FOREX PRO Weekly July 22-26, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
On monthly chart we do not see significant move during previous week, but still, overall action here looks significant. Although by now price movements look mostly as indecision, since market stands in tight range of flag consolidation and has formed two opposite candles with symmetrical oposite breakouts of the flag. Current failure downward breakout is more significant, because it shows that previous bullish trap has not worked and take a look where this has happened – right at yearly pivot point and 50% Fib support. Now market gradually moves to the upper border of the flag and the major drama will be played around it.
Although monthly chart right now can’t help us much in day-by-day trading, since until price stands it 1.29-1.33 range we can rely only on lower time frames and search patterns and context for trading here. Monthly chart could give us a signal or direction only when price will out of this range.
When this will happen targets to the downside remain the same – minimum target stands the same area around Yearly Pivot support 1 and preavious lows 1.2150-1.23. Potentially this probably will trigger downward action by huge AB=CD pattern that has minor 0.618 target and will challenge 1.1875 lows around all time major 50% support.
If market will continue move up, then it could lead to appearing of AB=CD pattern and challenging of yearly pivot resistance 1 area.
Still by current action here, it seems that advantage on the bull side, because bearish fake breakout has not worked and market has not continued move down. Even more, price slowly but creeping and creeping higher.

eur_m_22_07_13.png

Weekly
Well guys, weekly chart could become a real bomb in a medium-term perspective. But first, let’s take a look at picture that we get over to. I hope that everybody remember H&S pattern on weekly, and when we’ve discussed the reliability of this pattern, we’ve said – yes, may be it is too obvious and usually that patterns rare work, but we will not trade particular weekly H&S, since it’s big, we will try to get direction from it, but trade on lower time frames. Until neckline situation has developed perfectly, but now something is go out from whack. Market has reached significant support around neck line and 0.618 AB-CD pattern that is based on head and right shoulder.
But now, take a look – we have two opposite patterns. First is huge bullish engulfing and second is – bearish stop grabber. Although I do not like grabbers of this kind very much, since it stands opposite to the trend, but still – this is the pattern and it has not been cancelled yet. So, what bet would you place here – to the upside or to the downside?
We have to say, that looks like enguling pattern is working by far. Although passed week was an inside one, but trend has turned bullish, market closed higher than on previous week and what is mostly important – we’ve got close above MPP.
eur_w_22_07_13.png

And now, guys, watch this:
eur_w1_22_07_13.png

Let’s discuss this picture. First of all, market is forming here widening triangle, aka megaphone, and now price stands with 5th wave inside of it. Sometimes flat exit from triangles happens, but in most cases market will either show breakout to the uspide or fail to reach previous top and turn to the downside. Current low stands slightly higher than previous one and this keeps road open for appearing of butterfly “sell” with ultimate target round 1.43 area. Somewhere around stands objective point of AB=CD pattern either. What is significant that this possible scenario ergonomically links with monthly perspectives of possible upward action, especially close above MPP and hit over obviousness of H&S pattern by shifting it to H&S failure. That is also logical, since obvious patterns rare works. Will see, but this significantly renovate overall action on EUR and gives absolutely different picture. Now we just have to educe signs of this potential move and control it’s normal development.
Daily
Since within 2 consecutive weeks market stands in the range, it’s not much what we can say here. The major moment is still the same - market has not shown due response to strong resistance – no reasonable retracement, nothing. As we’ve said on previous week, this adds points to bullish perspective, because as market does not show action that should follow by logical development in current situation, then it probably will show opposite move. Currently this idea was not vanished yet, since market confirms this intention by far. But this is sentiment analysis… Technically, future tendency will depend on breakout direction of long bar range here and on the hourly chart. The fact that market does not show any momentum yet makes analysis more difficult. As you can see on intraday charts, price movement reminds mostly gradual free flow rather than knowledgeable behavior.
eur_d_22_07_13.png

4-hour
That’s our very-very short-term perspective, that could be a part on overall big puzzle. As market has shown just 4 new small candles here, I hold Friday analysis intact. The way how market behaves on intraday charts I suspect that this could be butterfly “Sell” with reaching MPR1 and erasing of bearish stop grabber on weekly chart. Daily overbought is not a barrier any more. After move up retracement was small – just 3/8, market has formed hidden bullish divergence here and has shifted trend to bullish as well. So, it seems that we should be ready for some upward action, although I do not know how furious it will be.
eur_4h_22_07_13.png

