GOLD PRO Weekly April 15-19, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals
As we’ve suggested on previous week – bad NFP data had shallow effect on overall sentiment on gold market. COT report continues tendency of increasing of OI at decreasing of net long position. On Friday we’ve got miserable plunge on gold market and slightly missed with start point of it, although our suspicion that upward action looks too choppy to call trend and had no impulse nature.
Fundamentally many traders explain current plunge down by different factors. Gold dropped below 1500 for the first time since July 2011 and shows the biggest weekly decline since Dec 2011 as well. Ones speak about Cyprus, that it intends to sell its gold reserves, others speak about drop in US Retail Data that hurts stocks and supported US Dollar. General thought currently is that investors will put assets in other safe-haven tools, such as bonds. BoJ takes a course on increasing inflation and in long-term perspective may be even yield of Japanese bonds will be attractive. As Gold was used as safe assets with unknown risks of QE’s and on fears of huge jump in inflation – currently these fears looks blur on moderate recovery in US.
My thought is nothing drastical has happened on previous week. Hardly this fall has happened due Cyprus possible bullion Sell-off. If you will look at the chart, you’ll see that Cyprus has smallest gold reserves. Besides, the purchasing and selling of gold by central banks takes not large part in total demand supply that is around 4500 tonnes annually.
Gold_Reserves.bmp

View attachment Gold_Reserves.bmp
I think that current action takes pure technical foundation. Everybody knows that long-term sentiment is bearish now, everybody knows that current pullback should become just a retracement and most traders have waited this opportunity to enter short. COT Report has not shown any surprises and decrease of Net long position with growing of OI is rather stable. Currently Speculators have nominal and lowest net long position since Dec 2008. When market has dropped below 1530 area – it has triggered huge stops, hedgers and really big players on the market – that just has added fuel to downward action. I do not know what about you guys, but I really do not see any drastical and sensational fundamental events on previous week that could trigger such a move. This was just downward continuation – that’s all. When trend develops it not necessary means that every time something new happens. It just means that overall bias and foundation for this trend still holds, that situation has not changed. Here, I think what we have now.
Take a look on CFTC chart, and pay attention not to most recent data but to relation of OI and Net position. What do you see? OI is growing with decline in Net Long. It means that more and more short positions appear on market. The same we’ve seen on Silver on previous week.
CFTC_Gold_12_04_13.gif

Do we see any changes on other data? SPDR has lost tremendous value of physical gold, but OI is climbing up.
SPDR_vs_OI.gif

The same is here – OI grows with price decline:
Price_vs_OI.gif

All these moments suggest what we’ve just said – bears gradually get more power.

And now again it’s time to repeat our long-term technical forecast.
This picture could be treated as pure technical or as fundamental as well, since it shows really big scale – gold market since 1970’s. This is annual chart of gold. The conclusion that we could made from this picture (this comes from one of the elders DiNapoli experts – Kevin Riordan) is rather exciting. By looking at previous strong retracement in 1980-2000, clone and drag it on now days, thus to measure the harmonic swing – we will get the end point of retracement around 1250-1300 area – right at major 3/8 Fib support. But that is not over yet. Although I do not have 3x3 DMA on this chart, but most recent thrust up is no doubt – perfect example and it is a context for DiNapoli annual B&B “Buy” that could start right from Fib support and harmonic swing target. Let’s keep this in mind. It could sound scaring, but pure technically, as we’ve noted – even move to 1200-1300 will be just minor retracement to major 3/8 support level.
gold_a_25_02_13.gif

