Global Prime: Daily Market Digest

Find my latest market thoughts

Notable Buying In North American Currencies

Ivan Delgado is a decade-long Forex Trader. Feel free to follow Ivan on Youtube. Join thousands of traders who follow Ivan's insights to increase their profitability rate by learning the ins and outs of how to read and trade financial markets. Ivan has you covered with in-depth technical market analysis to help you turn the corner.

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

To see an expanded version, right-click and select ‘open link in new tab‘. The indices show the performance of a currency vs a G8 FX basket.

There has been a major reset in the number of trending markets in the higher timeframes (4h and daily) as a result of the strength off its suppressed levels in the USD and the CAD. Stocks did well overnight with the tech heavy Nasdaq making fresh record highs.

The worst performing currency was the Swiss Franc, while the rest of the European FX (Euro and Pound) also showed a sluggish behavior. Despite the pump in stocks, the Oceanic currencies didn’t attract much buying interest, with the momentum undermined by the Victoria state lockdown in Australia one would think.

We’ve transitioned from just under 20 markets with concordant trends in the higher time scales to just 8 today and the list might keep shrinking as some are on the brink of transitioning either into a range in the 4h chart or develop a short-term trend reversals.

If you found this fundamental summary helpful, just click here to share it!

Trending Markets On My Radar
In this section, I short-list the markets that meet the criteria, or are about, in order to engage on a directional trend off higher timeframes through a 15m chart entry. To get a deeper dive into the markets included in this section, watch my daily video.

This selection is done after analyzing markets through key metrics (Fractals and SMT) in different timeframes (4h and daily). A video on the power of the SMT can be found here “How To Trade Forex Trends Like A Pro“. The video “Fractals + SMT: The Multi-timeframe Functionality” is also a Must-Watch to fully grasp this style of analysis.

Hot Trade Of The Day
To see an expanded version, right-click and select ‘open link in new tab‘. In this section I pick a market or several ones that presented an opportunity to buy on weakness or sell on strength based on the higher timeframes outlook. My video analysis below will further elaborate on the logic behind the trade.

Insights Into Market Studies
In this video analysis I dissect the information above. Ultimately, it is the traders’ call, via a set of entries thoroughly backtested, to enter and manage a position, hence the video is intended as educational in nature and not financial advice.

If you found the content valuable, give us a share by just clicking here! Besides, if you have a suggestion on extra instruments for me to cover, reach out to me via Twitter.

Recent Economic Indicators & Events Ahead

Source: Forexfactory

If interested in the best ‘free of charge’ News Indicator that displays data on past and future news in the Forex market via MT4, check this YouTube video I produced. The indicator allows you to save time, avoid mistakes. It’s spot on!

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES
Markets evolve in cycles followed by a period of distribution and/or accumulation. To understand the principles applied in the assessment of market structures, refer to this video. Fractal breakouts is at the epicenter to assist us in the analysis of chart structures.

MARKET MOMENTUM
In order to assess the market momentum of a particular asset, I’ve promoted for years the idea of using what I call the smart money tracker. The settings and the indicator can be obtained via our Discord room, where traders from all walks of life interact frequently. In this video I lay out the elements I look into to call trend directions.

PROJECTION TARGETS
The usefulness of the 100% projection resides in the symmetry and harmonic relationships of market cycles. By drawing a 100% projection, you can anticipate the area in the chart where some type of pause and potential reversals in price is likely to occur, due to 1. The side in control of the cycle takes profits 2. Counter-trend positions are added by contrarian players 3. These are price points where limit orders are set by market-makers. You can find out more by reading the tutorial on The Magical 100% Fibonacci Projection

Gold Does It, Record High Above $2k

Ivan Delgado is a decade-long Forex Trader. Feel free to follow Ivan on Youtube. Join thousands of traders who follow Ivan's insights to increase their profitability rate by learning the ins and outs of how to read and trade financial markets. Ivan has you covered with in-depth technical market analysis to help you turn the corner.

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

To see an expanded version, right-click and select ‘open link in new tab‘. The indices show the performance of a currency vs a G8 FX basket.

What stands out in the last 24h is definitely the major breakout in the Gold market after printing a fresh record high above $2,000.00. As such, this market makes it once again into the list of tradable assets where we find full congruence if the higher timeframes.

