GOLD PRO Weekly January 06-10, 2014

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals
Gold rose 1 percent on Friday, rallying for a second consecutive day with a boost from renewed fund buying and equities' weakness after bullion posted its worst annual decline in 2013 in more than 30 years. Brisk coin buying, strong Chinese physical demand and new positions initiated by funds related to new-year index rebalancing also helped lift gold to a weekly gain of more than 2 percent, its largely rise in 10 weeks. Analysts said gold appeared to find support from equities' losses this week after bullion's tumble and the stock market's strong run last year. "Positive bullion prices in reaction to the decline in equities may set the tone for 2014 and reinforce the negative correlation between the two," said James Steel, chief precious metals analyst at HSBC. Traders also cited short covering for the metal's strength as bullion has rallied more than 4 percent after hitting a six-month low at under $1,200 an ounce on Tuesday. U.S. Comex gold futures for February delivery settled up $13.40 at $1,238.60 an ounce, with trading volume about 20 percent below its 30-day average, preliminary Reuters data showed.
Gold's gains came after it lost nearly 30 percent in 2013, ending a 12-year bull run, largely due to the U.S. Federal Reserve's plan to unwind its monetary stimulus. Bullion's second day of sharp gains came as U.S. stocks eased on Friday, extending a broad decline in the new year with major indexes on track to end the week lower. Premiums on the Shanghai Gold Exchange showed that Chinese buying has picked up in recent days as global prices hovered around $1,200 near the end of 2013, dealers said. Also boosting gold market sentiment were brisk sales of the U.S. Mint's new 2014-dated American Eagle gold coins on the first business day of the year, extending last year's strength boosted by gold prices' broad decline.
Some analysts, however, cautioned that the upward momentum in the early days of the new year may only last a few weeks due to some index rebalancing activity. A stronger U.S. dollar and heavy losses in crude oil prices this week could pressure the precious metal as more participants return next week following the recent holidays, said Edward Meir, metals analyst at brokerage INTL FCStone.
Among other precious metals, silver rose 0.4 percent to $20.08 an ounce. Platinum gained 0.4 percent to $1,406.74, and palladium eased 0.1 percent to $725.72 an ounce. Platinum group metals now digest news that the top four automakers in the U.S. market missed December sales expectations. However, 2013 will still easily be the best year for the industry since before the recession.
CFTC data has not changed much from previous week. Recent data shows increasing of short positions with shy growth of open interest, but hardly we could call changes as significant.
CFTC_Gold_30_12_13.gif

Monthly
January has started with upward action. Our forum member Triantus yesterday has posted chart where we can see that gold market has cleared 1180 lows. This is really significant moment and it could point our analysis upside down. Thus I’ve checked different exchanged-traded charts. Bullion price on London exchange shows that there was no W&R of 1180 lows. While continious futures on COMEX shows that there was really W&R of previous lows. If this is really the case, then all becomes clear – why market has shown solid appreciation and that AUD action was really very helpful for analysis of gold market.
CMX-GOLD 100 OZ.png
Other changes are still shy here. Trend still holds bearish. As on EUR, here I also have drawn new yearly Pivot Points. Appearing of 1361 Yearly PP could get special meaning from possible retracement point of view. It could become possible nearest upside target. Yearly PR1 is also very significant. We know that gold likes to re-test previously broken lows and consolidations. 1540 area is monthly overbought, YPR1 and low border of broken long-term rectangle. As market was strongly oversold, why it can’t reach overbought? This is very typical action for any market.
As another application of significantly oversold we’ve suggested retracement up. Thus, we’ve made an assumption of possible deeper upward retracement that could take a shape of AB=CD, and invalidation for this setup is previous lows around 1170s. In fact current move up could be the last chance for possible upward bounce, if, say, market will show something like double bottom. Currently price action is very suitable for that – W&R of first bottom. This action in general is very typical for double bottoms and fake breakout could be the first sign of possible retracement up. Bearish market has no other reasons to stop right here, since there is no support right now – it has passed through 3/8 support, it’s not at oversold. Currently we should keep a close eye on move up. Now I’m gravitating to the thought that there really was W&R. Comex data is more reliable than just some Retail Forex broker, even Alpari UK.

