative banks.
CFTC report shows that on previous week as long positions as short positions have contracted, but net long one has increased a bit. Open interest has decreased as well. We see typical action for bear trend for the third consecutive week – while net long position slightly increasing, open interest comes opposite and shows decreasing.
On next week we should be careful with CFTC report. Particularly we need to see growing of open interest if net long position will decrease. That will give us confidence that technically bear trend still holds.

CFTC_Gold_07_06_13.gif

SPDR fund continues to loose physical holdings and total amount of gold has decreased here. This stands in a row with long-term bear trend.
SPDR_vs_OI.gif

Price_vs_OI.gif

Monthly
June candle is rather small, since too little time has passed since the beginning. May candle was inside one to April and as May candle has closed now can really take a look at possibility of Volatility Breakout (VOB) pattern. This pattern usually provides solid reliability, since it based not on some price averaging as other indicators but on statistical measure of standard deviation, i.e. on volatility. This is in fact the core of the market’s breath and if we can call it in this way – some statistical law that could lead to significant consequences.
Now we have VOB setup here. Market never was as oversold as it stands now. Take a look at DOSC indicator again – market now stands at all time extreme point that is lower than the previous extreme value in 2008. This gives us very significant conclusion that will be hard to overvalue. Usually when market forms VOB it leads to 2-leg downward move in some shape of AB-CD, but not necessary that AB should be equal to CD. The minimum target of VOB is 0.618 extension of AB-CD, where AB – initial swing down that has given VOB. Other words – now market is forming AB move. Then some retracement up should follow and then downward continuation, i.e. extension.
So two significant conclusions could be made here: whatever bounce market will show here – this probably will be just retracement but not a reversal. Second – market probably will reach some deeper support level and closest one stands around 1200. Also here you can see what I mean when talk about extreme oversold on monthly and why it is unsafe to take as a target some too extended points. Particularly – why we should use as target previous lows. See, May was not able to exceed April lows, although it has shown nice downward action. The same probably could happen in June. As summer has started, the volatility can reduce and June could become inside month for May as well – some kind of nested doll. And all this stuff is due oversold…

gold_m_10_06_13.png

Weekly

On weekly time frame you can see impact of oversold on monthly. Once we’ve said that if you even take short position on weekly – do not point the target below previous lows, since market extremely oversold. Thus, we can see here that price can’t move lower and stand in the range of April sell-off.
Very often such significant moves, as we’ve got on April forces market to stand in its range for some time. It looks like market accommodates for new range, trying to understand what is going on. Here we have particularly this case. Six weeks in a row market stands in the range of April sell-off. Two previous weeks action was not impressive and market mostly was indecision and has formed high wave candle. Still market gives us one very significant moment. Price has tested MPP and moved below it. So, it confirms long-term bearish sentiment. Following pivot points application, market probably should start move to MPS1 that stands precisely at current lows.
The most action should happen when market will pass through either upper border 1500 or lower one – 1320. But as we can see on monthly chart – gold can stand in consolidation rather long time. Besides, price hardly will easily pass through 1320 due oversold, as I said. There is only one way how it could happen. Fundamental factors that hunt gold in extreme oversold conditions – the same factors could continue to dominate over technical moments, but it is very difficult to predict. Currently it looks their impact gradually becomes lighter. So, most probable some kind of range behavior, at least within nearest 2-3 months due summer time and bearish seasonal trend. I can’t exclude that despite overall bearish context we might be interesting with searching possibility even for short-term long entry around 1320 with some short-term targets.
gold_w_10_06_13.png

Daily
Price action on daily time frame is very exemplary. Within previous two weeks we’ve pointed that action is not typical for trend motion but mostly looks like contraction phase and retracement. During recent week market just goes nowhere and has built energy. Sooner or later this type of action leads to expansion, i.e. some fast acceleration in one or other direction. Due to the overall behavior we mostly bet on downward action and that has happened.

