FOREX PRO WEEKLY October 21-25, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
As markets have got relief from government and gradually return to their own, EUR has continued an aprreciation. In short-term perspective it looks cloudless, but on longer term there are some risk factors that could lead to significant changes. Yes, turmoil around debt ceil has finished (at least till December), but we still have unreleased NFP report and that is more important – FOMC meeting on 30th of October. This is in fact major risk factor. Fed even will not need to announce QE contraction. On current stage it will be significant just to hint on it, slightly change a rethoric that will assume increasing probability of QE contraction and that could stop USD fall. The reason, why I’ve thought about it is a picture on JPY, particularly on weekly chart. If you will take a look at it, you’ll see simmetrical triangle after significant thrust up and bullish dynamic pressure. Trend on weekly JPY holds bearish by MACD, but price action does not drop and continues to form higher lows. Well, Yen itself could be a reason for that, not neccesary it has to be dollar, but who knows. If it will be a dollar, then EUR/USD appreciation will get some problems. Second reason – recall our long-term analysis of GBP that we’ve done in our Forex Military School in chapters dedicated to Elliot Waves analysis. Please, re-read it. Currently we stand in 4th big correction wave. It has changed a bit the shape since our analysis, but the function of this wave is still the same. In two words speaking, current move up could be a final splash in 4th wave and after that downward continuation all time thrust down should happen as a 5th wave. Our forum member Minimax, as an expert on Elliot waves probably could clarify this better. https://www.forexpeacearmy.com/forex-forum/chapter-16/17463-chapter-16-part-v-trading-elliot-waves.html We’ve made it 2 years ago and now it is approaching to culmination.
Despite how it will turn, this is a moment, that we should keep in mind and having potentially contradictive situation on another pair. In such circumstances I do not see much reasons to plan action far ahead. Better to focus on perspective of next week.
Monthly chart looks so as if there was no debt ceil turmoil at all. It just continues with our analysis that suggests move to yearly pivot resistance 1. As market has held above yearly pivot and passed through previous high and broken flag in opposite direction, 2-3 weeks ago we’ve made a suggestion that upward action should continue probably. And that is what we see now. Yesterday price has stopped within 7 pips from previous highs and hardly market will leave them intact. Our target that includes yearly pivot resistance 1, minor 0,618 AB=CD target and major 5/8 Fib resistance at 1.3830 makes us think that market still have ~250 pips of cloudless upside potential. But then, I suspect, the moment when it will reach this target will coincide with FOMC meeting. And then we will see, what will happen next...

eur_m_21_10_13.png

Weekly
Weekly chart gives us slightly higher beacon – 1.27 target of Butterfly around 1.40 level. Trend holds bullish here. If we check the level of piercing of yearly pivot point, then we’ll see that 50-100 pips is not very significant distance for monthly chart. Thus, market still could accomplish this pattern and yearly pivot resitance 1 will still valid.
Here is another moment that is interesting within a context that we’ve specified above. I mean JPY and other thoughts. Why market continues move up here by reversal patttern? Other words, appearing of reversal pattern here is a warning sign that is fatefully agrees with our suspicions concerning possible stopping of upward action.
eur_w_21_10_13.png

Daily
Now, as we have bullish setup for coming week at least, or may be even for a bit longer period, let’s see how we can take a position. Trend has turned bullish here and market is not at overbought. In fact it has ~ 100 pips handicap on Monday. Thus, as nothing presses on market right now, and as market just has passed through previous highs, we should not get too extended retracement down. If market has not shown retracement to 1.3470 K-support area when H&S pattern was in progress, then hardly it will start it right now. Thus, the most reasonable levels of retracement are 1.3615 nearest Fib level and 1.3560 K-support. They are reasonable. Any deeper move down will put under question whole recent thrust up and if market will reach next K-support, it will erase move up totally. So, if real bullish power exists here, we do not want to see this deep move, only to 1.3560 as maximum.
eur_d_21_10_13.png

4-hour
Here we have another great assistance. Market will open above WPP and retracement right down to it has solid odds. Interestingly that our first Fib support coinsides with WPP, previous broken highs and 4-hour oversold level. Personally I do not look at intraday OB/OS levels very often, but as you, guys, have asked me to show it, then I fulfill your request. What does it mean? It means that we probably should take some part of long position right at 1.36-1.3615, because some bounce will happen after it, or even market will continue move up. Also, by this picture now we know that reaching of 1.3560 K-support level will be possible by only compounding retracement down, for example in the shape of AB=CD. Because market will have to at least bounce up from 1.3615. And if deeper retracement will follow, this bounce should become a BC leg of potential downward AB=CD. WPS1, by the way, also important and stands slightly lower then daily K-support area.
eur_4h_21_10_13.png