gold_m_06_01_14.png

Weekly
Trend is still bearish here. Initially we’ve thought that this could become butterfly “buy” pattern, but it also could be “222” Buy, since if we’ve suggested that AB=CD has been completed and W&R really has happened, this could be double bottom. Also take a look, we have solid bullish divergence with MACD. By treating valleys as AB=CD pattern we’ll see that minor extension stands almost right at Yearly Pivot Point, and 1.618 extension stands slightly higher than Yearly PR1. This is really interesting agreement. Weekly chart points that we should search possibility for long entry. Odds suggest that after AB=CD completion market usually shows at minimum 3/8 retracement, and on the weekly chart this will be not small move. This, of cause, makes sense only if W&R of 1180 lows really has happened. If we will be wrong with this suggestion then we will get the trap that we’ve discussed previously.
gold_w_06_01_14.png

Daily
As we’ve decided that CME Gold futures charts deserve more trust than Alpari UK ones, let’s suggest that market still has touched daily targets. Now market stands above WPP and WPR1, trend holds bullish here. In this case we need to search possibility enter long. Next destination point is 1250 Fib resistance accompanied by MPR1 and daily overbought. In general, we could get reversed H&S pattern here that should lead market at minimum to 1280-1293 K-resistance area, but this is a bit extended view. So, if we will be lucky we will get chance to take long position prior 1250, if not – then we will need to wait bounce off the 1250 resistance to take position.
gold_d_06_01_14.png

4-hour
On 4-hour chart we probably have smaller Double Bottom pattern, since W&R stands also for recent intraday lows as well. Target of this pattern is the same – 1250 level. Trend is bullish here.
gold_4h_06_01_14.png

1-hour
Hourly chart shows that retracement down still could possible prior reaching of 1250 area. Thus, here we have wedge pattern accompanied by divergence and Tweezer tops pattern. This pattern is not as strong as, say, engulfing pattern, but still, it has reversal quality. Depending on how this retracement will develop, I hope we will understand whether this was real reversal up or not yet. At first glance 1218 level looks acceptable, since this is combination of Fib support and neck line of 4-hour Double Bottom pattern.
gold_1h_06_01_14.png

Conclusion:
Currently we still have suspicions concerning reality of reversal, although we have to appoint that upward action looks really nice. We still will try to rely on COMEX Data and treat this move as reversal. In long term perspective market could hit as Yearly PP as PR1 that stands in agreement with gold’s habit and weekly AB=CD pattern. After retracement will be completed we can’t exclude another leg down, since in 2013 we’ve got volatility breakout. And, as a rule, VOB leads to 2-leg action.
In short-term perspective upward action has 1250 target. If market will show retracement down before it will hit 1250, we will try to take long position. At first glance 1218 level looks suitable.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Gold daily update, Tue 07, January 2014

Good morning,
As we suspect that this could be reversal on gold and market could reach 1360 and 1530 correspondingly, before second leg down of volatility breakout will follow - we have to keep an eye on potential reverse H&S pattern on daily chart. This pattern will have twofold meaning. First is short-term trading setup and second but most important as indicator of bullish ambitions. If market will fail to form H&S, then it will mean that there will not be any solid upward move and price will continue move down. That's why we have to watch closely over it:

gold_d_07_01_14.png

As I have no intentions to enter short here and our major task is not miss long entry oportunity around 1220 rather than make profit on scalp short position, but I abolutely do not object against it. Thus, 1250 level is not bad resistance and neckline of our potential H&S pattern, so if you would like try to take short from there - it is possible.
But first - take a look at 4-hour chart. Market has not quite reached the target of Double bottom pattern. So it is better to not take short position until market will not reach 1250-1255 area.
gold_4h_07_01_14.png

The same we can say based on hourly chart. Price has not quite reached AB=CD target at 1255 (and may be even WPR1) and now is forming bullish dynamic pressure - MACD moves down, while market is forming higher highs and higher lows. No exhausted patterns have been formed yet.
gold_1h_07_01_14.png

Last edited:
Gold daily update, Wed 08, January 2014

Good morning,

on daily chart picture has not changed too much. It looks like that market has started bounce down from resistance. On daily time frame our major focus still is possible reversed H&S pattern. So, now we should monitor price action around right shoulder bottom. If market will really hold where it should and pattern will start to work, we will think about long entry:

gold_d_08_01_14.png

On 4-hour chart market has not quite reached 1250 Fib resistance and WPR1. Bounce down is not significant yet and theoretically chances on some upward continuation still exist. That's why on 4-hour chart we need to get price return below neckline of Double bottom pattern and WPP or even better to see taking out of spike's low. THis will tell us that market has started to form right shoulder of the pattern. There we will start to search possibility to enter long:
gold_4h_08_01_14.png

