GOLD PRO Weekly April 01-05, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals
It is not much to say on previous short week. Most significant moment was, I think, that even with Cyprus turmoil gold wasn’t be able to creep higher. Although it is not all clear yet, many investors and economists think that EU will be hit by mass money outflow and this process still somewhere ahead. But even in panic period demand for gold was moderate and was not able to trigger any significant trend up, even in short-term.
As a result, during first quarter of 2013 major gold ETF have lost around 7.2% of physical holdings that is around 70.7 mln. Oz. Largest SPDR Fund that we track regularly has lost around 12 % of physical holdings.
Previously we’ve suggested that when starting panic will calm down a bit, investors will return back to the core of fundamental situation – US “faster than expected” improving in economy and fears that Fed will reduce or even stop its liquidity taps During previous 4 years investors have put in gold approximately $240 Bln and they have chance to go back on markets, at least part of them. As we’ve said – market looks heavy, even with Cyprus turmoil in gold favor. That’s being said – fundamentally picture has not changed much. With reducing demand from jewelry industry and Central Banks downward trend probably will continue in short-term perspective. European outflows not necessary will be invested in gold, but could come on stock market, for example.
In latest CFTC report we see simultaneous contraction as net position as open interest, although, as you can see long position has been contracted stronger. In general this is typical situation for period of market’s contraction, i.e. retracement. Indeed on previous week market has stand in small tight consolidation.
CFTC_Gold_29_03_13.gif

Sponsored by Pellucid FX - Premium STP Forex Broker >>

Other charts as SDPR Holdings in relation to Open Interest and Price also care little new.

SPDR_holding.gif

Price_vs_OI.gif

Monthly
There were so few changes here, so I can’t add anything really interesting. Trend holds bearish. March action looks not very impressive; in fact it is inside small action compares to February.
Previous action and February month showed solid bearish power. Market stands at oversold and has turned to some shallow bounce up. Market has not reached yet major support 1530-1535 area and yearly pivot support 1. Also take a look that all price action holds almost for 2 year in a range of black candle of September 2011. It’s high and low levels now become extremely important, because it could be really significant move after breakout of the low. Harmonic swings also point on 1530 area. So, next target here is 1530, while we still should keep in mind really big picture and possible retracement even to 1200+ area. But now we’re mostly interested in how far to upside this retracement will be…
gold_m_01_04_13.png

Weekly
Medium term analysis still the same - trend is bearish on weekly chart. Market, as we’ve said, is recovering from monthly oversold by bouncing up from 0.88 support and 1.618 weekly AB-CD target – rather strong support area. Passed week has become another gradual, medium-size upward action. Since action was really moderate, we will not totally refuse an idea of a bit longer in time retracement. That’s why previously I’ve said that we can’t exclude appearing some reversal pattern that will not be as fast as just single leg retracement or AB-CD retracement, pattern that could include another small leg down. Such pattern as butterfly “buy” for example. If this will be the case – price will reach major 1530 area and simultaneously clear out current lows - that is very typical for gold market. This is first observation.
In shorter term though we’ve got unexpected assistance here. Take a look – this is small but still bearish engulfing pattern on weekly time frame right at first resistance level. Although harmonic swing points on deeper move up, but as it happened previously - retracement was a bit smaller (previous one for instance). So it could become a starting point of downward move or become a BC leg of weekly AB-CD. What is even more important now we know when to expect upward continuation - only if market will take out the highs of the pattern and erase it. Until this will happen I will not think about long entry here.
Second significant moment is new Pivots. In fact, they coincide with previous consolidation where market stood in June 2012. Thus, any breakout of pivot support or resistance in April will confirm the trend and will not be just a breakout of simple support or resistance line.
gold_w_01_04_13.png

Daily
In the beginning I would like to discuss the shape of price action here. I don’t know what about you guys, but my tongue refuses to call it as “bull trend” and price action that is typical to it. When nominal trend has turned bullish initially price action remains absolutely bearish and later has turned to flat upward action that is more typical for retracement. I dare to suggest that here, in fact, we see some sort of bearish dynamic pressure. Now it is very difficult to treat it as upward AB=CD action. I better treat it as rectangle that carries inside potential for Butterfly “Buy” pattern. If we will look at this from that point of view and not forget about engulfing on weekly – it is difficult to find reasons enter long here. If even suggest that engulfing will fail (and butterfly) – in this case market will be too close to 1635 resistance and it will not make sense to enter long there.
Conversely it has become easier to enter short, since now we know that our invalidation point is the highs of engulfing pattern, but honestly speaking, it is better to have stop above K-resistance and daily overbought, because if treat current action as rectangle – it could be W&R of upper border. This approach is mostly focused on medium term perspective still, and as from butterfly as from rectangle downward breakout point of view has nice risk/reward ratio. The major problem is that risk could be significant in absolute value, not in relation to potential profit.
gold_d_01_04_13.png