In FX land, the early story had to do with the stubborn strength in the US Dollar yet after one hour into the New York session, it suddenly reversed, leaving the currency exposed to further weakness in the coming sessions given the V-shaped type reversals

In the fundamental front on Tuesday we had a dull RBA statement with very little new inputs to take away. Besides, there has been no progress on a US fiscal package deal although one can imagine that with the election nearing, it’s a real possibility that we may have Republicans caving in by end of the week? Watch this space.

The White House chief of staff Meadows said “we’re a long ways away from striking any kind of a deal”, while Democratic House leader Pelosi said she remains firm on the $3.4 trillion package first proposed. Besides, Republican Senate leader McConnell said “Wherever this thing settles between the president of the US and his team, who has to sign it into law, and the Democrat, is something I’m prepared to support…”

Overall, going back to technicals, we still have a handful of markets trending in the higher timeframes, yet the common denominator this week has been the transition into trickier conditions where many markets entered range-bound or reversed in the 4h time scales. To find out the markets most prone to still gift us with trends, watch the video.

In this section, I short-list the markets that meet the criteria, or are about, in order to engage on a directional trend off higher timeframes through a 15m chart entry. To get a deeper dive into the markets included in this section, watch my daily video.

This selection is done after analyzing markets through key metrics (Fractals and SMT) in different timeframes (4h and daily). A video on the power of the SMT can be found here “How To Trade Forex Trends Like A Pro“. The video “Fractals + SMT: The Multi-timeframe Functionality” is also a Must-Watch to fully grasp this style of analysis.

Hot Trade Of The Day
To see an expanded version, right-click and select ‘open link in new tab‘. In this section I pick a market or several ones that presented an opportunity to buy on weakness or sell on strength based on the higher timeframes outlook. My video analysis below will further elaborate on the logic behind the trade.

In this video analysis I dissect the information above. Ultimately, it is the traders’ call, via a set of entries thoroughly backtested, to enter and manage a position, hence the video is intended as educational in nature and not financial advice.

If you found the content valuable, give us a share by just clicking here! Besides, if you have a suggestion on extra instruments for me to cover, reach out to me via Twitter.

If interested in the best ‘free of charge’ News Indicator that displays data on past and future news in the Forex market via MT4, check this YouTube video I produced. The indicator allows you to save time, avoid mistakes. It’s spot on!

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES
Markets evolve in cycles followed by a period of distribution and/or accumulation. To understand the principles applied in the assessment of market structures, refer to this video. Fractal breakouts is at the epicenter to assist us in the analysis of chart structures.

MARKET MOMENTUM
In order to assess the market momentum of a particular asset, I’ve promoted for years the idea of using what I call the smart money tracker. The settings and the indicator can be obtained via our Discord room, where traders from all walks of life interact frequently. In this video I lay out the elements I look into to call trend directions.

PROJECTION TARGETS
The usefulness of the 100% projection resides in the symmetry and harmonic relationships of market cycles. By drawing a 100% projection, you can anticipate the area in the chart where some type of pause and potential reversals in price is likely to occur, due to 1. The side in control of the cycle takes profits 2. Counter-trend positions are added by contrarian players 3. These are price points where limit orders are set by market-makers. You can find out more by reading the tutorial on The Magical 100% Fibonacci Projection

Resumption In The US Dollar Downtrend

Let’s get started…
Scan Of The Markets

With the US Dollar fragility kicking back in as risk sentiment improves, we’ve once again transitioned into an environment granting us permission to expand the daily watch list as new instruments qualify to be traded at a discounting regions.

The right political soundbites between Democrats and Republicans over the next US fiscal stimulus package alongside better fundamental data were attributed to encourage risk taking. Nonetheless, our decisions are governed by price data.

We’ve doubled up the number of pairs portraying the same directional bias in both the 4h and the daily. Amid this premise built up, it is going to be an interesting next 24h to potentially find new opportunities to engage in these existing trends.

In the FX space, the Euro and the Swiss Franc emerged as the strongest while the Yen joined the USD as the weakest. In the equity space, the S&P 500 as the bellwether for US indices was catapulted into new weekly highs, while metals, especially Gold, continue on its merry way by printing further gains past the $2k mark level.

Hot Trade Of The Day

Today’s trade is just a follow-up of Tuesday’s posted trade. As I illustrate below, the CAD/JPY long position eventually went all the way to hit its 3:1 target, reaching a maximum extension of 5:1 before pulling back down into the 13-wma at present.