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Thu 09, January 2014

Good morning,
Gold market now stands somewhere between bullish and bearish sentiment, and in such circumstances it is not attractive for active trading. Thus, market has not quite reached 1250-1267 resistance cluster - neither reached Fib level, nor MPR1+WPR1 nor neckline of possible H&S pattern. If market will start move down and return right below WPP - this will look suspicious and could be first sign of possible downward continuation. To rely on reversal we need to get pattern and reversal swing up but now we have nothing:
gold_d_09_01_14.png

On 4-hour chart we have to closely watch on current support-neckline of former double bottom pattern and WPP. Because if market will pass through it down - this will be a bit contradicting to forming of H&S on daily chart and could put foundation to 1200 and then to 1000+ level. To keep intrigue of possible reversal market should hold above it and then contunue move to neckline on daily around 1260:
gold_4h_09_01_14.png

So, right now gold market is not very interesting for active trading, since we have nothing to rely on and any position will be accompanied by solid risk. Having either H&S or move to 1200 area will make trading much safer and clearer.

Last edited:
Gold Daily Update Fri 10, January 2014

Good morning,
it seems that gold has heard us and rebounded up again precisely from the crucial level. It means that price action has held the chances to form reversal pattern and we will continue to stand on this course. If market would show donward action yesterday - that could become the sign of weakness and first bell of possible downward continuation. When market forms reversal pattern it should not show any action of this kind:

gold_d_10_01_14.png

On 4-hour chart we see this bounce up. Now we have AB=CD pattern and minor 0.618 extension stands precisely around neckline area of daily reverse H&S pattern. That is what we want to get. Also, if market will form some kind of butterfly here - 1.27 extension of recent swing down stands in the same area as well. So let's continue watching...
gold_4h_10_01_14.png

Last edited:
Not Sure!

Hi Sive,
I would like to thank you for your efforts and great analysis.

I have one concern which is though technically it might b a wash and rinse, but practicality I find it very difficult to believe that the gold just broke the yearly low with few pips! The normal expectation is that many trades would have thier stops below the previous low and gold did not really was these stop!

Honestly, I find it very difficult to trade the market these days as it does not really seems to follow either fundamentals nor technicals.

I appreciate your comments and views

Dear Sive,

Thanks for the analysis, you were quite right.... the price shot right down to 1218 / 1219 in one candle in 15 min chart, and it shot back up into the 1240 area (at time of typing this). Now, im abit confused as to what position to take long/short as this all happened so quickly? Thanks.

Fang

i'm with you fang. actually, that spike down happened in a few secs, if you can believe it. it was totally unreal. considering the dent in the market this made, the candle size and so on, and yet, no follow-through whatsoever. it makes no sense. also, just looking at H4, nothing strikes me as saying 'the market is going up from here.' so i entered short at 1241.5 (not just because of H4, of course, just keeping story short ;) ).

of course, i could be wrong... actually i will be wrong as long as that support around 1236.7/1237.0 is holding. if it doesn't hold, then DPP and DPS1 will be my first 2 TPs. DPS1 is at the same level as top of previous S/R box, around 1225.0. then, of course, we have the first 38.2% fib level, but... well... let's see first if market will finally break support or not.

@ahmed: gold market drives me crazy too. everyone is saying fundamentals don't support the bullish trade, so we should expect more selling. but then, GS says gold will be up to 1,300 before it reaches 1,110 and global funds and asset managers are rebalancing portfolios and supposedly going to move money from stocks into metals, thus making it a short-term bull market even though fundamentals say sell gold?

so which one is it? this is why maybe we should only look at the chart and when we see the signs of bears, then sell, and signs of bulls, then buy. fundamentals or no fundamentals. ;)

P.S: i closed the trade around 1240 as i have to do something else; i never leave trades unattended and since i can't stay in front of computer, i had no choice but close. anyway, this is not the right time to trade gold anyway, being the afternoon NY time. it would be typical to find out when i come back that asia pushed the market to my first target. aaahhh patience, so much patience.... ;)

Last edited:
Yeah , it was unreal man... I open a short position at around 1246 and went off for a ciggarette, I came back and saw the plunge down had hit my TP at 1219. Shocking but good news for me, I guess that plunge would have killed a lot of SL for other traders if they had open a long position.

Fgold Jan 6th - poll

How did your broker deal with this spike?

my trade:

long, SL 1241,25, closed by broker at 1230.

I wonder if I entered short with TP 1241,25, would there be a possibility that TP was triggered at 1230?

Back