Currently we have couple of significant moments here. Pay attention how this move down has started – by wash & rinse of previous highs on day before. This was a butterfly “Sell” on intraday charts. As a result by single move down market has erased and engulfed two-week range. Market has created all conditions for our conservative tactics for short entry, and most important thing – it has passed through 1390 area of support. That is what we would like to see and that is what gives us necessary confidence with starting to search possibility for short entry. Potential target is 1340 area – minor AB-CD target, but in general the area of 1320 current year lows.
gold_d_10_06_13.png

4-hour
Although it is a bit difficult to say right now whether market will show bounce up right on Monday or will hit WPS1 first, but anyway it makes sense to watch for 1395 as suitable level for short entry. This level combines three different types of resistance – Fib level, natural level that market could re-test after breakout and WPP. Market could show bounce to 1406, since gold likes to show 5/8 retracements, but we do not want to see return back to highs around 1425. If retracement will stop around 1395 – that will be perfect.

gold_4h_10_06_13.png

1-hour
Here we have a bit more information. Market has reached ultimate 1.27 butterfly “sell” target. Move down was rather fast so it has given us nice thrust that looks suitable for DiNapoli directionals. Either DRPO “Buy” or B&B “Sell” patterns will give us great assistance with short entry with small risk. I prefer to get B&B somewhere from 1392-1395 area. But if this will be DRPO “Buy” – first this will give oportunity for scalpers to make scalp long trade with target around 1395-1397 and second – positional traders will get better level for entry.
gold_1h_10_06_13.png

Conclusion:
Technically and fundamentally gold market stands in long-term bearish motion, but extreme oversold level on monthly time frame puts limitations on positions and targets that we can get on lower time frames. That’s why currently it is very dangerous trying to keep shorts significantly below current lows around 1320. By May close we’ve got VOB pattern that gives us forecast for long-term price behavior and promise compounded downward move in shape of some AB-CD.
On short-term charts market finally has shown the action that we’ve needed to start search a possibility for short entry. This possibility could be realized by either B&B “Sell” or DRPO “Buy” DiNapoli directional patterns on hourly chart.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Gold Daily Update, Tue 11, June 2013

Good morning,
on daily time frame there is nothing new to comment, so our analysis here is still intact - we expect downward continuation and should search the possibility to enter short on lower time frames. Potential target is an area around previous swing low 1320-1330:

gold_d_11_06_13.png

But on intraday chart we have some new valuable issues. First of all, on 4-hour chart we have bearish stop grabber of my favorite type of appearing - in the direction of previous trend. This pattern comes in some contradiction with initial thought of deeper upward retracement to 1390-1405 area, where WPP and 5/8 resistance stands. That's the first pattern that we can trade today. IF you would like to take short position based on it - you do not need to take too far stop, since invalidation point of this pattern is its high. Minimum target is 1375 low but market could continue move down and use this pattern just as a triggering one for continuation:
gold_4h_11_06_13.png

The major risk for this position comes from potential reverse H&S on hourly chart. Previously we've discussed the possibility of appearing DRPO "Buy" and we've got the Look-alike pattern (LAL). It has been confirmed but has too much bars between 3x3 DMA crossing. Second - I do not like the price action after confirmation. This is not the type that I want to see after DRPO, and currently I can't treat it as DRPO any more. Since market was not able to show action as it was suggested by DRPO, it shows how heavy it is. Thus, due to this reasons I mostly take bet on 4-hour stop grabber pattern.
The one pattern that could be formed here is reverse H&S, that could lead market to WPP or even to 1405 and get us the retracement that we've discussed previously. So, if you will take short by stop grabber and will be stopped out, next level to watch for short oportunity is 1400-1405.
gold_1h_11_06_13.png

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Wed 12, June 2013

Good morning,
as we've talked yesterday market looks heavy and was not able to show any retracement after Friday's down move. Now market has tested WPS1 and is showing shy up bounce. But what is really interesting - price has formed bullish stop grabber that has target at previous highs 1423. It is difficult to make comment on this and even more difficult to take bet on this event, since currently I do not see any confirmation of this move and any patterns on lower time frames. It is too early to think about it probably.
But what is really could happen is some retracement up.
gold_d_12_06_13.png

On 4-hour chart we see that market has not tested yet WPP and 5/8 Fib resistance also stands around. Since we know that price tends to test pivot within a week with solid probability and we also know that gold likes to show deep retracement - this move does not look absolutely impossible. The one thing that worries me is that we do not see any reversal patterns yet.
Also market stands at WPS1 and 1.618 extension from previous tops.
gold_4h_12_06_13.png