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

Over A Dozen Markets To Trend Trade Intraday

Let’s get started…
Scan Of The Markets

In financial markets, the story of the day was the collapse from its lofty levels in the metals complex with Silver suffering the sharpest fall since Oct ’08 while Gold saw its worst day in over 8 years with no particular catalyst other than the spike in real yields.

Currencies wise, the Canadian Dollar was the stand out performer, followed miles away by the US Dollar, while the Japanese Yen was the clear loser, barely budging to recover the lost ground even of the sharp reversal seen through the equity markets in the US.

In the US equities, amid the political impasse on the next fiscal stimulus as Republicans and Democrats keep going back and forth, big selling flows kicked in late on the day in one of the most aggressive sell-side candles intraday for weeks in the S&P 500.

Interestingly, the sudden bearish action in equities was certainly not a reflection of the strong performance of equities in Europe broadly stronger amid positive fundamental data, vaccines hopes by Russia and Trump’s sound bites on capital gains tax cuts.

After scanning the charts, I’ve ended up spotting over a dozen markets that offer the type of agreement in both the 4h and the daily timeframes to make a strong case for intraday opportunities. In today’s report I also highlight a short opportunity in the NZD/CAD.

Hot Trade Of The Day

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

Risk Appetite Revived, Yen Under Pressure

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

Exploitable trends continue to emerge off a rejuvenated Canadian Dollar, by far the best performing currency this week after an impressive acceleration in the buy-side pressure. On the flip side, the Japanese Yen remains the weakest link and a tradable short, not aided by the return of risk appetite as the S&P 500 flirts with all-time highs.

When compared to yesterday, we have had an increase in the number of instruments making it to the watchlist for today. In total, there are 16 markets in an active buy or sell-side campaign, which translates in plenty of potential opportunities to join the momentum of these markets as long as cheap enough prices get advertised.

Hot Trade Of The Day

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

Swing Trading Opportunities Abound

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

If we were to think of the process I conduct on a daily basis to identify trending markets as a wave, you’ll be glad to know that we are right at crest of it, in other words, we are near or at what usually is the maximum number of instruments simultaneously trending.

We’ve past the 20 mark once again, meaning opportunities to join active buy side or sell side campaign in the Forex domain abound. After going through a trough last week when at one point barely 8 markets were still trending out of the combination of the 8 most heavily traded currencies, metals and the S&P 500, it didn’t last long.

In today’s video, I dissect for everyone the merits that make each and every one of these markets selected qualify as a trending market. I’ve also added the hot trade of the day where the CAD takes the spotlight once again, this time against the GBP in what’s still a trade with an unresolved outcome which as usual aims for a 3:1 RR.

Hot Trade Of The Day

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

Reset In Most Forex Trends

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

There has been a reset in the majority of developing forex trends as one of the top performing currency as of late such as the Canadian Dollar deflated its momentum last Friday while the likes of the Japanese Yen corrected higher. This leaves the Kiwi as the main currency to still consider short exposure conditional to entries on lower time scales.

In my assessment of the directional biases for this Monday, we’ve transitioned from over 20+ markets in trending mode to just a dozen at this point. Let the market show its hand through the higher timeframes once again early in the week and be ready to re-engage in whatever pairs show the clearest supply/demand imbalances.

There are no economic news of note for this Monday, with the narrative towards the US Presidential election race growing in dominance. We’ve also learned that COVID-19 cases in many parts of the world continue a steady climb while there has been reports over the complete unwillingness of the US and China to resume trade talks.

Later in the week, remember, we’ll have the release of the July FOMC minutes, which to me represents the event risk for the week. Amid the limited amount of information through the July FOMC statement and Jay Powell press conference, this is an event that may move the markets if unknown clues such as stronger forward guidance heading into the 18 September FOMC meeting are given.

Hot Trade Of The Day

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

Next Leg In The USD Bear Trend?

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

It’s not been an overly exciting start of the week yet the USD appears to again be on the back-foot, which is good news for swing trading opportunities as it has led to a permute by which some of the lost trends in USD-centric instruments are now retrieved.

The NZD, despite gaining fortitude, is still perceived as a potential sell on strength given the protracted bearish run that has been dominating proceedings for a while now. The push higher in Gold or the tech-heavy Nasdaq index are some of the highlights too.

