FOREX PRO Weekly March 18-22, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
On monthly time frame we do not see any significant changes just yet. As we’ve noted on week before – market by February close has confirmed and finally formed bearish engulfing pattern right at major 50% resistance area, but even on previous week it has not triggered yet, since market has not closed below engulfing low. Still this is important since technically this lets us to stick with this pattern and understand when we can speak about bullish or bearish trend. Thus, until market will not take 1.3730 high – it is difficult to tell about re-establishing of bullish trend here. The minimum target usually is a length of the bars and it points on 1.2450-1.25 area.

eur_m_18_03_13.gif

Weekly
I do not know whether it good or not, but within previous couple of weeks market shows rather tight acion on weekly chart and just few things that could be commented here. Market still stands around weekly K-support area. Trend is bearish here, market is not at oversold. Analysis of harmonic swings shows that current move down is much faster than previous one. This tells that market is rather heavier, and may be this is not a retracement already. Another nuance – market has exceeded the length of harmonic swing down. As we’ve discussed many times, it is quite often when market doubles harmonic distance as it breaks it. That’s why, actually this swing calls as “harmonic”. Following to that logic – the destination here is major 5/8 support at oversold – 1.2680 area. This is stand rather close to the target of monthly engulfing pattern.
The major difference here from previous week is that we finally see the bounce up, or at least some kind of hint on it. Probably weekly K-support is still valid, besides market stands at natural long-term support line as well. Also take a look – actually we have bullish engulfing pattern. It is not typical and has a different shape from what we usually associate with engulfing, but it holds all neccesary conditions of engulfing pattern. From that point of view 1.2910 low is significant – if market will close below it, then the odds of further upward bounce will reduce significantly.
Another point in favor of possible pullback is MPP and it has not been tested yet.

eur_w_18_03_13.gif

Daily
On daily we see almost the same picture as on Friday. Market has touched levels that we’ve discussed previously and classified them as “must be touched before retracement”. Any target that you will apply here – will give you approximately the same level that stands around 1.3216-1.3234 K-resistance area. Whether you will treat current action as small rectangle as we did previously or will see here some kind of double bottom – the classical target as the height of the rectangle as the distance from bottom to neckline will give you the same target. What is interesting is that application of harmonic swing also points on the same area. Since for showing deeper retracement market has to exceed single harmonic swing. As a rule market tends to repeat swing with some multiplication and initially doubles it. So, double of harmonic swing points on the same area. Slightly higher MPP stands and this is also a magnet for price.
Now let’s return to patterns. Yesterday we’ve said that we have only one – this is bullish stop grabber and looks like it’s working and has not reached yet the minimum target that is 1.3134 high. On Friday market has hit the first resistance – nearest Fib level and upper border of consolidation. Probably we can count on retracement and use it for long entry. Retracement setup will be vanished if market will move below current lows.
Also guys, this could become excellent DRPO “Buy” but we were a bit unlucky with penetrations of 3x3 DMA. If current bottom would be the second penetration – this could be perfect DRPO, but, probably not in this time.
eur_d_18_03_13.gif

4-hour
Trend has turned bullish, we see the min target of daily stop grabber pattern – high at 1.3134, but, as we’ve discussed on Friday, market has not broken a tendency of normal bearish action. Lower lows and lower highs are still in place. Here market very accurately repeats the same shape – “small – big move up”. Big move exceeds small, but the sequence of big swings still shows lower highs. Thus, we probably can join move up as we’ve said on Friday, based on stop grabber pattern but later will have to keep an eye on confirmation – upward breakout from this channel, exceeding 1.3134 and, what is most important – holding above it.
eur_4h_18_03_13.gif

60-min
Hourly chart shows where we can enter long. Since stop grabber has not quite reached the destination point, move up probably will continue, even it will not becom the thrue solid retracement to 1.3230 area. Thus, we can take relatively small risk and when market will take out 1.3134 highs – move stop to breakeven and hope that market will continue up.
So, hourly chart shows perfect bearish engulfing that could trigger downward AB=CD pattern. In this case there is excellent level to watch for deep buy is hourly K-support 1.3032-1.3039 and 50% support around 1.3010 area. Other words, I would probably indicate an area as 1.3010-1.3035, because engulfing pattern itself points on a bit deeper move (since the target is the length of the bars), while if this will be AB=CD down, then target will be slightly higher.
eur_1h_18_03_13.gif

