FOREX PRO WEEKLY January 20-24, 2014

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
As Reuters reports, the dollar rose on Friday, pushing the euro to a seven-week low, after fresh U.S. data supported the view the world's largest economy is improving enough to keep the Federal Reserve's stimulus-reducing measures on track. U.S. industrial output rose at its fastest clip in 3-1/2 years in the fourth quarter, data showed Friday. Housing starts dropped 9.8 percent in December, the largest percentage decline since April, but housing starts were coming off a multi-year high in November. The dollar index, a gauge of the dollar's value versus six major currencies, rose 0.4 percent to 81.232. In afternoon trading, the yen was keeping pace with the dollar, as the greenback traded down 0.03 percent to 104.31 yen.
"Overall, the U.S. economy is making steady, if uneven, progress and that should keep intact expectations for sustained Fed tapering this year," said Joe Manimbo, senior market analyst at Western Union Business Solutions in Washington. "U.S. Treasury yields haven't budged much, so as long as they hold near their elevated levels, that should continue to underpin the dollar."
Traders said part of the drop could be technical in nature, as the euro fell below its 100-day moving average of $1.3563. But they also pointed to the pickup in the U.S. economy. "Fundamentally we're more negative on the euro than the U.S. We think the euro should weaken," said Shaun Osborne, chief foreign exchange strategist at TD Securities in Toronto. "There's been some tightness in the funding markets (in the euro zone) over the turn of the year and that's resulted in some upward movement in short-term interest rates. And that's probably being reflected in the exchange rate to a degree," he said.
"In our G-10 valuation table it is the New Zealand dollar that now tops the list as the most over-valued currency," Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ analyst Derek Halpenny said. "Given how well priced an RBNZ rate hike is this year, we would not expect strong buying from current levels if the RBNZ does hike this year."

Technical
Monthly chart finally starts to take some shape. Most recent decrease could give us engulfing pattern that will provide us with two advantages. First is – pattern could trigger downward move and second – invalidation point will become clearer and definite. But still, there is two weeks till the end of January.
Rest of analysis still stands the same. Appearing of YPP=1.3475 in current situation could play significant part on our analysis. As we know that price always gravitates to pivot, this moment significantly increases the probability of more extended move down in short-term perspective.
Although we see solid downward action right now, but since monthly time frame is really big picture – this move has no drastical value yet. Most important here is recent 3-4 candles. Previously we’ve said that until market stands around current highs and above 1.33 chances on upward continuation still exists.
If we will follow to market mechanics, we’ll see that currently market should not show any solid retracement down. Any move of this kind should be treated as market weakness and it will increase probability of reversal. Take a look that as market has hit minor 0.618 AB-CD extension target right at rock hard resistance – Fib level and Agreement and former yearly PR1, it has shown reasonable bounce down and now it has tested it again. As retracement after 0.618 target already has happened, it is unlogical and unreasonable to see another deep bounce and it will look suspicious. Right now market still stands on the edge here. From one point of view price has failed to break up, but from another one – it still stands very close to previous highs. Thus, by looking at monthly chart we can’t say yet that price has reversed down already. This time frame can’t point us long-term direction yet, although MACD trend holds bullish. At the same time appearing of bearish engulfing pattern could shed more bearish light on monthly situation, we’ll see...

eur_m_20_01_14.png

Weekly
Here we have inside week as well. Trend is bearish. In general, our long-term analysis here still the same, since nothing has changed yet.
As EUR still holds around previous highs it’s very difficult to say “this is definitely reversal” or “this is definitely continuation”. Here we have to estimate clear conditions when we can treat price action as reversal and when it will be continuation. Signs and patterns that EUR shows us now have more bearish sentiment, rather than bullish. Here what we have – Butterfly “Sell” is forming right around major monthly resistance, price still can’t pass through it. Current AB-CD pattern has reached minor 0.618 target, but CD leg is much flatter than AB and this is the sign of weakness. On previous week trend has turned bearish and we’ve got bearish divergence here right at monthly resistance. As previous move down was solid and in fact, engulfs the action of previous 4-5 weeks, chances on reaching butterfly target become blur.
Our ideal criteria of reversal was to see butterfly completion and then – move below 1.33 lows. By looking at current action I’m not as sure with butterfly’s completion. Thus, we need at least move below 1.33 lows. In this case we will get reversal swing on weekly chart that could become at least something that could confirm downward ambitions.
Conversely, to speak about upward continuation, we need to get fulfilling of two conditions as well – market should coil around previous tops without significant retracement, and second – move above 1.3980 – butterfly 1.27 target. In this case next target will be right around 1.43-1.44 – weekly AB-CD, Yearly PR1 and butterfly 1.618. While market will stand inside of specified ranges – we can trade it based on lower time frame (daily and hourly) patterns and setups.
In shorter term, we can make two major conculsions here. First one is - engulfing pattern has been triggered by price, since it has moved under it’s low. Now we can start to speak about extension and possible targets. Second – market now stands below MPS1. If it will hold there and price will finish January below it – this moment will suggest further downward continuation. So, watch for this moment closely.
eur_w_20_01_14.png

