FOREX PRO Weekly April 08-12, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
On big picture we see price bounce from support. It is difficult to say whether this reaction on yearly pivot or on 50% support level – anyway bounce has started, we’ve talked about it much in our day-by-day analysis. Still, probably this should be treated just as retracement, because we need breakout of 1.3710 highs to speak again about bull trend. Until this will not happen – price action will remain just retracement. Besides, nobody has cancelled bearish engulfing pattern and I see nothing curious with this minor bounce. If you will take a look at engulfing patterns, especially on long-term charts, you’ll see that in most cases some at least small retracement happens after pattern has been completed. And here we have support right below it. As the conclusion of monthly analysis we can say that we have bearish pattern that points on long-term perspective down to 1.25 area. Hence current bounce could be used as a rally to Sell into. As a result, our major task is to estimate where this retracement rally could finish and determine potential entry point on lower time frames.

eur_m_08_04_13.png

Weekly
Trend is bearish here, market is not at oversold. On the first glance situation looks slightly confusing. Market is bouncing somewhere between significant targets – it slightly has not reached major 5/8 support and has stopped prior the end of harmonic swing. At the same time current level includes yearly pivot point area, MPS1 and monthly 50% support. This probably was enough to hold price for some time. Now I do not want to speak about re-testing of disrespected K-support area, since this almost has happened. Currently on the week chart I’m interesting with two moments. First is current tendency and second is – bullish engulfing pattern.
Despite how bearish market is on daily time frame, take a look it has not broken yet major bullish tendency here and it is still forming higher highs and higher lows. Current low is higher than previous one. And to speak strictly, we can say that long-term bear trend is re-established only if market will move below 5/8 major support here and previous low. This is first moment.
Second moment is current bullish engulfing pattern. It has two consequences. It limits us with our bearish ambitions, since until it will not been cancelled, theoretically context will remain bullish. Another possible consequence is shown on weekly #2 chart could take at least the shape of H&S.

eur_w_08_04_13.png

Yes, it might be some kind of H&S pattern. Although I think that H&S pattern has to appear on significant tops but here we do not have any, but the price action that could take the shape of H&S. Despite whether we would call it as H&S or not, it just means that retracement could reach as far as 1.3260 area – 50% resistance of whole current downward move (by applying the harmony). And we know that EUR likes 50% level most of all others.
eur_w1_08_04_13.png

There is no contradiction between monthly and weekly setups. Current combination just means that downward continuation due monthly pattern could start from higher price – where weekly bullish pattern will exhaust and reach its target. Since we trade on daily chart and intraday, for us this means that we are bullish in short term until target will be hit or bullish engulfing pattern will be vanished by breaking through its low.
Daily
So, we’ve decided that in short term perspective market probably is more bullish rather than bearish. On daily time frame trend is up and price action confirms it by nice jump right to overbought condition and MPR1. This probably was a barrier and has prevented market from reaching double of harmonic swing. We know that price at resistance and we should be ready for some pullback in the beginning of the week, especially if we take into consideration new WPP at 1.2925.
Interesting is that 3 harmonic swings up points on the same 1.3250 area as on weekly chart. But before that there is another major 3/8 resistance at 1.3217, double of harmonic swing and WPR1 – that probably will be target for the first part of current week, or even for the whole week.
eur_d_08_04_13.png

4-hour
Here we finally have got another bullish confirmation – upward breakout from tendency. Still there is another additional moment to watch – moving above previous swing high. This will finally confirm short-term upward reversal.
eur_4h_08_04_13.png

60-min
And here is a level for potential long entry. Although we can get higher Fib levels from most recent swing up, but we’re at daily overbought, so some deeper retracment could follow. From that point of view 1.2930 looks attractive as first area to watch for buying opportunity. This is WPP and 3/8 support level. If market will show this move – it simultaneously will become re-testing of broken upper border of the channel on 4-hour chart.
eur_1h_08_04_13.png

Conclusion:
Despite the moment that long-term picture is bearish, in short-term perspective market looks bullish and gives hints that it could show deeper retracement up. Probable target on current week will be 1.3120 area, while a bit extended target could be 1.3250.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update, Tue 09, April 2013

Good morning,
so guys, looks like EUR is coming to life again. Market almost has reached double of upward harmonic swing, but I suspect that this is not the end yet. As we've discussed EUR could reach as far as 50% major resistance around 1.3250 area and current action on EUR/JPY gives me more confidence with it. I've decided that tomorrow we will speak about EUR/JPY, since price action is really thrilling there.
Still, since this is first reversal swing up, market has reached MPR1 and creeps with overbought and bearish momentum is solid - we have to be ready for deep retracement. EUR likes 50% retracements most of all:
eur_d_09_04_13.png

On 4-hour chart we've got another confirmation of serious challenge on upward continuation - market has taken out previous swing high and formed upward swing that is greater than previous downward swing. This is minimum neccesary condition to treat current action as short-term reversal:
eur_4h_09_04_13.png

Logical price action suggests possible retesting of broken trend line. On hourly chart we see exhausting pattern that is accompanied by divergence with MACD right at resistance - Butterfly or wedge, as you better like it. I prefer to see retracement to major 50%-K-support area around WPP and MPP. That area also includes broken trend line of the channel and 1.27-1.618 targets of Butterfly.
eur_1h_09_04_13.png

Thus, I think we should wait a pullback somewhere around of this area and search possibility to enter Long.

