Section 75 Protection (UK legislation)

bobsbeer

Corporal
I have just come across this piece of legislation that would apply to those using UK issued credit cards. Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. This would appear (I have not yet taken proper legal advice), to be a more powerful method of claiming from scam companies, as it covers breach of contract, such as refusing to withdraw monies, but also covers payment to overseas companies, than the chargeback method.

Has anyone used this method to claim back monies scammed?

www.theukcardsassociation.org.ukMore details about Section 75

Your rights under Section 75

Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, the credit card company is jointly and severally liable for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the company.

This means it is just as responsible as the retailer or trader for the goods or service supplied, allowing you to also put your claim to the credit card company.

You don't have to reach a stalemate with the retailer or trader before you can contact your credit card provider - you can make a claim to both the retailer and credit card provider simultaneously, although you can't recover your losses from both.

This right is particularly useful if the retailer or trader has gone bust, or it doesn't respond to your letters or phone calls.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act also applies to foreign transactions as well as goods bought online, by telephone or mail order for delivery to the UK from overseas.

For More details Visit these two links
Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act - Which.co.uk
Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act - The UK Cards

Sources: www.which.co.uk &
www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk

Thanks @FxMaster. I had seen that source of info, but it may help others who are in the UK. I have also seen more info regarding this on The Money Saving Expert website. While the legislation appears fairly straight forwards, I can't find any reference to anyone making a claim due to a broker's failure to allow a withdrawal of funds in breach of contract, and wondered if anyone had used this method successfully.

Back