Daily
Daily picture looks clear enough. Our stop grabber has worked well and we were right on entry point around 1.3650 as it was really solid resistance area. Market has stopped its move down due 5/8 major support level. Still, as market stands slightly above minor 0.618 Fib extension, price should reach it in nearest future.
At the same time it is not much sense to discuss next target, since it stands beyond daily oversold. Thus, our major object is 1.3475 area – Yearly Pivot point, WPS1, AB-CD target and look – daily oversold. This sounds impressive. So, may be we will lucky and market will give us another possibility for short entry or add to existed position.
eur_d_20_01_14.png

4-hour
Here trend is bearish as well. We have another pattern that makes support around 1.3450-1.3475 area even stronger – this is potentially reversal Butterfly “buy” pattern, that has 1.618 extension in the same area. And yes, smaller AB=CD stands in the same area.
eur_4h_20_01_14.png

1-hour
So as we expect shy bounce up, current situation on hourly chart looks very promising. First of all, we have thurst down that is suitable for DiNapoli either DRPO or B&B. Now we need just watch what it will be. If we will get DRPO, then most probable level that market could reach is WPP, 1.3580 Fib resistance. IF we will get B&B “Sell”, then I would mostly watch for 1.3555-1.3565 Fib levels.
eur_1h_20_01_14.png

Conclusion:
Despite all positive recent USD data action on EUR does not suggest yet total and final reversal. Price still coiling around edge point and currently chances exist as for upward breakout as for downward reversal, although in recent time downward direction has become dominate. To rely on direction whatever it will be, we need to get clear patterns that could confirm it and point extended targets for us. But we do not have them yet.
Until this will not happen, we probably will have to deal with scalp fast trades on daily chart and lower ones. Thus, approximately we can assume that move above current highs will suggest upward continuation, while breakout below 1.33 will be first sign of possible downward reversal on long-term charts.
In shorter-term perspective market shows solid move down that probably will continue. Appearing of Yearly PP around 1.3475 makes it’s reaching very probable. Thus, in the beginning of the week we expect shy upward bounce where, as we’ve suggested downward action to Yearly Pivot (1.3475) could be re-established. That is our short-term view.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update Tue 21, January 2014

Good morning,
Yesterday market has started retracement up that we've discussed in our weekly research. Overall bearish setup still valid and in nearest time we should be ready for downward continuation to 1.3450-1.3475 area of yearly pivot:

eur_d_21_01_14.png

At the same time I'm quite sure that current upward retracement has finished already. The major reason is that WPP has not been tested yet. On hourly chart we also have got DRPO "Buy" pattern, thus, it could lead price to 2-leg compounded retracement.
On 4-hour chart we have the same butterfly. Current retracement up is response on daily 5/8 Fib support and 1.27 Butterfly target. Although market is trying to show a kind of bearish dynamic pressure - it is too few candles yet here. Still we can't exclude that downward action will be re-established right now. This is also possible
eur_4h_21_01_14.png

As we've talked in weekly research - we could get either B&B or DRPO as triggering pattern for upward retracement. So we've got perfect latter pattern. It has hit the minor target - 50% resistance of DRPO thrust. But, as I've said, as WPP has not been tested yet I can't exclude possible AB=CD action still. In this case it will give us Agreement with major 5/8 Fib resistance and WPP. Also butterfly "sell" could appear here.
eur_1h_21_01_14.png

If you already have taken short position - think about placing stop above 1.36 area, since if even market will show AB=CD it will not vanish bearish setup. Other words this upward move will be absolutely normal in current situation.
So, since now we stand in a bit tricky situation, because currently we can't predict definitely - whether market already has re-established move down, or it will show AB-CD up still. In such cases most reasonable strategy is to apply scale-in. Take small short position, if price will reach 1.3595 - add major part.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Wed 22, January 2014

Good morning,
So, EUR has accomplished required retracement up, but still is forming kind of bearish flag on daily time frame. Although our targets here stand the same, price could spend a bit more time inside the flag. Major reason why it could happen is that EUR has not quite reached WPP:
Despite this moment, all other issues are perfect.
eur_d_22_01_14.png

On 4-hour chart we see reaction on 1.27 Butterfly target - AB=CD retracement that creates an Agreement with 50% Fib resistance level. This is an area that is suitable for short entry. Next target stands around 1.3450-1.3475 area:
eur_4h_22_01_14.png

Meantime, here you can see that price has not reached WPP. So, this is some sort of risk factor for us. It is not very awful, since if even market will spend a bit more time inside daily flag - it should not create too extended new high. Most probable action (if price will not start to move down right now) is appearing of the same type zig-zag here to the upside with touching WPP. Or, price could form small Butterfly "sell" say, on 15-min chart. Anyway, it means that if you've entered short - keep your stop above 1.36 area and move to breakeven only if price will pass ~35-40 pips in your favor. Since right now market gives us insufficient information when downward breakout will happen.
eur_1h_22_01_14.png

Theoretically major points were achieved - upward AB=CD right to 50% Fib resistance, but WPP has not been tested and this is a risk factor of some final spike up.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Thu 23, January 2014