4-hour
Here actually, we can repeat the same analysis that we’ve done on Friday with small add-ons. The major idea here is current price action around K-support area. Market has completed AB=CD, reasonable respect has followed then and market shown nice bounce up that would have to be upward continuation if... yes, if that was true bullish development. But this has not happened. Instead of that market starts to storm support and has tested it 3 times already. With each challenge this support becomes weaker. Trend has turned bearish. Still here we have complicating factor – appearing of WPS1 and MPP right below K-area. Yes, this will be additional support, but this will be very helpful indicator either. If market will move below WPS1 and MPP – it will make all clear about sentiment. The same is true for upward action – moving above the highs will erase bearish patterns that we have or expect to see. By thoughts in this way, looks like safer is to take bearish position, at least if we want to take any. I have a doubts about bullish one, due the reasons that we’ve discussed above, at least you will find solution how to enter long with relatively tight stop and confidence with upward action.
Personally for me, bearish perspective in general looks prefferable, mostly due daily analysis. The problem here is when to enter.
gold_4h_01_04_13.png

1-hour

On monthly chart we probably can stick with our Thursday’s analysis. Since market now just ping-pong from support and can’t re-establish upward move this lets us to suggest that price will hardly move above previous highs, until this will be change in sentiment. That’s why for taking short position will be enough probably to place stop somewhere above WPR1. Nice entry level is 1601 – 5/8 resistance and WPP. Besides, if market will move above WPP – this already will tell us that something is wrong with bearish sentiment.

gold_1h_01_04_13.png

Conclusion:
Fundamental picture has not changed much, sentiment on gold market is moderately bearish and downward move should continue in long-term perspective, although it probably will be a bit slower.
Still, technically market is oversold on monthly chart and has reach significant weekly target that’s why we still expect some deeper upward bounce on daily time frame.
Short term price action is not encouraging from bullish point of view, as well as technically it is difficult to find acceptable way to take long position. Although we do not have clear short-term patterns either, but it seems that bearish position is safer and it will be easier to control it by using pivot points on coming week.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Good morning,
Situation on Gold market is interesting right now. If we will pay attention to not quite obvious details, we will find some leads to let us clear understand what is going on here.
On daily time frame there are two moments. As we've said earlier we hardly could treat current action as AB=CD, since CD leg has stopped between 0.618 and 1.0 target, it is rather flat and choppy and has not impulse features. This adds some bearish sentiment to overall action. Second is - MACDP and price action around it. On Thursday we said that bulls could get new hope if there will be stop grabber, for instance and today we will closely watch over it. If market will fail with it - then I suppose that road to 1535 will be open.
If you will carefully look at the chart you'll see that it has significant difference with EUR - MPP stands below WPP. This will give us great assistance a bit later:
gold_d_02_04_13.png

4-hour chart is our major one. Previously we've talked about another not quite obvious moment here - price behavior after AB=CD pattern. I mean that market can't finally jumped out from K-support area and most recent bounce looks much weaker that two previous ones. K-area becomes weaker. Take a look that MPP stands right inside of K-support. This is important for bears by two reasons. First - bears have additional confidence with short entry, because market gravitates to MPP and probably will try to test it, if even will turn to the upside later. Second - if market will fail there and move lower, this will become great confirmation of bearish sentiment, since market will pass through K-support and MPP at once.
gold_4h_02_04_13.png

Now let's decide what to do. Personally, I do not want enter long, mostly due the moments that we've just talked about. I can think about taking long position if I will get stop grabber tomorrow. But if you still want - you probably better to do it at next testing of K-support and MPP. Hopefully, market will show some respect of it and you will be able to protect your position.
If you're bearish and has entered short as we've suggested on hourly time frame at 5/8 resistance - your minimum destination probably is MPP. Protect your position before attempt of breakout of K-support.
If you would like to enter short still - then try to catch 5/8 retracement on 15 min chart around 1601-1601.50 area. It is not neccesary to place stop too far. Previous swing high 1608 or may be WPR1 1610 will be enough.
gold_1h_02_04_13.png

BTW, here could be another attempt of th butterfly "buy" on 4-hour chart.

