FOREX PRO WEEKLY December 09-13, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
As Reuters reports the dollar rose against the yen on Friday after stronger-than-expected U.S. jobs data raised chances the Federal Reserve may start paring its bond buying program sooner than expected. U.S. employers added 203,000 new jobs in November and the jobless rate fell to a five-year low of 7.0 percent, the Labor Department said. As we know the central bank has been buying $85 billion in Treasury and mortgage-backed bonds each month to hold long-term borrowing costs down in a bid to spur a stronger economic recovery. A reduction in these purchases would lift U.S. bond yields, boosting the dollar.
The dollar last traded 1 percent higher at 102.84 yen, its strongest daily gain since Nov. 21. It earlier hit a session peak of 102.96 yen, not far from a six-month high of 103.37 yen set earlier in the week. "A strong overall report, strong details as well. It keeps the December tapering risk alive from the Federal Reserve," said Richard Franulovich, senior currency strategist at Westpac in New York. Still, some analysts doubted the report was strong enough to push the Fed to move when policymakers meet on Dec. 17-18. Many said the central bank was still likely to hold off reducing its purchases until January or March to ensure the economy was on solid ground. "We feel this is consistent with material improvement as regards unemployment, however, we’ve seen no improvement yet in participation," said Michael Woolfolk, senior currency strategist at BNY Mellon in New York. "Non-farm payrolls number is probably not enough to persuade the Fed to taper in December. We still think the earliest they move is March."
Economists believe the Fed will probably not want to pull back on its stimulus before lawmakers on Capitol Hill strike a deal to fund the government. That could come as soon as next week, however. Congressional aides have said negotiators were down to the final details as they tried to close a deal. The dollar continues to be driven by equity markets rather than the fixed income market," said Sebastien Galy, foreign exchange strategist at Societe Generale in New York. "That is why the U.S. dollar and New Zealand dollar are rising even as the broad dollar is mixed," he said.
Currency speculators trimmed their bets in favor of the U.S. dollar in the latest week, according to data from the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and Thomson Reuters released on Friday. The value of the dollar's net long position slipped to $19.85 billion in the week ended Dec. 3, from $20.39 billion the week before. It was, however, the fifth straight week of long positions in the U.S. dollar. (The Reuters calculation for the aggregate U.S. dollar position is derived from net positions of International Monetary Market speculators in the yen, euro, British pound, Swiss franc, Canadian and Australian dollars.
Technical
I was thinking what pair to choose for today’s weekly research and have decided that JPY is most interesting right now. It does not mean that we ignore the EUR, but by taking a look at it I see that we still do not have any reversal pattern there. Thus we can wait a bit more and take a look at JPY meantime. Every time frame on JPY is very interesting right now. So let’s start from monthly, as usual.
Let’s take a look at contracted JPY chart first. Here is some very tricky moment hidden and if you careful enough you could find him. First of all, we see that 101.50 area is long-term natural support/resistance line. Sometimes market has pierced it significantly but this line holds. Now we also see that on previous touch market has pierced it as well, but has not broken it. No price stands slightly higher than the line that I’ve drawn, but still lower than previous high. It means that market has not passed through this resistance yet, although at first glance it seems the opposite is true. Now I would ask you – what do you expect to happen when you have natural resistance line and slightly higher solid Fib resistance level? Will chances on true breakout of resistance be greater or smaller? Market could loss a lot of momentum on struggle against natural level and then it will meet Fib resistance. This situation starts to smell as possible W&R or even failure breakout. That’s why it’s very interesting. Anything could happen of cause, but if price will swamp and form some reversal pattern in 101.50-105.5 area this could trigger solid retracement down.

jpy_m_09_12_13.png

How definitely it could happen? Now let’s see on second monthly picture. Recent retracement down after first touch of 101.50 resistance has not quite reached 3/8 Fib support and it means that all bullish steam is still in the pot. This moment relatively was confirmed by November solid upward continuation. And one of possible patterns that could be formed here is DRPO “Sell”. 101.50 level is not as strong right now as it was at first challenge, thus market has not bad chances to pass through it but once it will happen, market immediately will meet solid 5/8 Fib resistance that has not been tested yet. And I’m not sure that market will have enough power to break it at the first touch. Simultaneously price will create higher top that is preferable for DRPO pattern. DRPO itself will assume retracement to 90 area at minimum. From technical point of view this possible deep retracement looks reasonable, since we have first upward bounce since 2006. So, as you can see situation on JPY is really thrilling and definitely worthy of our attention within nearest 2-3 months.
jpy_m1_09_12_13.png