Last edited:
EUR/JPY Daily Update, Wed 10, April 2013

Good morning,
as we've decided let's take a look at EUR but in relation to JPY. Price action here is rather attractive by two reasons. First is because we have perfect and clear patterns here, and second is - we have a chance to deal with setup that very rare could be met - I'm telling about "VOB" - Volatility Breakout.
If you remember 2-3 weeks ago I've briefly mentioned about DRPO "Sell" on weekly chart. Thus, I've taken short with it, but when I've seen that it could even reach AB=CD target of the tops of this pattern - it all has become clear - market will show opposite move. This move has started rather fast and DRPO has shifted to Butterfly "Sell". Since current upward move of butterfly very fast, I think that market is not done yet with it, and move will continue to 1.618 target:
eur_d_10_04_13.png

But I hope that this will happen after some retracement, at least minor one, since we at 1.27 target of the butterfly pattern. This is the first setup.
The additional part of this setup is another pattern, if we can call it in this way - VOB. Take a look, how market exceeds overbought line. This is not just slight penetration - this is creation of new overbought level and that is VOB. Joe DiNapoli gives common rule how to trade it:
Wait when initial thrust will fade out whenever it will be;
then wait first retracement. Since market is overextended retracement will be probably deep - 0.5-0.618 of the VOB thrust;
Buy this deep and take probit at minor 0.618 target of AB-CD pattern that is based on VOB thrust.
In general - that is our trading plan. But since I do not have great experience with trading VOB on EUR/JPY, I do not know exactly what level to watch as retracement destination:
eur_4h_10_04_13.png

Probably I would better watch for K-support area around 126-126.30. Because if we will measure 0.618 extension from it - we will get the same area as 1.618 extension of Butterfly, that, as we've suggested, should be reached.
Another moment that adds complexity is that we do not have any reversal pattern by far. Once I've thought that it will be DRPO "Sell" but we do not have it yet. May be when we'll get the pattern, we will better understand what level retracement will reach.
Anyway - this is very interesting setup and it is worthy of our attention. By the way, mostly due current situation on EUR/JPY I expect retracement and then continuation to 1.3250 on EUR/USD...

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Thu 11, April 2013

Good morning,
Price action on EUR/USD was relatively calm yesterday. On daily time frame market has reached the resistance - 3/8 Fib resistance+Overbought, WPR1 and double harmonic swing. Theoretically we have context for DiNapoli directional bearish "Stretch" pattern that has target around 1.2950-1.2960 area. To trade it or not - this is a question of other sort, but the major conclusion - do not enter long right now.
Besides, market has formed initial reversal swing after long bearish action. Downward momentum is strong and the rule tells that we should wait for AB=CD retracement after initial reversal swing up. Since EUR likes 50% retracements - this level coincides with theoretical Stretch destination:
eur_d_11_04_13.png

But on intraday charst situation is more blur, mostly due lack of clear patterns. On 4-hour chart I see only single possibility as DRPO "Sell" LAL, but choppy action closer to the top is not very good for this pattern. Still, I see nothing more hear. Potential retracement probably should reach an area around 1.29-1.2930

eur_4h_11_04_13.png

On hourly chart we have butterfly or even 3-Drive Sell, but price action rather choppy and does not provide any valuable add-on for clear assessement overall situation.
eur_1h_11_04_13.png

Thus, wait for 50-61.8% retracement to take Long position and decide - will you deal with Stretch pattern or not.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Fri 12, April 2013

Good morning,
market has shown not impressive action yesterday. In fact, on daily time frame it still stands at solid resistance that includes - Fib resistance (K-area), WPR1, double harmonic swing target and overbought (2 days ago). Thus, it's not the time to take any long position, at least from probability point of view. Whether we have to go short? Sonds logically, but the same problem as yesterday exists - we do not have any triggering pattern yet:
eur_d_12_04_13.png

On 4-hour chart trend has turned bearish, we see divergence and suspicious upward channel, but nothing more. Potential retracement target is 1.29 or 50% support around 1.2940-1.2950 area.
eur_4h_12_04_13.png

On hourly chart situation looks better, here and there are some signs of weakness - divergence, breakout of bearish wedge, re-testing of lower line, but again - all these signs are relative, no pattern still.
eur_1h_12_04_13.png

I don't know, may be we will get some kind of H&S, but today is Friday, so it could happen in the beginning of the next week.
So, my thought is - no Longs till 1.29-1.2950 area, wait a pattern for scalp short entry.

Last edited:
Hi Sive. What about some charts show that EUR/USD dropped to 1,2920 just after market closed yesterday? You think this is possible although most of trading platforms show 1,2990?

Hi Sive. What about some charts show that EUR/USD dropped to 1,2920 just after market closed yesterday? You think this is possible although most of trading platforms show 1,2990?
Well about 10 minutes to American close Friday it came out that Portugal's constitutional court ruled against some but not all austerity measures. May be a gap down on Asia open. I will be interested in seeing a gap down and where it is. Definitely a possibility for long entry if held by fib levels.

Also Sive please don't let the drop in numbers deter you. I believe the market chop for the past two weeks has discouraged some people. Also other pairs like the EUR/JPY and other JPY crosses may have become more interesting to some who are able to apply dinapoli techniques. They are majorly trending right now.

Back