FOREX PRO Weekly April 01-05, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
Due to Easter holiday it was short week, especially if we take into consideration that market was flat even before this. Not all time frames have significant moments, but monthly time frame shows important things. I’m particularly speaking about triggering of bearish engulfing pattern. Take a look – market has closed below the low of it and officially has triggered the pattern.
Technically pattern is important per se, since it lets us to stick with it and understand when we can speak about bullish or bearish trend. Thus, until market will not take 1.3730 high – it is difficult to tell about re-establishing of bullish trend here. The minimum target usually is a length of the bars and it points on 1.2450-1.25 area. I usually apply a bit conservative targets by using just candle bodies, but if we will measure total height of engulfing pattern from low to high – we’ll see that its target stands right around Yearly Pivot Support 1 at 1.2330. Since market has moved below YPP – as you know very often price gravitates to PS1. So, price action and pattern is bearish here, and our major direction in medium term perspective will be bearish, until, as we’ve said market will not take out previous highs and will not erase this pattern.

eur_m_01_04_13.png

Weekly
Trend is bearish here, market is not at oversold. We haven’t got any drastical changes and progress on previous week, although overall action was down. Looking on perspective a bit, there are some moments here that are worthy of our attention, I suppose. Take a note that market has not shown any reasonable retracement (at least 3/8) since the beginning of the year, i.e. during current trend down. Second – look how market has passed through weekly K-support. There was no respect here. This tells us how weak market is and warning us that market could re-test this area from below. One of the features of K-level, as well as any other solid areas – when market passes through it without respect, it significantly increases probability of return to this area but from the opposite side.
In April broken K-area coinsides with MPR1=1.3050 and MPS1 coinsides with our next target and next major Fib level around 1.2680. That is also previous swing low. The major conclusion that could be done here is: Trend is bearish, but we should not be surprised if we will see some reversal or exhausted patterns on daily chart that could trigger retracement to 1.3050 area. This is not neccesary to happen, but if it will – we know what to expect. May be this move to 1.3050 will happen after touching of 1.2670, this is also possible. I’m telling all these moments mostly to wake up your attention, so you will not skip and ignore any possible bullish patterns if they will appear on daily chart, for instance.

eur_w_01_04_13.png

Daily
On previous week we mostly have talked about downward continuation and so on. Thus, with downward development should be all clear. Still, as we’ve said above – market could start a bounce to re-test weekly K-resistance, but we currently do not know will it happen at all or if it will – from which level bounce up could start. Since we have no clear patterns here – we will use harmonic swings. I’m not tired to repeat again the importance of harmonic numbers on any market.
EUR confirms the specific of well-trending market – since the start of the year very harmonic swings as up as down. Take a look – all retracements up are near equal. Moves down (red lines) are as well, and what is interesting – market stands right at the end point of this downward move. It means that we could see 1 harmonic retracement up, that will lead price right to MPP. Double harmonic swing up leads market precisely to MPR1 and disrespected weekly K-resistance. Since price action has formed two inside sessions, hardly it will remain here for long period.
eur_d_01_04_13.png

4-hour
On 4-hour chart is not much to talk about – the same downward channel. One moment that could have some value is inner AB=CD pattern, market has reached it’s target and now shows the bounce up. Now is a major question – will it be just a bounce or it could be starting point of something greater.
eur_4h_01_04_13.png

60-min
Here is almost the same situation as on Thursday. The structure of price action reminds retracement, hardly it could be called as impulse move. As we’ve discussed previously – this retracement already has reached level, until which we would not have any suspicions about greater upward challenges. As we’ve said – till the K-area and re-testing of previous consolidation bears could feel themselves on even keel. But moving above this level will add pressure to overall situation. In this case we probably will have to take a pause and to wait some time to understand what is going on and why this move up has happened. Actually now we have no definite patterns that point on possible reversal here, except, may be some relative moments, such as harmonic swings, new untouched MPP and lower border of channel on 4-hour chart. May be current action looks like reverse H&S, I’m not absolutely sure. To be honest – I better prefer to see any pullback, if it will have to happen anyway, from 5/8 Fib support. But how it will turn in reality – we’ll see.
Anyway – if you’re bearish and want to enter short, current area is most suitable for this purpose, because your invalidation point will be right above K-area and you will be able to take mosition with minimum risk. But is it really bearish short-term context here – this is quite different question.
If market will break this resistance and return right back inside of previous consolidation – this could be start point of greater upward AB=CD action, or even retracement to MPR1. Besides, take a look that WPP stands very close to MPP on coming week.
eur_1h_01_04_13.png