Weekly
Although weekly chart does not care any signal for immediate trading, overall picture here is important. Trend is bullish here, but market stands near weekly overbought. I’ve drawn a butterfly pattern here, but in general we can treat this just as extension of retracement that will create a resistance around 106.30 area. This is not curcial issue right now, since this level stands beyond overbought area but in perspective of 2-3 months it could become more important for our analsyis. May be market will shift to 1.27 H&S pattern that will be look like DRPO on monthly, since we know that butterfies very often become an initial part of H&S. That could give as big assistance as well, since we will be able to trade potential DRPO based on butterfly and not to wait confirmation of DRPO itself. We’ll see...
jpy_w_09_12_13.png

Daily
Daily chart carries its own solid trading setup. While it is a long way to 105.75 area still, in short term market could show a reaction on solid resistance cluster that we have here. Take a look – 2 different targets of different butterflies coincide at 103-103.10 area. Slightly higher, around 103.60 we have AB=CD target. All these stuff could be hit and respect triggered by DRPO “Sell” pattern again. As market has not reached even 101.17 Fib support level and continued move higher – we can’t count on B&B. Hence the only pattern that we could get here is DRPO “Sell” or… right, its failure, but anyway DRPO. Here is again nice chances to see greater second top of DRPO before any move down will start. Particularly this retracement (if it will happen, of cause) could become a basis for further upward run on monthly chart to 105.70 -106 area.
jpy_d_09_12_13.png

60-min
I do not know guys, how precisely market will continue move to daily 103.80 target, but dare to suggest that it should be some reversal pattern that is based on extension, since target stands above current price. Take a look that WPR1 coincides with this daily AB-CD target. For example, market could show butterfly “Sell” that has 1.27 extension 20 pips higher. If this pattern will be formed this will hit all targets on daily chart and could trigger a daily DRPO “Sell” that is what we want to see. In fact we’re not as interesting with upward continuation and how daily targets will be hit as with short entry based on daily pattern and in longer perspective – long entry with monthly upward continuation. Still may be situation on hourly chart will become useful for somebody.
jpy_1h_09_12_13.png

Conclusion:
So, guys, I hope you‘re not confused and overloaded with multiple DRPO’s and butterflies almost on all time frames. To make understanding easier let’s structure consequences of events.
1. In long term perspective we expect possible continuation to 105.70 area – major 5/8 Fib resistance on monthly chart and possible monthly DRPO “Sell” (or DRPO Failure – this is also possible) could become culmination of long-term setup. It could trigger move down to 90 area at minimum – 15 point on JPY. DRPO looks very probable by two reasons. First is existence side-by-side two solid resistance levels of different kind. Second – solid previous bearish momentum. Usually market shows deep retracement right after first swing up – and this is precisely what we see on monthly chart.
2. In shorter-term we have another resistance area that is based on daily patterns – 2 butterflies, WPR1 and AB=CD target. Respect to this area also could be triggered by daily DRPO pattern. Here we will try to trade it down first and then, use this retracement for long entry. It is very probable that if DRPO will take place, market will re-test 100.00 area.
So, as you can see potential is impressive on all time frames, but how it will be realized by the market – that’s the question.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

USD/JPY Daily Update, Tue 10, December 2013

Good morning,
today we again will talk about JPY since it cares more breaking trading oportunities right now than EUR. Speaking about EUR... guys, I can't exclude that we're on the way to 1.44 area. I'll explain my point of view in next weekly research, because I've just taken brief look at it and still need some scrutiny view.
Now to JPY... Yen is approaching to our short-term culmination point - 103.50 daily target and possible appearing of DRPO "Sell'. Now market already has shown slightly greater second top, but not quite reached 103.50 level yet. If DRPO will really be formed - then possible downward retracement could reach 100-100.50 level:
jpy_d_10_12_13.png

On hourly chart we've expected to get some retracement, but it has not happened. Anyway, market now stands right below 103.50 target and is forming butterfly "Sell" pattern. 1.27 target has been hit already, now price is on the way to 1.618.
jpy_1h_10_12_13.png

So, there are 2 possible ways to deal with daily DRPO. First is more risky but with best entry point. It assumes taking short position right at 1.618 top of butterfly with stop somewhere above daily AB-CD 103.50 target. Stop probably should be around 103.65-103.70 at minimum. This entry scenario has more risk, since we do not have confirmed DRPO yet on our back.
Second scenario is based purely on daily DRPO. We need to wait move down and close below 3x3 DMA - get confirmed pattern. And searching for short oportunity after that. Probably both of these ways could be combined.

Last edited:
USD/JPY Daily Update, Wed 11, December 2013

Good morning,
I'm sorry guys, but I just can't ignore Yen by far, since it has most interesting setup in short-term perspective. On daily chart is nothing new by far. Here is only one moment that makes me worry - market has not tested 103.50 AB-CD target. Thus either market will still reach it, or, it also could be the reason - we should draw AB-CD from a bit different A point, that stands few pips higher, since move has started not from absolute low. Sometimes this could be the reason, but I can't bet on this. Anyway, all that we need on daily is DRPO confirmation.
jpy_d_11_12_13.png

Currently market has reached nearest Fib support and WPP. IF you will take close look at 4-hour chart, you'll see that this could be B&B "Buy" pattern, if market has started move up a bit earlier. Right now we have 6 periods below 3x3 already. But until market holds above current lows and this support - upward bounce is possible. This is second setup on JPY right now.
jpy_4h_11_12_13.png

Target of possible bounce (if it will happen, of cause) stands at 103.05-103.10 around 5/8 Fib resistance. Invalidation point - current lows.