Monthly
Now it’s time to shift to pure technical moments. Curiously but here we can see how even small move on monthly chart (in the scale of monthly time frame of cause), could drastically change all analysis.
But first I want to chill you out a bit, since April bar has not closed yet. Market will feel tremendous pressure by oversold condition and it will be extremely hard to continue with this pace down.
Thus in May or at summer’s eve I expect at least flat action, if there will not be backward move. Take a look that market was previously such tremendously oversold only in 2008 (and may be only in 2008 at all), and look what has happened next – huge upward jump. Although we have to take into consideration the overall context – market in 2008 and in 2013 is a quite different tune. Anyway, if even there will not be jump up, we should be ready for choppy and flat action with 1-2 months possibly.
Let’s finish with oversold and speak about another tool. Gold, in fact, could stand on the eve of volatility breakout (VOB). Since it never has been as oversold as now – this could be VOB. How to trade it – we’ve discussed in most recent EUR/JPY research. Here I just want to tell, that if it will be so, this moment will give us a lot of confidence with downward continuation. But even without VOB we have a lot of things to think about.
Second moment is harmonic swings. You can see that market has exceeded it and we know that usually price moves in doubles. Thus it gives us potential destination – the same as on annual chart around 1250$.
Third significant moment here is September 2011 bearish engulfing that could be triggered only now if April will close below 1530. Two year of expectation have made the borders are extremely important support and resistance levels. Target of this pattern and following rectangle consolidation gives the same destination – 1250. This is, as we know all time 3/8 support…
Finally, yearly pivot support 1, currently it is broken. We will see – was it a real breakout or not, but if it will be real, this will tell us that current move is not just a retracement and this will be significant from the sentiment point of view. This will give us confidence with downward action.
That’s being said as fundamentally as technically gold is bearish in long-term. But despite how curious it will sound – we will mostly trade Long, or if even will take short position – take profit at current low. The reason is huge oversold on monthly chart. When this disturbing condition will be resolved and gold will leave this area – then we will be able to focus purely on bearish trend.
gold_m_15_04_13.png

Weekly
Here we do not have a lot of information – no patterns, directionals or anything of that sort. Interesting, but market is not oversold on weekly, although it at oversold on monthly. Still there is no contradiction here. Let’s try to base our tactics on points that we have. We see that market has broken significant 1530-1535 area. This is very important. First is because price very often re-tests broken levels from the other side. By this fact we know what level to watch for if retracement will happen. Second – this gives us a caution. If market is really bearish – price should not return right back inside of long-term consolidation. If this will happen – it could be W&R and we will have to expect move to 1800…
Second, we have Marubozo candle that assumes solid bearish momentum and that it should continue after retracement. Marubozo is separated by 1530 level at 50% approximately. That stands in a row with our expectation if upward retracement will happen.
And finally where we have to take profit? As we’ve said in monthly analysis – previous lows is the target, since market is oversold. This is 1480-1475 area.

gold_w_15_04_13.png

Daily
Daily time frame is very interesting. At first glance, by taking a look at Oscillator Predictor we could think that here we have VOB again. But this is not the case. In reality, if you will take a look at DOSC (that’s why I like this indicator) you’ll see that market has reached even greater oversold in August 2011 and the same level in 2012. Thus, we do not have VOB, but still market is oversold significantly.
Analysis of harmonic swings tells that we stand at completion point of downward swing (or we have AB=CD from two most recent ones, if you like it in this way). But upward retracement swing suggests move to 1565 but not to just 1530. At the same time we’ve said that it will be a bit worrying sign, if market will return right back in consolidation. What we should to do?
I can’t give you absolute answer, but if we pay attention to speed of harmonic swing, then we will see that they were equal till current one that is much faster. Second, 1530-1535 is rather strong level, and it is also K-resistance at daily. I suppose that we will be able to try enter short from it despite upward harmonic swing target, because there is a great probability of its respect by price. Thus, even if market will proceed higher – we will be able to protect our position, or even close it. In the same manner as we deal with DRPO on previous week.
gold_d_15_04_13.png

1-hour
In a very short-term perspective hourly chart shows how particularly retracement could start. That is mostly for scalpers who can try even to take Long position by the pattern if it will appear, of cause. Here we have excellent thrust down that could become perfect context for either DRPO “Buy” or B&B “Sell”. If it will be DRPO, then we probably will get an action to 1530. If it will be B&B, then retracement probably will stop somewhere between WPP and 3/8 Fib resistance, but when B&B will reach its target, some deeper upward AB=CD price action could still happen. So let’s keep a close eye on it.
gold_1h_15_04_13.png

Conclusion:
Fundamental picture has not changed much, sentiment on gold market is moderately bearish and downward move should continue in long-term perspective if market will hold below 1530 area. If this will indeed happen then our next long term level is 1200 area.
As technically market is oversold on monthly chart we can’t be focused on 1200 right now, besides we do not trade gold on monthly time frame. Due monthly oversold, very probably that lower time frame context will be mostly bullish in nearest future and we will have to take long positions on retracements, then reverse to the downside but with target at current lows, until monthly oversold level will not be adjusted.
Speaking about perspective of nearest 1-3 days analysis shows that market at support and oversold and re-testing of 1530-1535 area looks very probable. Thus we can either take long position by intraday patterns (if any will appear) or just wait the ending of retracement to enter short.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

What a substiantial move.... There is a rumor that big banks and institutional invetors like Soros are intentionally talking prices down, so they can buy gold cheaply. Just like Goldman Sachs did with oil prices. Claiming that it would reach 200 dollars a gallon and on the other hand selling it at its current price of 150

Sorry everyone. The gold drop today was my fault.