Good morning,
on daily chart our expectation of downward continuation lasts a bit longer that we would want it, but nothing drastical has happened and our plan is still valid, bearish setup is still of interest at this time. Targets are the same:

eur_d_23_01_14.png

On 4-hour chart we see particular upward action that we've discussed yesterday. Still price has not reached Pivot :). Anyway, current action up is sufficient and enough as respect of 1.27 butterfly target. Simple setup here is the same - market should not move above 1.3605-1.3610, WPP, since this will stand against normal bearish development.
Also, market here looks a bit heavy. Although we can't call it as pure Dynamic pressure, since price hardly but forming higher lows and highs, but this is not the type of action that is typical for normal bullish trend. Market stands mostly flat rather than growing. This points on possible soon downward continuation.
eur_4h_23_01_14.png

On hourly chart price stands in upward channel, but price action inside of it mostly typical for retracement action, but not for trend - no thrust, no impulse up. So, if price will form here, say butterfly, it's target will stand again around the same 1.3475 area. It looks like breakout should happen soon, may be even today-tomorrow.
eur_1h_23_01_14.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Fri 24, January 2014

Good morning,
yesterday as Gold as EUR has shown drastical upward action, that, unfortunately we couldn't foreseen any how, since this action has come from data that was released on US and especially on China's economy chill out. I suppose that reaction was not on data per se, but this has taken some special meaning at the eve of FOMC meating 28-29 Jan and US Debt Ceil discussion on 7th Feb.
In general as more illogical action as more it points on strong, or even drastical changes on market. Here we have something of that sort, because bearish setup was crushed absolutely impudently. Thus what we've got now: market has not even reached minor 0.618 extension, moved above WPR1 and almost has created (and probably will create) upward reversal swing here. This could lead to serious consequences. Somehow, when I've seen this reversal I've recalled that it was a bit curious to me to see that reversal down has happened prior reaching 1.27 target of weekly butterfly. So, I can't exclude that price really could follow up with some AB-CD pattern, we'll see... Still, until we do not have clear big picture yet, we will focus on short-term intraday trades, if we will find any:

eur_d_24_01_14.png

Since current action just has finished, hardly we will find something to trade today. All that I see now is potential for DiNapoli B&B or DRPO on 4-hour chart and possible reverse H&S.
So, we will take a look at bigger picture in weekly research and decide what to do next...
eur_4h_24_01_14.png

Last edited:
Hello

Sive, excellent observations and analysis!

Here is my picture, TF M30, labeling H2 dark blue, H4 red and Daily blue
- I agree that there is more bearish chances and probable downward continuation after establishing some neccessary highs
- I can not say what pattern will come out but I expect cDaily as 5 waves impulse c leg of flat correction as seen atm, maybe later I will have to reevalute; I can not treat this move down, from 1,36983 high, as 3rd leg of an impulse because it is too anemic, usually is most powerful leg but is not excluded continuatin to South
- it is possible that this upmove is 2nd leg of ending diagonal but should be higher&wider, price must enter above 1,3580 and if we move to the right whole day will just make better pattern
- there is possible butterfly D @1,3575/85 and bump, if will occure, and conforming 1,3580 low or not, might suggest next direction

Good trading!

20140121_eurusd_M30_0845.jpg

09.15:
to me this looks like nice flat correction with possible extension to 262 @1,3511 (but not neccessary); break below last LL would mean continuation; if low is in place 100% expansion would satisfy all criteras but hitting 1,3620 would be better and also daily swing would be in place

20140121_eurusd_M30_0921.jpg

12.10:
German ZEW pushed the price below last low so now looks like DZZ developing; y and low MIGHT be in place as hidden wave on M5&15 but I expect low on M30 so new push down could be ahead
As pattern developes also 5th wave on H4 could be in play as ending diagonal with 1st target at 1,34486, 2nd @1,3375...

20140121_eurusd_M30_1215.jpg

Decision is close! I will not be surprised with fast down acceleation but only to establish new low at 62 expansion @1,3511..break above 50% could mean at least temporary low is in place..

20140121_eurusd_M30_1513.jpg

I excluded flat pattern, this move up is not motive wave, yet, maybe in progress but then we go higher; could be anything, either for down either for up...I bet for long..

20140121_eurusd_M30_1603.jpg

ps: except in case of DZZ as 1st leg of flat?!

Last edited:
Based on M5&15 one more push up is to expect
I count this leg as corrective and could be 2nd of flat what would mean pullback maybe into new low or price will stay in this leg, touch maybe 1,3532 which I treat as first abc on M15 and will proceed in second abc against target, enetering above 1,3580
Touching 1,3546, or maybe even 1,3550, before new high could mean temporary top is already in place

20140121_eurusd_M30_1811.jpg

The simpliest count would be blue one on M15, establishing peak y of DZZ with W&R and retrace below 1,35346, but somehow I do not like it and that is why I added red option...M5 is total mess, on M30 and higher price action is hiding behind the candles..
I have enough for today, have a nice day and good trading!

20140121_eurusd_M30_2105.jpg

Attachments

• 20140121_eurusd_M30_2055.jpg
    20140121_eurusd_M30_2055.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back