Despite the increase in trending markets, we are definitely going through a more patchy state after a reduction to the tune of 70 to 75% in the number of trending markets compared to mid last week (we had 20+). Remember to remain patient and let the market come to a region of discount before committing new exposure.

As part of today’s report, I also highlight a running long position that remains on track to hit the 3:1 risk reward in the EUR/USD. This trades comes to proof that there is always going to be a trade available around the corner, hence don’t sweat it out, stay firm and committed to the approach, keep hustling and rewards will follow.

Hot Trade Of The Day

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

USD Bearish Trend Fully Restored

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

It’s all about the broad-based USD weakness as the currency resumes its underlying bearish trend. The selling of the USD was also spurred by the ongoing rise in US stocks where the S&P 500, after the 34% COVID19-led decline, made a new all time high.

Among the basket of the 8 currencies monitored, the fortitude of the Sterling is what stands outs as well as the ongoing outperformance of Gold and Silver as the Go-To investment vehicles at a time of loss trust in the US Dollar. The rejuvenation of the Kiwi, finally putting an end to its eye-popping losing streak, is worth noting too.

As I illustrate below as part of the Watchlist where I select the markets in trending mode, it is dominated by the USD as the currency to seek out short exposure. The structures and the momentum tell us a clear picture that it is the world’s reserve currency the one we want to be stalking on an intraday basis to find swing opportunities.

Hot Trade Of The Day

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

Oceanic Currencies Lead The Charge In FX

Let’s get started…
Scan Of The Markets

To see an expanded version, right-click and select ‘open link in new tab‘. The indices show the performance of a currency vs a G8 FX basket. A video on how to interpret these indices can be found in the Global Prime’s Research section.

The US Dollar debacle, one that’s become all too familiar, stays the course as the dust settles in the aftermath of the Jackson Hole’s Symposium where Chairman Powell laid out the grand strategy of a Fed firmly committed to stick to its ultra-loose monetary policy even in the scenario where the labor market returns back to full employment.

If Thursday’s movements on the aftermath of Powell’s speech were centered around the bond market, Friday portrayed needed adjustments in the valuation of both the USD and equities. In the case of the former, the S&P 500 and Nasdaq ended the week with fresh record highs while the USD extended its multi-month downtrend.

The two currencies capitalizing the most in this environment of a Fed engaged in not just endorsing higher inflation but actively seeking it include the Australian Dollar and ride the coattails the Kiwi. These two commodity-linked currencies are an excellent vehicle to express this view via their hedging nature against inflation. If we throw into the mix the fact that equities are thriving, it’s an adder of appeal in AUD, NZD.

In the case of the NZD, the strength was retained even if on Friday Assistant Governor Christian Hawkesby reminded us that the RBNZ also sees scope to let inflation “spend some time above the mid-point of the target range in the future”. These comments reinforce the agenda of the RBNZ to execute a lower-for-longer strategy in NZ rates.

Meanwhile, the Pound failed to show fireworks by not living up to the expectations for a pick up in vol on the back of BoE Governor Andrew Bailey’s remarks to the virtual Jackson hole symposium on Friday. No new relevant information was shared by the policy-maker, who claimed “We are not out of firepower by any means”, admitting that the Bank has leeway for looser policy, including lower rates into negative as well as an expansion in the range of assets it purchases.

Last but not least, the episode of sudden Yen strength on Friday came as a result of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announcing his plans to resign for health reasons and leave office as soon as a new successor is appointed. The announcement led to a major selloff in both the Japanese stocks market and the Yen crosses. The rationale behind the movement had to do with concerns that amid the absence of Abe, there might be a new regime of policies potentially away from the expansionary monetary/fiscal policies and structural reforms.

The bottom line, and what we are left with, is a Forex market spinning back to life with plenty of instruments in active buy or sell-side campaigns courtesy of the imbalance of flows in the AUD, NZD, EUR, GBP on one side and the USD, CHF, CAD on the other side. The JPY can be isolated for now until the balance tilts bearish again.

By the way, as a word of caution, if you are going to be trading the markets today, be aware that not only is a public holiday in the UK, but we also will experience month-end flows. Account for these two circumstances as part of your trading by adjusting the time you trade and/or be aware that sudden spikes may occur out of nowhere.

Insights Into Market Flows

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

Back