How have breakout strategies performed over the last decade?

Fibarchie

Recruit
FPA Forums Team Note: This folder is for non-commercial discussions. Please discuss free breakout ideas and strategies here. If you want to discuss commercial products regarding breakouts, open a thread in the Financial Companies Comparisons and Discussions folder.

Hello Forum Members,

I hope this message finds you all well. I am an experienced trader with a background in developing and implementing breakout trading strategies. Over a decade ago, I successfully developed an automated breakout trading system that garnered interest from investors. Unfortunately due to market conditions as soon as we went live it failed to make profits. Such is life :)

I am now in the process of revisiting and fine-tuning my trading strategies after a period of hiatus. I am particularly interested in understanding how breakout trading strategies have performed in the forex markets over the past 10 years (from 2013 to the present).

A bit about my background: I have a strong foundation in algorithmic trading and have successfully implemented strategies in the forex market. My previous endeavors involved a master system that sent trade signals via FTP to client systems, allowing for both automated and manual execution of trades. The strategy initially showed promise but faced challenges when it went live, prompting me to make adjustments, especially in trade sizing and risk management. My company name was Fibarchie.

I am reaching out to this community to seek insights, experiences, and any valuable information regarding breakout trading performance in the forex market from 2013 to the present. If you have come across research articles, academic studies, or have personal experiences to share regarding the effectiveness of breakout trading strategies during this period, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Specifically, I am interested in:

1. How breakout trading strategies have performed in different market conditions.
  2. Insights into risk management practices for breakout strategies.
  3. Any notable changes or trends in breakout trading effectiveness over the years.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. Looking forward to engaging in fruitful discussions with fellow traders!

Best regards,David

I think the success largely depends on market context and the trader's ability to adapt to changing market conditions.From 2013 until now, breakout trading in the forex market has been up and down. It works well when the market is really moving or changing a lot, but not so much when things are steady. Over the years, how well these strategies work has changed, with more focus now on managing risks smartly and keeping up with how the market changes.

I think the success largely depends on market context and the trader's ability to adapt to changing market conditions.From 2013 until now, breakout trading in the forex market has been up and down. It works well when the market is really moving or changing a lot, but not so much when things are steady. Over the years, how well these strategies work has changed, with more focus now on managing risks smartly and keeping up with how the market changes.
Thanks for the reply. My system did manage risk well, so much so that the trades got so small that my investors pulled out to put their capital to better use. My strategy now will be to sell the indicators and trading signals.

Good to know your risk handling was on point. Tough luck with the investors, but your new plan to sell signals and indicators seems promising. Wishing you all the best with it!

Good to know your risk handling was on point. Tough luck with the investors, but your new plan to sell signals and indicators seems promising. Wishing you all the best with it!
Thanks, where would be the best place to put my trades now? I was using twitter before but it seems to have changed into a toxic environment.

I think It's a good idea to try other websites or apps for talking about trading and sharing information to find out about it, even though I use Twitter.

Back