Conclusion:
Long term picture is bearish, as well as trend and price action. All current expectations on possible bounce up on daily chart are based mostly on K-support area on weekly and hitting extended 1.618 target on daily charts. Besides, market has not tested yet MPP.
Anyway this bounce will not be reversal, at least currently we have to treat it as retracement. Hence our position will be just for a bounce, some sort of scalp trade and not for holding it for long-time. Potential target of this bounce is 1.3230-1.3260 area.
Appearing of stop grabber pattern on daily lets us to take position with reasonable risk around 1.3010-1.3030 area. If it will appear to be successful – protect it with breakeven stop around 1.3134 area, because this pattern could be a triggering one for retracement itself.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update, Tue 19, March 2013

Good morning,
unfortunately I couldn't dedicate more time to this forum yesterday and you probably know about Cyprus idea to steal 10% of investors' money from deposits. This is really bad idea and very dangerous precedent. It will impact not only on two-side relations with other countries (for example this will turn to $2Bln lost for Russians) but this will challenge EUR trusting. If this is possible in one country - why this will not be possible in Spain, Italy, Greece or somewhere else? This could trigger chain reaction and mass withdrawal from European banks that do not feel very good now by themselves and this will just kill them.
Currently market is holding indeciison and waiting for voting on this initiative. That's why it's better to not take part in this turmoil and stay flat.
On daily chart we see some bearish moment and most bright is bearish dynamic pressure. Also market has erased the single pattern that we had - stop grabber:
eur_d_19_03_13.png

On 4-hour chart we can see again how technical analysis could warn us if we careful enough. Recall that we have discussed this risk - until bearish tendency of lower lows and lower highs will not be broken here - it is a bit risky to take any long position. We said that conservative approach - is to wait of this moment. Now I can repeat it again. I will not even think about taking long position until market will not take out previous highs here:
eur_4h_19_03_13.png

So, although this is pitty, but my thought is - better to search some other possibility for trading somewhere else and do not dive in EUR turmoil for some time.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Wed 20, March 2013

Good morning,
Cyprus turmoil is spinning up and many people ask question - what is worse: to withdraw investors' money and get the help from EU or to not withdraw and miss the help from EU.
My thought is, despite how terrible it will sound, for Cyprus is better to withdraw and get the help, but for EU is better to not withdraw and still provide help to Cyprus. Why?
Because whether they willl steal money or not - they will not escape mass outflow already. In one or other way it will strongly hit the banking sector in Cyprus and all over EU, I suppose. Investors will not hold money on EU. Recall that some months ago was the news that Shell withdraw all free assets from EU banks...
But why for EU is better that Cyprus will not withdraw? Because in this case they will have a possibility to support trust in EUR and minimize effect of this terrible initiative. If they still withdraw the money - it could be chained effect all over the Europe and nobody will predict the consiquences right now. Anyway - for us this mean bearish continuation, the difference will be only in pace of it.
Sometimes I scare how tehcnical analysis foreseing some future events. Recall that in November 2011 on really big picture (that was a quarterly chart) we suggested the move to 1.16. And now it is in progress...
But let's take a look at daily chart. On yesterday's picture we see that market has formed bullish stop grabber and stands near oversold and MPS1. But this chart tells us little about what to do.
eur_d_20_03_13.png

That's why I offer you to take a look at simple classical analysis. Sometimes it gives us cristal picture without any modern tools. That's right - this is bearish flag and it could lead market to 1.25-1.2650 area, depending on the mast that you will choose.
eur_d1_20_03_13.png

Since within previous 2 weeks market has not triggered monthly engulfing pattern - I thing it will be done on current one. Another idea here - take a look at weekly EUR/JPY chart. We probably willl get DRPO "Sell". This relatively confirms perspective of miserable plunge on EUR.
Thus, we probably should prepare for short entry. On hourly chart I think that using of K-resistance will not be bad idea:
eur_1h_20_03_13.png

Since this trade is based on flag continuation pattern - our invalidation moment is price return inside of the flag and closing the gap. This probably will form bearish trap and failure flag breakout.
Also you have to understand risk that you take now. NOthing is clear yet and this could be real doom and gloom on EUR in nearest time. So, if you do not ready for this - wait for more clearity or use other assets and pairs for trading.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Thu 21, March 2013