60-min
Well, here guys, to be honest, I see nothing really valuable, just some hints. Thus, our Friday butterfly has done well and market has hit our previous week target. The ultimate target to the downside of the same butterfly stands at 1.3625 – area around broken highs. Also, we have very short-term bearish stop grabber here, that suggests taking out 1.3660 butterfly’s lows. So, as you can see hints are not superb, but they give a bit more confidence that price will have chances to reach at least 1.3615 support by possible retracement down.
eur_1h_21_10_13.png

Conclusion:
Longer term perspective stands under curtain of nearest FOMC meeting and possible end of USD weakness. Still, market has ~250 pips of free space to upside and we will try to use them.
There are two suitable levels for long entry on Monday – 1.3615 and 1.3560 and some part of total position should be taken at nearest one, because currently it is unclear whether market will proceed to 1.3560 or not. You may add more, if this will happen. At the same time, as market is not at overbought we do not want to see deeper retracement down. Also, as usual, we do not want to see nasty black candles within our retracement. Do not enter Long, if you will see them. Upward target will stand in the range of 1.38-1.40 probably, depending on what patterns market will form there. Now we have just levels on monthly chart and butterfly “Sell” on weekly as beacons.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update Tue 22, October 2013

Good morning,
as you probably see, guys, markets are silent across the board. I've checked some other pairs and there is nothing also. JPY is more or less alive compares to others, but also nothing valuable just yet. Thus, market expects NFP data.
By this reason we will not add much to weekly analysis. On daily chart recent sessions are inside one and very small. The kind of pennant is forming on EUR. We do not know what numbers will be and we understand that everything will depend on it, but taking purely technical view - picture has more bullish signs rather than bearish. By broader view, we will find AB=CD pattern with objective point around 1.3825-1.3830 and market stands now between 0.618 and 1.0 targets. Usually in this situation price tends to complete AB=CD before changing direction:
eur_d_22_10_13.png

On 4hour chart I wouldn't talk probably about either H&S or any DiNapoli directional. It is too large difference between tops to call it as DRPO "Sell" and it is too shallow retracement down to call it as B&B. So here we could monitor either downward AB=CD or appearing of falling wedge pattern that potentially also bullish pattern. May be even butterfly "Sell" could appear. Anyway, both these patterns suggest some upward splash - either fast spike or just normal continuation.
Here market also has not even show our minor retracement to WPP, first Fib support and previous swing high:
eur_4h_22_10_13.png

On hourly chart picture is also moderately bullish. Take a look - price just completed grabber target and hasn't moved any further. Trend holds bearish for a long term, but price action just stands flat.
So, currently we can do nothing here. Even despite NFP (I prefer to not take position right before significant data release), price has not quite reached our entry point.
eur_1h_22_10_13.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Wed 23, October 2013

Good morning,
well, guys, just yesterday we had nothing to say, but today we have a lot. Now you can undertsand the extreme importance of higher time frame analysis, even if you do not trade on weekly and monthly charts. If you wouldn't take a look at these charts, now you probably would search possibility to enter long. But my conclusion is - we have to wait and watch for reversal patterns on daily chart. There are two reasons for that - one of them is technical, other one is fundamental.
From fundamental point of view my personal opinion is that yesterday reaction on NFP data is too significant. Negitivity of NFP data is overestimated. Everybody tells about 40K lack in employment compares to expectations, but few talks about August data upward revision for the same 40K. Thus, as a result of 2 months we've got as new working places as we should by economists calculations. And I think that it is too early to say that Fed will continue QE. I think that they will not. I mean, not necesary they will clsoe it right in October, but they probably will give clearer hint and will change the rethoric in favor of tapering QE. Besides, we will get GDP for 3Q prior meeting...
From technical point of view, this is time to take a look at monthly chart. We at monthly Agreement - major 5/8 monthly resistance at 1.3830 + 0.618 AB-CD target. Second, we at Yearly Pivot Resistance 1. Finally we at daily AB=CD target. Even minor bounce down from here, will probalby look as reversal on daily chart. Of cause, as these levels are monthly one, they are rather wide. Probably they are mostly an area 1.3770-1.3870. Anyway, it's not a time to enter long here. We probably should closely watch for reversal patterns on daily chart.
And the last one - 1.3970 - is 1.272 target of weekly butterfly:
eur_d_23_10_13.png

On 4-hour chart we also see that we at WPR1:
eur_4h_23_10_13.png

On hourly chart we probably have got DRPO "Sell" LAL. LAL is because thrust mostly consists of just 3 candles. This is not very good for DRPO, but it still could work. This is the pattern that should treat seperately, this is not the pattern that I've talked about higher. Hourly chart is too small.
eur_1h_23_10_13.png

So, tactically, we can trade some patterns that we could get in nearest future on intraday charts, but strategically should be ready for reversal of the market to the downside. Keep an eyes open for any reversal pattern on daily chart.