Picture on hourly chart also gives a hint that upward bounce is possible. Market ha formed bullish grabber pattern that suggests move at minimum to 102.95 highs.
jpy_1h_11_12_13.png

Currently it is difficult to pormise anything, whether this move up will happen or not, but we could focus on downward continuation only if market will pass through WPP and current support. In this case it will erase all short-term bullish setups.
This stuff cares nothing interesting for daily chart, since there we only wait for DRPO confirmation, but may be it will be useful for scalp traders.

Last edited:
USD/JPY Daily Update, Thu 12, December 2013

Good morning,
again, guys, nothing interesting across the board, may be on CAD we could get B&B "Buy" but it is also doesn't look really impressive. So, Yen still stands on the road with possible DRPO, but untouched 103.50 target is disturbing factor that does not let us to relax and enjoy action to the downside. The risk still exists that market could return right back up, erase DRPO setup and hit 103.50 area. Thus, if you hold shorts tight stops. Daily picture is still the same:
jpy_d_12_12_13.png

On 4-hour chart we have great coiling around 5/8 Fib support and WPP:
jpy_4h_12_12_13.png

And if we will take a look at hourly chart, we will undertsand what is going on. Market has completed AB=CD down and now shows the respect, logical bounce after it. Theoretically, even retracement to 5/8 Fib resistance around 102.90 will normal. Currently it is very difficult to identify any pattern that could point on clear retracement target. May be this will be reverse H&S, 3-Drive sell, or something of that sort. But whatever it will be, price should not exceed 102.90-103 area. If market will return right back to 103.10+, then it could suggest high risk of erasing bearish setup. So, current retracement up is our major concern right now.
jpy_1h_12_12_13.png

Last edited:
USD/JPY Daily Update, Fri 13, December 2013

Good morning,
well guys, as we've started from JPY, let's finish with it as well. Besides, I see nothing interesting on market right now. I do not know how for you, but for me this was poor week. Not in term of profit/loss, but mostly in term of setups. Anyway, on JPY our warnings about existing of 103.50 target that has not been hit, were approved by price action. Our DRPO has not failed but has not been even formed, since we do not have second close below 3x3. Hence, no pattern. Theoretically, if market will show fast and big plunge, we could get DRPO look-alike. But let's talk about it when and if we'll get it:

jpy_d_13_12_13.png

One thing that I see right now is just shy scalp possibility on 4-hour chart. As 103.50-104 is solid resistance - daily AB=CD, 4-hour AB=CD, WPR1, MPR1, then, some bounce down is possible. If this really will happen - we could get B&B "Buy". But the potential of this trade is not very significant -about 45-60 pips. Nothing more unforunately. Let's hope that market's productivity of trading setups will be greater on next week...
jpy_4h_13_12_13.png

On weekend we will return right back to EUR.

Last edited:
Got it captain .. this pair can reverse at 103.60 area .. and we trigger sell when daily candle close below the 3x3

Last edited:
I have been watching this as well (and also on GBPJPY) and watching for double repo sell if we hit a new high and then get a second daily close below 3x3. Very happy to see it being taken up this week.

Hello

Before market opening eurusd gapped higher and hit 1st target (62%) for 5th wave; 20 is very near so might be hit; this could be top but it might whipsaw again down to1,3612 top and unfold move as ED; below Thursday low I think down move would be confirmed.

Good trading!

KIWI

Jyotiprakash Pal suggested to pay attention to nzdusd around 0,8330.
I think kiwi really could topped bFlat, there is nice agreement @0,8315, 20 is magnet and 30 is near.

Good trading!

sive

is it possible that we have a 3-drive SELL on H1? i attached the chart to show the levels hit. there are also 2 harmonic structures better visible on higher TFs (one of which some people call 'shark') all completing at key levels where price is currently coiling at MPR1.

forgot to add that if we look at the bollinger band std 2, we get 2 possibilities at this point:

1- spike up to DPR1 and trend line of upper channel, which will push price into standard deviation extreme also coinciding with fib projections from ABCDs (visible on the left in black) and this usually is followed by drop to mid bollinger line (yellow), or

2- we get drop from levels shown in chart as we have non-bullish candles already appearing right at MPR1, 3-drive SELL, 78.6% fib hit (not shown) from most recent daily top.

or am i imagining things?

i bet first target at daily pivot = 3675.

Attachments

• EURSUD_H1.jpg
    EURSUD_H1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 37
Back