Conclusion:
On monthly chart market finally has triggered bearish engulfing pattern that theoretically could lead price to Yearly Pivot Support 1 around 1.2330. Thus, we have long term direction and target. The major point is – where will be safe to enter short.
The fact that market has not shown even 3/8 pullback from the start of the year and existence of disrespected K-resistance area, untouched MPP and WPP above the market increases the odds of upward retracement. The problem though that we do not have any key to it, since we do not have any bullish patterns. That’s why it is difficult predict will this retracement start and when. It will be perfect if it will start from major 5/8 support, but market quite rare gives us perfect setups.
Taking into consideration all that moments, it is probably makes sense to monitor current action on hourly chart, particularly K-resistance area. Setup here suggests, that if market will hold below this area and continue move lower – bears still control the market, but if price will break this level – it could become deeper retracement.
If you’re sure that market is bearish, and current situation doesn’t embarrass you – this level is good opportunity, mostly because invalidation point will be close, and if even you will be wrong, you will not loose much.
So, guys, such neutral conclusion on this week… Still don’t be upset too much, situation changes quickly now.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update, Tue 02, April 2012

Good morning,
Europe is just waking up after Easter Monday, while US markets have worked yesterday.
As we've discussed in weekly thread - harmonic swings analysis suggests solid odd of upward bounce. The major question - will it be in double or just usual single swing. Since we do not have right now any solid patterns on our back we have to either sit on the hands or find the entry point that will minimize our risks.

On daily time frame trend has turned bullish, market has tested once WPP and almost completed single harmonic swing retracement. Still, we probably should see another leg up, mostly due untouched MPP that stands just 30 pips higher:
eur_d_02_04_13.png

Situation is tricky now, mostly because we can't confirm or confute deeper move up to 1.3117 level. Based on 4-hour time frame current move up could be as AB=CD re-testing of previously broken support level or, move right to upper border of the channel, since price has returned right back inside of it:
eur_4h_02_04_13.png

On hourly chart we see that market has completed AB=CD pattern right at WPP and previous support level. Still, we can't enter short right now (may be only for scalp trade on 15 min chart to catch retracement), since daily and 4-hour trends are bullish and we do not have any bearish pattern or DiNapoli directional pattern. Hourly charts shows what bears could be focused on. Since MPP stands slightly higher than WPP - it could be 3-drive "sell" pattern, if market now will show 3/8 or 5/8 retracement as respect of AB=CD completion and later will show another move up. In this case - we will try to take this risk, but not right now.
If you would like to take long position - this is possible, but minimize risk. 1.28 area, probaby is mostly suitable for that purpose. Minimum target will be around MPP. Currently it is difficult to say more and forecast further. When this setup will be completed - we will need to look, whether market will give us other hints on possible upward continuation or not. Or it will continue downtrend triggering by 3-Drive "Sell"... ECB meeting could put adjustments on overall situation here, but with Cyprus on the back I do not expect any drastical changes in ECB rethoric. That's why currenty EUR/JPY looks a bit clear, mostly due JPY weakness.

eur_1h_02_04_13.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Wed 03, April 2013

Good morning,

On daily chart price action looks rather tight, market probably has not waken up yet from holidays. Still, overall price action reminds bearish flag pattern, so the question is not whether downward move will continue or not, but when it will happen. If market will stop just with single retracement swing up and hold previous tendency - then it should reach 1.2520 area by the next harmonic swing down. This level is the target of bearish engulfing on monthly chart:

eur_d_03_04_13.png

On 4-hour chart trend has turned bearish and almost nothing to comment. The flag could be seen even better here.

eur_4h_03_04_13.png

The most interesting for us is hourly chart. Thus, price has reached prespecified level - 5/8 support. Actually we have the reasons to suggest that market could show another leg up to 1.29. It could be 3-drive pattern, both downward moves with it have contraction and retracement nature - no impulse acceleration and, finally we have untouched MPP. But whether enter Long or not is quite other tune. Actually I see no reason for that, except may be tight stop loss and good risk/reward ratio. Stop could be placed just below first drive low. I would better say that this will be position that has solid probability of loss with solid potential profit and the only attractive thing here - that this loss probably will be small. So decide - would you like to enter long here or not.