After Friday's plunge, I figured at least some retrace was a no brainer, so I bought some. As usual, my purchase resulted in an immediate plunge in the markets, and this time it was a big one.

I bought at about $1440. As I write this, the price is 1334.22.

The CURSE OF THE PHARAOH strikes again.

PPPPHHHHHHUUUUUUU..........

Since I have once again proven that I can wreck the world's gold markets, I recommend that all of you send me large quantities of gold, silver, livestock, servant girls, rare gems, etc., or else I'll take advantage of these lower prices and buy more gold! :p

Since I have once again proven that I can wreck the world's gold markets, I recommend that all of you send me large quantities of gold, silver, livestock, servant girls, rare gems, etc., or else I'll take advantage of these lower prices and buy more gold! :p

I'll be selling some gold!
Gold M15.jpg

Gold Daily Update, Tue 16, April 2013

Good morning,
looks like I forgot to reserve posts...
As market has turned to free fall and doom and gloom, we have to deal only with strict, definite paterns and apply FIFO trading style - Fast in Fast out. Taking only clear shor-term setups, and taking fast profit without marry any position.
Plunge down was probably not due blast in Boston. Since major support area was broken - Funds, Investors have turned to massive sell-off. In our long-term analysis we've pointed 1200+ area as next target, but I suspect that we can see deeper move to 50% all time level. Yesterday gold has shown all-time plunge down. Market is oversold on monthly as it never been.
I think that we probably will still get VOB pattern on monthy chart - that will be huge assistance and luck for us, since we will get direction for long time ahead.

Currently, I see only single possibility for trading here - 4-hour DiNapoli "B&B" sell Setup:
gold_4h_16_04_13.png

Market should close above 3x3 DMA (green line) and reached either 3/8 at 1400 Fib resistance or may be 50% level where we can try to take short position. Target is 0.618 Fib support of whole upward move. This will be approx. 50$ per contract, so not small move, because volatiliy has increased significantly now.

Gold Daily Update, Wed 17, April 2013

Good morning,
yesterday we've decided to take only strict and clear setups and patterns and started our journey with DiNapoli B&B "Sell" on 4-hour chart.
Recall that pattern's initial setup and triggering point is reaching of major resistance within 1-3 closes above green line, that is 3x3 DMA. So, this has happened and market has turned to choppy downward action:
gold_4h_17_04_13.png

At the same time, the target of this pattern is 5/8 support of whole backward move, that is 1353 area and market has not reached it yet. In current situation it makes sense to protect your short position with either breakeven stop loss or, at least tight the stop closer. That is because here is the risk of appearing butterfly on hourly chart. Although B&B itself and market mechanics do not suggest appearing of it, and odds are not very high that butterfly will appear - still this is the risk.
Second - don't follow temptation to hold short position longer (if only this will happen occasionally and market plunge). We need strictly follow the setup and B&B trade assumes guaranteed target only at 1553 area.
gold_1h_17_04_13.png

Second - don't follow temptation to hold short position longer (if only this will happen occasionally and market plunge). We need strictly follow the setup and B&B trade assumes guaranteed target only at 1553 area.

You mean 1353 area ?

Gold Daily Update, Thu 18, April 2013

Good morning,
So, the target of B&B "Sell" pattern at 1353 has been achieved. In general, it's nothing to comment on daily time frame. We see side by side three candles with long tails, some kind of high wave candles that indicates market indecision and shock relief after plunge on Monday. In fact market has no support between 1530 and 1275 area and stands in free fall condition. One thing that holds it - oversold condition (from technical standpoint of cause).
gold_d_18_04_13.png

On 4-hour chart I would like to discuss possible development till the end of the week. Here I see only 2 possible patterns - either Butterfly "Buy" or upward AB=CD. Personally I treat Butterfly as more reasonable, because current price action is too flat to treat it as BC leg, also we have something that looks like bearish dynamic pressure - trend has turned bullish on 4-hour chart, but price stands flat. Besides, butterfly target is 1300 that could be attractive as psychological area.

gold_4h_18_04_13.png

On hourly chart we see that our 1353 target has been hit and also we see flat action more clear. Honestly speaking, since we've decided to stick with clear pattern - it is better do nothing right now here and watch for two points. First is butterfly invalidation point and the second is low of potential BC leg. As any of it will be broken, market probably will continue with this direction. I suspect that downward move has more chances to happen here.
gold_1h_18_04_13.png

Back