60-min
Picture here looks simple, but analysis here will be more sophisticated than on other time frames. Our major tool will be pivot points, since we do not have valuable Fib levels as market stands in the range. But pivots will give us solid assistance, because they coinside with natural support and resistance levels.
As you can see price still holds above support in the middle of the range. This support coincides now with WPP and marke probably will test it. To rely on butterfly and be sure that sentiment is still bullish – we need to see that market will hold above this area again. May be this an area where we should try to enter long. At least I do not see any other leads here how we can enter. If we will get lucky and market finally will start move up – second checkpoint is WPR1. We need to see it been broken by price action. This will confirm that current move up is not just fluctuations and give us confidence with further upward perspectives on weekly time frame. Theoretically stop should be placed below 1.2990 lows, since this is invalidation point of butterfly and WPS1. But for some of you this stop could be too far.
eur_1h_22_07_13.png

Conclusion:
Currently on different time frames across the board some bullish hints are started to appear. They are blur and not obvious but they are visible. We probably stand at the eve of clarification moment that could happen very soon and may be on coming week. If market will show action as we’ve described in hourly chart, then it could a triggering point for medium term upward development. At least currently is very dangerous to hold shorts. As “3-period rule” suggests: if market has not started move that you expect to see within 3 periods – close position. We didn’t get downward development within 3 days although context was nice for it. Thus, this tells that something is hidden under at first glance calm and choppy action on EUR.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update, Tue 23, July 2013

Good morning,
market is continuning gradual move to the upside. Although this stands in a row with our major concept in weekly analysis, price has not tested WPP yesterday and short-term plan for entry long was not achieved. On daily time frame price has reached WPR1 and that is our "check point" as we've called it in weekly research. This level is significant, because WPR1 usually holds upward retracement within bear trend and if market will exceed this level, it will give us some confidence that probably upward move will continue. Also this level is a upper border long-range candle that holds action within 2 weeks.
eur_d_23_07_13.png

On 4-hour chart price action is very smooth and we have only the same two patterns - Butterfly "sell" and inner AB=CD pattern. Currently price action looks more like consolidation before upper breakout rather than reversal down. As you can see we've got W&R yesterday, but after that market has shown just small retracement and returned right back to resistance. Second, market now stands between 0.618 and 1.0 extension of AB=CD pattern, that 0.618 was passed and market now will gravitate to 1.3260 AB=CD objective point.
eur_4h_23_07_13.png

At the same time, it's very difficult to find suitable setup for taking position. It is difficult to enter long, since market stands near the Butterfly target and not quite clear where we can place acceptable stop order. Safer way will be to wait reaching of 1.3260 and then trying to enter long at some deep. But if you sitll want to take scalp long position here are some thoughts that may be will be useful. But I have to warn you that this setup is a bit poor, since is not based on any pattern or significant issue.

On hourly chart we see that market is forming tight upward channel. Now market stands between two significant levels - resistance, that we have discussed above and support - previous top of BC leg, lower border of the channel and 0.618 extension level of AB=CD. Probably you we can use this level as invalidaiton point for scalp trade, because if market will pass through it - motion could continue to lower border again of consolidation. Target is 1.3260 if breakout will happen.
This is not very reliable and superb context, but may be it will help somehow.

eur_1h_23_07_13.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Wed 24, July 2013

Good morning,
market is continuing smooth move up and almost has reached our short-term target. Currently price stands above WPR1 and that could become good bullish sign if market will confirm it by close price of the week.
eur_d_24_07_13.png

Mostly we're interested in intraday charts, particularly 4-hour one. Here we see two significant moments. First is - market almost has reached the 1.3265 target as of Butterfly "Sell" as AB=CD. Hence this is not the time to take long position. From the other side, we can't enter short because daily context is bullish. Only if you're scalp trader and have confidence and skills to trade on short-term charts. In this case you probably will find today something for short trading, if market will form some reversal pattern around 1.3265.
Second is - take a look that CD leg of AB=CD pattern is slower and flatter than AB. Usually this leads to solid retracement down, may be even 50% is possible.
eur_4h_24_07_13.png

On hourly chart I do not see currently nothing interesting. We see here, that our yesterday scalp-long trade setup has worked nice, but now - nothing.
eur_1h_24_07_13.png

THat's being said, if you're day trader - stand flat, because market stands at resistance and could show downward retracement. We also can't enter short, since we do not have bearish patterns just yet and daily context is bullish.
Only scalp traders could try to search for sell patterns on 5-15 min charts around 1.3265.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Thu 25, July 2013