eur_1h_03_04_13.png

If market will break the low of first drive - short entry will be safer and there will be a lot of time to catch small rally in intraday charts to step in.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Thu 04, April 2013

Good morning,
yesterday action was very shallow, as well as the whole current week. Current upward action could be a short covering before ECB meeting. On daily time frame all analysis stands the same - I've just added the lines of bearish flag. In general downward move will continue when market will break it. But here two questions exist - whether market will test MPP or even continue move higher and double retracement harmonic swing or - will fall down?

eur_d_04_04_13.png

I can assume that move to 1.29 is possible due volatility during ECB announcement and their position on Cyprus problems, but to exceed this level and show deeper retracement - some more valuable news are needed. Thus, for short entry we should wait either 1.29 area, that will give us 3-Drive Sell pattern or downward breakout of 1.28. In this case better to use stop entry order somewhere around 1.2780-1.2785 with stop above the lower border of the flag. Bears do not want to see solid upward impulse candles approaching to 1.29. If this will be the case - do not haste to enter short at 1.29, wait, since this could be the start of deeper retracement.
eur_1h_04_04_13.png

Conversely, if you're bullish - I do not see any possibility to take position right now (if even do not take into consideration that I do not want to enter long at all here). MOstly because the minimum guaranteed target is 1.29, but your stop should be somewhere below previous swing low. That will give 1:1 risk/reward ratio and extended risk before ECB. I'm not sure that this is wise to take it. If you're entered long yesterday - manage your position, take the half of the profit and move stop to b/e on the rest, or at least tight stops.
I hope that after ECB some more transparency will come and we better will understand short-term perspective.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Fri 05, April 2013

Good morning,
just we've talked how EUR anemic is and have recieved doom and gloom action on ECB speech. Previously our major question was wether market will show more extended retracement or limit action by just single harmonic swing up. Now, probably we have the answer. On daily chart price has moved above MPP and WPP and exceeded single harmonic swing level. A bit lower I will show you another moments, why I think that EUR will continue move up. Thus, next target stands around MPR1, major 3/8 resistance and daily overbought - 1.31-1.3110 area.
eur_d_05_04_13.png

On hourly chart we probably have to search possibility to enter Long and personally, I like 1.29 level - this is natural former resistance, 3/8 Fib support and WPP+MPP area. So market could re-test it before continue move up. One thing that is worring me is that market could turn up a bit earlier. Since we have breakout of the flag - price could just re-test its upper border and continue move further. Wether to apply scale-in or not - it is difficult question. But major level to watch for is 1.29
eur_1h_05_04_13.png

And now as I promised - why I think that EUR will continue move up. Here I rely on EUR/JPY pair that gives greater confidence with it:
eurjpy_4h_05_04_13.png

Take a look Butterfly "sell" on daily/4h charts with potential reversal point around 130, excellent impulse acceleration prior reaching of AB=CD downward target. Of cause, we all know about new aggresive BoJ policy and their running for inflation. Still, I hope that some part of EUR appreciation stands here as well.

Last edited:
CAD

Hello everybody!

I know Sive is busy so I invite anyone to give an opinion on CAD.

I know I am off topic but for the purpose of learning it is very useful to comment with people who have the same interests.

So
On Monthly TF the price action is sideways, in the range of September 2011.
Monthly TF gives the direction and the target. We have Bullish SG with the target above the previous high at 1.618 expansion and 88.6 retracement of last swing down. The move to 61.8 was impressive and gives additional confidence that it will continue.

Daily TF shows ABCD 100 retracement to Confluence support. I dont know if it will hold but there is a chance to move the stops on first bounce. The next suitable area to go long is 1.272 ABCD that is also Daily confluence and the length of previous retracement.

H4 shows something like a Butterfly so I will trade from 100 ABCD witch is also 1.618 extension of the butterfly.

The risk is that the price will continue to go lower and consolidate inside Monthly triangle.

Attachments

• usdcadmonthly.png
    usdcadmonthly.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 25
  • usdcadh4.png
    usdcadh4.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 23
  • usdcaddaily.png
    usdcaddaily.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thanks for your analysis this week, Sive.

It is much appreciated.

Doesn't seem like there is much activity on the forum but I definitely come on to FPA each night to read your analysis as it is very beneficial to my trading.

Hi Brandon,
actually I do not quite understand why activity and interest has reduced significant here. Do you visit any other threads on FPA site? May be people has shifted to other parts? Do you see more activity on other parts and threads ?

Back