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Wed 03, April 2013

Good morning,
so, looks like our suspicions about "not quite natural" action have been confirmed - market has plunged down and increase probability of appearing Butterfly "Buy" pattern. We talk about it within 2 or 3 weeks, that monthly oversold condition probably will demand more time to correct it, thus some extended in time pattern is needed on shorter time frame, and looks like this pattern will be butterfly.
Minimum target that could be reached in 1535 - support on long-term consolidation on monthly, Yearly Pivot support 1 and 1.27 extension of current butterfly. But take a note that this move down does not mean cancelling of retracement. Butterfly is bullish reversal pattern. It just means that retracement probably will happen a bit later and from deeper level. Also it means that retracement itself could be stronger:

gold_d_03_04_13.png

On daily chart market has reached MPS1 and here on 4-hour we see that this is also 1.618 extension of AB-CD pattern. So, if you have not entered short yesterday, you may wait for possible respect of this support and sell this short-term rally. I think that this could become possible somewhere from 1578-1582 area. BTW, this could be B&B "Sell", so look sharp.
gold_4h_03_04_13.png

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Thu 04, April 2013

Good morning,
market almost has reached our support area rather fast - today's low stands at 1541 already, while we've expected 1530-1535. Thus, the first stage of our medium-term trading plan has been achieved - market almost has formed the bullish reversal pattern as respect on monthly oversold condition to adjust it. Now the second stage - join upward retracement. How strong this retracement will be - currently impossible to say, but if even it will be minor 3/8 retracement up, this will be 30-40$ per contract move. Ultimately, if market will reach 1.27 extension of reversal butterfly - we can see 1640 area. At the same time our stop will be rather tight due our context for long entry - Butterfly "Buy", Yearly Pivot support 1 , daily and monthly oversold and monthly natural support around 1530.
That's being said - for daily traders I would better search possibility to enter long. But for that purpose we need to get bullish pattern on intraday chart, that we do not have currently. So, be patient, wait for 3-4 sessions:

gold_d_04_04_13.png

Taking short possition now is possible only for scalp traders. On 4-hour chart we see nice thrust down that could become a context for B&B "Sell" trade. Probably if market will reached 1565 K-resistance, an attempt to take short position could be done, but do not take too extended target - current lows at maximum, because market is oversold on daily chart. Better to take usual B&B target - 5/8 support of whole back move.

gold_4h_04_04_13.png

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update, Fri 05, April, 2013

Good morning,
yesterday's action was tight and in fact our major point stands the same here - wait for reversal pattern on intraday charts that will let us to step in with long position. Still, I think that it is early to do this - market has not quite reached 1.27 target of butterfly. May be it has not happened yesterday due oversold condition, but today it has been adjusted. Thus, I suspect that we should see new low first on intraday chart before any reversal pattern will appear:
gold_d_05_04_13.png

Now let's discuss what pattern it could be. 4-hour chart shows excellent thrust down, first penetration of 3x3 DMA. Why it couldn't be DRPO "Buy" LAL? Downward AB-CD suggests a bit lower low around 1534-1535 that agrees with daily Butterfly. This is first pattern to watch for. As we know DRPO's, when it has lower second valley very often take a shape of butterfly. In our case this could be butterfly on hourly chart.
The second pattern that might appear here is simple bearish wedge (or 3-Drive Buy), why not?
gold_4h_05_04_13.png

Anyway, what I would like to say is two major moments to watch here:
1. Do not take any longs till market will not reach 1534-1535 level;
2. When it will happen - keep a close eye on reversal or exhausting patterns on 1-4 hour charts. By now they could be: DRPO "Buy" or Butterfly on hourly, 3-Drive or wedge on 4-hour.

Last edited:
Hi, I don't understand why reuters cot data states speculators longs: 116,045, shorts: 55,919, open interest: 633,658, while in CFTC Commitments of Traders Report - CMX (Futures Only) I read non-commercial longs: 200,389, non-commercial shorts: 67,943, open interest: 419,727 (GOLD - COMMODITY EXCHANGE INC. FUTURES ONLY POSITIONS AS OF 03/26/13).

Hi Aldo,
that's because CFTC publishes two different reports - elder version, that you're speaking about and new one that is a legacy report. There is a bit deeper segregation between different groups. Thus, Reuters report includes only money managers group as speculators.

Hello Sive,

First I would like to say that I am enjoying your analyses very much. They are very interesting.

I would like to ask you what you think of this pattern?

WRyS6KpU

Hi Sive,
May I mention that the two charts with today's Gold analysis are both charts for EUR/USD??
As usual - many thanks for your daily guidance.

Back