On hourly chart I see nothing except solid bullish divergence with MACD right at WPS1.
gold_1h_12_06_13.png

So, what trades could be done here? First is, if you're bullish and what to take long position - here you have not bad chances, since market at support and formed bullish pattern on daily. I do not know whether price will reach 1423 high or not, but reaching of WPP looks probable, if upward action will happen at all.
If you're bearish, then you have an oposite plan - wait reaching of higher resistance level to search for reversal patterns and possibility to enter short. First one probably is 1395-1397 area.
Personally I do not want to take long position. It doesn't mean that it definitely will not work. I just do not want to go against price action that I see on daily where price action is really heavy. So my choice is to wait higher levels and then see, will we get chances to enter short or not. May be I will change my mind if we will get some more bullish signs later.

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Thu 13, June 2013

Good morning,
so, there are less and less reasons to speak about short position here. Now we have two side by side bullish stop grabbers on daily time frame. Theoretical target of this patterns is 1423 highs. Since now upward action have fundamental reasons as well, we can't exclude this totally.
Yesterday we've said that bearish context will not be totally vanished, if market will reach WPP and test it. By this action price simulteniously re-test broken natural support/resistance line. So this has happened and now market is flirting around. But now we have significant fundamental context that has led to 19% drop on Japanese stock market yesterday. With this circumstances we can't take short position here. Probably we can return to this idea if market will take out lows of stop grabbers.
gold_d_13_06_13.png

On 4-hour chart trend is bullish as well. Take a look that market has formed greater upward swing that previous swing down. Usually it becomes first sign of potential reversal and further upward action. Current resistance is WPP and 5/8 Fib level.
gold_4h_13_06_13.png

Hourly chart is more interesting for us. And in fact it allows us to apply DiNapoli "Minesweeper B" tactic, if we will get some retracement. The level to watch for is K-support and previous swing high 1381-1383. In red circles are invalidation points of our daily stop grabbers. Market should hold above them. If they will be broken, then bullish context will be destroyed. Potential targets are 1397 - 1.618 extension of current AB-CD and 1425 - daily stop grabber target.
gold_1h_13_06_13.png

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Fri 14, June 2013

Good morning,
situation on gold market gives nice oportunities for scalp trades. But first, let's take a look at daily picture. Here we have another stop grabber - third in a row. By classical approach we have mostly bearish development - downward thrust, retracement, continuation and appearing of bearish flag. By DiNapoli framework we have bullish context - trend holds bullish and we have potentially bullish patterns.
Thus, our treatement of daily time frame is the same - until stop grabbers will not be vanished, we will be focus on upward move. Only if market will take out it's lows and break flag down - we will return to bearish context.
gold_d_14_06_13.png

On 4-hour chart we have another bullish stop grabber. that have shyer target - around 1401 and this pattern can be a trigger for AB=CD action here. Also it looks attractive, since it has closer invalidation point and gives another oportunity for long entry if you occasionally have missed it yesterday:
gold_4h_14_06_13.png

On hourly chart although market has shown slightly deeper retracement, right to 5/8 major support (gold again has confirmed that it likes 5/8 retracements), but lows of both daily stop grabber holds.
But today we could focus purely on most recent pattern. In nearest time market can show AB-CD retracement to 1380 5/8 support of 4-hour stop grabber swing. This will be the chance to enter Long against it's lows (blue circle). Because market already has shown neccesary retracement. If it will move right back again - that probably will become starting of bearish action.
gold_1h_14_06_13.png

Last edited:
Hello Mr. Morten,

What is the difference between the red line indicator and the green one on the hourly time frame?

Hello Mr. Morten,

What is the difference between the red line indicator and the green one on the hourly time frame?

Green is a simple MA shifted forward for 3 periods, so called 3x3 DMA (Displaced MA), while red one is MACD Predictor. It shows the price level at which MACD lines will cross, i.e. trend breakeven point by MACD.

Green is a simple MA shifted forward for 3 periods, so called 3x3 DMA (Displaced MA), while red one is MACD Predictor. It shows the price level at which MACD lines will cross, i.e. trend breakeven point by MACD.

Thank you. It's clear for me now

Hi Sive, thanks once again. please, how do i get the MACD Predictor line?

Back