Spreads on the initial hours of Sunday market opening

p1p1n

Private
I had 15 pips spread on Swissy. I thought spread would widen to max 4-5 pips on swissy. Is this kind of 15 pips large spread normal during market opening hours considering swissy is one of the major pairs ?

Bad news I had a stop loss which was executed with a slippage of 12 pips because of this.

Gaps and crazy spreads at market opening after the weekend are always a big danger. Letting a trade stay open with a tight SL over the weekend has a very good chance of getting your trade closed with big slippage.

For tight stops, it's better to close everything an hour or two before the market closes on Friday afternoon. When the market reopens, you can reassess whether you want to get back in after things settle down.

That's pretty clear that you should not keep trades open throughout the weekend.
Just wait until things settle down a bit then make your moves.

It is possible to hold over the weekend, but this is something you should never do with large trades or trades with tight stops. You also should never do this until you've observed how your broker's prices and spreads react to market close/market open over a period of at least a few months.

Back