Good morning,
looks like Metaquotes has broken its MT4 software, as now I have problems with saving charts as it is and have to save it as working space...
Concerning situation Cyprus I can say only that now delegation is in Russia and they are trying to find acceptable rescue measures. Probably the talk stands with merging of Banking sector by russian giants as VTB and Sberbank and some other assets.
Here I was really shocked by Merkel that she said - I don't want to rescue russian and other depositors by the money of German taxpayers... Wait a minute - depositors do not need any rescue. Probably she wants to say that I want to rescue german taxpayers by the money of cyprus depositors... Russian prime minister correctly said that EU shows quite uncareful solution and behavior - like an elephant in dish store. Very nice compare.

Anyway nobody knows nothing right now. Market is driven by rumors and news. In current situation short-term technical setup takes second role and any setup could work depending on resolving of the problem.
Still, from the pure technical point of view we have nice setup. On daily we have 2 side-by-side bullish stop grabbers that assume taking of previous highs and move to daily K-resistance area:
eur_d_21_03_13.png

Would you take it or not - this is the second question and depends on your viewing on risk. But if you will still take it - you better do it as closer to the low of stop grabber as possible and hourly chart helps us much with it
The development of stop grabber could be in a shape or reverse H&S pattern. Hence, market should show deep retracement before upside reversal. From risk/reward ratio this could be perfect trade. 1.2894 is the level to watch for potential long entry:
eur_1h_21_03_13.png

If you do not want to take risk too early, then you better wait either downward breakout or retracement to daily K-resistance to take short position.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Fri 22, March 2013

Good morning,
First of all guys, looks like it's better to not hold any positions through weekend, since solution on Cyprus could be announced.
Technically, market shows very tight action. Recall the daily chart with bearish flag. The fact that market has not returned right back inside of it and has not shown failure breakout makes me think that we should be ready for solid downward action, depsite that market has formed 3 side by side bullish stop grabbers. As you can see all of them are inside trading session to previous one:
eur_d_22_03_13.png

On 4-hour chart we also have bullish stop grabber:
eur_4h_22_03_13.png

But most important for us is hourly time frame. Here we see that market has reached the level that we've predefined yesterday and theoretically still could form reverse H&S pattern:
eur_1h_22_03_13.png

So what to do now? My thought is - consolidation right near the lower border of bearish flag and abscence of return back, that is normal action after failure breakout, makes me think that this probably true breakout that is stronger than all stop grabbers together.
Also my experience tells that reverse H&S on hourly chart of EUR oftener fails than works.
From that standpoint - I will not take long position by stop grabber and H&S. But if you think opposite - this is the time to enter, since we at the point. If upward action will start - it will start from this area.
IF you're bearish - then better either upward retracement to daily K-resistance (if I will be wrong) or market failure right here and moving below the current daily low. In this case the road to 1.25 will be open.
Also be ready that market could open with solid gap on Monday...

Last edited:
Hi Sive

Thanks, as ever for the analysis. As has already been noted the forums are quiet just now. Don't let that make you think that your work isn't appreciated - it is!!!!

All the best

Michael

Hi everyone. Is anyone there?
The market has opened with a plunging gap of 175 pips. I am sitting on last week's close with a healthy profit of 130 pips and I had moved my stop to a potential profit of 60 pips. By opening at the current price of 1.2910 my broker will clearly close the trades.
My broker has not yet opened so I have the ability to move my stop. This I have done - to 1.2890. does anyone think this is a wise move?

Jianean,
I am not sure but if you don't you are already guaranteed a loss. I would hold and see if it fills the gap. Put your stop at 1.2890.

I have never seen it possible to alter a trade while the broker is closed. If you were successful. that is great. Usually a message appears that says market is closed. Good luck.

Hi everyone. Is anyone there?
The market has opened with a plunging gap of 175 pips. I am sitting on last week's close with a healthy profit of 130 pips and I had moved my stop to a potential profit of 60 pips. By opening at the current price of 1.2910 my broker will clearly close the trades.
My broker has not yet opened so I have the ability to move my stop. This I have done - to 1.2890. does anyone think this is a wise move?

Back