Last edited:
NZD/USD Daily Update Thu 24, October 2013

Good morning,
EUR has not felt yet the gravitation of monthly resistance cluster, since this is really big level and it allows to fluctuate around. Thus, as no patterns have been formed yet, I have decided to speak about NZD. Other pairs also do not show anything impressive, but NZD shows at least something, that could be traded today.
But with NZD we will start from Weekly chart. Here we see that market has completed 1.618 extension of AB=CD pattern. So, we stand at resistance:
nzd_w_24_10_13.png

Daily chart shows how definitely this has happened. Market has formed nicely looking Butterfly "Sell" at overbought, simultaneously moving below WPP and reaching WPS1. Also this move looks like promising bearish engulfing pattern:
nzd_d_24_10_13.png

Now market stands with reasonable retracement up and forming shooting stars. As momentum down was solid, we could count probably at least to minor 0.618 continuation to 0.8330. Ultimately to complete AB=CD to 0.8270 that will give us also Agreement with major 3/8 Fib support on weekly chart (0.8330)...

nzd_4h_24_10_13.png

So, decide, but currently I do not see anything more interesting than situation on NZD...

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Fri 25, October 2013

Good morning,
today we can't say much - I've taken a look across the board and didn't find any really valuable setup on majors. On NZD market has hit our "high probability" target and chances exist that market will proceed to next one around 0.8250, but I suspect that market will freeze for some time. On next week we will get Retail Sales, CPI, GDP within few hours prior FOMC meeting and hardly somebody will take this risk, they will mostly wait for data.
Following these thoughts, may be it is not bad idea to take a rest today...
Anyway, on daily EUR we do not see much changes - market finally has hit our 1.3830 level, so price has entered in resistance area. That's why probably it is not good idea to take longs here, at least until we will see clear signs of breakout on weekly/monthly charts:
eur_d_25_10_13.png

Although we do not see much on daily, but on 4-hour chart there are signs of exhausting, probably. At first glance it looks like bullish dynamic pressure and it could be indeed, if we wouldn't have this resistance level. But with resistance, I probably would call it as exhausting signs - high wave candle, grabbers, long shadows up, etc:
eur_4h_25_10_13.png

On hourly chart we even see pattern - rising wedge. By itself this is good pattern etc., but probably this is not the pattern that stands in a row with monthly resistance. hourly chart is too small to form reversal patterns due monthly resistance. I think this should be daily at minimum. It means that we do not need to by hurry with taking short. Market could drift and fluctuate inside of monthly resistance for some time and we do not have ny reversal pattern on daily. So, this event stands ahead probably, and we need to stick with clear patterns. Monthly resistance is pretty long-play picture, if something will appear on daily, we will get a lot of time to react and take position. At the same time, I can't exclude that this wedge could be the first bell, since major extensions have been reached, except may be butterfly "sell" target on weekly chart:
eur_1h_25_10_13.png

Last edited:
Nice analyses there Sive!

I've been developing a new fibonacci method for the last 3 years and I am looking forward to sharing with everyone here on FPA very soon.
What is very interesting about my method is that it generally coincides with your analyses.

About medium/long term my method provides me with the following important levels:

- Support area: 1.3580 / 1.35982
- Main target: 1.37381 / 1.37624

I am also expecting a pullback before main target is reached.

Last edited:
Hi Sive, great analyses as always. I am also using Oscillator Predictor, but I am not quit sure about the values. Do you input max and min values for last cca 150 periods, or some averages as you explained in the Military School for Detrended Oscillator (80% or 90% of average of 3 extreme points). When I input my values I do have to adjust always a little to get them same as yours.

Thank you.

Hi Sive, great analyses as always. I am also using Oscillator Predictor, but I am not quit sure about the values. Do you input max and min values for last cca 150 periods, or some averages as you explained in the Military School for Detrended Oscillator (80% or 90% of average of 3 extreme points). When I input my values I do have to adjust always a little to get them same as yours.

Thank you.
Hi, I use 150 history, 3 average picks/valleys and 100% OB/OS.
Also, if you've programmed it by yourself, may be there is some difference in alhorithm?
And the difference could come from slightly different quotes among brokers.

Minimax,
as you swim well in Elliot waves, could you please take a look at monthly GBP and update/correct our past analysis, that we've made in Forex Military School. This could be rather important.

Thanks.

Back