Good morning,
It's very difficult to comment just single candle and just few that we can say really new here. In general, on daily time frame the thing that worries me a bit is a slow and smooth action to the uspide - no acceleration, no impulse move. That is not quite typical for development of bull trends. Other reason is that market now stands in resistance area around 0.618-0.768 Fib resistance. Today I've searched some consequences of this and where sudden downward breakout could lead us and found the possibility of appearing huge butterfly "Buy" pattern, that could be seen even on weekly chart. You can find it's picture in today's video.
Speaking about short-term perspective - market is still coiling around WPR1 and upper border of long-ranged bar. To hold bullish tendency we need that market remains above it and will not turn to deep retracement.
eur_d_25_07_13.png

On 4-hour chart we just see that market has hit predefined target and formed bearish engulfing pattern. But price action is very lazy. Currently we do not have any clear patterns and signals and it's very difficult to find any reasons for trading on EUR
eur_4h_25_07_13.png

Here is short-term important levels on hourly chart. First of all - we have greater upward channel. Although previous top is significant and we would like to see that market holds above it, but absolutely crucial is a support of lower border of this channel. If it will be broken down - then it will be an end of short-term bullish perspective.
eur_1h_25_07_13.png

But to be honest, currently it is bery difficult to find something valuable for trading on EUR, situation is still unclear. Yes, short-term target has been reached, but in very slow manner and I suppose that we need more clarification from the market before taking any position.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Fri 26, July 2013

Good morning,
well market has fulfilled our requirements and has held inside channel on 4-hour time frame and even mostly held above previous swing high.
But today I would like to take a bit wider view on EUR with recalling of 2nd weekly chart from our research. First of all, market probably will destroy bearish stop grabber that we have on weekly this is bullish moment, but it is not neccesary lead to definite medium-term appreciation. Since bullish engulfing weekly pattern has minimum target still inside of broadening triangle that now is forming on weekly time frame.
And now is most interesting. Take a look at daily chart - market now stands at WPR1. As we've discussed previously EUR likes to show 1.618 extensions after hitting overbought level and only after that shows meaningful retracement. For us this 1.618 extension is 1.3335 level. This extension looks like butterfly on 4-hour chart.
Currently, market is forming 5th wave inside of weekly broadening triangle pattern and usually 5th wave determines everything. If market will not continue move to the upside through 1.3335 and fail here, that could lead to significant downward action and continuation long-term bear trend. But if market will pass through it and accelerate to upper border of this mehaphone pattern, the chances for starting move to 1.40-1.43 will increase. Now you probably understand where we are now. This is in fact crucial area that could set the medium term perspectives on the market.
eur_d_26_07_13.png

What is also significant, is that market is forming butterfly - that is reversal pattern. The failure of reversal pattern at the point, where the future of medium term action should be clarified will tell us a lot, because if butterfly fails, it usually fails miserably and market continues move in direction of failure, i.e. to upsde.
eur_4h_26_07_13.png

On hourly chart I do not see much - only that market at resistance - MPR1 and upper border of the channel, but it still inside of it. Probably 1.3335 target will be reached, because right now market stands above 1.27 target already.
eur_1h_26_07_13.png

As market is approaching to really important area, and because it is a small room till it, it's very difficult to find suitable setup for long entry. Take short is also not quite reasonable since we have bullish trends everywhere and in fact nothing bearish, except MPR1.
My thought is better to wait until market choose direction around 1.3335. Because whatever direction will be chosen - as to the downside as to upside we will have a lot of possibilities to take position and it will be much safer than current gambling.
I can't exclude that after 1.3335 price action could become faster.

Last edited:
Excellent analysis Sive as always! If I may kindly ask your opinion and analysis of the USD / JPY pair! Tnx

Best regards, Zoran !

Excellent analysis Sive as always! If I may kindly ask your opinion and analysis of the USD / JPY pair! Tnx

Best regards, Zoran !

Hi Zoran,
Currently, I'm in vacation a bit, so not always have access to markets and time to watch closely on situation. Somebody else has asked me about JPY as well.
If I will have possibility, I will take a look...

Hi Sive sir,
Showing a very rush/noisy chart.. there are a lot of resistance.i thnk for both bulls and bears we shud have to break triangle..
Weekly EurUsd.jpg

Sive how often do you pay attention to the 3 period rule? And what time frames does this rule hold importance in?

Back